Photo

Outsiders view of the forums

22 replies to this topic
pr0n
  • pr0n

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

I've been lurking on this site for a while, almost exclusively in the news section etc. I've recently started trying to read through the forums but it's been quite frustrating. I see everyone (forced to by mods) is trying to cram 70 pages worth of content into single topics for the sake of... organization I guess. But it's flipping impossible to start trying to sort through it by the time it's on page 70.... I get to the most recent replies and they're all out of context so I scan back a few pages to try to get context and all those are out of context..... it's impossible.

So maybe just let people post and talk in a more natural way instead of forcing everything into a paginated, impossible to sort through view?

There's a reason that the topics view is sorted nicely and is easy to sort through.... and when if you really think about it there's absolutely no way that 70 pages worth of crap should fall under 1 topic. It's much easier to just be more granular and chronological in the organization in the long run. It might make your OCD tick but at least someone can come in and enjoy reading some content.

Just my 2 cents.

Adriaan
  • Adriaan

Uncut

• Members
  • None
  • Most Helpful [GTA Series] 2012
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2012
    Most Respected 2012
    Most Helpful 2012
    Best Returning Member 2012
    Best Contributor [GTA Series] 2012
    Best Forum Ledby 2012
    Best Moderator 2012

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:51 PM

Hey thanks for the feedback. Can you give me an example or elaborate on the "forcing" of content into single topics?

pr0n
  • pr0n

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:55 PM Edited by pr0n, 25 February 2013 - 09:04 PM.

Hey thanks for the feedback. Can you give me an example or elaborate on the "forcing" of content into single topics?

Topics being closed because they've already been mentioned elsewhere mostly.

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada
  • Best Forum Ledby 2011
    Best Forum Ledby 2010
    GTANet Contribution Award
    GTANet Helpfulness Award

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

I don't really think we're trying to force everything people post into single topics. There's just no need for a couple hundred topics about the same thing, such as people's wishlists, or people saying they want zombies.

Moved to suggestions

pr0n
  • pr0n

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE (Ryan @ Monday, Feb 25 2013, 20:55)
I don't really think we're trying to force everything people post into single topics. There's just no need for a couple hundred topics about the same thing, such as people's wishlists, or people saying they want zombies.

Moved to suggestions

I get that but how am I supposed to find something worth reading or replying to in 335 pages worth of posts?

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada
  • Best Forum Ledby 2011
    Best Forum Ledby 2010
    GTANet Helpfulness Award

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE (pr0n @ Monday, Feb 25 2013, 16:57)

Moved to suggestions

I get that but how am I supposed to find something worth reading or replying to in 335 pages worth of posts?

There's a search function which you can use to search the topic for whatever you're looking for.

pr0n
  • pr0n

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE (Ryan @ Monday, Feb 25 2013, 20:59)
QUOTE (pr0n @ Monday, Feb 25 2013, 16:57)

Moved to suggestions

There's a search function which you can use to search the topic for whatever you're looking for.

I swear I'm not trying to just be a smart ass but 'something worth reading or replying to' doesn't really return good results. If you get what I'm trying to say.... and as far as I can tell it only returns topics.... most of which are have 50 or more pages.... and there's tens of thousands of posts buried in those topics...

lazy.
  • lazy.

could you PLEASE stop using that f*cking blue font?!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

QUOTE (pr0n @ Monday, Feb 25 2013, 20:57)

Moved to suggestions

Simply put, you don't. tounge.gif

Unnecessary things being posted in 335 pages isn't a problem with the forum staff, it's in general those who post such things.

I'm sure it's not as bad as you say, though, you'll only have to go through the 3 most recent pages at the most to find something you'd like to reply to.

EDIT: If the engine turns up topics, there's a little option in the bottom right of the search engine. By default it says "show results as topics".
Switch that option to "Posts" and there you go.

Adriaan
  • Adriaan

Uncut

• Members
  • None
    Most Respected 2012
    Most Helpful 2012
    Best Forum Ledby 2012
    Best Moderator 2012

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

QUOTE (pr0n @ Monday, Feb 25 2013, 22:55)
Topics being closed because they've already been mentioned elsewhere mostly.

