Photo

Daft Punk

115 replies to this topic
OmegaEvolution
  • OmegaEvolution

Royalty

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:28 PM Edited by BeyondRage, 01 May 2013 - 12:43 PM.

Congratulations to Daft Punk for their 1st ever UK #1 single biggrin.gif

Heres a description of ‘Giorgio By Moroder’

Now then, ‘Giorgio By Moroder’ is properly amazing. It’s also over nine minutes long, but like Justin Timberlake’s ‘Mirrors’, it doesn’t feel that long. It’s basically Moroder narrating his musical career over slinky guitar and some vintage synths. There’s an amazing bit where he says “my name is  Hansjörg Giorgio Moroder, but people call me Giorgio” and suddenly the whole thing goes mental, with massive synth riffs bouncing off the walls. After each freak out bit it all calms down again before a new section comes in and then by the end all the elements sort of careen into each other. It’s a lot to take in.

Indi
  • Indi

Don't cross the streams.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:26 PM Edited by Indi, 08 May 2013 - 10:30 PM.

Giorgio by Moroder sounds absolutely mental, I can't wait for this album any longer (it's not released yet though)!

user posted image

A bootleg has been leaked, though if you really want to hear it:
http://www.reddit.co...eak_from_4chan/

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:15 AM

QUOTE (Indi @ Wednesday, May 8 2013, 16:26)
A bootleg has been leaked, though if you really want to hear it:
http://www.reddit.co...eak_from_4chan/

link is already dead.

I've been searching Youtube and Soundcloud for it, but most of those have already been taken down for copyright violation.
anyone got a working link to share?

someone needs to upload it and distribute from a private service (like Putlocker) so it stay up longer.

Sauron
  • Sauron

chillin' like a mega villain

• The Precinct

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:43 AM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Thursday, May 9 2013, 17:15)
I've been searching Youtube and Soundcloud for it, but most of those have already been taken down for copyright violation.
anyone got a working link to share?

someone needs to upload it and distribute from a private service (like Putlocker) so it stay up longer.

Link

If the link has been taken down for some reason just google "Giorgio by Moroder leak" and check one of the other music blogs.

Skip to about the one minute mark of the song if you want to skip the old turd talking.

Sounds great btw.

OmegaEvolution
  • OmegaEvolution

Royalty

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:45 PM

Giorgio By Moroder, song of the year 2013.

Indi
  • Indi

Don't cross the streams.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:06 AM

http://www.harderblo...unes-this-week/

Looks like it's going to be streaming on iTunes very soon.

Kippers
  • Kippers

何歳ですか

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:38 AM Edited by kippers., 13 May 2013 - 10:41 AM.

QUOTE (Fireman @ Tuesday, Apr 23 2013, 18:00)
Live version;

[youtube]zV2GA63HEGk[youtube]

I can't believe the number of people in the comment who think Pharrell is lip syncing or straight up don't understand why the song is playing behind him. The fact the 2 top comments are complaining about it just makes it frustrating.

I wonder why Daft Punk didn't come to the first live performance? It was real good. 11 minutes of that song doesn't get annoying.

Indi
  • Indi

Don't cross the streams.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:40 PM

iTunes stream is alive!

https://itunes.apple...ies/id617154241

Launch this link in iTunes and you'll see this page and click play!

Enjoy!

Dnero
  • Dnero

BLΛNKFΛCΞ

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:34 PM

cool.gif

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Trigger Warning!

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:43 PM

I only had a quick listen but some of the tracks are pretty sh*te. I mean the production doesn't sound so layered and fat. Within sounds atrociouslly cheesy and dated. The talkbox is overused on the album and the twinkle-glisten-instrument they used in Within is pretty bad. That's Boyzone/Westlife stuff there, unless they are being tongue-in-cheek.

Beyond is fantastic and some other tracks will grow on me. Giorgio By Moroder is amazing. I'll be giving that a few spins this summer. Unusual to hear a more "organic" Daft Punk track. They should tour this album live as a band and then finish with there's older more electronic stuff.

OmegaEvolution
  • OmegaEvolution

Royalty

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:45 AM

Giorgio By Moroder is an outstanding piece of music and a great homage to one of the genres greatest talents.

