Photo

Bates Motel

27 replies to this topic
theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

I'm back as a changed man.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:50 PM Edited by theomenofficial, 26 May 2013 - 02:44 PM.

user posted image
Carlton Cuse (Lost) and Kerry Ehrin (Friday Night Lights) create a seductively eerie atmosphere with their present-day set prequel to Psycho, Bates Motel. It is seductive in the sense that it draws you in, enticing with just enough mystery to keep the viewer guessing, but not so much that it becomes muddled and frustrating. On the most fundamental level, the series is designed to explore how Norman Bates’ (Freddie Highmore) psyche unravels through his teenage years and unveil the dark, twisted story of his deeply entwined relationship with his mother, Norma (Vera Farmiga).

The pilot episode, "First You Dream, Then You Die" introduces the audience to the show's new vision for these iconic characters.
Norman, of course, was made famous by Anthony Perkins' performance in Alfred Hitchcock's genre defining film. "Mother" existed only as a splintered fragment of sick and tormented Norman's mind (and as a bit of old-lady jerky) but she is no less of an icon in her own right. Norma, the flesh and blood, living version of the woman who would become a preserved corpse in Psycho, is an invention of the Bates Motel world. The series, in a sense, is one version of an answer to the question: "what happened between that woman and her child?"

Norma and Norman must move to the grey and misty coastal Northern California town of White Pine Bay following the possibly-possibly-not-accidental death of his father. With the insurance money Norma buys a fix-er-up-er motel in the hopes that running it will mean a new life for them. What they find is that the motel and the town have buried secrets and hidden dangers of their own. White Pine Bay itself acts as a metaphor or outward manifestation of Norman - pristine and inviting on the outside, with violence bubbling just under the surface.

In terms of the tone, the series effectively manages to blend in elements from the time-period of the source material into the modern world. Norman's innocence could easily feel out of place in 2013, but the show makes that work to its advantage. He is endearingly awkward, but not so much so that he is unrelatable. When two of the girls in his school start subtly vying for his attention we understand why they would be drawn to his sweetness as something unique and valuable in a world that is so often cynical. His vulnerability allows us as the audience to root for him, to hope, despite ourselves and the knowledge of where things are ultimately headed, that he might find another way.

Does anyone here watch this?
The first episode just came yesterday and I'm hooked. It's so amazing. wow.gif
It's also based on one of my favorite films: Psycho.
I'm dying for the next episode. biggrin.gif

EDIT: Spoiler for Psycho edited out.

Episode 1 Synopsis: Norman and his mother Norma buy a run down motel and house following the death of his father. This prequel to the Psycho films is set in modern times so the teenage Norman fights with his mother, deals with high school parties, flirty girls and teen drama while his mother deals with stalking by the menacing former owner of the property and a nosy sheriff.

Episode 2 Synopsis: Dylan wastes no time causing trouble at home and all the while, the Bates family is inexorably drawn into the dark underbelly of White Pine Bay.

Episode 3 Synopsis: The sheriff executes a search warrant and could expose Norma and Norman. Meanwhile we learn how his step brother earns his easy money. Norman experiences hallucinations and may have exposed another secret the town is keeping.

Episode 4 Synopsis: Dylan and Norman bond over their similar suspicions about Deputy Shelby’s motives with regards to Norma. Meanwhile, Deputy Shelby attempts to get closer to Norman in an effort to gain both his and Norma’s trust. Also, Norman’s friendship with Bradley blossoms as he continues to help her cope with her grief. Finally, Sheriff Romero’s investigation into Keith Summers’ disappearance turns up a particularly grisly and damning piece of evidence.

Episode 5 Synopsis:

I will finish this tomorrow (27/5/13)

Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:58 PM

Sounds interesting... what channel is it on (UK)?

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:22 PM Edited by theomenofficial, 19 March 2013 - 08:26 PM.

QUOTE (Indi @ Tuesday, Mar 19 2013, 20:58)
Sounds interesting...  what channel is it on (UK)?

It's not here in the UK yet.
I watch it online.

