Quantcast

» «
Photo

Is there any chance of a massive overhaul?

4 replies to this topic
Remix
  • Remix

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

Maybe I've been blessed with Reddit and it's relatively effective way to filter out posts that don't contribute to the discussion, but is there any chance of GTAF adopting a similar approach?

I'd love to be able to 'upvote' posts that are informative, detailed and genuinely worth reading rather than the current 99% of rubbish that clogs up most of the forum pages. I'm definitely not trying to rant or anything, but I'd love to not have to cipher through several pages of a topic just to come across something worth reading, and even if I do reply to the post the chances of the initial poster seeing it is very slim. I'm sure you're all well aware, but a lot of forums have a message system so when someone quotes or replies to a post, the person is then notified.

It's possibly not doable on the current infrastructure, but I'd happily donate to the site if it meant someone was paid to improve the forum. It's getting increasingly more frustrating coming across pages and pages of one sentence replies which usually never a contribute to the actual topic.

The best forums have systems in place so users are rewarded (whether it's through karma or points) when posting informative content. At the moment, GTAF users thrive off the "post count" and believe that the higher post count somehow translates into a good user - rarely is this ever the case.

I don't know, maybe it's been discussed before (I did search, believe me!) but I thought I'd just throw my two cents in.
Cheers. <3

Girish
  • Girish

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

The 'post count' was never meant to be indicative of user quality and that's the reason why the count was removed from posts. Although, I'll agree with you that we lack an effective system where members can like/respect a post that deserves credit.

Fortunately, Tank is working on a similar system and the new forums will bring in a lot of changes and new features when they go live sometime this year. I don't have a lot of info on this as the project is still in beta testing phase and there's still quite some work left to be done but I'm sure a lot of people will be more than satisfied with it.

Remix
  • Remix

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

Awesome, glad to hear mate. I'd love to be able to quickly access a thread and view the most interesting content first (the comments that have been upvoted).

Looking forward to it! Hopefully it's out before GTA V is released. Cheers.

BAF-stueycow
  • BAF-stueycow

'StueyCow'

• Members
  • England

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

it would be good like a drop down menu where you coud have it so,

-Most useful fist
- Newest first
- Oldest first ect..

MIKON8ERISBACK
  • MIKON8ERISBACK

My real name is Michael. #FACT.

• Members

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

The overhaul, believed to be GTANet 1.5 or 2.0 is said to have been in conception and development for years now. The answer is yes it is coming, but not until a currently undetermined time this year. My guess would be sometime this spring or summer. Projects like this at this time in development are like classified information and generally only the administrators will know an awful lot about it, but unfortunately, even they don't seem to really wanna talk about it. Their opinion is that stuff like this is best kept as a surprise until later on.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users