Profanity Filter

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
209 replies to this topic
Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:47 AM

QUOTE (blowtorchrepair @ Thursday, Feb 28 2013, 20:38)
QUOTE (AssQ @ Friday, Mar 1 2013, 01:34)
heres an idea since your so worried about your children why dont you get off your ass and take them to the park, spend sometime with them maybe do something educational.

oh, another clever individual. I did that last weekend, AND helped replace the slide in our neighborhood park which some punk teenage kid burned to the ground last summer. (he was caught and paid for the replacement parts)

do you homework, son. you've got school in the morning.

handled well icon14.gif

TheJasonGallant
  • TheJasonGallant

Random Player

• Members

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:47 AM

I'm sorry @OP, but the thing is not to prevent kids from bad words. And kids at schools say even worst things then in a GTA game... Seriously though, if you don't teach these words to your children, once they find them out by themselft, they will use them for no reason and they won't even know what they mean, wich is even worst! People has to stop trying to "protect" their children, but to raise them to do not use that kind of language. There's no way that you can protect your children to profanity...

Kifflom112
  • Kifflom112

I like to spam

• Members

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:50 AM

QUOTE (TheJasonGallant @ Thursday, Feb 28 2013, 19:47)
I'm sorry @OP, but the thing is not to prevent kids from bad words. And kids at schools say even worst things then in a GTA game... Seriously though, if you don't teach these words to your children, once they find them out by themselft, they will use them for no reason and they won't even know what they mean, wich is even worst! People has to stop trying to "protect" their children, but to raise them to do not use that kind of language. There's no way that you can protect your children to profanity...

True. Back when I was in fourth grade, the kids were already calling people strippers and gay and saying cuss words in every sentence. Sad isn't it?

NoxiousWR
  • NoxiousWR

Snitch

• Members

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:51 AM Edited by NoxiousWR, 01 March 2013 - 01:53 AM.

It's not a children's game so there should be no worry of children playing it or watching people play it, simple as that. If you don't want to expose a child to something like it then don't play it when they're around and don't buy it for them. There's a rating for a reason, it really is that simple.

It makes me laugh at the parents who complain about Grand Theft Auto yet they're the idiots who go out and buy it for their kids or play it when their kids are around them... where's the sense in that? rolleyes.gif

wallis
  • wallis

Snitch

• Members

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:01 AM

QUOTE (blowtorchrepair @ Friday, Mar 1 2013, 01:38)
QUOTE (AssQ @ Friday, Mar 1 2013, 01:34)
heres an idea since your so worried about your children why dont you get off your ass and take them to the park, spend sometime with them maybe do something educational.

oh, another clever individual. I did that last weekend, AND helped replace the slide in our neighborhood park which some punk teenage kid burned to the ground last summer. (he was caught and paid for the replacement parts)

do you homework, son. you've got school in the morning.

Don't take it to heart. I don't think they mean to be trolls. They're just inexperienced and have little regard for the complexities of parenthood. Most are just sitting around in their rooms, with the highlight of their week being double xp weekend.

TheJasonGallant
  • TheJasonGallant

Random Player

• Members

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:02 AM

QUOTE (Kifflom112 @ Friday, Mar 1 2013, 01:50)
QUOTE (TheJasonGallant @ Thursday, Feb 28 2013, 19:47)

True. Back when I was in fourth grade, the kids were already calling people strippers and gay and saying cuss words in every sentence. Sad isn't it?

Definitly... They don't know the meaning of most of these words... If they'd know that saying things like that is bad, they wouldn't say them... When you're a kid, you don't know the wrong from right yet... It's the parent that has to teach all that.