Tyler
  • Tyler

keep your chin up out there

• None
  • Best Poem 2014
    Best Story 2014
    Most Talented Writer 2014
    Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:02 AM

QUOTE (ThePinkFloydSound @ Monday, May 13 2013, 13:43)
I only had a quick listen but some of the tracks are pretty sh*te. I mean the production doesn't sound so layered and fat. Within sounds atrociouslly cheesy and dated. The talkbox is overused on the album and the twinkle-glisten-instrument they used in Within is pretty bad. That's Boyzone/Westlife stuff there, unless they are being tongue-in-cheek.

Beyond is fantastic and some other tracks will grow on me. Giorgio By Moroder is amazing. I'll be giving that a few spins this summer. Unusual to hear a more "organic" Daft Punk track. They should tour this album live as a band and then finish with there's older more electronic stuff.

Can't say I agree with your first half, man. I loved it, they were doing exactly what I thought they would. Pretty much just a love making album with some awesome 80s soundscapes. No reason to hate on that. I'll probably play this a lot while I'm driving at night and all that, this is premo darkness music in general. Really love Giorgio By Moroder, btw.

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

Ron Swanson, A Swan Song.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE (Tyler @ Wednesday, May 15 2013, 07:02)
Pretty much just a love making album with some awesome 80s soundscapes.

That sums it up pretty damn well.

I must admit that my first listen wasn't great. I think I expected something else and wasn't prepared. But the second, third, and every other listen afterwards has been fantastic. I am truly loving this album. The intro track "Give Life Back To Music" is just stuffed to the brim with groove. The drums sound gorgeous and impeccably clean. "Giorgio By Moroder" is just an all-round incredible song. The bit where he says "My name is Giovanni Giorgio, but everyone calls me Giorgio" annoys me a little bit, but it's easily ignored.

I have to say that my favourite song so far has to be "The Game Of Love". The vocals are smooth, the guitar just sits back and relaxes a bit whilst the drums keep things moving, throwing in some simple but punchy fills every now and again. The synth in the background is almost dreamy and just makes it all so chilled out. It reminds me a little bit of "Something About Us". Bloody beautiful song.

All in all, I'm loving it. It's different and has hopefully given the duo a chance to chill out a bit and when they come back some time in the future I'll be excited to hear the result of all this. It's an album in which simplicity is the key and it's worked wonders. It'll compliment the coming summer nicely.

Indi
  • Indi

Don't cross the streams.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:57 PM

Yeah, a lot of people expected electronic music... this was never advertised as an electronic album -- it was advertised as a groove/funk album that paid homage to the '70s/'80s of dance music.

It's a great album and deserves all of the recognition it gets. Mainstream music needs a new tune if you pardon the pun.

@ThePinkFloydSound: Listen to it a few more times, I'm on my 5th listen and it just gets better in my opinion. Lose Yourself to Dance is bloody brilliant.

Simone L
  • Simone L

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:28 PM

I bought the NME today and daft punk had a cover feature and an album review. Guy-Man was quoted in saying. " At first I thought EDM was just one guy, Some DJ named EDM." Haha! smile.gif and they gave RAM a 10/10 and they never give albums 10/10!

Algonquin Bridge
  • Algonquin Bridge

Large, metallic bridge structure carrying cars across water.

• Members

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:10 AM

I think Random Access Memories is a pretty nice album. I've found it to be an enjoyable listen, with quite a few catchy tracks. I think it's got a nice, "summery" sound to it. Such as the part in "Give Life Back to Music", at around 3:15, where you've got Rodger's catchy guitar riff playing with the sounds of (presumably) happy people milling around in the background.

"Giorgio by Moroder" is pretty sweet, too. Again, there's something about the subtle guitar work (in the earlier bits of the song) that stand out to me. I also liked the timing of the chord just as Giorgio says "to survive" in the first monologue. Very nice mood-setter.

If I had to pluck one track out of my head to choose as my favourite... honestly, it'd have to be "Fragments of Time". I just find it to be an all-round nicely packaged song. Again, quite "summery". Got its own groove, a nice vocal performance by Todd Edwards (I also enjoyed his work on "Face to Face" on Discovery), and I got some "Digital Love" vibes from the guitar/vocoder solo in the later part of the track. Certainly not a bad thing.

