Photo

No replies, few replies, many low quality replies

51 replies to this topic
GTASAddict
  • GTASAddict

0_0

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:09 AM

When you post a new topic, which outcome do you prefer and which do you hate the most?

Chunkyman
  • Chunkyman

Foot Soldier

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:11 AM

QUOTE (GTASAddict @ Tuesday, Mar 5 2013, 02:09)
When you post a new topic, which outcome do you prefer and which do you hate the most?

Getting no replies is annoying. This applies to both topics you create as well as really long posts.

GTAb0yWonder
  • GTAb0yWonder

I'm not GTAb0yWonder anymore, you dipsh*t cretins.

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:14 AM

How about someone views the topic, and leaves it behind... Just like that..

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:15 AM

Can I direct my reply to lil weasel, and Slamman if he is lurking?

Tell me this doesn't read like a Match Game question!
user posted image

Honestly though, this is an odd topic. I'm pretty sure people don't wan't 'No replies'. 'Few replies' just means it will disappear soon and no one cares. 'Many low quality relies' usually isn't a good sign.

Flynny
  • Flynny

Where is Jessica Hyde?

• Members
  • England

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:17 AM

I would prefer no replies to loads of really sh*t replies to be honest.
If those few replies pass muster then that's ok in my book

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:01 AM

"many low quality replies" is the worst.
Somebody makes a decent helpful topic and then it's filled with "Great Job" replies that don't help or add useful information. I dislike 'pat on the back' replies that should have been sent by PM. Like the RIP posts they are just a cheap way to boost the count of posts for the person.

AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:19 AM

No replies is honestly the worst, you feel as if you're not valued in the community. If its just lots of really low quality posts then you can ignore it or report it. Few posts topics are good if its high quality.

The Scottish Guy
  • The Scottish Guy

Toasty!

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:28 AM

Sarcastic replies are probably the worst.

Great thread btw. icon14.gif

Linc.
  • Linc.

Betty, don't start up with your white zone sh*t again.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:36 AM

QUOTE (AceRay @ Tuesday, Mar 5 2013, 13:19)
No replies is honestly the worst, you feel as if you're not valued in the community. If its just lots of really low quality posts then you can ignore it or report it. Few posts topics are good if its high quality.

Agree, it sucks if either no one replies or all the replies are sh*tty on if no one replies until the next day and you have stopped checking and don't notice.

Master of San Andreas
  • Master of San Andreas

Leaving with a big bang, you guys rock.

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:37 AM

I prefer many replies,but I only prefer many good replies not just random spam.

Joe Chip
  • Joe Chip

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:40 AM Edited by zoo3891, 05 March 2013 - 03:44 AM.

QUOTE (The Scottish Guy @ Monday, Mar 4 2013, 22:28)
Sarcastic replies are probably the worst.

Great thread btw. icon14.gif

Real funny. biggrin.gif

Er, I don't make many threads (One in general chat that I can remember, maybe four elsewhere), but I like getting good quality posts, not too many because the thread eventually devolves into what every thread eventually devolves into here. The worst outcome, I imagine, would be getting your topic locked by the mods almost immediately - few or no people would have replied to a topic that you thought was a great idea and it'd be frustrating because you know that the staff hates your idea of a good topic.

But this reply to one of my first threads was just brutal. biggrin.gif

Ex Hellraiser
  • Ex Hellraiser

Legendary

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:49 AM Edited by fatal1ty619, 05 March 2013 - 03:52 AM.

QUOTE (Chunkyman @ Tuesday, Mar 5 2013, 02:11)
QUOTE (GTASAddict @ Tuesday, Mar 5 2013, 02:09)

Getting no replies is annoying. This applies to both topics you create as well as really long posts.

Yeah, I hate when I make a pretty damn meaningful post, then look back later to find that my existence in the topic isn't even acknowledged.

Sadness.

