Photo

Opinions Needed on cars.

17 replies to this topic
kamil121
  • kamil121

I been doin this for nearly 3 years xD

• Members

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:35 PM

Hi guys. I recently put my car up for sale and got some offers.

One is a Honda CRX Del Sol. I own a Honda now and had a 'tegra for a few months too. I know Honda's are reliable and even with a 1.5 SOHC Vtec they are pretty poferful. So What are your opinions on this. Does the roof need much maintenance. Prices of parts. Is the roof of good quality materials?
Del Sol Owners or friends of Del Sol Owners.

The other one is a 1.6 Mazda Mx-5. Newer had a Mazda before. neither did my dad or any of my friends. Are they hard on petrol? Would it be hard to get insurance on a 1995 Mx-5 Model? What about roof reliability? Do the need much maintenance? Are parts for them expensive.

And something very wild that is in my price range if i don't swap for any of these cars.

A 2.0 Nissan Skyline GTS-T R33 .
I would be able to get the Skyline and i also found insurance that would cover me for 1700 euro. I got work so it wouldn't be a problem really. I found a nice 2.0 Skyline with a Turbo locally for 1650 euro. Would it be worth it. It has Road Tax paid for next year and also has NCT (National Car Test) untill 2014. Same questions as on cars before. A R33 was always my dream car since i saw Leon's Skyline in The Fast And The Furious So i would love to own one. It doesn't matter to me how they are on petrol but i don't know anyone who can give me opinions on anything else about the R33.

So if please help me here. Mostly i would be looking at the Mx-5 and the Skyline but Del Sol are also a option.

Garfield 2
  • Garfield 2

BMW Maniac

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

Skyline's jap scrap, you're going to get pulled over at least once a week - it's fine as long as you have everything in order, but it can be a pain in the ass (my old school buddy had a Skyline for 3 months - he got fed up with the guards)
The miata is a fun, well balanced little car, as for the Del Sol, there was an episode of Zakup Kontrolowany with one there, and it turned out to be rubbish, so I don't know...

I'd take the miata.

Carlover325
  • Carlover325

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:12 PM

I know several people that have owned Del Sols. One loved his. Another hated hers. She wasn't much for maintaining her vehicles, so that could be part of it. I alsi have 3 neighbors with Miatas ranging from '95-'04, and they all love them. I have no idea about Skylines, though.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:23 PM

I'd take the Skyline if I were you. The MX-5 would also be good. My mum had one when I was in primary school and even as a passenger it felt fun.

Sup3rman
  • Sup3rman

Legen- wait for it -dary

• Members

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:56 PM

Don't get a Skyline, because you are gonna get pulled over? What ever...
Obviously this is just a question for the op himself, which one do you like? The Skyline is ofc the best and most expensive, but then again the Miata/MX5 is so fun to drive.

Garfield 2
  • Garfield 2

BMW Maniac

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:14 AM

QUOTE (Sup3rman @ Saturday, Feb 23 2013, 22:56)
Don't get a Skyline, because you are gonna get pulled over? What ever...
Obviously this is just a question for the op himself, which one do you like? The Skyline is ofc the best and most expensive, but then again the Miata/MX5 is so fun to drive.

The OP lives in Ireland, so do I. I had a lot of contact with Skyline owners since most of my mates actually had one - these are very popular drug dealer cars here, and they get pulled over quite a lot.

Think twice before posting stuff. It will do you well.

ItsAllAboutGTA
  • ItsAllAboutGTA

Blessed

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:38 AM

The skyline is okay to choose,the MX5 is good to but,i think the skyline is more fun to drive then the skyline

Anyway,i depends on your taste,which one you love more ? the skyline or the MX5 ?

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO
  • Best Contributor [Vehicles] 2012

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:07 AM

I drove the hell out of my buddy's turbo miata today. Hit an easy 110 in it a few hours ago (rev limiter of the megasquirt is set at a way too low 5500 and 110 is what it's rpm governed to). Absolutely wicked cars when they have the right things done to them.

