Profanity Filter

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
209 replies to this topic
blowtorchrepair
  • blowtorchrepair

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:12 PM Edited by blowtorchrepair, 26 February 2013 - 03:26 PM.

How many of you GTA fans are parents? I am, and I must say with complete honesty that my only fear of exposing my child to my playing GTA IV (and soon GTA V) is not the guns, the violence, the car chases, or the shooting of various weapons. My only fear is the exposure of a young mind that will repeat everything that it hears to the constant barrage of horrible comments, names, etc. spewed from from peds and other NPCs as I pass them in the game.

EDIT: I must rephrase a part of the paragraph above because I think the wrong meaning is being inferred due to the wording. Let me put it a different way here. I have played GTA IV after story complete in the presence of my child mostly just driving/racing around, flying the helicopters, and shooting pool with Jacob and I don't engage in ho-banging or violence. The profanity regularly blurted from NPCs is the only thing ruining the game from having some play value in the presence of young people. my child does NOT play the damn game. that is not what this thread is about. END EDIT.

Of course, some might say that the foul language is a part of GTA, or at least the modern GTA games, but after I've heard the ped/NPC character comments over several dozen times then the comments aren't really funny anymore, and the foul language is certainly not integral to simple game play such as driving around the map, exploring, etc. When I want to play GTA IV in the presence of a young person I can say that it is the uncontrollable foul language of the game which makes this impossible.

I would welcome the addition of some type of foul language filter for GTA V. Something like this would, of course, be an optional toggle.

your thoughts?

EDIT 2: On page 5 of this thread it was brought to my attention by TheMarkofZollo that something like this on/off switch I desire for NPC dialogue basically IS ALREADY IN THE PC VERSION OF THE GAME in the form of a Voice Volume control, which is even better than what I proposed. So, an optional "censorship" of all voices, not just the dirty ones, has been in the game for some time. I rest my case.

DJSmurf2009
  • DJSmurf2009

V Hunter

• Members

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:14 PM

No point, the children are the worst for it online!

Plus, if its rated 18+ then kids shouldnt be playing the game... Useless parenting....

The-San-Andreas-man
  • The-San-Andreas-man

Certified Furry!

• Members

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:14 PM

I respect your opinion, but really? A bad language filter? What about the violence and the crimes? Isn't that worse?

And just don't let your kids play the game if you think it's bad for them. Wait until they are ready.

Raavi
  • Raavi

Z

• None
  • Best Moderator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:17 PM

The game will be rated "M" for mature or 18+, so with all due respect "kids" should not even play it. I know kids will play it but why would Rockstar put a profanity filter in a game that's meant to be played by people who are 18+. It just doesn't make sense. And trust me buddy, a game is the last place they'll pick up some "nice" words to add to their dictionary.

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

The floor here will kill you, try to avoid it.

• Members

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

QUOTE (blowtorchrepair @ Monday, Feb 25 2013, 15:12)
How many of you GTA fans are parents? I am, and I must say with complete honesty that my only fear of exposing my child to my playing GTA IV (and soon GTA V) is not the guns, the violence, the car chases, or the shooting of various weapons. My only fear is the exposure of a young mind that will repeat everything that it hears to the constant barrage of horrible comments, names, etc. spewed from from peds and other NPCs as I pass them in the game.

Of course, some might say that the foul language is a part of GTA, or at least the modern GTA games, but after I've heard the ped/NPC character comments over several dozen times then the comments aren't really funny anymore, and the foul language is certainly not integral to simple game play such as driving around the map, exploring, etc. When I want to play GTA IV in the presence of a young person I can say that it is the uncontrollable foul language of the game which makes this impossible.

I would welcome the addition of some type of foul language filter for GTA V. Something like this would, of course, be an optional toggle.

your thoughts?

While an optional swear filter wouldn't bother me, I would say just tell your kids where it's appropriate to swear and where it's not. That's how my parents taught me.

Dick Valor
  • Dick Valor

Cold Ass Honky

• Members

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:19 PM

What a waste of time and effort. Just don't play GTA in front of your kids. Problem solved.