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

I thought I would only need this meme for a few weeks...or so

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:17 AM

QUOTE (wallis @ Friday, Mar 1 2013, 02:01)
Don't take it to heart. I don't think they mean to be trolls. They're just inexperienced and have little regard for the complexities of parenthood. Most are just sitting around in their rooms, with the highlight of their week being double xp weekend.

icon14.gif icon14.gif LOL, Cracked me up biggrin.gif You said so much, so concisely!

blowtorchrepair
  • blowtorchrepair

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:17 AM

the parenting tips here are great... it's AS IF my OP said this:

all I do is play GTA IV 7 hours a day. i have a child and I play GTA IV in front of her and i bang hookers and then slit their throats in her presence and tell her "shoulda been your mother!!" then I called up Kiki for a date. picked her up and took her to Hove beach. then made my kid watch while I shot Kiki to death. I never take my child outside. she hasn't seen the sun since, well since sunrise in LC last night. I love shooting LCPD officers in the head at close range in front of my kid. BUT THE WORST PART IS WHEN THE COP SAYS "FREEZE, sh*t DICK"... R* is f*cking up my kids mind. I'm going to sue unless a child filter and bullet proof playable Barney The Dinosaur character is added to GTA V.

reading is fundamental

comprehension, impossible for way more than most realize.

Lelouch vi Britannia
  • Lelouch vi Britannia

Zero

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:25 AM

QUOTE (blowtorchrepair @ Thursday, Feb 28 2013, 21:17)
the parenting tips here are great... it's AS IF my OP said this:

all I do is play GTA IV 7 hours a day. i have a child and I play GTA IV in front of her and i bang hookers and then slit their throats in her presence and tell her "shoulda been your mother!!" then I called up Kiki for a date. picked her up and took her to Hove beach. then made my kid watch while I shot Kiki to death. I never take my child outside. she hasn't seen the sun since, well since sunrise in LC last night. I love shooting LCPD officers in the head at close range in front of my kid. BUT THE WORST PART IS WHEN THE COP SAYS "FREEZE, sh*t DICK"... R* is f*cking up my kids mind. I'm going to sue unless a child filter and bullet proof playable Barney The Dinosaur character is added to GTA V.

reading is fundamental

S i r , i f I m a y , T h e r e i s a p a r e n t a l c o n t r o l s e t t i n g s f o r G T A I V , a n d I p r e s u m e G T A V w i l l a s w e l l . I f y o u m e a n t h e r e s h o u l d b e a F i l t e r t h a t c u t s o u t a l l t h e n a u g h t y c o n t e n t l i k e t h e y d o i n t h e a t e r s w i t h m o v i e s , I ' d s u g g e s t y o u E m a i l R * a n d a s k t h e m f o r s u c h a f e a t u r e . I f a l l g o e s w e l l S i r , y o u m a y b e l u c k y . H o p e t h i s h e l p s S i r .

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

I thought I would only need this meme for a few weeks...or so

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:39 AM

QUOTE (blowtorchrepair @ Friday, Mar 1 2013, 02:17)
the parenting tips here are great...  it's AS IF my OP said this:

all I do is play GTA IV 7 hours a day.  i have a child and I play GTA IV in front of her and i bang hookers and then slit their throats in her presence and tell her "shoulda been your mother!!"  then I called up Kiki for a date.  picked her up and took her to Hove beach.  then made my kid watch while I shot Kiki to death.  I never take my child outside.  she hasn't seen the sun since, well since sunrise in LC last night.  I love shooting LCPD officers in the head at close range in front of my kid.  BUT THE WORST PART IS WHEN THE COP SAYS "FREEZE, sh*t DICK"...  R* is f*cking up my kids mind.  I'm going to sue unless a child filter and bullet proof playable Barney The Dinosaur character is added to GTA V.

reading is fundamental

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif double LOL!! I really like this kind of sharp-edged, incisive, multidimensional humor. Can't stop grinning at the way this truly cuts through to the issue of how a majority of the posters responded.

By the way, my props to TheMarkofZollo, deffpony and wallis and a couple of others for getting the point of your original concern and seeing the bigger picture.

Also, I apologize for partially hijacking your topic at the beginning and injecting a snarky tone into the dialog along with my examples. I was trying some "tough love" since I thought that there were a fair percentage of tough kids here who could handle it. But I figured out that they weren't actually tough, they are just too lazy to read anything longer than a topic title. Poor kids. I don't know how they're going to get through school.