I wouldn't mind an RB20DET skyline but they're really more suited to be swapped into little S13's than their stock application R33. R33's are kind of heavy for a 20.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Empty Pleasures and Desperate Measures since 1994

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

The RB20DET is pretty gutless for such a large car. It, as well as the N/A variants, are pretty much for people who want to say they have a Skyline but can't afford to buy or maintain the GTS-T or GT-R versions. Out of those three, MX-5 is by far the "purest" and probably the most fun choice.

Sup3rman
  • Sup3rman

Legen- wait for it -dary

• Members

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE (Garfield 2 @ Sunday, Feb 24 2013, 00:14)

Khm, how should i know which country the guy is from? No flag or nothing. Dont be a wiseass PLEASE, no offense.

On topic, i guess MX5 is an excellent choice. I don't really like the first gen models because of the front, and prefer second gen ones, but for driving pleasure it is like a gokart. Small, light, nimble.

Garfield 2
  • Garfield 2

BMW Maniac

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE (Sup3rman @ Sunday, Feb 24 2013, 10:56)
QUOTE (Garfield 2 @ Sunday, Feb 24 2013, 00:14)

Khm, how should i know which country the guy is from? No flag or nothing. Dont be a wiseass PLEASE, no offense.

On topic, i guess MX5 is an excellent choice. I don't really like the first gen models because of the front, and prefer second gen ones, but for driving pleasure it is like a gokart. Small, light, nimble.

You're like the only person that doesn't know kamil lives in Ireland.

Sup3rman
  • Sup3rman

Legen- wait for it -dary

• Members

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE (Garfield 2 @ Sunday, Feb 24 2013, 11:00)
You're like the only person that doesn't know kamil lives in Ireland.

So freaking what? Lord knows what will now happen because i don't know that...
Stop spamming.

Starion
  • Starion

hmm..

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:21 PM Edited by Starion, 24 February 2013 - 01:25 PM.

MX5 is a great choice, I had mine over the summer of last year and it was great fun, especially with the roof off. The car's are good looking, well made and a lot of car for the money, however:

- I had a 1.8is. personally I would have got a early 1.6, but that's just my opinion.

- Make sure it's rust free, these cars deteriorate from the inside out so try not to take any chances. Check the condition of the sills all the way along, especially at the rear area of the sill where they often tend to rot through.

- The water drains tend to get blocked, which is a major reason why the sills rot in the first place. Tools can be bought to clean them out and it's not a difficult job really.

- Check the front wings where the wing joints the bumper, and check the bottom left corner of the wing where it joins the sill also. The windscreen frame tends to rot also, so check for any bubbling around the drains.

- My car had a full respray prior to buying it which I'm sure hid a lot of trouble spots, however despite how clean my car was it had repair weld patches on both sides of the floor where it joins the rear sill so be careful! Bring someone with you who has experience checking cars if need be.

- Buy a car with history, that's been well maintained. This may seem like a no brainer and a Mazda may seem reliable straight out the box, but the bad luck that plagued mine made me wish I had bought a more genuine car.

- Make sure it's had a recent cambelt change, if not - change it. The cambelt on my car jumped a tooth and forced me to change mine, despite the previous owner recently changing it.

- If it has power steering, CHECK IT FOR LEAKS. My car's power steering return pipes started leaking - total nightmare. I ended up retro fitting manual steering, which actually ended up improving the drivability lots.

- Check the rocker cover for leaks, and check all the coolant hoses for wear and age. My rocker cover and CAS unit were slowly dripping oil onto the rear heater hoses. The heater hoses split on the motorway which caused the car to overheat, which in turn blew my head gasket.

- Make sure the car has had a recent 4 wheel alignment, if not have one done as soon as. Due to the suspension set up on these a good alignment set up is crucial, the car will wander over bumps and feel very skittish if not.

- Rear brake calipers often seize, I was lucky with mine as it had already had new calipers. I know someone who's front brake caliper seized also.

Anyways, this is why I no longer have an MX5! tounge.gif

Also the roofs WILL drip water from where the front of the roof meets the screen. New hoods can be professionally fitted over here for around 250, however if needed you could get a whole roof and hood of a breaking MX5 for like 75.