Frantz Fuchs
  • Frantz Fuchs

640509-040147

• Members

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:22 PM

Well then, don't let your children play it if you think they're not mature enough to play it...

Ted Bundy
  • Ted Bundy

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

You cannot play GTA with your child, you are going to see those things everywhere in the game.

Capricornus
  • Capricornus

R.I.P Zee -_-

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

Honestly speaking, I really respect and like your concern for your child. However, I think this request is very silly. Its really all about the parenting. I am 23 years old now, and I played the first GTA (on the PS1) when I was just 7 years old. I heard all of the profanity used but I never repeated them/used them.

Like Racecarlock said, such a filter would not bother me either. However, it would look VERY silly, maybe even ridiculous, for an option menu, in a GTA game, to have the option of turning the profanity on or off. Besides, its rated "M" for mature, so if it concerns you this much, simply do not buy the game. If its for you, try playing the game without the kids being around.

TheD94
  • TheD94

Undead

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:37 PM

Either let them play GTA or not.
If the game has such filter which can be enabled/disabled, it might happen that children (and that's going to happen if there is such filter) disable the filter later some day after playing to discover what nice words are hidng behind the censorships. Such a filter is really useless and just a waste of time.

loony979
  • loony979

Homie

• Members

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

There's a RATING on every game made these days ,It's up to the parents to enforce this ! or not ...

If you do not like what your child is playing take it away ,it's as simple as that.

This Feature your asking for will not happen any time... not from R* biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

.kiwi_4
  • .kiwi_4

Previously known as KiiWiiDeee

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:45 PM

Naah. If the parents buy the games for their kids, put up with what the 18 rated (!) game has to offer!

latigreblue
  • latigreblue

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

Earphones are your best options in your situation.

Bobbin100
  • Bobbin100

I like trains. Do you?

• Members

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

QUOTE (blowtorchrepair @ Monday, Feb 25 2013, 22:12)
How many of you GTA fans are parents? I am, and I must say with complete honesty that my only fear of exposing my child to my playing GTA IV (and soon GTA V) is not the guns, the violence, the car chases, or the shooting of various weapons.

Wait, what about the strip clubs and sex?

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:54 PM

If the game is 18+ you shouldn't be letting your kids see it full stop if you're that concerned...

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

Dime store angel of death

• Members
  • None
  • Best Story/Poem 2015 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:55 PM

How many of you GTA fans are parents?  I am, and I must say with complete honesty that my only fear of exposing my child to my playing GTA IV (and soon GTA V) is not the guns, the violence, the car chases, or the shooting of various weapons.  My only fear is the exposure of a young mind that will repeat everything that it hears to the constant barrage of horrible comments, names, etc. spewed from from peds and other NPCs as I pass them in the game. 

Of course, some might say that the foul language is a part of GTA, or at least the modern GTA games, but after I've heard the ped/NPC character comments over several dozen times then the comments aren't really funny anymore, and the foul language is certainly not integral to simple game play such as driving around the map, exploring, etc.  When I want to play GTA IV in the presence of a young person I can say that it is the uncontrollable foul language of the game which makes this impossible. 

I would welcome the addition of some type of foul language filter for GTA V.  Something like this would, of course, be an optional toggle.

your thoughts?

Many of the replies that you got so far are so f*cking predictable. (yes, I used a profane word and the forum's software filtered it.) These people are so short-sighted.

I completely agree with you that a profanity filter in the GTA games would be a good idea. I know it would be difficult to implement give the storyline and the music and other media, but I think Rockstar should do it.

Everything else in the game are things that kids see on prime time TV and Saturday morning cartoons. But cussing and swearing and naked people are a whole different aspect to polite and civilized company.

Here's a context for you all. There are people, adult colleagues, to whom I want to show GTA IV and GTA V as examples of the leading edge of 3D design and the future of gaming, that if they understand this, they can relate better to their kids and the younger workers. But the profanity and nudity make it NSFW, and not safe for polite cultures, and colors the whole experience, so I have gotten in trouble trying to use these examples. And don't bother telling me that people without open minds should get over it and not be offended, or they don't have to play the game, or they should just f*ck off and die. Life isn't that simple; grow the f*ck up. (note profanity filter used again)

Here's another situation. We made a presentation for a conference on robotics where we decided to use the Robocop scene where the ED-209 has a false alarm with its AI and starts shooting the guy in the corporate boardroom. I strongly suggested to the presenter that he should cut the scene at the instant the first shot is fired. But noooooo, he had to show the whole scene of the office worker getting riddled with bullets and blood splattering all over. It overwhelmed the message we were trying to make, and just made the audience feel uncomfortable.