blowtorchrepair
  • blowtorchrepair

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:58 AM

QUOTE (saintsrow @ Friday, Mar 1 2013, 02:39)
QUOTE (blowtorchrepair @ Friday, Mar 1 2013, 02:17)
the parenting tips here are great...  it's AS IF my OP said this:

all I do is play GTA IV 7 hours a day.  i have a child and I play GTA IV in front of her and i bang hookers and then slit their throats in her presence and tell her "shoulda been your mother!!"  then I called up Kiki for a date.  picked her up and took her to Hove beach.  then made my kid watch while I shot Kiki to death.  I never take my child outside.  she hasn't seen the sun since, well since sunrise in LC last night.  I love shooting LCPD officers in the head at close range in front of my kid.  BUT THE WORST PART IS WHEN THE COP SAYS "FREEZE, sh*t DICK"...  R* is f*cking up my kids mind.  I'm going to sue unless a child filter and bullet proof playable Barney The Dinosaur character is added to GTA V.

reading is fundamental

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif double LOL!! I really like this kind of sharp-edged, incisive, multidimensional humor. Can't stop grinning at the way this truly cuts through to the issue of how a majority of the posters responded.

By the way, my props to TheMarkofZollo, deffpony and wallis and a couple of others for getting the point of your original concern and seeing the bigger picture.

Also, I apologize for partially hijacking your topic at the beginning and injecting a snarky tone into the dialog along with my examples. I was trying some "tough love" since I thought that there were a fair percentage of tough kids here who could handle it. But I figured out that they weren't actually tough, they are just too lazy to read anything longer than a topic title. Poor kids. I don't know how they're going to get through school.

biggrin.gif I totally FAILED on the OP wording, but made up for it now. lol

your posts are appreciated. well said. thanks. and at the moment of the OP i was just thinking of my own instance b/c my wife even recently said to me that she'd like to let our child drive around LC but the comments, even from the main character as you drive and crash into things, and peds kills that idea. But your post reminded me of the times I wanted to show this game off at the office (i'm a licensed, professional digital mapper) but unless on MUTE, forget that. There's a simple way to have the best of both worlds, the Voice Volume control that I believe TheMarkofZollo (?) mentioned for consoles. I appreciate the comments of deffpony and wallis and XXxPhoenixXX... (or something like that)

and I'll check out the parenting controls also recently mentioned.

the rest of you wise-ass punks. go mouth off to your little brothers and sisters... you can't win against me. wink.gif

avbros
  • avbros

Let's bounce.

• Members

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:24 AM

I agree with the OP,every person is concerned that their children don't use the bad words but at some stage of childhood your kid has to understand that these are bad words and should not be used in real life instead of preventing your kids from knowing them.

I remember that I used to play the old GTA's with my father and he taught me at the same time,what was wrong and what was right,I never used to swear,I still don't.

My point is that your kid has to know the wrong from the right and maybe you can let him play GTA for a while and teach him.

aaronimpact
  • aaronimpact

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:31 AM

OP needs to learn to parent better instead of putting his children in front of a TV.

blowtorchrepair
  • blowtorchrepair

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:22 PM

yes, the more I think about this, a Voice Volume control AND weapons ON/OFF toggle the wiser it sounds to me.

there could perhaps come a console DLC for V which, among other things, might allow for a type of mode which would mute voices only, turn off weapons, halt the story, and allow a free roam of the map, KIND OF LIKE a private party, but with Cops, Subways, Trains, Taxis and all of that stuff remaining in operation. Cop chases could still occur, except that the cops won't shoot and curse at you, but would pursue, ram, crash into you and hand cuff you if caught.

this would be simple and smart. I'd bet that gamer's who are into Role Playing would even enjoy a mode such as this.

Oh, but I didn't think about this other angle. What about house pets? I mean, the sirens sometimes scare my dog, and if I run over a dog in game with my dog in the room, what might he think then? I think perhaps even a special "pet friendly" DLC filtering out horns, sirens and animal killing should be considered by R*.

Raavi
  • Raavi

Allergic to bullsh*t

• Vatican-City
  • Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:29 PM

This keeps getting more ridiculous. A weapon on/off feature, oh for the love god you've got to be kidding me! It is a mature rated game about crime/ Not an example for 3d animations nor a game to play around little childeren. If you can't deal with that.. Wel, sad day for you.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Looks like the diversion worked!

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE (TheJasonGallant @ Friday, Mar 1 2013, 02:47)

I agree.

