Profanity Filter

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
209 replies to this topic
Carlover325
  • Carlover325

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:56 AM

Profanity filters are unnecessary for a game that is going to be rated M. You don't want your kid to hear it, then don't play it around them.

Lukijs
  • Lukijs

Badump

• Members

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

OP ,use headphones...
It's not even supossed to be played by children. These kids are reasons why some dumb politicians keep raving about videogames. Kids are ''mostly'' those who go around killing hookers,killing ped's in all possible ways and so on. GTA is not about killing and because of those little incompetent brats videogames are treated so badly and it's f*cking parents fault who buy these R rated games and then are horrified about what they're kids are playing. Also while we are at it,why don't we remove all blood and Fatality's from Mortal Kombat ,oh wait there's a game like that already Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe ...it's GTA,it's supossed to be bold,filled with mature themes and violence in GTA isn't just for the sake of it.

Gregers08
  • Gregers08

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

QUOTE (blowtorchrepair @ Tuesday, Feb 26 2013, 00:12)
QUOTE (saintsrow @ Monday, Feb 25 2013, 22:55)
QUOTE (blowtorchrepair @ Monday, Feb 25 2013, 22:12)
How many of you GTA fans are parents?  I am, and I must say with complete honesty that my only fear of exposing my child to my playing GTA IV (and soon GTA V) is not the guns, the violence, the car chases, or the shooting of various weapons.  My only fear is the exposure of a young mind that will repeat everything that it hears to the constant barrage of horrible comments, names, etc. spewed from from peds and other NPCs as I pass them in the game. 

Of course, some might say that the foul language is a part of GTA, or at least the modern GTA games, but after I've heard the ped/NPC character comments over several dozen times then the comments aren't really funny anymore, and the foul language is certainly not integral to simple game play such as driving around the map, exploring, etc.  When I want to play GTA IV in the presence of a young person I can say that it is the uncontrollable foul language of the game which makes this impossible. 

I would welcome the addition of some type of foul language filter for GTA V.  Something like this would, of course, be an optional toggle.

your thoughts?

Many of the replies that you got so far are so f*cking predictable. (yes, I used a profane word and the forum's software filtered it.) These people are so short-sighted.

I completely agree with you that a profanity filter in the GTA games would be a good idea. I know it would be difficult to implement give the storyline and the music and other media, but I think Rockstar should do it.

Everything else in the game are things that kids see on prime time TV and Saturday morning cartoons. But cussing and swearing and naked people are a whole different aspect to polite and civilized company.

Here's a context for you all. There are people, adult colleagues, to whom I want to show GTA IV and GTA V as examples of the leading edge of 3D design and the future of gaming, that if they understand this, they can relate better to their kids and the younger workers. But the profanity and nudity make it NSFW, and not safe for polite cultures, and colors the whole experience, so I have gotten in trouble trying to use these examples. And don't bother telling me that people without open minds should get over it and not be offended, or they don't have to play the game, or they should just f*ck off and die. Life isn't that simple; grow the f*ck up. (note profanity filter used again)

Here's another situation. We made a presentation for a conference on robotics where we decided to use the Robocop scene where the ED-209 has a false alarm with its AI and starts shooting the guy in the corporate boardroom. I strongly suggested to the presenter that he should cut the scene at the instant the first shot is fired. But noooooo, he had to show the whole scene of the office worker getting riddled with bullets and blood splattering all over. It overwhelmed the message we were trying to make, and just made the audience feel uncomfortable.

OP, I get what you are saying.

yes, you get my point.

for the rest of the posters who did not read (or understand) my post and assume that I want to buy GTA V for my child, that is not my point.

Playing some GTA on a weekend while my 3-year old in the house is common. She pops in and out of the room and, for the most part is oblivious to what is really going on while I'm driving around or whatever, but as soon as I get out of a vehicle and take one step I get a "Hey motha-f*cker!" or something else spoken to my character and that's the kid of stuff that you should be able to toggle.

If you get sick of hearing the radio, you can turn it down... same goes for the sound effect of the game. I'd be fine with a "NPC dialogue on/off switch" to kill the needless profanity when I'm playing at a time where I can't bar the door. A switch to kill all NPC street comments would be easy rather than trying to filter certain words out of every script of every NPC.

