Daft Punk

115 replies to this topic
Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:36 PM

Not particularly related to RAM but this mix is hella awesome and it was performed live in '95.

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

Ron Swanson, A Swan Song.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:30 PM

For those interested, here's a bonus song from the Japanese B-Side: "Horizons".
(Click play at the bottom of the article).

I've given it a listen and I love it. It's incredibly laid back, ambient, like something you might expect from M83 or even Low. It's a lengthy number so make sure you're comfortable.

The Pizza Delivery Guy
  • The Pizza Delivery Guy

If You Know What I Mean

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:27 AM

I tried to stay as far from this album as possible, because of how much I hated electronic, save for a couple trance songs by 009 and a little Giorgio here and there.

But when I heard Get Lucky, I was so happy. It sounded like something right out of Vice City, and I loved it. I'm sorry for all the Daft Punk fans that were let down by this album, but I loved Get Lucky.

JuventusFC
  • JuventusFC

Vincere non importante, ma l'unica cosa che conta

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE (The Pizza Delivery Guy @ Wednesday, May 22 2013, 15:27)
I tried to stay as far from this album as possible, because of how much I hated electronic, save for a couple trance songs by 009 and a little Giorgio here and there.

But when I heard Get Lucky, I was so happy. It sounded like something right out of Vice City, and I loved it. I'm sorry for all the Daft Punk fans that were let down by this album, but I loved Get Lucky.

Get Lucky is one of the few bright spots on the album.

Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:50 PM

Vinyl arrived today, very pleased:
http://i1267.photobu...zps3f59fbb8.jpg
http://i1267.photobu...zps86082105.jpg (playing "Get Lucky")

The album is something completely new on vinyl... the sound is so cool.

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:07 PM

QUOTE (Indi @ Wednesday, May 22 2013, 23:50)
Vinyl arrived today, very pleased:
http://i1267.photobu...zps3f59fbb8.jpg
http://i1267.photobu...zps86082105.jpg (playing "Get Lucky")

The album is something completely new on vinyl... the sound is so cool.

I was considering getting the vinyl, but I wasn't sure if the 20 price tag was worth it. Now that I've had a fair amount of listens it seems I'll probably go ahead and treat myself.

Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:25 PM

Definitely worth it in my opinion. It's like a modern blast to the past, you get an MP3 download code too!

Algonquin Bridge
  • Algonquin Bridge

Large, metallic bridge structure carrying cars across water.

• Members

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:35 PM

Yeah, have to admit that the Vinyl was a good buy. I mean, I feel that 20 quid is a pretty good price for a double vinyl, with accompanying MP3 download code.

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:45 PM

I had no idea you got the MP3 code with it (stupid of me really seeing as though it's quite common nowadays). I'll have to wait until my next load of wages comes through, but I'll definitely get myself a copy.

XxPhillies26xX
  • XxPhillies26xX

"The future is in your hands"

• Members

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:05 AM Edited by XxPhillies26xX, 23 May 2013 - 04:09 AM.

I've listened to the whole album and I must say Random access memories is truly something memorable, unique and different from their past albums they have released. As a rap and hip hop fan I don't mind listening to different genres of music. Todays rap has become quite repetitive. Its really refreshing to hear something different.

I've always been interested in Daft punk for a couple of years. If I can recall when I first heard Daft punk when I was probably a kid when I used to go to amusement parks like Dorney park or six flags for an example and you would hear One more time which is truly a classic or touch it which was heard in commercials and which was sampled in Busta rhymes song. One song that really caught my ear threw out those years had to be Robot rock. It was something so catchy and real unique. That really caught my attention after that.

Daft punk has truly came a long way in the music industry and I'm so proud of the music they've put out over the years. Some fans will say their favorite Daft Punk album is Discovery. But this album is something special, something I'm proud to be able listen to everyday as a music fan and as a 18 year old senior in high school. When I listen to this album It puts you in a world where you can visualise yourself in a peaceful and happy part of your life surrounded by a beautiful atmosphere and a beach like scenery where the sun is setting and the sky is beautiful and around nothing but positive, fun and energetic people who just wanna find happiness in their life.

This whole album will be something I will always remember growing up. This album has really touch me as a music fan and really inspired me a whole lot. I wanna thank Daft Punk for putting out such a fantastic album and all of the great memories their songs gave me threw out the years.

Thank you Daft Punk. smile.gif icon14.gif

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

5KΣΓ

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:12 AM

QUOTE (JuventusFC @ Monday, May 20 2013, 19:30)
QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Tuesday, May 21 2013, 02:19)
you're allowed to feel that way.

and I'm allowed to say that I think you're wrong tounge2.gif

Doesn't change the fact that I am right.

No, you're not. Your opinion is still subjective. The only point you made that comes close to being objective (in my opinion) is the one about the flow of the album, but you have already justified\explained why it was that way. The other things don't make any sense for me. The drum sounds on "Doing It Right" are generic, but not all the things that are generic are bad. Also, Daft Punk songs have always had simple, somewhat cheesy lyrics. This is not a new thing.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:45 PM

alright, so I've given the album a couple weeks now to play out in different situations.
with friends. alone. high. sober. having sex. not having sex. in the car. through Dolby surround in the living room. in my headphones in bed. etc, etc.

I can safely say that it's growing strong on me; not that I didn't enjoy it already.
but the initial laid-back tones are giving way to some deeper vibes buried within the longer tracks (the 8 and 9 minute ones).