Also they are not good on fuel, mine would never get more than around 25MPG, maybe around 27MPG if I creeped around. My current 2.5 straight 6 BMW does better on fuel than my MX5 did.

Apart from all this MX5's are faily bulletproof, and despite the faults I loved mine and would have another, I'd just be more careful this time round.

Anyway enough of my MK1 MX5 buyers guide, here's a picture of mine: (mines the left one)

user posted image

stinomontana
  • stinomontana

contract chiller

• Members

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:40 PM Edited by stinomontana, 24 February 2013 - 01:44 PM.

I own a del sol, there pretty fun to drive and really give you that 'go-kart' feel.

although i'm not sure if the 1.5 is any good, its automatic right?

i would recommend the 1.6 sohc atleast.

Also from your post i think it has an automatic roof? i dont have that option on mine, but ive heard storys of lots of parts that can break, and the roof contains alot of small parts.

and it adds about 80kg of extra weight.

Really if you're buying one make sure the point where your doorlocks hit the body that there arent any bends or rips in them. (i hope you get my point, its difficoult to explain in english)

And the usual oil leaks.

i'd personally would go with the mx-5 if i where you. but purely because its RWD.

kamil121
  • kamil121

I been doin this for nearly 3 years xD

• Members

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Thanks to Starion I got a bit of knowledge on what should i look at when buying a MX-5. Im leaning towards the Mazda as lots of you there say that they are fun to drive.

In the Skyline I know i will get pulled over in bigger towns but in the small town where i live we don't get harrassed as much by the Garda. I will need to think about both these cars. Maybe even go and test drive both of them.

I like the design of the Del Sol though. It has something nice in it. The one im offered is a 1.5 Vtec-e Manual. With manual targa top 169k miles on the clock but im not sure if it has the test. I might just wait a bit more and get the MX-5 or the Skyline. If anyone knows more about MX-5 and the R33 RB20DET Skyline please share your opinion here.
Someone asked me on here which car i love more The Skyline or MX-5
To be honset i love both of them both look good, Get good opinions and with proper maintenance they go a long way.

BTW don't fight on here. To make everything clear Im Polish and i Live in Ireland just Like Garfield2.

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO
  • Best Contributor [Vehicles] 2012

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:20 PM Edited by Lurch, 24 February 2013 - 05:46 PM.

QUOTE (Starion @ Sunday, Feb 24 2013, 08:21)
- I had a 1.8is. personally I would have got a early 1.6, but that's just my opinion.

Why? I've driven 2 1.6's, a 1.8 swap w/ 1.6 ignition parts and throttle body, a 1.8 turbo on 10 psi. Also ridden in another 1.8 car. The 1.6 is absolutely gutless compared to the 1.8. The BP is an absolutely wonderful engine. More usable power everywhere in the range compared to the 1.6. And if you're going to ever turbo one or build one up into some sort of monster, the BP is a much better canidate. They're arguably stronger motors than 1.6's.

1.8 NA's also had way better stearing racks. The PS-deleted looped power rack in my buddy's 94 turbo car is the sh*t. 1.8's also have the stronger 7" diff with a better optional torsen LSD compared to 1.6's 6" diff with optional Viscous LSD. Torsen>Viscous. You also have the option of putting in a clutch type LSD carrier out of non-turbo FC RX7 if you choose in the 1.8 as they use the same basic diff. There's just way more options on what you can do with a 1.8 car vs. a 1.6.

Thereforey personal preference for Miatas will always be 94-97 1.8 NA's.

Starion
  • Starion

hmm..

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

No real reason, I thought the 1.8 was a great engine I think it's more down to the cars themselves.

I prefered my friends early 1.6 mostly becase of the minor things, the 1.6 just seemed a bit more pure! The 1.8's however have much better brakes. smile.gif

Garfield 2
  • Garfield 2

BMW Maniac

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

QUOTE (kamil121 @ Sunday, Feb 24 2013, 14:34)
I like the design of the Del Sol though. It has something nice in it. The one im offered is a 1.5 Vtec-e Manual. With manual targa top 169k miles on the clock but im not sure if it has the test.

Pop over to http://carsireland.ie/add.php and pop in the reg if you know it. It will show you if there's tax and nct.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users