In my title I joking say that this is for the chilren's sake... but it's not, it's for the sake of the Parent gamer trying to maximize what little game time there is as a parent/adult. I'd bet that if this idea were done right that the silent majority of adults that play this game would be thankful for such a simple control.

I think the point is swearing isn't the only bad thing on show in GTA games, your character will shoot people steal from people some characters will probably take drugs and at some point in the story Trevor will curb stomp someone until their head is caved in. The point is you shouldn't be playing the game when she's around full stop.

I know it's probably difficult to have the time to play games but you've got a responsibility as a father to put your child before the games, either that or find her a quiet activity to do while your playing and play the game with some headphones on, obviously make sure shes near somewhere so you can make sure she doesn't run off and hurt herself. But yeah that's the only option you really have OP either that or get a sneaky hour or two of gaming when everyone has gone to bed.

THEMANatwar
  • THEMANatwar

Work Hard, Play Hard

• Members

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

Then don't let your kid play, wait till they're older. The game isn't made for kids. Plain and simple.

blowtorchrepair
  • blowtorchrepair

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

Good lord, my child does not play the game, people. I never say that I let my kid play the game. This forum is full of pricks looking for any opportunity to rip someone to shreds and malign their character. Part of this forum is to discuss ideas for future games but most seem to be met with, "that's not GTA"... well no sh*t, that's why I'm making a suggestion for something not currently in the game.

GTA V will be a five year game and many adults will play it. For adults it doesn't take long for the chorus of four letter words to get old and really detract from the rest of the brilliance of the open world theater that R* has created. A filter to turn off comments the main character makes while driving and that NPCs make on the street would have some value, but clearly to no one here. And that's fine.

to all of the clever guys out there telling me "get headphones, turn on mute, OR never play GTA with your kid in the same square mile of you or you're a bad parent", I'm not soliciting you advice for life, I'm talking about an NPC comment on/off filter for those who can manage a game without the need to hear "F*CK" a thousand times over. And if I sneak back to the media room to get in some GTA V while the wife and daughter make cookies, a profane comments filter would have some value to keep my child or other guests in the house from hearing bilge from the game when they make a trip to the bathroom which is next to my media room. Whats so hard to understand or comprehend about this?

TheMarkofZollo
  • TheMarkofZollo

Snitch

• Members

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:54 PM Edited by TheMarkofZollo, 26 February 2013 - 12:57 PM.

Mute button? Failing that isn't there an audio option to lower voice volume? Just set that to 0 and leave others up, though not sure if that is just on PC version. I get what you mean, you want to play the game but have to look after kids sometimes.

For the other point it depends on the age of the kid really, too young and they may use it not knowing the effects.
I played GTA 1 a few times when young, only got my parents to buy GTA 3 'cos I put my thumb over the '18' cert moto_whistle.gif at about 13/14. They brought me up knowing right from wrong and I never swore or was violent despite what I heard/saw. I only swear occasionally now due to environment eg at work when others do.

Edit: to the above comment OP, unfortunately that is what happens, people will read only half a title or a little of the post before commenting/replying with their opinions, there are some very silly people out there!

blowtorchrepair
  • blowtorchrepair

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:58 PM Edited by blowtorchrepair, 26 February 2013 - 03:15 PM.

QUOTE (TheMarkofZollo @ Tuesday, Feb 26 2013, 12:54)
Mute button? Failing that isn't there an audio option to lower  voice volume? Just set that to 0 and leave others up, though not sure if that is just on PC version. I get what you mean, you want to play the game but have to look after kids sometimes.

For the other point it depends on the age of the kid really, too young and they may use it not knowing the effects.
I played GTA 1 a few times when young, only got my parents to buy GTA 3 'cos I put my thumb over the '18' cert moto_whistle.gif at about 13/14. They brought me up knowing right from wrong and I never swore despite what I heard. I only swear occasionally due to environment eg at work when others do.

