» «
Photo

Two Screens A Day

692 replies to this topic
GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:57 PM Edited by GTA-King, 28 February 2013 - 07:15 PM.

QUOTE (jamieleng @ Thursday, Feb 28 2013, 18:55)
QUOTE (GTA-King @ Thursday, Feb 28 2013, 18:50)
That second pic has always reminded me of Glen Park. Anyone else?

Got your hopes up for San Fierro did it?

Glen Park is actually in Los Santos. It was Ballas territory, don't you remember?

EDIT: Although there is a Glen Park in real world San Francisco. icon14.gif

CallTheCoroner
  • CallTheCoroner

Have you ever been dying of thirst, and smelled rain?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:59 PM

The city itself looks enormous, and we really haven't been shown a street level screen.

Katve
  • Katve

Lost in Liberty City

• Members

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

When I saw helicopter shot I didn't think about pilot. I looked scenery behind helicopter. I try to find familiar places from SA or highways or other cool thinks. Now when I look it again my eyes spot first building at the front of screenshot. It seems to have nice rooftop and could be one of those buildings where you can enter to the roof via staircase through building. There were lot of them in IV and I guess that there will be also some in V. And always when I see that bridge in Los Santos harbour I start smiling because I can imagine some people claiming it as a Golden Gate/Gant Bridge biggrin.gif . I am the only one who thinks that Los Santos downtown is too gray? Or is it only lightning that makes it look like gray? US Bank building should be white and in picture it seems to be very dark compared to real one.

When I looked second picture first time I first get impressed by graphics with that lake on the middle they seemed so detailed and better than IV. Now when I look it I think it is typical suburb on the LS and like a one that Franklin could live in. I would like to have safehouse in that area, because I would like to have at least one safehouse in typical suburb. Not extremely crappy or extremely expensive (GTA IV, thought Alderney safehouse where pretty close to normal aparment only little bit dirtier than normal aparments.). It is one of the safehouse types I have been missing in HD-era.

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

I was loving the diversity in the trees in the second pic. IV's trees were repeatitive and bland.

I agree with another member who said that the bright vibrance of these pics was exciting. Its a nice change IMO.

I actually the helo pic made the city look small, and it kind of had me worried. Im still kind of skeptical in terms of the city size.

SmoothGetaway
  • SmoothGetaway

I got respect for reality

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

I really like the visible smog in the first pic, they really captured the effect it has on a sunset. Conversely the second pic is clear as a bell, like I would expect on a cool SoCal morning.

Good thread idea, as I missed a lot the initial topics about these screens as they released.

GTAforthe21thcentury
  • GTAforthe21thcentury

Thug

• Members

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

Does anybody else not like how the other person sitting next to that black shirt guy is using the same sitting animation?

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE (GTAforthe21thcentury @ Thursday, Feb 28 2013, 14:23)
Does anybody else not like how the other person sitting next to that black shirt guy is using the same sitting animation?

I think they are actually different. If you look at the white shirt guy it appears he is leaning on his elbow, compared to the black shirt guy who is hand-to-knee

T-ru
  • T-ru

kamikadze

• Members

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

OK, now i look one very carefully, very carefully ... very carefully ... carefully ... hmm ... oh hmm ,no, just fancy ... maybe something in his hair ... the last time i remember that he had more hair ... damn nothing new biggrin.gif ... maybe something in the car ... 3 headlights!!! ... no, there is a two, like the last time biggrin.gif

yoshiandluigi3
  • yoshiandluigi3

modder.

• Members
  • Albania

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

I remember in the first screen the day it came out I went into my paint program and zoomed in about 400, and was searching to see if I could find anything at all that was san fierro/las venturas related. Sadly there wasn't and they aren't going to be in the game.

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE (yoshiandluigi3 @ Thursday, Feb 28 2013, 14:41)
I remember in the first screen the day it came out I went into my paint program and zoomed in about 400, and was searching to see if I could find anything at all that was san fierro/las venturas related. Sadly there wasn't and they aren't going to be in the game.