I think I know what you're talking about. I've already said to one or two forum leaders that it's better to close topics with a link to an existing topic - as opposed to leaving it with:

Already discussed. Locked.

Another option is also obviously to merge the new topic into the existing thread when possible. Simply locking topics without a link doesn't allow further discussion, because not all members can be aware that the same topic already exists.

And I understand the old and dated search function can be a bit tricky to find things. I suggest you use the Google version, as well - which is easier to find topics/posts. You can find it by hitting up the Search Page as a guest (or rather, as in Chrome, "Ignonito Mode"). Firefox also has a private mode.

But as Ryan said, things like personal wishlists should go in the wishlist thread - hence why they are locked.

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada
  • Best Forum Ledby 2011
    Best Forum Ledby 2010
    GTANet Helpfulness Award

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:26 PM

Just to add to what Adriaan said about merging topics, I tend not to do that as it usually leads to confusion as the one topic disappears into the other without any trace.

Adriaan
  • Adriaan

Uncut

• Members
  • None
    Most Respected 2012
    Most Helpful 2012
    Best Forum Ledby 2012
    Best Moderator 2012

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

Right exactly... I should have elaborated: It mostly works for topics that are already both on the first page (as opposed to merging in with dated topics). During times of V reveals, we often have multiple topics pop up about the same thing (like when the submarine screenshot came out). There was no need to have multiple submarine threads, so they were merged, because both topics had interesting discussion and it wasn't fair to get rid of one of them.

Closing new topics with links to an existing [dated] topic is a good idea, and I think we've been pretty good at that lately (like with the multiple Zombie threads that pop up now and then [better to just have ONE]).

Another example is the multiple next-gen threads... we don't really need multiple threads discussing the PS4/360, so it was best to just leave it down to one or two. Even though it's somewhat off-topic, we understand that we're in a V info drought so we have some leeway towards things like that to have something to discuss at least.

Jakee.
  • Jakee.

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:26 PM

The fact that you guys haven't updated IP.Board Astounds me, honestly.

The search is tonnes better, UI and general usability is also 100% improved. Why are you guys still on 1.3? :confused:

uNi
  • uNi

instantrum

• None

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:11 AM

QUOTE (Jakee. @ Tuesday, Feb 26 2013, 00:26)

The search is tonnes better, UI and general usability is also 100% improved. Why are you guys still on 1.3? :confused:

Technically speaking this is not v1.3, it has been modified to suit our needs.

That's why there's no official updates trough it.

22ka
  • 22ka

VETRON

• Members

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

I have a question that's been bugging me.

Why don't you guys delete all/most your locked topics so that way we don't we don't end up finding somthing that seems interesting but is ultimatly useless now.

Just a thought...

Or maybe if that's a problem how's about asking the creator of that topic via personal message if he/she rather have it locked or deleted after you lock it.

Adriaan
  • Adriaan

Uncut

• Members
  • None
    Most Respected 2012
    Most Helpful 2012
    Best Forum Ledby 2012
    Best Moderator 2012

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

^
Sometimes locked topics helps people learn what gets locked, e.g. personal wishlist threads. This helps stop those topics from happening again.

But I agree perhaps cleaning up ones that really don't have to be there can be binned once the user has been made aware why his/her topic was locked. I've certainly done that in the past myself, but will try and do that more from here on out. icon14.gif

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

I know you've been complaining, but you weren't ready.

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE (Jakee. @ Monday, Feb 25 2013, 23:26)

The forum is modded from head to toes, the Admin CP is even broken due to all the mods and custom things, upgrading is not an option for now I guess. We will still see V1.5 anf V2 tho.