A voice volume? This is great. This would have the same effect of what I'm suggesting, which means that what I speak of and desire in this thread actually is ALREADY IN THE PC VERSION OF THE GAME (imagine that), yet is just called something different, "voice volume". But, I play on xbox and I've never seen such a thing, just music volume and I think sound efx volume or something like that. I don't want to mute the entire game, and I like to hear it through my home theater.

thanks for the sensible reply.

TheMarkofZollo
  • TheMarkofZollo

Snitch

• Members

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

QUOTE (blowtorchrepair @ Tuesday, Feb 26 2013, 12:58)
thanks for the sensible reply.

No worries icon14.gif

I am pretty sure it's on the PC version, it is on most games (I usually have to crank the voices up and other things down to make sure I don't miss any info). It annoys me a little when there are lots of options on my PC games but hardly any on my Xbox ones.

Perhaps buy a profanity bleeper, or just a buzzer and press it when you think someone will swear lol though that's not very practical.

ThunderSt0rm
  • ThunderSt0rm

(CDC ftw)Do you think we could play another game?

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

QUOTE (DJSmurf2009 @ Monday, Feb 25 2013, 22:14)
No point, the children are the worst for it online!

Plus, if its rated 18+ then kids shouldnt be playing the game... Useless parenting....

Who cares, doesn't really matter what and how they rate the game, it won't have any benefit. Welcome to the 21st century, 5 years old play 18+ games now.

dvo
  • dvo

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

The number of people who actually play this game consistently with toddlers in the room is too small of a percentage for a 'language filter' to even be considered.

That's like saying Dairy Queen is coming out with a snot/grass ice cream because six people like it. "You don't have to get it, but you can if you want.."

This just isn't going to happen and really would be pointless to consider.

Radoonhagaydoon
  • Radoonhagaydoon

Ignorance lives everywhere.

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

that mod SA-MP has like 55000 players on at 10 AM to Noon EST - most of those are probably European kids playing the game, LOL!

Ted Bundy
  • Ted Bundy

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE (felinegood @ Tuesday, Feb 26 2013, 00:56)
QUOTE (Ted Bundy @ Monday, Feb 25 2013, 16:30)
You cannot play GTA with your child, you are going to see those things everywhere in the game.

i love you ted bundy inlove.gif

A lot of people love me but I don't know what made people want to be friends. I don't know what made people attractive to one another. I don't know what underlay social interactions.

AtomicPunk
  • AtomicPunk

I'm your huckleberry

• Members

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

Words don't harm people. They're just words. When one of my kids repeat a cuss word that they heard me say, I don't flip out, I just explain to them that those are bad words, words that only adults are allowed to use and that they will get into trouble using them. If they say a cuss word after that, they sit in a little time-out chair in the kitchen. I let my kids drive around in GTA but they cannot enter buildings or do missions, and they have a limited time that I allow them to play it. As a parent, I just try and knudge my kids in the right direction and I talk with them when they see something violent or whatever and make sure that they know that it's just a game and it's unacceptable in the real world.

Onto the profanity filter; I don't think that it should be done. This is an adult game, the same as a rated R movie. Until GTA lego for WII U comes out, we'll just have to suffer. Or don't let your kids play it. As a parent, it's your call. I don't believe that video games poison young minds or turn kids into killers. It's art, and we must make sure that they understand it.

ExtremoMania
  • ExtremoMania

Been saving it for a rainy day...

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

You can't really stop children from playing adult games. I think it's best to orient and just warn them. Let alone children musn't be fully exposed to violence if some guide them.

blowtorchrepair
  • blowtorchrepair

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:58 AM

QUOTE (dvo @ Tuesday, Feb 26 2013, 15:21)
The number of people who actually play this game consistently with toddlers in the room is too small of a percentage for a 'language filter' to even be considered.

That's like saying Dairy Queen is coming out with a snot/grass ice cream because six people like it. "You don't have to get it, but you can if you want.."

I disagree with you estimation of how many GTA fans there are with toddlers who may want to get in some game time on the weekend and who would appreciate a "voice volume" control on the console version of the game. But, so what.

Saintsrow's post on the middle of Page 3 of this thread gave other examples of where such a voice volume control (lets not call it a profanity filter b/c that riles the kids up) would be fitting for a game like GTA.