If I had to pick a few things I didn't like about RAM, one of them would be that "Get Lucky" didn't seem to be much of an improvement to the Radio Edit. I think there was a little too much Pharell, and not enough Robots. Also, the extra repetition of the Chorus and the delay of the synth outro didn't really add much to the song, if you ask me. Also, I might just be hearing/imagining things, but I felt that "Game of Love" and "Within" were quite similar, in terms of key. Then again, I'm no music theory scholar, so I'm probably hearing things wrong and/or making an incorrect assumption. Still, I did like those tracks, as they provided a bit of variety from the more upbeat tracks.

I loved "Lose Yourself to Dance" (again, Rodger's riffing being one of the highlights), but I feel that if its tempo was a little higher, it might be easier to dance to. No doubt someone'll make a remix doing just that.

I could probably say more about it, but I think I'll leave it there for now. A very enjoyable album. Revolutionary or the best thing to happen to music recently? That's not my place to say. People have different tastes, you see. I couldn't possibly comment.

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

Ron Swanson, A Swan Song.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:45 AM

QUOTE (Algonquin Bridge @ Thursday, May 16 2013, 10:10)
I could probably say more about it, but I think I'll leave it there for now. A very enjoyable album. Revolutionary or the best thing to happen to music recently? That's not my place to say. People have different tastes, you see. I couldn't possibly comment.

I'd have to say that, alongside Dave Grohl & Co's Sound City, this is one of the best albums of 2013 so far. But like you say, different tastes.

I heartily agree with what you say about "Get Lucky". When I first heard it I thought it would be one of the stand-out tracks, but, for me at least, it's not as strong as the others and I've actually found myself forgetting all about it. It just seems to lack the momentum of some of the other songs. "Touch" is another one that does this, but it's forgiven here seeing as that seems to be intentionally done in that it's quite a laid back song.

Also, I've listened to "Giorgio By Moroder" a few more times and it's definitely one of the best songs on the album. The way it effortlessly builds into the drum-heavy crescendo is flawless. I suppose I'm rather biased though seeing as though I play the drums, but I think anyone will agree that it's one hell of a way to end a track.

JuventusFC
  • JuventusFC

Vincere non è importante, ma è l'unica cosa che conta

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:45 PM Edited by JuventusFC, 16 May 2013 - 12:57 PM.

RAM is overrated in my opinion, and I am a big Daft fan. Spun Homework and Discovery on my record player countless times.

First, the album doesn't flow well. It feels like 13 tracks put together without much thought to the progression of the album. I think it is probably so disjointed due to the fact there are so many collaborators, which makes it seem more like a compilation than an album.

Next, there is far too much filler, so many tracks just sound overly similar and seem to be borrowing ideas from Discovery. Check 'Within',
'The Game of Love', 'Beyond' etc. They somewhat have the 70s vibe which the album is said to be chasing, but they lack the magic that the similar-ish tracks from Discovery had that them made so amazing. Tracks like Digital Love, Something About Us grab you from the first listen and compel you to want to listen more. The R.A.M. tracks completely lack this. These are just mediorce 6-7/10 tracks, in my opinion. There is nothing really that much that stands out that I couldn't find elsewhere. They also seem to float one idea the whole track, which is ok, but when the original idea isn't that good to begin with, it doesn't sound very interesting. i.e. 'Within'.

Third, the vocoder use. It worked on the first three albums, but I don't think it works on R.A.M. They seem to be throwing it in to leave their mark on the track so it sounds like Daft i.e. Lose Yourself to Dance. The vocoder is completely unnecessary in that track and ruins it for me. Not to mention the lyrics themselves in that track: 'cmon cmon cmon' and 'get your body on the floor'... I mean seriously??

Some tracks I have no idea what the f*ck they wanted to do, like 'Touch' and 'Instant Crush', I don't really like them, but they are ok at what they do so I'll leave it at that. (This is not a criticism, just an opinion/statement). Another little observation I might add is on Motherboard. It sounds remarkably like something from Phillip Glass' Koyaanisqatsi soundtrack, maybe Resource/Vessels. Have a listen on youtube and you'll see what I mean. Those clarinet?/flute? sounds around 2:10 or so sound identical.

Now to the two songs that flat out suck donkey balls. These happen to be the last two songs.

