209 replies to this topic
saintsrow
  • saintsrow

Dime store angel of death

• Members
  • None
  • Best Story/Poem 2015 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:03 PM

QUOTE (blakeney @ Thursday, Feb 28 2013, 21:15)
How old are your kids for you to not be bothered about the violence/gore? I know my 2yo probably at this point wouldn't properly be able to distinguish the difference between a game or a film/real footage of someone being shot/ran over etc.

Many years ago, a friend of mine sometimes visited my place, and he would bring along his kid (age maybe 3 or so). I have a collection of Hot Wheels and other bigger toy cars for kids to play with when their parents bring them over, so the kid was familiar with the toys.

SIn that same time frame, several years ago, I was on a video call with that friend, and he put the kid on his lap so he could say hi to me over video. I brought up one of the toy cars to the camera, to remind the kid that this video was coming from the place where he plays with the cars. The kid immediately reached for the screen to try to grab the car, and he was disappointed that he could not grab the car. Like you say, he could not distinguish the real world experience of playing with cars from the car on the screen.

Bottom line is that not only can little kids not tell screen images from reality, they also can be scared by things they see on screen, for that same reason. So one has to be careful, especially when the possibility exists of exposing somebody else's kid to to something onscreen that the parent does not approve of.

In the modern age of DVDs and cable TV (not to mention video games), this situation can come up suddenly when you don't anticipate it, when an adult friend drops in with their kids, or your young cousins or nephews stop by, for example. So you have to be ready to hide the GTA disk.

Killerdude
  • Killerdude

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• The Yardies
  • Canada

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:33 PM

Language filter on a game rated 18+?
Kindly f*ck off.

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:38 PM

QUOTE (Killerdude8 @ Thursday, Feb 28 2013, 22:33)
Kindly f*ck off.

Why is there a language filter on this forum? It censored your word"f*ck".

Mr.Mordecai
  • Mr.Mordecai

To be, or not to be. That is the question.

• Members

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:51 PM

QUOTE (saintsrow @ Thursday, Feb 28 2013, 14:38)
Kindly f*ck off.

Because of the advertisers. suicidal.gif

ceerup
  • ceerup

Rat

• Members

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:57 PM

i respect this post, and i know how it feels to play a game and there is alot of cursing in it, as i live in a house with my little sister is 11, and shes just in the other room, i wont put my game loud, and when i go to my girlfriends she has kids that dont need to hear it either, so what we do is they arent allowed to watch the tv and i wear headphones so no one can hear anything but me...

problem solved. its all about parenting, if you live in a small place where you want to enjoy the sounds, grab a headset. they are fairly cheap now

mdniterder
  • mdniterder

Hustler

• Members

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:13 PM Edited by mdniterder, 28 February 2013 - 11:16 PM.

QUOTE (blowtorchrepair @ Tuesday, Feb 26 2013, 00:58)
QUOTE (djsinnema @ Tuesday, Feb 26 2013, 00:46)
I could not bring my self to play GTA in front of my kids. The language would not concern me so much as all the violence. i would feel that all the   Violence is my responsibility, and that it is my personal actions. I feel that profanity might be exposed to them in alot more different ways, and what they hear during gaming is the least of my concern

I'm talking about during times of driving around the map and exploring, watching the wildlife, etc., which there will be a lot of in V. I'm not talking about playing missions where I'm bashing in skulls with the kids in the room.

to a small child in the room, who is looking at the screen only half of the time, it very much matters what is coming through the speakers. Their little brains are on RECORD all of the time.

I don't want to MUTE the game, just the option to mute the trash language some of the time.

that is when your duty as a parent comes into play to guide him/her, Tell them that the words that they hear are what some adults use to express their self and they should not repeat it. While you have the option of mute I understand your concern but this is where it comes to you as an adult to make better judgment and not tell Rockstar that you can not do the job you opted to take on. You don't buy an rated ® movie and ask for a sware filter option in the menu.

Your a parent teach right from wrong or hold off on playing if your not capable, sorry...

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

Im not one to tell others how to parent their kids, but I feel that allowing children to be exposed to violent video games and movies is actually healthy as long as it is coupled with strong parenting that sets examples for what parts of those images are good and bad

iNuke
  • iNuke

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:18 PM

Some people take violence differently. I have played GTA IV since I was 4 and other violent video games since I was 3 and I'm not some heartless murderer...

IronZombie
  • IronZombie

Thug

• Members

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:21 PM

HOW ABOUT NO, YOU CRAZY DUTCH BASTARD!

This game isn't for children, so why pander to them? Keep the gore, keep the nudity, keep the language. If parents have such a big problem with that, then they shouldn't buy it for their damn 9 year olds.

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:24 PM

QUOTE (IronZombie @ Thursday, Feb 28 2013, 18:21)

This game isn't for children, so why pander to them? Keep the gore, keep the nudity, keep the language. If parents have such a big problem with that, then they shouldn't buy it for their damn 9 year olds.