Another poster noted that the PC version of GTA IV already has a voice volume control. If so then that's fantastic. But why would the PC version of GTA IV have voice volume control? I mean, why would anyone want to turn down all of the language even though most of it is foul language, and foul language 24/7 is what is cool? It's an adult game so I just don't understand why the PC version (if true) would have a voice volume control? could it be that the volume control is there for perhaps the same reasons I want one?

K-Malo94
  • K-Malo94

Latin Thug

• Members
  • Puerto-Rico

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:43 AM

Look, dude. This is the reality of life. Some things in this world are created for adults without taking children into consideration. Just because you see something as a convenience to you, doesn't mean that there is a whole lot of validity for it being in existence.

When you buy a game and look at the content its rated for. THATS WHAT YOU GET.

You have 2 options

Don't play the game when your children are around.

OR

Play the game around your children but EXPLAIN to them that the things they hear are too grown up for them to say or talk about. (honestly, unless they're actually watching you play, they're probably not paying too much attention anyway. and maybe keep the a little volume low and your door closed when guests are in the house?)

If YOU yourself can't handle excessive cursing, then too bad. seriously you make it seem like curse words are heard every 5 seconds.

.dre.
  • .dre.

reminder 6/12

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:46 AM

Let's have a blood filter. Replace the guns with walkie talkies. Why stop there? Let's just have all three protagonists just sit there talking about how they are going to rob banks but not actually do it (without profanity ofcourse).

Rock Howard
  • Rock Howard

Some Aussie Dude.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:24 AM

Ok so after a few more posts from the OP we now have a little more information. Your daughter isn't going to be playing the game it would seem, so I think the best advice, on the whole that can be given to the original poster is that if you have a daughter that I'm presuming isn't going to school yet and you want to play a game while taking care of her, whilst she's doing something else in the same room as you or whatever then a GTA game simply isn't the game to be playing whilst looking after a child. Throw on something else. Forza or LittleBigPlanet or whatever.... biggrin.gif

Leave GTA 5/games like it for when she's not around/not in your care would be my suggestion. That's what I do.

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

Dime store angel of death

• Members
  • None
  • Best Work Writer's Discussion 2016 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]
    Best Story/Poem 2015 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:20 AM Edited by saintsrow, 27 February 2013 - 05:24 AM.

QUOTE (blowtorchrepair @ Wednesday, Feb 27 2013, 00:58)

I disagree with you estimation of how many GTA fans there are with toddlers who may want to get in some game time on the weekend and who would appreciate a "voice volume" control on the console version of the game. But, so what.

Saintsrow's post on the middle of Page 3 of this thread gave other examples of where such a voice volume control (lets not call it a profanity filter b/c that riles the kids up) would be fitting for a game like GTA.

Another poster noted that the PC version of GTA IV already has a voice volume control. If so then that's fantastic. But why would the PC version of GTA IV have voice volume control? I mean, why would anyone want to turn down all of the language even though most of it is foul language, and foul language 24/7 is what is cool? It's an adult game so I just don't understand why the PC version (if true) would have a voice volume control? could it be that the volume control is there for perhaps the same reasons I want one?

That is a great idea to generalize the name of the control as the "voice volume control". In fact that is actually the control that I was looking for at one time, both to get rid of the NPC banter, as well as to adjust the relative levels of radio, SFX and NPCs in general. Yeah, I might actually want to do that.

Thanks for referring to my post where I described some alternative situations. I wrote it to open people's minds to a wider context, but apparently it mostly did not work, either because it was TLDR or because the kiddies here still can't see beyond their own little lifestyles and egos.

I can offer further a further context where it would be nice to have a voice volume control. Kids, you should read this. It's kind of a different scenario.

Let's say I am a typical 10 year old kid in February 2014, after GTAV has been out for 3 months. Several of my friends' older brothers have GTAV on their game consoles, and of course visiting their houses after school over the last few months, I have gotten to see half of GTAV already, plus previously sampling all the older GTA games back as early as when I was 6 years old.