I was sitting in orientation for my first year in college. I was like "f*ck school, GTA V pics!!!"

brian.
  • brian.

Possible Descendant Of Kraff

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:29 AM

I'm game. Day one.

In this image, the first thing we notice is the subject, the helicopter. Is the chopper really the star in this image, or is the breadth of Los Santos the star?

I'll focus on the chopper first and say that the detail on it is ramped up compared to the GTA IV choppers dramatically. It has a lot of geometric detail added, most notable in in the landing feet and the camera at the bottom, but also along the tail and around the finer details of the door. On a more thoughtful look at the chopper, I wonder if you can actually view yourself through that camera in the cinematic mode now, provided a chopper is around, and this being LA, the odds of that are always high, so it would be a sweet addition to view yourself from those in that view mode, but it's probably just for show.

Los Santos looks incredible. There is a marked increase of detail for the far sights compared to those in IV. There are missing effects, one I can notice right away, the traffic in the distance. Even without them being there, this image still shows a lot of growth and addition to the details in the view from afar. The lights (no poles/too far for poles), look strange mid range, but far off look incredible. The poly count has risen on the LOD for buildings as well, but these may be landmark assets, and maybe it won't all be so sturdy (here's hoping it is).

Those palms look great compared to the distant trees in IV. The lighting is working from those near-distant lights very far, and it seems that shadows are drawn much further now as well. We are high-up enough in this helicopter that no shadows would draw at all in GTA IV, and if they did, they wouldn't reach that many blocks away. I'm thoroughly impressed by what I see, it looks the way I would hope it does - LS with the HD treatment, and some taps further than they took it with IV.

QUOTE (deffpony @ Thursday, Feb 28 2013, 17:18)
user posted image

This image is nice. The water is very green, which is cool, because it hints to me there will be different types of water, since the ocean certainly wouldn't look like this, and neither do the rapids (but that set of screens hasn't come out for this thread yet). In GTA IV, the trees and poles didn't shade nicely like they do in this image. They are far away, but you can see that they respect light and shade. If I recall correctly, both poles and trees in GTA IV were either unlit, or in some cases, flat shaded with no smoothing. It looked great, but this looks better. The shadows seem to draw less far in this image than the hopes I had when viewing the first one.

Although I am stoked about some things, some things in the image worry me. I think the boards and the pylon and concrete supports for the deck are very flat looking. Even where direct light is hitting them. I feel I will probably be let down by the work that they will do with materials, specifically the ways they use normal and specular textures in their world maps judging by only these two images. As my first time viewing them, and now portraying a first time viewer, I have my fingers crossed that both of these images are shown excitedly as work in progress, and that there will be better things to see soon.

Reflections in the water of the above-world are nicer, smarter, and seeing more now too.

user posted image

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:39 AM

Great post brian icon14.gif

The part about being able to view yourself from the helo camera is a great thought. That camera is a FLIR or Forward Looking Infrared. So it would be awesome to be chased by the cops and go into cinematic view to see the black and white infrared view from the police chopper.

Also, the color of the water might be blue, but due to the many reflection of the trees it gives the water a hint of green. Either way I agree that it is nice to see different water colors implemented.

brian.
  • brian.

Possible Descendant Of Kraff

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:42 AM

You're right, the color of that water may in fact be completely due to the reflections and be more of a blue.

baboultr
  • baboultr

Grove Street

• Members

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:43 AM

true

Kifflom112
  • Kifflom112

I like to spam

• Members

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:40 AM

Screen 1:
What I favor about this screenshot isn't actually the helicopter but the view - the buildings below, the skyline, the roads. I'm very much into architecture as well as infrastructure so this sort of intrigued me. I loved how the avenues next to the Beverly Hills City Hall building were wider than two lanes and the avenue actually had a large grassy median. It was a nice change from those bland, straight avenues in Grand Theft Auto IV. This screen got me excited to drive around Los Santos - just grab me a grand tourer and cruise the curvy boulevards and avenues, gawk at various landmarks and unique shops. When I noticed the bridge I got a little excited. It looked pretty cool.
When I first saw this image, I was shocked. Part of me was like 'this looks worse than the trailer'. The other part of me thought 'wow look at these nice ass buildings and the detail. Where's the roof junk though, lol?'