RAM is a subtle yet great album that takes you through a variety of these warm, fuzzy, soundscapes that feel almost as familiar as alien, like they could just as easily be from the future as the past. the overall theme seems to be about finding the emotion in music where so much of the worlds new music is almost void of any emotion or soul. and in that sense, RAM hits the nail on the head. especially when you close your eyes and crank up the volume.

definitely going to have to order the Vinyl now.

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

Let's Bounce

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:38 AM

While I'm glad DP are back, I'm not too fond of Random Access Memories. I grew up used to their more electronic side and not to their funky side, so this disappointed me a bit. There are one or two tracks that aren't too bad, and Get Lucky is "edible" but not really keen on this one.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:17 PM

They should put this on the album instead of Touch or Doin' it Right. Shame that track was just a bonus for japanese version. It sounds oriental, but it's very good and I believe it would be nicer addition than one of the two aformentioned songs.

Also got couple of pics taken on Centrum Subway Station in Warsaw. Quite funny way to advertise music album. Bangalter and De Homem-Christo are blending in a cool way with people waiting for a train.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

l911
  • l911

ⒶⓌⒺⓈⓄⓂⒺ

• Members

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:11 PM

DarrinPA
  • DarrinPA

Orange Grove Member

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:25 AM

QUOTE (Tycek @ Wednesday, Jun 19 2013, 12:17)
youtube

They should put this on the album instead of Touch or Doin' it Right. Shame that track was just a bonus for japanese version.

It's a shame when a band leaves a good song off an album just for the bonus tracks on the exported albums. I understand that they have to legally have different tracklisting but don't deny your fans a good song, which it is very good.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:41 AM

it's not really being "denied" to anyone.
the international version bonus track can be paid for and downloaded at Amazon and numerous other digital distribution services.

the only difference is that it doesn't appear naturally on the US/UK version of the album that's sold in stores.

The Pizza Delivery Guy
  • The Pizza Delivery Guy

If You Know What I Mean

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:16 AM

I've finally gotten around to listening to the entire album.

I'm sorry but... people were disappointed? Really? Disappointed? That was the greatest album I have heard this entire millennium.

Seriously, I haven't been drawn into something so intensely since Kid Rock Rock and Roll Jesus back in 06. I love this. It's stellar. I'd even go as far as to put this into my top 10 albums should I ever make a list.

I'm a hard rocker. I have Judas Priest, Skid Row, Iron Maiden... and I love Daft Punk Random Access Memories.

Think it has something to do with my unhealthy attraction to Phil Collins?

DarrinPA
  • DarrinPA

Orange Grove Member

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:27 AM Edited by DarrinPA, 27 June 2013 - 04:30 AM.

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Wednesday, Jun 26 2013, 20:41)
it's not really being "denied" to anyone.
the international version bonus track can be paid for and downloaded at Amazon and numerous other digital distribution services.

Now a days, yes. But back before youtube and online music stores it was difficult to get your hands on an exported CD. They charge $80 just for one new song. It was crazy.

I've finally gotten around to listening to the entire album.
I'm sorry but... people were disappointed? Really? Disappointed? That was the greatest album I have heard this entire millennium.

I've read a lot of reviews that people were dissapointed with it. I just don't get it either. But then again quality music seems to be looked down upon recently.

l911
  • l911

ⒶⓌⒺⓈⓄⓂⒺ

• Members

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:32 PM

i just heard the Daft Punk Remix of Get Lucky ... whatsthat.gif
And i must say how much disappointment it was.
The "Remix" is just an "extended version" of the track.
I hoped that they will just take samples from the track and do new one in classic DP style.

The Pizza Delivery Guy
  • The Pizza Delivery Guy

If You Know What I Mean

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:16 AM Edited by The Pizza Delivery Guy, 28 June 2013 - 07:17 AM.

3. Give Life Back To Music
2. Connect
1. Get Lucky

For me anyway.

And Horizon would be 4th

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:54 AM

I didn't like Connect at all, it's one of the two songs from RAM I tend to skip when on my way to school.

1. Giorgio by Moroder
2. Touch (seriously am I the only person who likes this?)
3. Get Lucky

Prometheus
  • Prometheus

• None

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:05 PM

QUOTE (Fireman @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 10:54)
I didn't like Connect at all, it's one of the two songs from RAM I tend to skip when on my way to school.

1. Giorgio by Moroder
3. Get Lucky

Touch is hands down my favourite. As for a Top 3, I'd say Doin' It Right and Giorgo by Moroder right after.

The Pizza Delivery Guy
  • The Pizza Delivery Guy

If You Know What I Mean

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:54 AM

QUOTE (Fireman @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 03:54)

1. Giorgio by Moroder
3. Get Lucky

Well it's been a month and Touch has really grown on me.

New Favorites list:

1.Instant Crush
2.Get Lucky
3.Lose Yourself To Dance
4.Touch
5.Give Life Back to Music

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:14 PM

After some time it started growing on me. I still hate some songs and I still think Daft Punk can make much better music than this, but here's my favourites list:

1. Beyond
2. Giorgio by Moroder
3. Instant Crush
4. Fragments of Time
5. Game of Love

PaletoChickenCapo
  • PaletoChickenCapo

Neunundneunzig Luftballons

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:58 PM

Instant crush is amazing. I love The Game of Love, Giorgio by Moroder, Within, Touch and Get Lucky too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users