A few times the big kids have let me play GTAV, and in that time, I have killed NPCs point blank with shotguns, banged the ho's in my Sentinel (and then killed them of course), run over old lady NPCs for fun, killed cop NPCs for fun, and incidentally heard every cuss word in the game 50 times already. This is when we weren't watching pr0n and other sick Internet sh*t on one of the older kids' computers. So by now, I have watched numerous GTA cutscenes full of cuss words, though the older players have mostly skipped over the cutscenes as soon as they start, so they can get back to playing the game.

As that 10 year kid, after seeing everything in GTAV once, I don't care about the cuss words, I don't care about the ho's or the strip clubs, I don't give a sh*t about the storyline or the stupid cutscenes - I just want to drive all the cars and shoot all the guns and explore and discover in complete freedom, in a true masterpiece sandbox game called GTAV.

That's actually true. So I really really really want my Mom and Dad to get me GTAV for my Xbox 360 so I can play it at home, instead of just when the big kids let me have the controller for a few minutes. I'm begging and begging them to get me GTAV for my 11th birthday.

My Mom is shopping for my birthday and sees the game in Target. She says, "It's rated 18+, Why? Has it got sex scenes in it? Drugs, naked girls, perverts, cussing, liberal ideas?" I say, "No, nothing like that, it's just because it's got guns and bombs and stuff just like COD and it's supposed to be too intense for kids, but I've played it over at Joey's and its no big deal. It's just so much fun. You can explore the whole countryside and you should see the city, wow, it's fantastic! That's all I want for my birthday, please, can I get it, please? I'll mow the yard all summer!"

So my Mom and Dad talk, and they see how much I want GTAV and they look at the other video games like COD, and they see that they are all either violent and mindless, or they are like stupid kid's Saturday morning cartoon tie-ins, and so they finally decide, yes, it's OK, He really wants GTAV. Let's make him happy. He's only young once. Life's a bitch when you grow up, got to help make some happiness when the time is right, or the opportunity is gone forever.

So, miracle of miracles, they actually get me GTAV. I am so happy!!!

My birthday comes around a few days later. It's a small party, 5 or 6 of my friends (all of whom have already seen as much GTAV as I have) and a few of the parents who are hanging around, talking to my Mom and Dad. After the cake and stupid Happy Birthday song and some other rituals, they give me the GTAV disk. Wowwww!

So we all want to play GTAV right away. The Xbox 360 is in my room, thank goodness, not out on the big TV in the family room. I take the disk and my friends follow me to my room, so we can play GTAV for the rest of the party before the adults get tired of talking about their boring adult sh*t and want to take their kids home. My Mom says, "Leave the door open. I don't want you kids smoking crack in there."

I boot up GTAV and sign in, and go to the Options menu so I can set up the game controls and display and sound. I have the TV sound muted, so we don't hear the opening cutscene and I don't give a f*ck about the story anyway. As soon I get to the menu, I turn down the "voice volume control" to zero, so that later I don't have to worry about the adults hearing a couple of "f*ck"'s and snatching the disk out of my console so my innocent little mind won't be corrupted forever.

I learned about all this at school. Billy got his GTAV disk confiscated, because his Dad was walking by his room while he was playing GTAV last week with a couple of other kids (therefore Billy did not have his headphones on, like he usually does when he watches dirty movies on cable TV or the Internet in his room, having learned how to bypass the parental controls from his peers in elementary school). His Dad, who had already seen and approved of the gunplay in GTAV, heard a couple of cuss words from GTAV NPCs, and shut down Billy's fun. Billy forgot to turn down the GTAV voice volume control and he didn't remember to mute the cutscenes. I don't want this to happen to me, so I am careful.

Sidebar: You see, elementary school is like prison. A young guy gets sent to prison for some relatively minor crime like taking a joyride in some rich guy's Maserati. While he is there in jail for a year, he learns all the career criminal tricks, so that he is a much better criminal when he gets out; he levels up. Similarly in elementary school, kids learn from their peers and upper classmates how to bypass parental controls by using default passwords, resetting the cable box, changing a file on the computer, turning down the voice volume control in GTAV, etc, or getting drugs or sniffing glue or whatever. Elementary school is like crime school, the same way that prison is like crime school.

Anyway, back to my 11th birthday. In my room with my friends, I get the GTAV game running and get past the stupid opening cutscenes as soon as I can, with the TV sound muted so that any parents passing by won't hear a torrent of cuss words from my open-door room. Now I have the voice volume muted and I am free to turn up the TV sound again, and we can all start playing the game and having fun.

