Quantcast

» «
Photo

Vegetation

21 replies to this topic
Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

could you PLEASE stop using that f*cking blue font?!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:09 PM

As we all know, RDR had nice looking plants, trees, etc. Everything was consistent, and it could be this way as you were generally moving slowly and were always landlocked.

But I wonder how it will be in GTAV. In RDR, from far away the trees, shrubs and grass were all sprites, it wasn't much noticeable as you always moved slowly. You were landlocked, too.

For those unaware, a sprite is where the object is always facing you. It's essentially 2D. No matter which angle you face it at, it's the same, it spins around.

One game with this particular problem was Just Cause 2. If you had a plane and flew over a forest, the trees are sprites and they will always face you, they spin around quickly.

Here's an example of what it looks like.

I wonder what R* will do. If they used sprites, it would be poor quality and a huge immersion breaker.

If they used low-res textures, it would look quite bad, but it wouldn't break the immersion like the spinning sprites.

What do you guys think?

III H1TMaN III
  • III H1TMaN III

The Silent Assassin

• Members

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:18 PM

They should crab real life stuff... and put it in the game!

HUGOHL
  • HUGOHL

In my heaven, there are no gods.

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:24 PM

They could use low quality textures for when you are far away and switch to high quality ones when close.

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

QUOTE (HUGOHL @ Tuesday, Mar 5 2013, 20:24)
They could use low quality textures for when you are far away and switch to high quality ones when close.

Even then, it could potentially ruin the atmosphere. If you look at a far away tree and it looks horrible, it can sometime ruin the entire thing.

Not to mention a physical 3d tree, even with low-res textures, causes more strain on the system than a 2d sprite.

Jordan_Philip
  • Jordan_Philip

"Dimitri, I took care of that thing for you."

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:32 PM

Most games do this. It helps with draw distance. No need to fully render little details when theyre a mile away

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE (Jordan_Philip @ Tuesday, Mar 5 2013, 20:32)
They could use low quality textures for when you are far away and switch to high quality  ones when close.

Most games do this. It helps with draw distance. No need to fully render little details when theyre a mile away

I already mentioned low-res textures in the OP, and explained the problem with them in a reply.

Could you lot please read the thread fully and a couple of replies before posting?

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:38 PM Edited by Kirsty, 05 March 2013 - 09:19 PM.

Whatever they are doing I think it is working

http://m.rockstargam...ot/261/1280.jpg

Sef
  • Sef

Proud to be Dutch

• Members

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:39 PM Edited by Kirsty, 05 March 2013 - 09:19 PM.

QUOTE (deffpony @ Tuesday, Mar 5 2013, 20:38)

The grass looks very weird you know ..

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:41 PM

[IMG]http://m.rockstargam...ot/261/1280.jpg[IMG]

Yes, from what we've seen the up close vegetation looks nice like RDR's, but the point I was getting at was from further away. Read the OP and the replies I posted for explanation.

CallTheCoroner
  • CallTheCoroner

Have you ever been dying of thirst, and smelled rain?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:44 PM

I highly doubt Rockstar would release the game with graphics like that.

But as for far away gfx, I do wonder how Rockstar does it.

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:49 PM

I guess my reply was just a simple "dont worry about it" kind of suggestion.

I dont think Rockstar will have any problems, they dont cut corners. All the glory that JC is given for its map size, well its things like spinning trees that shows how much detail is really involved with that game. I dont see it happening with V. It wasnt like that with SA so it wont be that way with V

TakinThyBacon
  • TakinThyBacon

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:51 PM Edited by Kirsty, 05 March 2013 - 09:20 PM.

It appears to me there is some deliberate distortion of the background to put the emphasis on the focal point, which is supposed to be the car. (just a guess)

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:51 PM Edited by Kirsty, 05 March 2013 - 09:20 PM.

QUOTE (deffpony @ Tuesday, Mar 5 2013, 20:49)
I guess my reply was just a simple "dont worry about it" kind of suggestion.

