Question about creating your own map.

12 replies to this topic
terasss
  • terasss

Snitch

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

I want to make a total conversion mod (or at least try to make it). And I want to start off with a map, which I want to create on my own. And the question is: Can I use Google Sketch up, 3DS Max and Map Editor to create the map? If not, what tools should I use? Thank you in advance.

terasss
  • terasss

Snitch

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:58 PM

By the way, the game I want to make a mod on is San Andreas.

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

PingPang

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:40 PM

First get 3dsmax then start learning how GTASA's map system works and stuff. After you've fully understood how SA's map works, then you can learn to make stuff in 3dsmax and export it. As you would have already learnt SA's map system then exporting becomes much easier.
I'm saying 3dsmax because it's the best for modeling quality, more features, more supported modding help, less bugs, the list goes on ect.

Anyway, Get 3DS Max > Learn GTA > Learn Modeling > Plan Map > Make map > Done!

I've got some spare time, so if you want info for any part of what i said then just ask here, i'm an encyclopedia of that crap. lol.gif

terasss
  • terasss

Snitch

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:48 PM

QUOTE (Frank.s @ Monday, Mar 11 2013, 17:40)
First get 3dsmax then start learning how GTASA's map system works and stuff. After you've fully understood how SA's map works, then you can learn to make stuff in 3dsmax and export it. As you would have already learnt SA's map system then exporting becomes much easier.
I'm saying 3dsmax because it's the best for modeling quality, more features, more supported modding help, less bugs, the list goes on ect.

Anyway, Get 3DS Max > Learn GTA > Learn Modeling > Plan Map > Make map > Done!

I've got some spare time, so if you want info for any part of what i said then just ask here, i'm an encyclopedia of that crap. lol.gif

Thanks a lot.

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

PingPang

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:20 PM

No probs.

Just wondering something, how are you gonna get 3dsmax?

terasss
  • terasss

Snitch

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE (Frank.s @ Monday, Mar 11 2013, 18:20)
No probs.

Just wondering something, how are you gonna get 3dsmax?

I've got it already. All I am gonna have to do is to activate it. But that's not a problem.

Also, I want to ask you about the map systems. How should I start learning them?

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

PingPang

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:38 PM Edited by Frank.s, 11 March 2013 - 08:59 PM.

I learnt it by weeks of trial and error, but i'll try to give you a brief explanation here.

How GTA SA's map works:
Each object that you see in the city is made out of a "3d model", a "collision mesh" and a "texture dictionary". (texture dictionary basically means virtual folder full of textures). As you probably already know, each dff is a model. A .col file is a collection of multiple collision meshes just like a .txd is a collection of multiple textures.

To add a object that you've made into SA, you need to use 3dsmax to export the object as a .dff and also export it as a .col mesh. (i can tell you the 3dsmax stuff after you've learnt the GTA file stuff) Then you get the object's textures and make a brand new .txd to add them in. The new .dff + .col + .txd goes into a brand new (empty) .img (you can use the gta3.img but it's more convenient to give the new city it's own unique .img) Then you need to make SA know the object exists, once SA knows that the object exists then it can be created in the actual "universe" of the game, hopefully you've got all this.

Making the object known:
Give the object a .ide line, the ide line has it's own unique id number, you can't use the same number on more than one object. The ide line also tells the game what txd the object uses and how far the object should be seen from at a distance (it's "draw distance"). The .dff is automatically matched to the .col mesh by it's filename, the randomthing.dff would use a collision mesh named randomthing inside a map_col_1.col file. The map_col_1.col would be in the .img

Spawning the object:
Map objects are spawned by lines in .ipl files, the ipl line has the objects id number and model name (so that it can find the matching ide line inside the ide file) but it doesn't have the txd name or draw distance because those things are already set by the ide line, you following this so far?
The ipl line has the X Y Z coordinates for the location and the A B C D coordinates for the rotation.

Everything can exported using 3dsMax, make the object, put it at the wanted in-game location in 3dsmax, export it's dff, export it's collision mesh, export it's ide line, export it's ipl line. Using a program like G-TXD or TxdWorkshop make a .txd for the object (multiple dffs can use the same txd). After that all you need to do is put the dff + col + txd in a new mapname.img and rename the exported ide + ipl file to mapname.ide + mapname.ipl. The ide file name doesn't need to be the same as the ipl or img file name to be paired to together, it's just to make it easier for the modder to remember.

terasss
  • terasss

Snitch

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:55 PM

thanks, that really helps, especially, when I am new to modding games.

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

PingPang

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:59 PM

Cheers. icon14.gif
Btw, you should re-read it, i've edited and corrected some parts.

terasss
  • terasss

Snitch

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:00 PM

by the way, what do you use to make .ide and .ipl lines? sorry for asking you a lot of questions, but I am new to modding.

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

PingPang

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:03 PM Edited by Frank.s, 11 March 2013 - 09:13 PM.

Later on, after you've learnt how to make SA maps, you'll want to add nice lighting using "NVC" aka "night vertex colouring", this stops the object looking flat: you'll need a different .dff exporter to export .dffs with NVC however that can wait until you've learnt how to make SA maps using KAMS.

*KAMS moved to lower post*

terasss
  • terasss

Snitch

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:04 PM

thanks for everything.

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

PingPang

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:06 PM

No problem, Use Kam's Max Scripts to export the .dff + .col mesh + ide lines + ipl lines. ide + ipl files are just text files really, open them with notepad to edit and add new ide/ipl lines to them.

Use 3dsmax version not GMAX version.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users