Doin' It Right is an absolutely awful track, the worst on the album in my opinion by far. I seriously cannot even begin nor want to imagine what possessed them to think having that generic 808 drum machine sound was a good idea. I mean, this is the same sound you hear on a lil wayne track or whatever. I can only hope that somehow that useless 'panda bear' convinced them to use it. And the vocals.... surely they could have come up with something just a little bit more creative than that.

Next is contact, the collaboration with DJ Falcon whom I admire and it was one of the tracks I was looking forward to the most. Turns out, it is a massive flop and the use of real drums leaves it sounding like a big mess. It's clear they wanted this to be a 'big' track like something you might hear on Alive 2007 but this track just builds to nothing and sounds like a f*ck up. I actually like the synth melody they used, it's perfect for what they wanted but the execution is downright awful.

Now the positives, the mix and mastering are very nice, it all sounds quite clean, the kicks have a nice midrange pop to them and the guitars are really well placed in the mix. Also, I don't think any lover of real music can say that they don't appreciate what Daft are trying to do here, using their name and influence to try and bring some of the soul and groove back into modern EDM and showing that it doesn't have to be made on a computer.

I'll finish up by rating the tracks.

Give Life Back To Music: 7.5/10
The Game of Love: 6/10
Giorgio By Moroder: 8.5/10
Within: 5/10
Instant Crush: 6.5/10
Lose Yourself To Dance: 7/10
Touch: 6/10
Get Lucky: 7.5/10
Beyond: 5.5/10
Motherboard: 5.5/10
Fragments of Time: 6.5/10
Doin' It Right: 0/10

l911
  • l911

ⒶⓌⒺⓈⓄⓂⒺ

• Members

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:38 PM Edited by ludi911, 18 May 2013 - 11:07 PM.

I agree with you beside your rate on Contact track i think it is amazing but i must say it is not "Daft punk"-ish its more like Chemical Brothers (if i remmember corectly they have very similar track) also it have to extreme ending and to long intro (i fixed that on my file devil.gif ) but the drums are just amazing.
edit:
Also its funny that Justice also made their last album more "instrumental" not electronic. This is realy strange how those groups are similar
Unfortunately, I have to say that Justice came out better "AVD" is solid album with clear style that all track follow. On the "RAM" all tracks are different , maby there are some what similar but the album dont have own style.

It is like students outperform their master.
I know Justice made more Rocky album and DP is a funky one. But still i think its soo similar it can be compared.

I hope DP will remix all the tracks (I heard they will) and do more "classic" Daft Punk album

JuventusFC
  • JuventusFC

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:25 AM

Audio, Video, Disco is great, loved that one. Definitely a better album than R.A.M.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Trigger Warning!

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:06 AM Edited by ThePinkFloydSound, 19 May 2013 - 11:12 AM.

I've had some more listens and it's great. icon14.gif My comments were a bit harsh. I knew it would be a more "organic" album with no samples. That's cool. If they tour this album, I'd like them to do a full live show with a band for the first half and then hit up some electronic hardware/laptops etc and get in to more banging stuff. That would be awesome!

Also, some bad news... Romanthoy (guy who does vocals on One More Time) has died.

http://musicfeeds.co...more-time-dies/

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:12 PM Edited by Tycek, 20 May 2013 - 02:17 PM.

I've listened to Random Access Memories album and I have to say that I'm a bit dissapointed. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad as music album, but it's not Daft Punk anymore. The title perfectly describes its content. It's terribly random like someone make music disk for you. Discovery was so damn near the perfection, because it was made around one idea. Every sound and every word fits the rest and the transitions between the songs created a vision that it was one big song. Human after all pushed this even further, but at the same they lost the genius. It was mostly based on one beat (songs like Robot Rock, Technologic or Television Rules the Nation are too similar). R.A.M like the name suggest it's random like Bangalter and De Homem-Christo haven't had an idea for the album and they just scraped things from the table.

First, only two songs are composed by De Homem-Christo - Game of Love and Motherboard and they are light years behind the Short Circuit, Aerodynamic or Digital Love and I am not even mentioning One More Time.
Second, two the best songs from the album - Beyond and Giorgio by Moroder don't even sound like Daft Punk. Beyond is something that could be fit onto Kavinsky's Nightcall and Giorgio by Moroder (easily the best song there) is just variation on legendary and timeless Chase. I love Giorgio (as a musician of course, I got all his albums, which I can listed all the time), but I wouldn't mind his music on his album and Daft Punk's on theirs.
Good songs are also Fragments of Time (something that could be dropped from Discovery) and Instant Crush.
Contact again sounds like it was made by Kavinsky back in the day as it's very similar to Testarossa and its variations (Autodrive and Nightdrive). Two Pharell Williams songs are rather mediocre and they would fit better his album than Daft's. Get Lucky is quite catchy, but also a bit overrated.