Parents occasionally pass by the open door to the room, and they see that we are all having a lot of fun playing GTAV and it makes them happy. They look in and see us driving and flying around the city, seeing wonderful sights, occasionally mowing down an NPC or launching an RPG into a crowd, but it's no big deal, typical kid fun game time. One of the mothers says, "You kids know that shooting people is wrong, OK? It's just a game." We are living in a beautiful idyllic world.

My Dad stops in for five minutes, and I show him the incredible sights and sounds of GTAV, the beautiful city, the fantastic countryside, sunset on the ocean, a storm in the mountains, mountain bike racing, and he says, man, this game is really cool. I didn't know they were doing such cool stuff these days! Later on, can you make me an user account so I can play too? You can show me all the good stuff. It'll be a great father-son bonding experience. I'm glad we got you GTAV!

Because I, an 11 year smart kid, knew enough to turn down the voice volume on GTAV so that parents happening by would not hear "cheesy vaginas" or "come here and lick my banana bread" or "ever been down south?" I get to play GTAV with my friends, with the sound turned up, and my parents are happy...life is great. But if there were no voice volume control, I'd end up like Billy. That would suck balls, big time.

Moral of the story: If you're a kid and you want to play GTAV with your friends, or bond with your father playing the greatest video game of the decade, use the GTAV voice volume filter, so that parents won't f*ck up your fun with their attempts to protect you from the real world, as seen in a video game.

jdm4life92
  • jdm4life92

Rat

• Members

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:24 AM Edited by jdm4life92, 27 February 2013 - 05:34 AM.

Kids shouldnt be playing this game or be in the same room if they are not allowed to hear cuss words

ayepocalypse
  • ayepocalypse

--Click Here--

• Members

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:32 AM

QUOTE (jdm4life92 @ Wednesday, Feb 27 2013, 05:24)
Kids shouldnt be playing this game if they are not allowed to hear cuss words

Some people don't even read the OP post....

jdm4life92
  • jdm4life92

Rat

• Members

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:36 AM

I edited it but still think they shouldn't be in the same room and if youhave kids to watch maybe you shouldnt be playing games in the first place..

Bobbin100
  • Bobbin100

I like trains. Do you?

• Members

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:38 AM

QUOTE (saintsrow @ Wednesday, Feb 27 2013, 05:20)
QUOTE (blowtorchrepair @ Wednesday, Feb 27 2013, 00:58)

That is a great idea to generalize the name of the control as the "voice volume control". In fact that is actually the control that I was looking for at one time, both to get rid of the NPC banter, as well as to adjust the relative levels of radio, SFX and NPCs in general. Yeah, I might actually want to do that.

Thanks for referring to my post where I described some alternative situations. I wrote it to open people's minds to a wider context, but apparently it mostly did not work, either because it was TLDR or because the kiddies here still can't see beyond their own little lifestyles and egos.

I can offer further a further context where it would be nice to have a voice volume control. Kids, you should read this. It's kind of a different scenario.

Let's say I am a typical 10 year old kid in February 2014, after GTAV has been out for 3 months. Several of my friends' older brothers have GTAV on their game consoles, and of course visiting their houses after school over the last few months, I have gotten to see half of GTAV already, plus previously sampling all the older GTA games back as early as when I was 6 years old.

A few times the big kids have let me play GTAV, and in that time, I have killed NPCs point blank with shotguns, banged the ho's in my Sentinel (and then killed them of course), run over old lady NPCs for fun, killed cop NPCs for fun, and incidentally heard every cuss word in the game 50 times already. This is when we weren't watching pr0n and other sick Internet sh*t on one of the older kids' computers. So by now, I have watched numerous GTA cutscenes full of cuss words, though the older players have mostly skipped over the cutscenes as soon as they start, so they can get back to playing the game.

As that 10 year kid, after seeing everything in GTAV once, I don't care about the cuss words, I don't care about the ho's or the strip clubs, I don't give a sh*t about the storyline or the stupid cutscenes - I just want to drive all the cars and shoot all the guns and explore and discover in complete freedom, in a true masterpiece sandbox game called GTAV.

