Photo

Can't Play GTA IV - WS10 Error

8 replies to this topic
S0UTHERN_C0MF0RT
  • S0UTHERN_C0MF0RT

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:45 AM

I bought GTA IV for $15 today (great deal), and I have been trying to install it all night. Let me take you through the situation:

I came home, popped in GTA IV, and started installing GTA IV. Once everything was done installing, I launched GTA IV, and I received the following error: "GTA IV FATAL ERROR: WS10". Of course, I was confused, so I began searching online about this error and any possible workarounds; I found many results from this site, and I tried too many to count.

At one point, I got the "GTA IV FATAL ERROR: WS10" message to go away, only to be replaced by the infamous "GTA IV has stopped working..." By this time, I was frustrated at how Windows was being stupid, and I started searching for a workaround to remove the "GTA IV has stopped working..." error message, and I tried more suggestions, but nothing worked for me.

After this, I decided to do a clean install of GTA IV in hopes that maybe I had a bad install. I went through the entire process of the install again, but I received the same "GTA IV FATAL ERROR: WS10" message. Again, I searched for workarounds, but nothing helped. Now, I am forced to bother you nice people with yet another "Halp! I can't play GTA IV!" thread. I apologize for this, but I hope you guys can help me smile.gif

Here are the following workarounds that I remember trying:

- Restarting my computer
- Uninstalling/Reinstalling GTA IV
- Opening up Games for Windows (This is a problem, too - whenever I try opening up Games for Windows Live, all I get is a splash screen and nothing after that. No error message or anything. I tried a few workarounds and even used this last-resort guide)
- The suggestions from the Rockstar Support page.
- Uninstalling/Reinstalling Games for Windows Live (about a million times)
- A couple cmd commands and 'Run' commands

That's all I can remember trying. Here are my system specs:

- GTA IV retail disc version (U.S.)
- Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
- 16GB RAM
- Intel Core i7 3610QM @ 2.3Ghz
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 675M
- 550GB of free HDD space
- Samsung Series 7 Gamer laptop

I appreciate your help, and thanks for your help smile.gif

Miro
  • Miro

Time Killa™

• Zaibatsu
  • Romania
  • GTANet Contribution Award [Newbie Guide]
    Most Improved 2010

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:53 AM

Have you tried to un-install and re-install Windows Live?
Try to install the Games for Windows Live Update, this might fix it. In case it doesn't try to also install the GTA IV Patch 1.0.7.0 & the .NET Framework 3.5. In case that doesn't work, do the following steps:
  • Uninstall the game.
  • Delete any leftover files from the game folder.
  • Reinstall the game.
  • Delete all files from the Settings folder (choose the right directory depending on your Operating System):
    • Windows XP SP3 - C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\Settings
    • Windows Vista - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\Settings
      Windows 7 - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\Settings

Try out the solution from the first two pages in this topic, maybe something will help you. icon14.gif

S0UTHERN_C0MF0RT
  • S0UTHERN_C0MF0RT

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:59 AM

Thanks for trying to help, miromiro, I really appreciate it smile.gif Unfortunately, none of those workarounds fixed the problem sad.gif

Miro
  • Miro

Time Killa™

• Zaibatsu
  • Romania
  • GTANet Contribution Award [Newbie Guide]
    Most Improved 2010

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:06 AM

Wait, so you tried what I told you in 6 minutes? Try each of the solutions I gave you and also the ones from that topic. Something HAS to help you. Don't give up already. I skipped the part where you said you re-installed Windows Live, but what about the other stuff?

S0UTHERN_C0MF0RT
  • S0UTHERN_C0MF0RT

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:07 AM

QUOTE (miromiro @ Sunday, Feb 24 2013, 09:06)
Wait, so you tried what I told you in 6 minutes? Try each of the solutions I gave you and also the ones from that topic. Something HAS to help you. Don't give up already. I skipped the part where you said you re-installed Windows Live, but what about the other stuff?

LOL, I know it seems like I did it super fast, but actually I tried the suggestions you provided before I made this thread. This thread is kind of my last resort wink.gif

If this doesn't work, I'll take GTA IV back to where I purchased it and get a refund.

S0UTHERN_C0MF0RT
  • S0UTHERN_C0MF0RT

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:27 AM

Just to make sure, I tried those suggestions you posted, and I still receive the "GTA IV FATAL ERROR: WS10" message confused.gif

Prometheus
  • Prometheus

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

You can install XLiveless, even though it disables online play.

S0UTHERN_C0MF0RT
  • S0UTHERN_C0MF0RT

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:07 PM Edited by S0UTHERN_C0MF0RT, 25 February 2013 - 10:21 PM.

Thanks for the suggestion, PrometheusX smile.gif

I extracted the files from the RAR folder. I read the instructions, which said to transfer the 'xlive.dll' file to the game folder, so I did just that. I launched GTA IV (I tried from the Program Files x86 and from the disc), and the cmd window appeared and then disappeared. After that, nothing happened sad.gif

Thanks again. Are there any more suggestions? smile.gif

S0UTHERN_C0MF0RT
  • S0UTHERN_C0MF0RT

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:03 AM

I appreciate you guys' help, I really do smile.gif Unfortunately, I have decided that I am going to return GTA IV to Wal-Mart and get a refund.

I download CCleaner and cleaned out any registry errors, which allowed me to finally open Games for Windows - LIVE. However, after uninstalling Games for Windows - Live and reinstalling the program, I still received the WS10 fatal error. I'm done fighting with this game - I should not have to fix something the developers should have prevented before selling their product.

Thanks again for your help!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users