Summing this up, R.A.M. is good album and could be easily put above Human After All, but it's rather mediocre Daft Punk's thing. It's not like I won't be listening it. I will, but I afraid that these two songs (Beyond and Giorgio by Moroder) are a bit little for new album. Discovery is still in my head after all these years (it was made in 2001 IIRC), but will R.A.M be there in 12 years? Definitely not. Bangalter and De Homem-Christo discovered themselves with their second album, but also they set the line very high. To rediscover themselves again they need to come up with something much better than R.A.M

If you need my note in scale from one to ten I would give it 8/10 (just for Beyond and Giorgio by Moroder) for music album, but let's say 5/10 for Daft Punk's album.

Also RIP to Romanthony. It's always saddening that we lose talented people.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:54 PM

after listening to the whole album finally and reading reviews that are similar to the one above me, I have to conclude that RAM is actually a great album and most people who don't like it had poor expectations. I don't think this was ever supposed to be a classic "Daft" album. it's really more of a tribute to a certain time and place (and sound) in music history; the kind of music history that directly influenced a very young Daft Punk.

and I really enjoyed it in that sense because it was SPOT ON.
it really took me back. great feelings on almost every track.

but it seems like a lot of people had their own expectations and decided to get upset when those expectations were not met.
I think if they just took RAM at face value, they'd enjoy it more than they think they do. and you'd hear a lot less of these conclusions like "overrated" or "disappointed."

I don't think RAM is overrated at all.
I think certain peoples expectations were unrealistic.

JuventusFC
  • JuventusFC

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Tuesday, May 21 2013, 01:54)
after listening to the whole album finally and reading reviews that are similar to the one above me, I have to conclude that RAM is actually a great album and most people who don't like it had poor expectations. I don't think this was ever supposed to be a classic "Daft" album. it's really more of a tribute to a certain time and place (and sound) in music history; the kind of music history that directly influenced a very young Daft Punk.

and I really enjoyed it in that sense because it was SPOT ON.
it really took me back. great feelings on almost every track.

but it seems like a lot of people had their own expectations and decided to get upset when those expectations were not met.
I think if they just took RAM at face value, they'd enjoy it more than they think they do. and you'd hear a lot less of these conclusions like "overrated" or "disappointed."

I don't think RAM is overrated at all.
I think certain peoples expectations were unrealistic.

Or you could hear it is an overly long mediocre album with suprisingly few hooks.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:19 PM

you're allowed to feel that way.

and I'm allowed to say that I think you're wrong tounge2.gif

JuventusFC
  • JuventusFC

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:30 PM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Tuesday, May 21 2013, 02:19)
you're allowed to feel that way.

and I'm allowed to say that I think you're wrong tounge2.gif

Doesn't change the fact that I am right.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:36 PM Edited by El_Diablo, 20 May 2013 - 06:45 PM.

news flash: your opinion is not a fact Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

not trying to argue, btw. just saying.
I think the album stands really well on what it is supposed to be, and most of the criticism I've heard boils down to "this isn't the Daft Punk album that I wanted / thought it would be." and as far as criticism goes, this is pretty weak. that's all there is to it.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:06 PM

No one seems to like Touch except me sad.gif

Best song on the album in my opinion.

JuventusFC
  • JuventusFC

• BUSTED!

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:32 AM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Tuesday, May 21 2013, 04:36)
news flash: your opinion is not a fact Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

not trying to argue, btw. just saying.
I think the album stands really well on what it is supposed to be, and most of the criticism I've heard boils down to "this isn't the Daft Punk album that I wanted / thought it would be." and as far as criticism goes, this is pretty weak. that's all there is to it.

If you read my review properly and understand what I said, you would realise I'm not saying "this isn't the Daft Punk album that I wanted"

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:10 AM

lol, I was never referring to your review.

I didn't quote you.
you quoted me tounge2.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users