That's actually true. So I really really really want my Mom and Dad to get me GTAV for my Xbox 360 so I can play it at home, instead of just when the big kids let me have the controller for a few minutes. I'm begging and begging them to get me GTAV for my 11th birthday.

My Mom is shopping for my birthday and sees the game in Target. She says, "It's rated 18+, Why? Has it got sex scenes in it? Drugs, naked girls, perverts, cussing, liberal ideas?" I say, "No, nothing like that, it's just because it's got guns and bombs and stuff just like COD and it's supposed to be too intense for kids, but I've played it over at Joey's and its no big deal. It's just so much fun. You can explore the whole countryside and you should see the city, wow, it's fantastic! That's all I want for my birthday, please, can I get it, please? I'll mow the yard all summer!"

So my Mom and Dad talk, and they see how much I want GTAV and they look at the other video games like COD, and they see that they are all either violent and mindless, or they are like stupid kid's Saturday morning cartoon tie-ins, and so they finally decide, yes, it's OK, He really wants GTAV. Let's make him happy. He's only young once. Life's a bitch when you grow up, got to help make some happiness when the time is right, or the opportunity is gone forever.

So, miracle of miracles, they actually get me GTAV. I am so happy!!!

My birthday comes around a few days later. It's a small party, 5 or 6 of my friends (all of whom have already seen as much GTAV as I have) and a few of the parents who are hanging around, talking to my Mom and Dad. After the cake and stupid Happy Birthday song and some other rituals, they give me the GTAV disk. Wowwww!

So we all want to play GTAV right away. The Xbox 360 is in my room, thank goodness, not out on the big TV in the family room. I take the disk and my friends follow me to my room, so we can play GTAV for the rest of the party before the adults get tired of talking about their boring adult sh*t and want to take their kids home. My Mom says, "Leave the door open. I don't want you kids smoking crack in there."

I boot up GTAV and sign in, and go to the Options menu so I can set up the game controls and display and sound. I have the TV sound muted, so we don't hear the opening cutscene and I don't give a f*ck about the story anyway. As soon I get to the menu, I turn down the "voice volume control" to zero, so that later I don't have to worry about the adults hearing a couple of "f*ck"'s and snatching the disk out of my console so my innocent little mind won't be corrupted forever.

I learned about all this at school. Billy got his GTAV disk confiscated, because his Dad was walking by his room while he was playing GTAV last week with a couple of other kids (therefore Billy did not have his headphones on, like he usually does when he watches dirty movies on cable TV or the Internet in his room, having learned how to bypass the parental controls from his peers in elementary school). His Dad, who had already seen and approved of the gunplay in GTAV, heard a couple of cuss words from GTAV NPCs, and shut down Billy's fun. Billy forgot to turn down the GTAV voice volume control and he didn't remember to mute the cutscenes. I don't want this to happen to me, so I am careful.

Sidebar: You see, elementary school is like prison. A young guy gets sent to prison for some relatively minor crime like taking a joyride in some rich guy's Maserati. While he is there in jail for a year, he learns all the career criminal tricks, so that he is a much better criminal when he gets out; he levels up. Similarly in elementary school, kids learn from their peers and upper classmates how to bypass parental controls by using default passwords, resetting the cable box, changing a file on the computer, turning down the voice volume control in GTAV, etc, or getting drugs or sniffing glue or whatever. Elementary school is like crime school, the same way that prison is like crime school.

Anyway, back to my 11th birthday. In my room with my friends, I get the GTAV game running and get past the stupid opening cutscenes as soon as I can, with the TV sound muted so that any parents passing by won't hear a torrent of cuss words from my open-door room. Now I have the voice volume muted and I am free to turn up the TV sound again, and we can all start playing the game and having fun.

Parents occasionally pass by the open door to the room, and they see that we are all having a lot of fun playing GTAV and it makes them happy. They look in and see us driving and flying around the city, seeing wonderful sights, occasionally mowing down an NPC or launching an RPG into a crowd, but it's no big deal, typical kid fun game time. One of the mothers says, "You kids know that shooting people is wrong, OK? It's just a game." We are living in a beautiful idyllic world.