TRAILER

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:23 PM

I've seen the commercials. I really wish they'd have set it in the 40s or 50s, instead of this present time BS.

rotipuj
  • rotipuj

That's all I got

• Members

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:36 AM Edited by rotipuj, 26 March 2013 - 09:07 AM.

Watched the first episode. Looks good to me. I just hope they don't ruin it. Will watch the second episode tonight.

EDIT: So I just watched the 2nd episode and I can say that this show has me totally hooked. I hope it stays that way.

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:09 AM

Glad to hear that!
I'm just about to watch the second episode now.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica
  • Yardie Achievement Award

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:25 PM

It's an interesting show. Norman is a pretty dark dork. I expected him to be weird, but I didn't think he'd be that weird in the beginning.

rotipuj
  • rotipuj

That's all I got

• Members

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:50 AM

Watched the third episode. This show is turning out to be great. But it seems to me that they are moving a bit fast.

rotipuj
  • rotipuj

That's all I got

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:17 AM

Fourth episode was great. The actors are doing a great job. And Norma is so hot! inlove.gif
@theomenofficial You watching this? Also, anyone else?

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:07 PM

Just going to watch this episode now, I just finished school.
Watching this now so I can watch Revolution in the night. inlove.gif

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:10 AM

Best episode so far!

So much stuff happened in this episode! (Episode 6)

rotipuj
  • rotipuj

That's all I got

• Members

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:06 AM

I haven't watched it after the 4th episode. I dunno, just didn't feel like it.

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:01 PM

Keep watching it.
Episode 6 is where the show goes from good to AMAZING!
It moves really fast in Episode 6, so many things are revealed.

rotipuj
  • rotipuj

That's all I got

• Members

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:02 PM

QUOTE (theomenofficial @ Tuesday, Apr 23 2013, 14:01)
Keep watching it.
Episode 6 is where the show goes from good to AMAZING!
It moves really fast in Episode 6, so many things are revealed.

Will watch it tomorrow then.

UrbanTheEmcee
  • UrbanTheEmcee

I'm that bada** n*gga yo moms warned you about.

• Members

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:02 PM

Good show. I thought I was the only one who was watching it. Nice to know other people are interested as well.

SwizZzle
  • SwizZzle

Horseless Headsman™

• Members

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:40 PM

Recently watched it on my DVR and watched the first four episodes in one sitting.
That show is the best one I have seen in a while.

unc13bud
  • unc13bud

Weekend Answerer

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:10 PM

I think its a terrible show, but vera farmiga is so hot. i'm kind of surprised she is doing a television show, but welcome the opportunity to ogle her once a week... i watch the shows with the sound off.

Flight180Victm
  • Flight180Victm

Give me the power, I beg of you!

• Members

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:00 AM

QUOTE (unc13bud @ Monday, Apr 29 2013, 17:10)
I think its a terrible show, but vera farmiga is so hot. i'm kind of surprised she is doing a television show, but welcome the opportunity to ogle her once a week... i watch the shows with the sound off.

If you think it's so terrible then GTFO. suicidal.gif

Rudy
  • Rudy

Mack Pimp

• Zaibatsu
  • France

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:35 AM

The show is quite entertaining so far. Norma is just plain crazy, and Norman has no chance of being normal with a mother like that, with or without his mental illness. But I do enjoy the role played by them.

I just hope they don't change Bradley's character, and turn her into "That bitch from the ditch".

unc13bud
  • unc13bud

Weekend Answerer

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:48 PM

If you think it's so terrible then GTFO

you gonna make me? happy.gif why didn't you create the title with "don't post in this thread unless you like this show" i watch a lot of a&e, first 48, parking wars, storage wars. i can't help watching bates motel commercials when i visit relatives (i don't watch TV at home)

Flight180Victm
  • Flight180Victm

Give me the power, I beg of you!

• Members

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:12 PM

QUOTE (unc13bud @ Friday, May 3 2013, 19:48)
If you think it's so terrible then GTFO

why didn't you create the title with "don't post in this thread unless you like this show"

I didn't make the thread.

Dumbass rolleyes.gif

johnny_zoo
  • johnny_zoo

Aces!