All of you should just let your kids play Postal 2. Let their mind be as creative as it can be while murdering a bunch of virtual ragdolls. Let them do it in a game and they won't do it in real life.

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:40 PM

Lol you mean portal 2. Postal 2 sounds worse than GTA

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Looks like the diversion worked!

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE (deffpony @ Friday, Mar 1 2013, 14:40)

No I ment Postal 2. Here's a picture:

user posted image

This is what I used to do at the age of 10, now I took it to the next level with the addons.

Raavi
  • Raavi

Allergic to bullsh*t

• Vatican-City
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:46 PM

QUOTE (DarkKingBernard @ Friday, Mar 1 2013, 14:45)

user posted image

This is what I used to do at the age of 10, now I took it to the next level with the addons.

Ever played postal 3?

Spiders2410
  • Spiders2410

Master of spaghetti

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:48 PM

QUOTE (DarkKingBernard @ Friday, Mar 1 2013, 13:45)

user posted image

Sounds arousing

blowtorchrepair
  • blowtorchrepair

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:07 PM

QUOTE (Raavi @ Friday, Mar 1 2013, 13:29)
This keeps getting more ridiculous. A weapon on/off feature, oh for the love god you've got to be kidding me! It is a mature rated game about crime/ Not an example for 3d animations nor a game to play around little childeren. If you can't deal with that.. Wel, sad day for you.

Raavi, stop trying to play yourself off for as an intellectual (what are you 15?) and get on board with my Pet Friendly DLC idea. sarcasm.gif
  • Deadly Target likes this

Raavi
  • Raavi

Allergic to bullsh*t

• Vatican-City
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:20 PM

QUOTE (blowtorchrepair @ Friday, Mar 1 2013, 15:07)

Raavi, stop trying to play yourself off for as an intellectual (what are you 15?) and get on board with my Pet Friendly DLC idea. sarcasm.gif

Funny guy, I'm long past the age 15. Moving on.. That I quite obviously don't share your opinion doesn't mean you have to start to disparage me.

Back on topic. There are plenty of ways without altering anything that allow you to show your child a non-violent/non-profane part of the game, my Texan friend. Implementing a filter would be senseless and anything but lucrative.

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:27 PM

I agree with Raavis last sentence. I understand the point of the op but it really is senseless for this to even be a thought for rockstar.

TheJasonGallant
  • TheJasonGallant

Random Player

• Members

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE (blowtorchrepair @ Friday, Mar 1 2013, 14:07)

What he means is, they can't cut half of the game because some parents are playing this game in front of a child or if he is playing himselft... I mean, it gets more and more ridiculous...

avbros
  • avbros

Let's bounce.

• Members

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE (blowtorchrepair @ Friday, Mar 1 2013, 14:07)

OP,if you think practically,why will Rockstar put these filters in their game?
They are creating this game for a target audience,that is a mature audience(of course teenagers will play),
they are not creating a game for kids.And thousands of people will have a case like you,they can't fulfill everyone's case by providing filters.
As for a pet friendly DLC,the situation is same as they are not creating this game for animals..it would be too senseless.
And if Rockstar put this DLC,everyone will laugh at them at how weird their thinking is.

I respect your opinion and your problems,but to be honest they are a bit pointless.

blowtorchrepair
  • blowtorchrepair

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE (Raavi @ Friday, Mar 1 2013, 14:20)

Funny guy, I'm long past the age 15. Moving on.. That I quite obviously don't share your opinion doesn't mean you have to start to disparage me.

Back on topic. There are plenty of ways without altering anything that allow you to show your child a non-violent/non-profane part of the game, my Texan friend. Implementing a filter would be senseless and anything but lucrative.

I'm just messing with you, Raavi. I generally like your posts. Have you read my posts from last night? I framed this topic completely wrong at the start, and have made several attempts at correcting this. All I really want is a total voice volume filter for the console versions of the game. This would accomplish what I've written about child-wise, but would also allow the game to make an appearance in other social settings. I'd love to bring GTA V to work to show to our CADD techs and modeler. I'm sure other digital professionals who know GTA would do the same, and not offending every woman or other person with profanity with a voice volume control would make that possible.

A voice volume control on console versions would hurt NOTHING and would allow the game to be viewed by people who GTA gamers would have previously never let see such a game because of some of it's audio content.