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTA V/Online Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

QUOTE (Jakee. @ Tuesday, Feb 26 2013, 00:26)

The software of the forum is so heavily modified that the owner of this forum couldn't even expect support from the Technical Support. However, GTANet V1.5 will probably come in Spring this year and GTANet V2 follows then in a few years although nobody knows it exactly. V2 is a software that is written from scratch from GTANet for GTANet and it will be fully customizeable. The staff is quiet about the details of both forum softwares, V1.5 and V2. Name changes and adding forum skins will be probably possible again with V1.5 though it's not sure. We will know it when it finally happens.

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

If we are talking about topics with large numbers of replies(which can be a pain to decipher though)? There was a plan enacted back in 2007 to help make this easier, but was scraped for some reason? Here was an example of the plan.. that was used in the VC section, to where all 1000+ reply topics got locked by a mod and a new topic about the subject was created with a link to the original topic for reference. This would be a good idea and help make searching for things in large topics-and pretty much ALL pinned topics are large in replies-go much quicker and easier?

Radoonhagaydoon
  • Radoonhagaydoon

Ignorance lives everywhere.

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

QUOTE (radioman @ Tuesday, Feb 26 2013, 15:57)
If we are talking about topics with large numbers of replies(which can be a pain to decipher though)? There was a plan enacted back in 2007 to help make this easier, but was scraped for some reason? Here was an example of the plan.. that was used in the VC section, to where all 1000+ reply topics got locked by a mod and a new topic about the subject was created with a link to the original topic for reference. This would be a good idea and help make searching for things in large topics-and pretty much ALL pinned topics are large in replies-go much quicker and easier?

It's like this at Bethesda forums, they lock it after 200 replies--maybe cause people can search for posts so they can view it easily instead of searching pages hours for a certain reply? It's a good idea for this forum--since searching the steak topic for example is torture and can't even find a certain reply since it's buried.

Moth
  • Moth

Fiat justitia ruat caelum

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:35 AM

QUOTE (Radoonhagaydoon @ Tuesday, Feb 26 2013, 17:04)
QUOTE (radioman @ Tuesday, Feb 26 2013, 15:57)

It's like this at Bethesda forums, they lock it after 200 replies--maybe cause people can search for posts so they can view it easily instead of searching pages hours for a certain reply? It's a good idea for this forum--since searching the steak topic for example is torture and can't even find a certain reply since it's buried.

Why would you search through the Steak topic in the first place? That topic is a long running joke on GTAF, there is nothing of value in it.

And the forum is apparently going to upgraded later this year, so it should clear up some of the complaints.

Finite
  • Finite

Solitude

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Discussion Award [Gaming]
    Literary Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:44 PM

As much as I hate to admit it, this guy's got a fairly valid point. Perhaps to increase good and relevant discussion in a lot of topics there could be something similar to Facebook's liking system where you'd be able to search for the best posts by the number of likes that they'd received.

This could actually spark some interesting discussions and maybe allow people like this guy to get involved in conversations that are far more intriguing then most of the stuff that we've got around this forum. Perhaps there should even be a way to like topics so that you could search for a topic by the number of likes that it had, rather then the number of posts.

Just my two cents.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:50 PM

I agree with the OP as well and with what Lightning had to say.

I remember when I first came to the Forums, I posted in the Gaming section about something then within 5secs someone posted "This topic is already made, here: (link)" Okay, but after browsing 15 pages, I never seen that topic, that's just how old the original topic was. Is it truly that much of a disruption to have another topic? When the other one hasn't been posted to in months?

I know multiple topics can be chaotic at times.. but some topics grow better than others, no matter the same info, discussion or what have you. The Likes option is a cool concept but I could care less if it happens or not. I see the same topics brought up on several occasions and they all spark the same interest as the 1st one.

A J
  • A J

Use your Illusion

• Members
  • Wales
  • Best Event 2012 [Gang Wars]

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:28 PM

You have to give some sympathy towards the mods though, they get so many mindless idiots posting the same sh*t all the time, if they did decide to be more flexible, it could lead to 'opening the floodgates'.

I think there needs to be some common sense though, and like GW said, if it's 10+ pages back, then it's bullsh*t you have to search for it first.

Some places on here, get 'over-moderated'. Others need to be that way!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users