Screen 2:
Now this screen was and still remains my favorite. I love the water. In Grand Theft Auto IV there were only two parks with lakes/ponds. So more parks with water were welcome by me. I really love the reflections from the water. It's so clean and detailed. Then the next thing I noticed were all of the houses. I personally enjoy the suburbs in a Grand Theft Auto and these ones looked pretty nice. I wondered how big this suburb was.
When I first saw this I was just amazed by the vibrancy and detail. And then the skies! They were clear! That's a first. In addition, seeing the hills in the distance hyped me up. Grand Theft Auto IV was so damn flat it was ridiculous. Unless you were near the cliffs of Westdyke, seeing landforms wasn't really common.

I woke up to these and was amazed. They got reeeaaaallly boring reeeeaaaallly fast though. _- I truly felt like R* were being stingy SOB's.

thestoneman420
  • thestoneman420

herp de derp

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:58 AM

Early ass screens. I was a bit worried after the initial hype because of the 'poor' quality in certain aspects, but as time went on I knew these were really early screens in order to calm down the rabid fans. Even in its infancy, they don't look half bad. Of course this is coming from one who has now seen trailer #2 and numerous recent screens so I tend to view these screens with a touch of cynicism. At the time, these were dope.

Though now I sit here, staring at these screens...I want to experience this world already! Love that heli pic, how the city stretches out into a blur of city lights and smog. LOVE IT!

EDIT: We knew so little back in the days of the release of these pictures. It's so amusing looking back! (Though in all honesty, we know jack all now too)

grandola
  • grandola

Southern Comfort

• Members

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:30 AM

QUOTE (deffpony @ Thursday, Feb 28 2013, 17:18)

user posted image

I remember reading a post on this forum when this pic came out. Someone proposed that those are birds on the telephone wires / electric lines in the background. What's everyone's take? I think possible.

Look at the dude in the white shirt then move your eyes up from there. Look at the lines with something.... on them.

panic.gif

Mr. Darko
  • Mr. Darko

My lies are better.

• Members

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:31 AM

^
If so, it will be pretty f*cking awesome when you take a gun and shoot off a bit and see some scared birds fly off the telephone wires. I think that would actually be the first time we've seen that in a videogame without it being something scripted.

avbros
  • avbros

Let's bounce.

• Members

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:49 AM

New screenshots?
It's March 1,anyways I have inspected these 2 screenshots too well before biggrin.gif

IcePwrd
  • IcePwrd

Things n' stuff

• Members

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:52 AM

user posted image

I just can't ignore the horrendous quality of the background

thestoneman420
  • thestoneman420

herp de derp

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:13 AM

QUOTE (Mr. Darko @ Friday, Mar 1 2013, 05:31)
^
If so, it will be pretty f*cking awesome when you take a gun and shoot off a bit and see some scared birds fly off the telephone wires. I think that would actually be the first time we've seen that in a videogame without it being something scripted.

Red Dead Redemption would like a word with you.

Noclue_42
  • Noclue_42

How much for the ape?!

• Members

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:21 AM

I have a strong DEJA-VU here...Come on guys, let's not put old food from a week ago into the microwave...that's not healthy!

thestoneman420
  • thestoneman420

herp de derp

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:23 AM

QUOTE (Noclue_42 @ Friday, Mar 1 2013, 07:21)
I have a strong DEJA-VU here...Come on guys, let's not put old food from a week ago into the microwave...that's not healthy!