OP, I get what you are saying.

epicluca
  • epicluca

Red Dead Remasterdemption

• Members
  • GoSquared

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:56 PM

That's why it's rated 18.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

Killed by drones.

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Talented Writer 2015
    Most Talented Writer 2014
    Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:57 PM

It's an 18 game - not for children. If you're letting your kids play it, then don't complain about it's content - that's your decision as a parent, not rockstar's

Why would rockstar put in a filter on an adult game?

caiaof
  • caiaof

Amputechture

• Members

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:58 PM

people are weird. GTA is a game where you can kill everyone and commit a vast array of crimes and you are worried if the kids will see semi-nude poligons or hear bad words?

Bobbin100
  • Bobbin100

I like trains. Do you?

• Members

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:00 PM

QUOTE (saintsrow @ Monday, Feb 25 2013, 22:55)
Many of the replies that you got so far are so f*cking predictable. (yes, I used a profane word and the forum's software filtered it.) These people are so short-sighted.

Look who's talking...

Capricornus
  • Capricornus

R.I.P Zee -_-

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:03 PM

How many of you GTA fans are parents?  I am, and I must say with complete honesty that my only fear of exposing my child to my playing GTA IV (and soon GTA V) is not the guns, the violence, the car chases, or the shooting of various weapons.  My only fear is the exposure of a young mind that will repeat everything that it hears to the constant barrage of horrible comments, names, etc. spewed from from peds and other NPCs as I pass them in the game. 

Of course, some might say that the foul language is a part of GTA, or at least the modern GTA games, but after I've heard the ped/NPC character comments over several dozen times then the comments aren't really funny anymore, and the foul language is certainly not integral to simple game play such as driving around the map, exploring, etc.  When I want to play GTA IV in the presence of a young person I can say that it is the uncontrollable foul language of the game which makes this impossible. 

I would welcome the addition of some type of foul language filter for GTA V.  Something like this would, of course, be an optional toggle.

your thoughts?

I completely agree with you that a profanity filter in the GTA games would be a good idea. I know it would be difficult to implement give the storyline and the music and other media, but I think Rockstar should do it.

Everything else in the game are things that kids see on prime time TV and Saturday morning cartoons. But cussing and swearing and naked people are a whole different aspect to polite and civilized company.

Here's a context for you all. There are people, adult colleagues, to whom I want to show GTA IV and GTA V as examples of the leading edge of 3D design and the future of gaming, that if they understand this, they can relate better to their kids and the younger workers. But the profanity and nudity make it NSFW, and not safe for polite cultures, and colors the whole experience, so I have gotten in trouble trying to use these examples. And don't bother telling me that people without open minds should get over it and not be offended, or they don't have to play the game, or they should just f*ck off and die. Life isn't that simple; grow the f*ck up. (note profanity filter used again)

Here's another situation. We made a presentation for a conference on robotics where we decided to use the Robocop scene where the ED-209 has a false alarm with its AI and starts shooting the guy in the corporate boardroom. I strongly suggested to the presenter that he should cut the scene at the instant the first shot is fired. But noooooo, he had to show the whole scene of the office worker getting riddled with bullets and blood splattering all over. It overwhelmed the message we were trying to make, and just made the audience feel uncomfortable.

What f u cking filter?

Raavi
  • Raavi

Z

• None
  • Best Moderator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:04 PM

QUOTE (saintsrow @ Monday, Feb 25 2013, 23:55)

your thoughts?

Yeah, and block boobs of with black bars, sensor blood, why don't sensor the whole f*cking game why you're at it? I've got news for you GTA V has references to sexual topics all over the f*cking trailers for V and all over their previous games. No pun intended. It's in the nature of the franchise. I'm not so sure if a game like GTA V is the best example to show of "3D Design". lol.gif

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

Dime store angel of death

• Members
  • None
  • Best Story/Poem 2015 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:05 PM

QUOTE (Capricornus @ Monday, Feb 25 2013, 23:03)

your thoughts?

