Photo

Things helping to promote a band

7 replies to this topic
vvvictorroyy
  • vvvictorroyy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:46 PM

Can anybody advise some website which helps bands in promoting? Id like to make my band more popular. Somebody gave me a link on My Webpage Does anybody use their services? Maybe someone knows other sites, something affordable?

Cosmic Gypsy
  • Cosmic Gypsy

It's time for a trip

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:04 PM Edited by Cosmic Gypsy, 19 March 2013 - 03:09 PM.

SoundCloud
BandCamp
YouTube
FaceBook
Twitter

These are literally the only sites you need, all free sites, and to be fair they are probably the most popular when it comes to the internet music community.

EDIT : Forgot BandCamp, which is also one of the most popular. Just added it to the list.

Venom
  • Venom

Zpider-Man

• Zaibatsu
  • England

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:04 PM

I'd say YouTube and FaceBook are your main two - however, think about how saturated all those website are. The very best thing you can do is play gigs.

If you are already putting on shows and getting nowhere, branch out of your town/region/whatever. Make buddies with a promoter who sets up things locally and get a mini-tour going. Wooo.. Party.

gizmo
  • gizmo

aka JuVeNiLe

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:12 AM

The main thing to promote a band is to have good music.

Cosmic Gypsy
  • Cosmic Gypsy

It's time for a trip

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:00 PM Edited by Cosmic Gypsy, 20 March 2013 - 02:33 PM.

QUOTE (JuVeNiLe @ Wednesday, Mar 20 2013, 09:12)
The main thing to promote a band is to have good music.

No, it's really not...

People on the net have good music and next to no promotion. No one knows about them for that reason.

The main thing to promote a band is a combination of the internet, some local buzz and good music.

EDIT : Quite often bands who make awful music become popular because of their internet promotion, just one example below (not the best example though)...

Other examples are people like Die Antwood, who is seriously one of the worst rappers in history, but with some internet promotion becomes one of the most popular on the internet. I know i'm talking about Rap here but it really is the same with every genre. In case you haven't noticed, good music these days is often the last thing on bands minds. Not only that but "good music" is highly subjective.

Wolfwood
  • Wolfwood

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:21 PM

QUOTE (Venom @ Wednesday, Mar 20 2013, 00:04)
I'd say YouTube and FaceBook are your main two - however, think about how saturated all those website are. The very best thing you can do is play gigs.

If you are already putting on shows and getting nowhere, branch out of your town/region/whatever. Make buddies with a promoter who sets up things locally and get a mini-tour going. Wooo.. Party.

Shut up, Venom. What do you know? I hate you.

As of late, for anything underground, it's going to be YouTueb - live stripped down videos of performances, or a flasy music video will get a buzz. People don't want to read things, they want to see it, and they want it quick and short (unlike all those fine ladies out there). From that, videos are shared on Facebook.

Bandcamp is the more constructed like front of a band without an official website - but unless you're selling your music yourself, don't bother. You will look like a badly organised band if it's not all together and updated on the reg. Facebook is your ticket. Make friends with bands through that and Twitter, NOT people. I f*cking hate it when bands try to add me, or members message me - don't force them to come.

Also, never publically ask for contact details of promoters - find that off your own back. Don't look desperate.

I've been part of a successful promotion team, went on tour, etc. I know what I'm talking about and the underground scene is my scene - read my music column for proof! Heh.

gizmo
  • gizmo

aka JuVeNiLe

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:49 AM

Good music will speak for itself and as long as you have some link on the internet to that song, people will promote it for you which is better than anything else, word of mouth.

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

amplifier worship

• Unknown

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

Honestly, Facebook might be the best way to go. All of the other things I mention have plugins for linking to your facebook page. You can connect the page with your friends, even ones who might not know you have a band.

If you have anything solidly recorded, go with Bandcamp. It's a great resource to stream music, offer it for download, they have a merch shopping cart, and can support things like Songkick for promoting shows, and link to other sites in a simple interface.

Soundcloud is an easy way for you to stream sound files. It seems to be the preferred way for music blogs to stream music as well, from my experience. The url plugins it offers for websites and blogs are pretty intuitive.

ReverbNation is like Myspace for bands. It's there, it's helpful, but I feel like not a lot of people pay too close attention to it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users