Question about bumping

17 replies to this topic
Shah Sam
  • Shah Sam

Shah

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

If I answer on topic on a old thread, is it considered bumping? If it is, how old does it have to be?

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

If you're adding something to the topic it's fine, but don't just bump a topic to call someone stupid or something like that. If you have a question you want to ask, probably just easier to create a new topic.

Shah Sam
  • Shah Sam

Shah

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:47 PM

QUOTE (Ryan @ Tuesday, Feb 26 2013, 18:46)
If you're adding something to the topic it's fine, but don't just bump a topic to call someone stupid or something like that.

Oh, ok, thanks biggrin.gif

Linc.
  • Linc.

Damage, Inc.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

Might need to explain that one more time to Raydoonhagaydoon.

Or better still automatically send him a PM every day regarding what to do and what not to do when bumping 10 year old threads.

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTA V/Online Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:03 PM

The definition of 'bumping topics' is depended on what sub forum we are talking about since the traffic can vary a lot. Anyway, if you are going to bump a topic, then the post should be ontopic and add something to the topic so a one word reply will not suffice. You should not bump topics that are several months or hell, even years old as it can happen that members reply to the old posts and it can cause confusion so you should avoid that.

Radoonhagaydoon
  • Radoonhagaydoon

Ignorance lives everywhere.

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:24 PM

^^ Alright, you're confusing me. You basically say to bump and then not to bump, so what the hell?

@lzw3: omg, I don't do those one word bumps anymore... IF I bump at all, it's to add to the topic--but I haven't bumped in a while, so yeah...

Narcis_speed6
  • Narcis_speed6

The Saint

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Talented [Expression] 2012
    Most Helpful [Expression] 2012
    Most Helpful 2011
    Most Talented [Expression] 2011
    Most Helpful [Expression] 2011
    Best Member in a Group 2011
    Most Helpful [GTA Series] 2011
    Most Respected 2010
    Most Helpful 2010
    Most Talented [Visual Arts] 2010
    Most Helpful [Visual Arts] 2010
    Most Helpful [GTA Series] 2010

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:27 PM

Ryan made it pretty loud and clear, don't bump if you don't have anything important to add.

Andrew
  • Andrew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

I'm going to make it clear as well, since every man and their dog wants to put their oar in.

Bumping is not allowed, unless it adds useful information to a topic. Forget about bumping if all you're adding is - "I like that too..."

Simple solution is don't bump.

Radoonhagaydoon
  • Radoonhagaydoon

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=271318

This got locked because of lzw's idiotic posting, I made a important post in that topic, iight. I let people know they can just know how to swim!!

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

Well the rule will vary depending on the section you're talking about, as for example, the III and VC sections and LCS and VCS sections(and SA to a certain extent) can have useful topics on the first page, yet they are from 3 months or longer, since those sections are very inactive for the most part. However, in sections like IV and V, topics are pretty recent, so no need for huge bumps there, like in the earlier GTA sections. For example, I saw a topic in the VC section recently that was on the first page and the first topic under the Pinned topic list and replied to it since I thought it was a new topic, however, come to find out it was a topic from last year that had been bumped. So, it all depends on the section you're in and how active that section is on whether it is ok to bump a topic or create a new one(as well as if you stay on topic or not).?

Narcis_speed6
  • Narcis_speed6

The Saint

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Talented [Expression] 2012
    Most Helpful [Expression] 2012
    Most Helpful 2011
    Most Talented [Expression] 2011
    Most Helpful [Expression] 2011
    Best Member in a Group 2011
    Most Helpful [GTA Series] 2011
    Most Respected 2010
    Most Helpful 2010
    Most Talented [Visual Arts] 2010
    Most Helpful [Visual Arts] 2010
    Most Helpful [GTA Series] 2010

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

QUOTE (Radoonhagaydoon @ Tuesday, Feb 26 2013, 21:31)
I made a important post in that topic

It would have been important like 6 years ago.

Andreas
  • Andreas

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE (Radoonhagaydoon @ Tuesday, Feb 26 2013, 22:24)
^^ Alright, you're confusing me. You basically say to bump and then not to bump, so what the hell?

Don't bump topics that are several years old. The link you have posted shows an example of what you shouldn't do. If somebody wants to know the answer of a question then he/she is going to create a topic anyways. So no need to bump old topics to make new members aware of certain things. If they have a question, then they will ask.

Linc.
  • Linc.

Damage, Inc.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:38 PM

QUOTE (Radoonhagaydoon @ Wednesday, Feb 27 2013, 07:31)
http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=271318

This got locked because of lzw's idiotic posting, I made a important post in that topic, iight. I let people know they can just know how to swim!!

And this?
http://www.gtaforums...st&p=1062182506

Yeah man, you only bump if you post constructively eh?

Radoonhagaydoon
  • Radoonhagaydoon

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:58 PM

Alright, fine. That's the last time I posted something like that anyways, I won't do it again... I'll let the newbies post when they need a question asked, and then maybe I'll answer it!

@lsw: that was just to annoy you. LOL - I did it once and once only.

MIKON8ERISBACK
  • MIKON8ERISBACK

My real name is Michael. #FACT.

• Members

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:47 AM

Go with Ryan's advise. The cutoff point for me making casual everyday posts to topics is one that hasn't been replied to in one month. Contribute something as substantial and as potentially helpful to the topic as possible before posting.

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

I'm back as a changed man.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

QUOTE (Ryan @ Tuesday, Feb 26 2013, 19:46)
If you have a question you want to ask, probably just easier to create a new topic.

No.
You post it in this topic. ph34r.gif

Andreas
  • Andreas

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE (theomenofficial @ Wednesday, Feb 27 2013, 20:00)
You post it in this topic. ph34r.gif

The 'Have a Question? V2' topic is just for random questions but not for questions regarding GTA, programming, and all the other things that have their own sub forums on this forum.

Shou
  • Shou

y

• Members
  • Jamaica
  • Best Signature 2013
    Best Signature 2012

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:25 PM Edited by shoumic, 27 February 2013 - 08:40 PM.

Actually the Have A question topic thread is dedicated for general questions which you might have and which don't merit a whole topic thus saving resources and keeping the forums tidy. The question can be based on anything you want. as long as it's any subject within the forums guidelines.

So these are basically questions which don't really encourage discussion and require a direct response from other people.

On topic:

@lzw3

I can see when Radoonhagaydoon bumped those topic you responded to it which only led to making things worse.

If anyone bumps a really old topic, you don't have to respond to it like you did with the links you have provided. Just report the post and explain why the topic should be locked or removed etc. After the topic is dealt with. A Moderator could kindly tell the violator to stop, chances are when a Moderator tells someone to stop doing something chances are people will listen to it. If the screen flashes and returns you to the Forum it means the Posting has already been reported. Again, Donít Respond to it like you did man, just report.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users