EDIT: I also hate when I post in a pretty popular topic, maybe a post every 10-15 minutes. I go back a day later, and see that the discussion is suddenly stopped after my post. Just seems awkward.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:58 AM

QUOTE (fatal1ty619 @ Monday, Mar 4 2013, 23:49)
EDIT: I also hate when I post in a pretty popular topic, maybe a post every 10-15 minutes. I go back a day later, and see that the discussion is suddenly stopped after my post. Just seems awkward.

That's the worst.

It's like "The retard is here...everyone run".

Forty
  • Forty

he shouts stroke darker the strings

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:38 AM

I dislike most when there are many low quality replies.

However, this is often directly attributed to the quality level of the topic's original post. The forum as a whole is better served when people exercise a wee bit of discretion before creating a new thread. All these threads that involve posting, counting or rating games are generally very poor quality, as well as threads that ask a question where the original poster offers no commentary or elaboration of their own.

Basically, not everything deserves its own thread.

Durden
  • Durden

The annoying voice in your head

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:43 AM

QUOTE (trip @ Monday, Mar 4 2013, 22:58)

That's the worst.

Literally laughed out loud. lol.gif For some reason that happens to me pretty frequently... dontgetit.gif

Oh christ I bet I just killed the thread.

Skyline_Mad
  • Skyline_Mad

supercalifragilistic when we drop we go ballistic

• Members

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:02 AM

QUOTE (gionascm2 @ Tuesday, Mar 5 2013, 04:43)

That's the worst.

Literally laughed out loud. lol.gif For some reason that happens to me pretty frequently... dontgetit.gif

Don't worry you haven't killed it; that's my job smile.gif As I also seem to be one of those who posts in a popular topic and it suddenly has a heart attack lol

I am actually expecting it to happen sad.gif

Durden
  • Durden

The annoying voice in your head

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:32 AM

QUOTE (Skyline_Mad @ Tuesday, Mar 5 2013, 00:02)

That's the worst.

Don't worry you haven't killed it; that's my job smile.gif As I also seem to be one of those who posts in a popular topic and it suddenly has a heart attack lol

Ah dont worry I'll take this one... you can bail me out next time! tounge2.gif

Linc.
  • Linc.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:35 AM

lzw3 stops the circlejerk

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• The Yardies

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:21 AM

God I wish I'd started The Funny Picture Topic. I'd be wallowing in my own smugness.

M.A.K
  • M.A.K

Religion! ... Cause of Peace & War.

• Members

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:43 AM

QUOTE (gionascm2 @ Tuesday, Mar 5 2013, 10:32)
QUOTE (Skyline_Mad @ Tuesday, Mar 5 2013, 00:02)

That's the worst.

Ah dont worry I'll take this one... you can bail me out next time! tounge2.gif

Always happens to me -_-

Xcommunicated
  • Xcommunicated

Bunch of slack-jawed faggots around here.

• United-States

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:03 AM

This reminds me of a contest I and some fellow members of The Precinct had about 10 years ago here in gen chat.

The goal was for each person to create a topic and try to get the least amount of replies. The rules were that it couldn't be a spam topic or anything that would get locked. It just had to be something genuinely uninteresting that people would ignore. Good times.

But to answer the question, the nice thing about being a mod is that should I awkwardly kill a thread, I always have the authority to abuse my power and go back and lock it. I never actually do that, but just knowing that I could gives me a boner.

MIKON8ERISBACK
  • MIKON8ERISBACK

My real name is Michael. #FACT.

• Members

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:26 AM

Having no or very few replies irritates me too. Especially if I posted the topic because I need help with something. The problem stems mainly from posting it in a sub forum which has comparatively little traffic, obviously, posting it in an off-topic subforum would constitute making an off-topic post, so yeah. Literally the only place on GTAForums where I have been able to get virtually instantaneous replies is in the GTA V subforum, and I'm talking about replies to my topics, not quotes (replies to posts).

buzbegone
  • buzbegone

• Members

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:19 AM

I remember a topic a while back Slamman created and one of the 'high-ups' deftly stated:

f*ck this, the topic is now about Llamas.