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:12 PM

Watched the Pilot episode last night. It was OK. I thought I check it out since Carlton Cuse is on it and I loved Lost. Maybe it will turn out to be alright.

Anyway here's my thoughts on it:

The rape scene was shocking. Didn't expect that. Then my southern regions stirred. Great now I got a new reason to hate myself.

Since when do pretty girls stop you in the street and ask you out? This doesn't happen in real life. Never happened to me so I refuse to believe this is possible. I'm supposed to suspend my disbelief that two cops just happened to show up that same night and walk into the bathroom where the dead body happened to be? I can do it for that but Hot Girls sitting on your lap like that? Put down the bong please.

Really nice to see Richard Alpert finally off the island and working as a cop. Dude still hasn't aged a drop.

Why have they mixed 1950's style dress and setting with modern technology i.e. iPhone. Its confusing.

Acting was good only reason to remain tuned in to the end.

Im open to new shows where I wasnt before. I thought Lost was the best show ever and wouldnt budge until BB came along. I will try the next episode and see if it grabs me. Which reminds me can someone tell me whether this show is as good as BB? That is the benchmark.

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:15 PM

QUOTE (johnny_zoo @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 17:12)
Watched the Pilot episode last night. It was OK.  I thought I check it out since Carlton Cuse is on it and I loved Lost. Maybe it will turn out to be alright.

Anyway here's my thoughts on it:

The rape scene was shocking. Didn't expect that. Then my southern regions stirred. Great now I got a new reason to hate myself.

Since when do pretty girls stop you in the street and ask you out? This doesn't happen in real life. Never happened to me so I refuse to believe this is possible. I'm supposed to suspend my disbelief that two cops just happened to show up that same night and walk into the bathroom where the dead body happened to be? I can do it for that but Hot Girls sitting on your lap like that? Put down the bong please.

Really nice to see Richard Alpert finally off the island and working as a cop. Dude still hasn't aged a drop.

Why have they mixed 1950's style dress and setting with modern technology i.e. iPhone. Its confusing.

Acting was good only reason to remain tuned in to the end.

Im open to new shows where I wasnt before. I thought Lost was the best show ever and wouldnt budge until BB came along. I will try the next episode and see if it grabs me. Which reminds me can someone tell me whether this show is as good as BB? That is the benchmark.

Episode 6 is where the show REALLY hooks you in.
Even the shows fillers are great episodes.

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:21 PM Edited by theomenofficial, 07 May 2013 - 10:25 PM.

UPDATES: Added cover photos, Adding synopsis's for every episode.
Cover Photo 1: user posted image
Cover Photo 2: user posted image
Cover Photo 3: user posted image

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Best Member in an Official Group 2012

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:47 AM

This just premiered tonight over here. I've seen ads for it all week and thought I'd tune in. Really good. Didn't realise it was related to Pyscho.

Corndog93
  • Corndog93

Boss

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:49 AM

This show looks like sh*t

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:44 PM

QUOTE (billy james @ Sunday, May 26 2013, 12:49)
This show looks like sh*t

You'd like it a lot more if you watched Psycho.
Watch something before you judge it, asshole.
It's not sh*t, it's one of my favorite shows on TV right now.

Finally, someone bumped this topic!

I thought the Season finale was great, Abernathy and Miss Watson finally died, it showed more about Romero and introduced Maggie, Norman went Psycho and killed Miss Watson, Richard punched Norman outside of the dance, Norma learned how to shoot a gun and bonded more with Dylan.
So, Season 1 ended on 20th May and the show is the highest rated on A&E and it has been picked up for a second season!
See you guys again in 2014 when they start Season 2!

Rudy
  • Rudy

Mack Pimp

• Zaibatsu
  • France

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:02 PM

It seems too obvious that Norman would be the one who killed Miss Watson. But, since the finale aired, most of my friends who watch this have jumped on the "Norman didn't do it" bandwagon, using clues like the "B" necklace and the fact that the murder wasn't shown. Now I'm kind of hoping it does turn out to be Norman who did it, and all those clues are just red herrings, just because we have (assuming they won't air Season 2 until March) ten months until the new season starts, and maybe close to a year until the mystery is solved.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users