When there is no food anywhere in the world, we must resort to microwaved leftovers.
At this point, food is food.
/metaphor

IronZombie
  • IronZombie

Thug

• Members

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:26 AM

I think the guy in the chopper is Trevor. He's usually shown wearing a raggedy old wrinkled white shirt in most pics. Judging by the way that person is hunched over in their seat I get the sense that it's Trevor. And it would make sense too.. he's the pilot in the group.

Noclue_42
  • Noclue_42

How much for the ape?!

• Members

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:02 AM

QUOTE (thestoneman420 @ Friday, Mar 1 2013, 07:23)
QUOTE (Noclue_42 @ Friday, Mar 1 2013, 07:21)

When there is no food anywhere in the world, we must resort to microwaved leftovers.
At this point, food is food.
/metaphor

You have a point there. I guess I'll have some microwaved leftovers then.....*nomnomnom*

*chokes on microwaved leftovers* ....WAAAAAAAIT a minute.....

*spits out microwaved leftovers* LOL, there isn't NO food around, there is INDEED some fresh food to be found. And I think I know where they stash it...

GUYS DONT RESORT TO EATING microwaved leftovers.....let's go to where the food came from in the first place, and we shall find new food....yeah?

Bobbin100
  • Bobbin100

I like trains. Do you?

• Members

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:06 AM

2 screens a day, keeps the doctor away. icon14.gif

Mr. Darko
  • Mr. Darko

My lies are better.

• Members

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:56 AM

QUOTE (thestoneman420 @ Friday, Mar 1 2013, 07:13)
^

After posting that, I kind of figured that someone would mention RDR. But it's a little bit different, even if I'm being a little picky here, I don't think the birds perched on what telephone lines there were (who knows, maybe they hadn't developed that habit yet tounge.gif ). I'm aware that birds go flying from bushes and such when you fire a weapon, which is pretty cool. I've even exploited that to make use of level 3 Dead Eye to use homing fire bottles against them. So I mean this in a much more specific sense, and in regards to the modern day setting, where this kind of attention to detail on creatures other than humans is not generally seen because it's not considered necessary.

Showstopper 26
  • Showstopper 26

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:53 AM

So it's official...they've gone dark AGAIN?

Noclue_42
  • Noclue_42

How much for the ape?!

• Members

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:01 AM

QUOTE (Mr. Darko @ Friday, Mar 1 2013, 08:56)
...in a much more specific sense, and in regards to the modern day setting, where this kind of attention to detail on creatures other than humans is not generally seen because it's not considered necessary.

well, for a reason!
attention to detail on creatures < A LOT OF THINGS ....like driving mechanics, shooting mechanics, cutscenes, replay value, multiplayer etc...

Catch my drift? ;D Don't get me wrong I love details R* put in their games but if core mechanics don't sit right, a thousand details on the many little things couldn't make up for it. Like, before they have all those details on birds and sh*t, I wanna be able to enter/rob a car FAST, and not like I'm trying to simulate a fat russian in slow motion who attempts to do just that. And I wanna be able to switch sides on the behind-the-shoulder-cam. And other stuff to be ironed out that bothered me in GTA IV that I can't recall right now cause I'm tired...

jamieleng
  • jamieleng

Chafing the Chimp is totally natural behaviour!

• Members
  • England

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

QUOTE (Mr. Darko @ Friday, Mar 1 2013, 08:56)
QUOTE (thestoneman420 @ Friday, Mar 1 2013, 07:13)
^

After posting that, I kind of figured that someone would mention RDR. But it's a little bit different, even if I'm being a little picky here, I don't think the birds perched on what telephone lines there were (who knows, maybe they hadn't developed that habit yet tounge.gif ). I'm aware that birds go flying from bushes and such when you fire a weapon, which is pretty cool. I've even exploited that to make use of level 3 Dead Eye to use homing fire bottles against them. So I mean this in a much more specific sense, and in regards to the modern day setting, where this kind of attention to detail on creatures other than humans is not generally seen because it's not considered necessary.

I'm gonna shoot the old pair of sneakers dangling from the telephone wires.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users