While I understand your logic in the fact that this game isnt meant for underage children the "option" would have no affect on those who dont use it really. I can understand why some parents playing this game wouldnt want their children to hear it.

I dont agree with the idea, but Im not gonna attack it

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:25 PM

QUOTE (iNuke @ Thursday, Feb 28 2013, 23:18)
I have played GTA IV since I was 4 and other violent video games since I was 3 and I'm not some heartless murderer...

Well, that's good that at least some people here on the forum are not heartless murderers smile.gif

I've been playing GTA IV since I was 18 months old smile.gif

wallis
  • wallis

Snitch

• Members

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:26 PM

QUOTE (jamieleng @ Thursday, Feb 28 2013, 21:29)
I couldn't even be bothered to read the OP. A profanity filter, gore slider, removal of nudity etc. Why on earth would any of these things need to be in an 18+ rated game & more importantly, a GTA game?

If you bothered to read the OP, then you would have the answer to your question.

Killerdude
  • Killerdude

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• The Yardies
  • Canada

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:31 PM

Moral of this thread is:
OP is a lazy parent and would rather have the game get censored than actively parent his child.

IronZombie
  • IronZombie

Thug

• Members

QUOTE (deffpony @ Thursday, Feb 28 2013, 23:24)
QUOTE (IronZombie @ Thursday, Feb 28 2013, 18:21)

While I understand your logic in the fact that this game isnt meant for underage children the "option" would have no affect on those who dont use it really. I can understand why some parents playing this game wouldnt want their children to hear it.

I dont agree with the idea, but Im not gonna attack it

Actually, I believe it does affect those of us who are old/mature enough to handle a little bit of profanity. They have to take the time and effort to work on that as a feature. I'd rather they focus their efforts on important features rather than assigning a team to make this thing kid-friendly. It's not for kids anyway, so why should they bother?

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• Zaibatsu
  • None

QUOTE (Killerdude8 @ Thursday, Feb 28 2013, 18:31)
Moral of this thread is:
OP is a lazy parent and would rather have the game get censored than actively parent his child.

I dont think that is necessary

Kifflom112
  • Kifflom112

I like to spam

• Members

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:32 PM

QUOTE (saintsrow @ Thursday, Feb 28 2013, 16:38)
Kindly f*ck off.

Simply due to the fact that mods don't want it abused. This is still a forum, you know.

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:33 PM

When you become a parent you have to make sacrifices.

wallis
  • wallis

Snitch

• Members

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:38 PM

If it's an R18+ game, then maybe this forum should be restricted to 18+year olds. It would certainly weed out alot of the ignorant and immature posts.

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:40 PM

QUOTE (wallis @ Thursday, Feb 28 2013, 18:38)
If it's an R18+ game, then maybe this forum should be restricted to 18+year olds. It would certainly weed out alot of the ignorant and immature posts.

Not true, you would be surprised by the lack of evidence behind the correlation of young ages and immature posts

IronZombie
  • IronZombie

Thug

• Members

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:40 PM

QUOTE (wallis @ Thursday, Feb 28 2013, 23:38)

Good luck trying to enforce that rule there, buddy. Anyone can set their age to 18+ on the internet. Are you gonna be checking IDs at the door? lol.gif

wallis
  • wallis

Snitch

• Members

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:44 PM

QUOTE (IronZombie @ Thursday, Feb 28 2013, 23:40)
QUOTE (wallis @ Thursday, Feb 28 2013, 23:38)

Good luck trying to enforce that rule there, buddy. Anyone can set their age to 18+ on the internet. Are you gonna be checking IDs at the door? lol.gif

Lol, no. But it would be nice.

I Luke
  • I Luke

UGHH..

• Members

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:45 PM

I'm horrified that this is what you care about and not other things that are in the game.

I'd like to mention, there are many games out there that you can roam around in just like in GTA, why not play one of those?
GTA is a 18+ game for a reason. Sure, I wouldn't care for a toggle but in their eyes, there's no need and no point.
The fact that you focus on the language and not what the game is about blows my mind. You can't get arrested for swearing but you can for killing people, crashing cars and everything else that the game contains.

Honestly, I'm not going to complain and argue about the fact that you should not let younger people play because they should and everyone does it. The matter of the fact is though, people swear later in life and it's nothing new. If you want your child to not swear and behave like in GTA, tell them. If they don't listen, you clearly know what to do.

wallis
  • wallis

Snitch

• Members

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:52 PM

QUOTE (deffpony @ Thursday, Feb 28 2013, 23:40)

Not true, you would be surprised by the lack of evidence behind the correlation of young ages and immature posts

Yeah you could be right. But it's obvious that most people on here have no kids and have no idea or care for parent gamers and they're concerns. If you had kids you would at least see where the OP is coming from, not just insult and flame the idea just because you wouldn't use it.
I have kids and i use one earplug while my kids played in the next room. I pause it if they come out. I would use the function, but I would much rather R* focus on a better game than put alot of resources into this concept.