They also went ahead to include pics and valuable Llama info which caused my sides to transcend time and space. Don't remember who, I can't remember the original topic neither can I find it as Slamman's account has been deleted.

Anyone remember?

Linc.
  • Linc.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:07 AM

QUOTE (buzbegone @ Tuesday, Mar 5 2013, 18:19)
Slamman's account has been deleted.

Yeah, about that...

http://www.gtaforums...?showuser=36294

turn.gif

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:55 AM

Well I stopped making topics some time ago, last year I made 15 topics (If I counted right) but like 3-4 of those were GFX requests, and 3-4 were tech and PC chat question topics, another 2-3 were support and site suggestions.

So I probably posted like 4-5 topics last year, I think they were all pretty rubbish, I had a few more popular topics in my earlier days but I am refraining from topic making nowadays because nothing is original, someone else can make the damn topic.

Anyway on to the question I feel that it needs to be a balance, I like quality replies, But I don't want just want detailed reply to the topic, ideally for a good topic in my opinion I would get maybe 100 replies or so and perhaps half of them are actually detailed posts, be it a debate within the topic, or a detailed post related to the OP.

The other day I made a topic about a Cartoon youtube series which is actually quite hilarious (It was originally a network pitch) and I was kinda hoping someone might take a minute to watch it. But nobody did, no replies or anything which was a shame, whenever I see people post videos and such in say "The video topic" I will watch everybody's videos before posting my own in the hopes others show the same gratitude.

So yeah it's disappointing, I can't really blame anyone though, if you don't want to watch it you don't have to, but I would feel bad if I ignored others content when they are trying to share it and bring joy to others.

Here's my topic in case anyone wants to check it out.

http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=546520

QUOTE (lzw3)
lzw3 stops the circlejerk

Lol, you're one to talk, never seen two people jerk each other harder on an online forum (I am referring to you and nateshaw.)

Mr Scratch
  • Mr Scratch

Hungry like the wolf

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:14 AM

No one really cares about urban exploration confused.gif

H.I.M.
  • H.I.M.

☻The Steaked MC. ☺

• Members

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:44 AM

I love it when one of my topics gets real and useful replies unlike spammy replies.

I rarely make a topic, BTW. biggrin.gif

gtafanny
  • gtafanny

Wet n Ready

• Members

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

quality over quantity any time.

that said, the whole forum seems pretty dead nowadays

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

could you PLEASE stop using that f*cking blue font?!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

I find it quite disconcerting when I spend a few hours on a topic and get a couple minutes worth of replies. I also dislike it when I post in a topic and either the discussion dies or I get no replies. Sometimes when it's a really really long post and it's got my name to it people instantly brush the post off as "oh look the little bitch is rambling again" even in the rare event that it's not. I suppose that the length of a post draws many users away as more than three lines of text is rather overwhelming. Anyways back to my first point of spending a long time on a topic and not getting any replies, I got about a page worth of replies, that was pretty much it. No discussion, no pin, no nothing. It was pretty annoying when you compare it to the similar threads that get millions of pages worth of replies and jokes and fun times and I'm outside in the rain looking through the window in some cheap coat. See I've probably gone more than three lines now and that's really way too much effort for the common GTAF mind. I could probably rant for fifty lines or describe how some certain members piss me off, it won't be read anyway. Infact the sad thing about this thread is there isn't any discussion at all, just people wanting to post their rambling (me included) and sitting back, hoping that anybody is actually interested, and after two hours of sitting on the chair in the foetal position, eyes watering, rocking backwards and repeatedly pressing F5 (I think F5 is the refresh button, I don't remember. I could try it now but I'd lose this writing and then have to write it again or in the usual fashion for me not write it at all. ) and then just giving up altogether.

Celestial Hyena
  • Celestial Hyena

Requested ban

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:45 PM

To tell the truth as long as the point is clear it doesn't really bother me but it is nice to see that other members acknowledge by posting in the topic

A lot of topics mainly what we see in the V section are quite pointless and it does seem a lot of members make them just to get attention but not all

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users