I dont think Rockstar will have any problems, they dont cut corners. All the glory that JC is given for its map size, well its things like spinning trees that shows how much detail is really involved with that game. I dont see it happening with V. It wasnt like that with SA so it wont be that way with V

That's the thing. From further away, trees didn't render in SA. The only model they had was the close-up one.

EDIT: thanks for ruining my OP with that huge oversized pic, guys -_-

Fixed

BlackNoise
  • BlackNoise

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:54 PM

What do you want people to say? Either way it won't look perfect because they use these tricks for a reason. It's not a problem, but rather a decision developers make so they can create these huge open worlds with lush vegetation. We'll see less of this next generation and even less the generation after that.

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:55 PM

@OP: I see your point, but I just dont think there is anyway to determine how it will end up being at this point.

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE (BlackNoise @ Tuesday, Mar 5 2013, 20:54)
What do you want people to say? Either way it won't look perfect because they use these tricks for a reason. It's not a problem, but rather a decision developers make so they can create these huge open worlds with lush vegetation. We'll see less of this next generation and even less the generation after that.

People's opinions on the subject of vegetation, ideas for effects R* could use, proper discusssion etc rather than a one-liner that points out something obvious that I mentioned in the OP.

MikeMyth
  • MikeMyth

Livin' It Up At The Hotel California

• Members

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:05 PM

I think JC2 sucked, that's what I think.

BlackNoise
  • BlackNoise

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:23 PM Edited by BlackNoise, 05 March 2013 - 09:26 PM.

QUOTE (LazyboyEight @ Tuesday, Mar 5 2013, 20:57)
QUOTE (BlackNoise @ Tuesday, Mar 5 2013, 20:54)

People's opinions on the subject of vegetation, ideas for effects R* could use, proper discusssion etc rather than a one-liner that points out something obvious that I mentioned in the OP.

This doesn't create any proper discussion. Look how you responded to the fist real reply.

QUOTE (LazyboyEight @ Tuesday, Mar 5 2013, 20:27)

Even then, it could potentially ruin the atmosphere. If you look at a far away tree and it looks horrible, it can sometime ruin the entire thing.

Not to mention a physical 3d tree, even with low-res textures, causes more strain on the system than a 2d sprite.

If they do this it's a problem...If they do that it's a problem. It's the only two options, so please discuss! So again, what do you want people to say. We give our opinions of why it's like this or how we feel about this, but then you say...

"Could you lot please read the thread fully and a couple of replies before posting?"

"Read the OP and the replies I posted for explanation."

People read the OP, but it just doesn't create proper discussions, because it "points out something obvious". It's pointless. yawn.gif

SocalZHP
  • SocalZHP

Yeah buddy

• Members

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:19 AM

QUOTE (Sef @ Tuesday, Mar 5 2013, 13:39)

The grass looks very weird you know ..

That's probably just the focus being on the car, making the background out of focus. The "vegetation" in that screenshot looks pretty dam good actually. icon14.gif

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:56 AM

user posted image

Perfect example of their vegetation at the mid-range distance you are talking, it looks horrible, those bushes look like they are from the PS1, they are definitely not using sprites, they are good in theory, but god damn, trees spinning? That's just retarded.

Looking at the new screenshots from the PS4 vegetation is going to get much better, consoles will be able to process more textures (Like leaves and such.) For now we are just gonna have sh*tty trees and such I guess.

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:15 AM

@finn: I was a huge critic of the trees and bushes in this screen when it released, but I honestly think that they have fixed that issue, just look at trailer 2.

SocalZHP
  • SocalZHP

Yeah buddy

• Members

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:49 AM

QUOTE (finn4life @ Wednesday, Mar 6 2013, 03:56)
user posted image

Perfect example of their vegetation at the mid-range distance you are talking, it looks horrible, those bushes look like they are from the PS1, they are definitely not using sprites, they are good in theory, but god damn, trees spinning? That's just retarded.

Looking at the new screenshots from the PS4 vegetation is going to get much better, consoles will be able to process more textures (Like leaves and such.) For now we are just gonna have sh*tty trees and such I guess.

Yeah, they look bad in that screen, but they changed a lot of things to Michael's house in trailer 2, including the bushes and fireplace location.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users