My Dad stops in for five minutes, and I show him the incredible sights and sounds of GTAV, the beautiful city, the fantastic countryside, sunset on the ocean, a storm in the mountains, mountain bike racing, and he says, man, this game is really cool. I didn't know they were doing such cool stuff these days! Later on, can you make me an user account so I can play too? You can show me all the good stuff. It'll be a great father-son bonding experience. I'm glad we got you GTAV!

Because I, an 11 year smart kid, knew enough to turn down the voice volume on GTAV so that parents happening by would not hear "cheesy vaginas" or "come here and lick my banana bread" or "ever been down south?" I get to play GTAV with my friends, with the sound turned up, and my parents are happy...life is great. But if there were no voice volume control, I'd end up like Billy. That would suck balls, big time.

Moral of the story: If you're a kid and you want to play GTAV with your friends, or bond with your father playing the greatest video game of the decade, use the GTAV voice volume filter, so that parents won't f*ck up your fun with their attempts to protect you from the real world, as seen in a video game.

Wow

simonp92
  • simonp92

Whodunit?

• Members

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:52 AM

Are you serious?

DO NOT LET YOUR KID PLAY IT THEN!!! It's not for the developer to make an adult game kid friendly. It's your own damn fault as a parent.

Vin89
  • Vin89

Peon

• Members

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:01 AM

Great parenting! Instead of actually playing with your children you sit them down and let them watch you play a game for adults.

Play GTA V whenever you are free to do so. But start taking care of your kids. I can't imagine playing GTA in front of kids has much of an educational effect on them...

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:08 AM

Serious problems with reading comprehension -- SAT scores must be dropping worldwide.... confused.gif

It'll be exciting when people posting in this topic actually take a bit of time to understand what the OP is really talking about before they go off and type some worthless nonsense. Especially true for posters who have no children of their own, giving parental advice -- yeah.

simonp92
  • simonp92

Whodunit?

• Members

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:19 AM

QUOTE (saintsrow @ Wednesday, Feb 27 2013, 09:08)
Serious problems with reading comprehension -- SAT scores must be dropping worldwide.... confused.gif

It'll be exciting when people posting in this topic actually take a bit of time to understand what the OP is really talking about before they go off and type some worthless nonsense. Especially true for posters who have no children of their own, giving parental advice -- yeah.

I read it. If the OP doesn't want't his/her kid to play GTA, why make this thread? There's plenty of games in which you can shoot pool or drive around in fast cars, which are not rated M. It's not for R* to make this kid friendly in anyway.

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:43 AM

QUOTE (simonp92 @ Wednesday, Feb 27 2013, 09:19)
QUOTE (saintsrow @ Wednesday, Feb 27 2013, 09:08)

It'll be exciting when people posting in this topic actually take a bit of time to understand what the OP is really talking about before they go off and type some worthless nonsense.  Especially true for posters who have no children of their own, giving parental advice -- yeah.

I read it. If the OP doesn't want't his/her kid to play GTA, why make this thread? There's plenty of games in which you can shoot pool or drive around in fast cars, which are not rated M. It's not for R* to make this kid friendly in anyway.

Like I said, reading comprehension. The OP wrote:

.... must say with complete honesty that my only fear of exposing my child to my playing GTA IV .....

and

my child does NOT play the damn game. that is not what this thread is about.

You said:
DO NOT LET YOUR KID PLAY IT THEN!!!

I'm not trying to be an asshole, but your post is a perfect example of the lack of reading comprehension that I wrote about. Sorry. You can take comfort in the fact that it seems like 80% of the responders to this post also failed to get the point.

Also, for anybody that wants a more complete picture of why this optional mode might be nice, please see a couple of my posts above where I describe other social situations in which multiple people with different backgrounds might be present while a GTA game is being played. It's not always about the kid playing GTAV all by themselves without adult supervision. There are other scenarios, though not apparently for the majority of the posters on this topic.

DS 17
  • DS 17

om nom nom

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:51 AM

Not necessary, that's what game ratings are for.

urbanfire
  • urbanfire

Ze Fire of da City

• Members

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

Use f*cking headphones if profanity bothers your children so much...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users