Kifflom112
  • Kifflom112

I like to spam

• Members

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:53 PM Edited by Kifflom112, 28 February 2013 - 11:55 PM.

QUOTE (wallis @ Thursday, Feb 28 2013, 17:38)

First of all, such requirements are useless. It's extremely easy to get pass it so that would only help by - what, 0.01%? And a few of the older users can be a little annoying as well - some arrogant.

Ahem! Now on topic: I feel that this feature would be sort of pointless and more or less, sort of idiotic - a waste. This is a rated M game. If you have such a problem with your child hearing such profanity, then don't play while she or he is around.

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:53 PM

QUOTE (wallis @ Thursday, Feb 28 2013, 18:52)
QUOTE (deffpony @ Thursday, Feb 28 2013, 23:40)

Yeah you could be right. But it's obvious that most people on here have no kids and have no idea or care for parent gamers and they're concerns. If you had kids you would at least see where the OP is coming from, not just insult and flame the idea just because you wouldn't use it.
I have kids and i use one earplug while my kids played in the next room. I pause it if they come out. I would use the function, but I would much rather R* focus on a better game than put alot of resources into this concept.

I agree, alot of people arent putting themselves in the shoes of a parent. But you have at least found your own solution through one headphone earbud

blowtorchrepair
  • blowtorchrepair

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:25 AM

QUOTE (wallis @ Thursday, Feb 28 2013, 10:43)
Most of the kids on here have no idea what its like to balance family and game time when you have a new GTA title. I played IV with one earphone in while my kids played Lego in the next room or were in bed. I also let my older kids drive around and explore. They love it. No weapons allowed, sound down, because of the swearing, no deliberately running people over or fighting. GTA is a game of many levels. Its not always killing and sex. With the swearing removed there's no reason why kids couldn't walk around exploring the impressive cityscape and atmosphere under supervision. And unless you have kids, you should shut the f*ck up. Its about an OPTION for parents.

Excellent comment.

I also let my toddler roam areas of the map of Far Cry 3 where I've cleared the enemies out (who constantly scream "f*ck" and other obscenities at you when encountered ) and she loves it as well. it's like going on Safari on the 100" projection. likes the sharks much as well.

But GTA V will be the ultimate digital play ground. R* is a BUSINESS and this game has a chance to evolve beyond ONLY being that social cancer of a game that many in society would thoroughly enjoy but might avoid with no way to silence the constantly swearing voices around people (friends, children, spouse, etc) who also would find much of the map and environment of GTA impressive and amusing yet might be offended by the non-essential, vulgar voice tracks which are regular in crowded areas. The game could come with a simple voice volume control that would allow map exploration, voice-free, for entertainment in different settings or social situations, WITHOUT removing ANY of the adult content, which I love as much or more as any of the fans here.

I am certain that had I titled this thread with "Voice volume control for console versions of GTA V" instead of the way that I did then the reception might be much different.

My kid loves trains. GTA V will have trains. It'll probably have as much land based wildlife as RDR had, and hopefully more, PLUS whatever ocean life R* will introduce. A simple voice volume control would be and excellent addition to the console versions of the game and would allow parents who supervise their child's media time an avenue to let their child experience the map, planes, trains, automobiles, boats, submarine(s), helicopters, dogs, cows, and all other kinds of animals WITHOUT being yelled "f*ck you!" ever 200 feet in the game.

SCRATCH THE PROFANITY FILTER I mentioned. I know it would prolly be a pain in the ass to implement. The answer is a VOICE VOLUME CONTROL for the console versions, at least, of GTA V.

Also, for every rude commenter on here (haven't ready them all yet. can't wait), most of which I know are youts', someday you'll be twice the age you are now and some of you may realize that it is NOTHING like you thought it would be like when you were young. I'll blame the ignorant and negative comments on your inability to conceive situations and experiences expressed in others comments on this forum for which you have little or no frame of reference.

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:27 AM

I like your revision

blowtorchrepair
  • blowtorchrepair

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:34 AM

QUOTE (deffpony @ Friday, Mar 1 2013, 01:27)
I like your revision

I totally f*ckED UP with how I started this thread. I've worn the dunce cap for it too.

Sorry guys. Saintsrow should have been my editor on that idea. Thanks for helping me make the point.

time to read the rest of these angry comments. smile.gif

AssQ
  • AssQ

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:34 AM

heres an idea since your so worried about your children why dont you get off your ass and take them to the park, spend sometime with them maybe do something educational.

blowtorchrepair
  • blowtorchrepair

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:38 AM

QUOTE (AssQ @ Friday, Mar 1 2013, 01:34)
heres an idea since your so worried about your children why dont you get off your ass and take them to the park, spend sometime with them maybe do something educational.

oh, another clever individual. I did that last weekend, AND helped replace the slide in our neighborhood park which some punk teenage kid burned to the ground last summer. (he was caught and paid for the replacement parts)

do you homework, son. you've got school in the morning.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users