What f u cking filter?

Very cute biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

S5L3T0
  • S5L3T0

Peon

• Members

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:05 PM Edited by S5L3T0, 25 February 2013 - 11:10 PM.

It's a mature game made for adult gamers. How about just not letting your kid play it? It's like saying there should be a censored SAW because 'what about the kids?!'

Seriously, it's the responsibility of YOU, the parent, to keep your kids from hearing swear words, not Rockstars.

Raiden雷電
  • Raiden雷電

I Am Lightning, The Rain Transformed

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:09 PM

QUOTE (Raavi @ Monday, Feb 25 2013, 17:17)
The game will be rated "M" for mature or 18+, so with all due respect "kids" should not even play it. I know kids will play it but why would Rockstar put a profanity filter in a game that's meant to be played by people who are 18+. It just doesn't make sense. And trust me buddy, a game is the last place they'll pick up some "nice" words to add to their dictionary.

In America its M 17+, but I've been playing GTA since I was 8-9 years old, GTA 3 being the first GTA I played. Then I played GTA SA and Vice City when I was 11. GTA IV when I was only 16. So does it really matter who plays the game? IMO no it doesn't. However, to answer your question, no they don't need a filter for this, Just don't let them play the game if you don't want them to hear it. If they are like 9 or 10, then wait until they are at least 12-13. But you might want to watch your children daily, because they might sneak up at night and play the game while you are sleeping XD. I know this because Me and my cousin did this with SA.

Fail_At_GTA
  • Fail_At_GTA

Actually awesome at GTA

• Members

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:23 PM

Ill be honest... This is the only suggestion thats worse than zombies, although its fairly close.

Johan
  • Johan

Free The Future

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Dominican-Republic
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA]

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:38 PM

No, no, no and no. It's GTA for a reason it doesn't need no profanity off option..

DJSmurf2009
  • DJSmurf2009

V Hunter

• Members

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:40 PM

Here's a context for you all.  There are people, adult colleagues, to whom I want to show GTA IV and GTA V as examples of the leading edge of 3D design and the future of gaming, that if they understand this, they can relate better to their kids and the younger workers.  But the profanity and nudity make it NSFW, and not safe for polite cultures, and colors the whole experience, so I have gotten in trouble trying to use these examples.  And don't bother telling me that people without open minds should get over it and not be offended, or they don't have to play the game, or they should just f*ck off and die.  Life isn't that simple; grow the f*ck up.  (note profanity filter used again)

Use a different game to highlight the future of gaming, or just use scenes in which there is no nudity nor swear words in a presentation.... COMMON SENSE, ITS THERE FOR A REASON!

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

Homie

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:47 PM

If it was rated 12+, it would be ok, but, if you fear that your children from swearing, well why do you by them an 18+ game ?
A filter is completely useless in an 18+ game: It's like an unrated version of a child movie.

blowtorchrepair
  • blowtorchrepair

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:12 AM

your thoughts?

yes, you get my point.

for the rest of the posters who did not read (or understand) my post and assume that I want to buy GTA V for my child, that is not my point.

Playing some GTA on a weekend while my 3-year old in the house is common. She pops in and out of the room and, for the most part is oblivious to what is really going on while I'm driving around or whatever, but as soon as I get out of a vehicle and take one step I get a "Hey motha-f*cker!" or something else spoken to my character and that's the kid of stuff that you should be able to toggle.

If you get sick of hearing the radio, you can turn it down... same goes for the sound effect of the game. I'd be fine with a "NPC dialogue on/off switch" to kill the needless profanity when I'm playing at a time where I can't bar the door. A switch to kill all NPC street comments would be easy rather than trying to filter certain words out of every script of every NPC.

In my title I joking say that this is for the chilren's sake... but it's not, it's for the sake of the Parent gamer trying to maximize what little game time there is as a parent/adult. I'd bet that if this idea were done right that the silent majority of adults that play this game would be thankful for such a simple control.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users