But too many are hung up on, "it's rated M blah blah blah... "... this is selfish, short sighted, one dimensional thinking with little or no regard to how such a simple modification would/could affect a lot of people and could sell more games...

anyway, the point is made and out there. i'd bet that large majority of Adults who will play GTA V, most of which would not visit this forums site and most certainly would NEVER comment or create a topic, would welcome what I speak of.

and for the rest of you, we can agree to disagree, but the fact remains that a voice volume control for consoles would in no way impede regular game play or take lots of time to incorporate, unlike like car interiors and gear shift animation and other stuff the members her ooze over.

peace...

TheJasonGallant
  • TheJasonGallant

Random Player

• Members

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:16 PM

QUOTE (blowtorchrepair @ Friday, Mar 1 2013, 14:57)
QUOTE (Raavi @ Friday, Mar 1 2013, 14:20)

I'm just messing with you, Raavi. I generally like your posts. Have you read my posts from last night? I framed this topic completely wrong at the start, and have made several attempts at correcting this. All I really want is a total voice volume filter for the console versions of the game. This would accomplish what I've written about child-wise, but would also allow the game to make an appearance in other social settings. I'd love to bring GTA V to work to show to our CADD techs and modeler. I'm sure other digital professionals who know GTA would do the same, and not offending every woman or other person with profanity with a voice volume control would make that possible.

A voice volume control on console versions would hurt NOTHING and would allow the game to be viewed by people who GTA gamers would have previously never let see such a game because of some of it's audio content.

But too many are hung up on, "it's rated M blah blah blah... "... this is selfish, short sighted, one dimensional thinking with little or no regard to how such a simple modification would/could affect a lot of people and could sell more games...

anyway, the point is made and out there. i'd bet that large majority of Adults who will play GTA V, most of which would not visit this forums site and most certainly would NEVER comment or create a topic, would welcome what I speak of.

and for the rest of you, we can agree to disagree, but the fact remains that a voice volume control for consoles would in no way impede regular game play or take lots of time to incorporate, unlike like car interiors and gear shift animation and other stuff the members her ooze over.

peace...

Ask to rockstar what they think about it... They'll probably say that it's not a game for children and it is rated M.
It is not selfish nor short sighted, it is just the way it is, it will never change.

blowtorchrepair
  • blowtorchrepair

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:11 AM Edited by blowtorchrepair, 02 March 2013 - 02:42 PM.

Alright, TheJasonGallant. I just emailed R* at their mouthoff address the following email.

Notice that I'm not asking for a child version of the game or profanity filter as this thread began with (and was later corrected). Doesn't sound so crazy when framed differently, I don't think.

"R*!

An ability to lower the volume of voices on the console versions of GTA V would be appreciated.

Now that I have a toddler there will be times where I'll want to play GTA V, just exploring the map and getting a general simulation experience from the digital world of Los Santos, and doing such nerdy, non-violent play in the occasional presence of a toddler or other young person would be possible to manage if the voice volume could be lowered at will to cut out all of the comments of the playable character, LSPD, and pedestrian/NPCs.

As a professional digital mapper I'm going to want to show GTA V's map off at the office. Lowering the voice volumes would allow the world of GTA V to still exist for a demo without fear of female coworkers or any other easy-to-offend persons hearing some of the raunchy humor that we all love, but which could also create uncomfortable social situations of all sorts.

think about it. perhaps this voice volume feature could come as an upgrade in a DLC package. It would be very useful to the Adult GTA gamer population. Lots of adults will buy GTA V, so please think about giving us console players something as simple as a total voice volume control to make enjoying and even sharing some aspects of GTA V, particularly the map, a bit easier to manage in a variety of situations.

Thanks.. "

if R* responds then I'll share their response, but I won't hold my breath waiting for one.

zeldafreak134
  • zeldafreak134

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 April 2014 - 05:36 AM Edited by zeldafreak134, 27 April 2014 - 05:37 AM.

The only reason why I would ever use a filter switch is for when my parents are watching or my grandmother comes over. 

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 27 April 2014 - 06:45 AM

No need to bump such an old topic. Feel free to open a new thread on the subject.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users