Official PS4 Topic

2,956 replies to this topic
Android
  • Android

For the Colorful

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:31 AM

QUOTE (JOSEPH X @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 02:06)
QUOTE (Hiphiphorhay @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 06:30)
im probably buying the ps4 when it comes out. but is it worth buying since everyone says there will be bugs and whatnot that theyll fix by the time the 2nd set of ps4s come? i kind of think it isnt but im not very patient so im probably not going to wait.

It'll be a few years before they bring out a new model I reckon, so it's up to you if you want to wait that long.

2015-2017 will probably give us a slim model.

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:44 AM

QUOTE (gionascm2 @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 11:32)
QUOTE (finn4life @ Sunday, Jul 14 2013, 19:44)
Maybe a dumb question, buy why would you want to preorder a digital game?

Ican see why you would want to for a physical game, incase the store ranout of copies, but it all goes live day one for digital copies...it's not like you're getting it earlier or anything.

He did mention why, it's just forpreorder DLC bonuses.

@gionacasm. Just be aware digital copies are going to cost 10-25 dollars more if you're purchasing from EA or Ubisoft.

Has this been confirmed? dontgetit.gif

Digital copies already cost far more on current PSN and XBL title if you are buying from Ebay or Ubisoft because that is their preferred price point, retailers don't charge that much because they know nobody wants to pay that much.

http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=564339

Trund
  • Trund

I'm all of ach fo her

• Members

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:53 PM

Have you guys seen this already? http://www.engadget....opment-kit-fcc/

It's about the devkit of the PS4, but this is interesting:

Also of note is a "max clock frequency" listing of 2.75GHz, and although we don't know how fast the game system will run by default, it's interesting to hear what all that silicon may be capable of (as a commenter points out below, that may relate to the system's 8GB of GDDR5 RAM) while maintaining a temperature between 5 and 35 degrees celsius.

Apparently it's not exactly known what's meant by the max clock frequency, but it would be really surprising if the CPU could handle such a clock speed.

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:02 PM

QUOTE (Trund @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 16:53)

Also of note is a "max clock frequency" listing of 2.75GHz, and although we don't know how fast the game system will run by default, it's interesting to hear what all that silicon may be capable of (as a commenter points out below, that may relate to the system's 8GB of GDDR5 RAM) while maintaining a temperature between 5 and 35 degrees celsius.

Apparently it's not exactly known what's meant by the max clock frequency, but it would be really surprising if the CPU could handle such a clock speed.

it actually could I guess. its just an heating issue which would appear. probably they have a solution for that though

F4L?
  • F4L?

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE (iNero @ Thursday, Jul 18 2013, 02:02)
QUOTE (Trund @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 16:53)

it actually could I guess. its just an heating issue which would appear. probably they have a solution for that though

Lots of ventilation it looks like haha

Hiphiphorhay
  • Hiphiphorhay

Rat

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:24 PM

im probably buying the ps4 when it comes out. but is it worth buying since everyone says there will be bugs and whatnot that theyll fix by the time the 2nd set of ps4s come? i kind of think it isnt but im not very patient so im probably not going to wait.

YukiEiri
  • YukiEiri

l33t nekkid skillz...

• Members

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:11 AM

Doesn't the "operating temperature" mean the temperature where unit is supposed to be used, not the temperature of the CPU itself?
I mean that the unit is supposed to be used in between temperatures of 5-35 degrees celcius. And normal room temperature is around 20 degrees celcius.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:21 AM

QUOTE (finn4life @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 07:44)
QUOTE (gionascm2 @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 11:32)
QUOTE (finn4life @ Sunday, Jul 14 2013, 19:44)
Maybe a dumb question, buy why would you want to preorder a digital game?

Ican see why you would want to for a physical game, incase the store ranout of copies, but it all goes live day one for digital copies...it's not like you're getting it earlier or anything.

He did mention why, it's just forpreorder DLC bonuses.

@gionacasm. Just be aware digital copies are going to cost 10-25 dollars more if you're purchasing from EA or Ubisoft.

Has this been confirmed? dontgetit.gif

Digital copies already cost far more on current PSN and XBL title if you are buying from Ebay or Ubisoft because that is their preferred price point, retailers don't charge that much because they know nobody wants to pay that much.

http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=564339

I honestly don't know why digitally downloaded games arent at LEAST a couple of $/ cheaper than boxed retail games.

They arent using money to manufacture the cases, discs or manuals, they don't have to ship them to stores or lose out, they can never run out of copies on a launch as well. They think people don't know it costs them much less and they continue to try and scam us with it.

Why the f*ck not just sell on demand games at a tiny bit cheaper, it will give people more incentive to do that, therefore they could eradicate the used game market right there. Everyone would be happy, except retailers but f*ck em.

So is it confirmed we have day 1 downloads on PS4? I don't see why not, Xbox One will and PS3 does now I think, still f*cking stupid that Watch Dogs and Battlefield 4 are priced at 54.99.

f*ck off with that sh*t.

Durden
  • Durden

The annoying voice in your head

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:31 PM Edited by gionascm2, 18 July 2013 - 01:34 PM.

Digital games are cheaper because they don't charge you for tax. So a $59.99 game would normally total $67.79, whereas digitally you save $8. Because of this, buying strictly digital is a lot more feasible, especially during this upcoming gen where all games will be available digitally. Don't forget that there are also price drops; not as generous as Steam, but the prices do fall over time.

Another huge reason to buy strictly digital is for the sake of file-sharing. My friend & I are forming this partnership, where we buy all our games strictly digitally and give each other our download list. This way, we get each others' games for free. I estimate to have ~200 games for my PS4 by the end of the generation, which comes to around $13,000. But with file sharing, I can potentially cut that number in half, saving thousands of dollars.

And that is why I'm making the jump to digital for next gen. There's really no reason to purchase physical copies of PS4 games when you look at these points.

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:53 PM

quick question about the recording feature of the PS4. ( again)

Its said that the PS4 will record all the time so that you can always replay the last 15 minutes.

the question is:

does this affect the performence of the hardware? cause we know that fraps on PC can decrease the fps count alot.

we know that the PS4 has a secondary chip for background processing and downloading.

I just hope the GPU/CPU performence doesnt gets reduced because of such a feature... would just be stupid

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

100% Natural awesomeness in every post.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:02 PM

QUOTE (iNero @ Thursday, Jul 18 2013, 16:53)

Its said that the PS4 will record all the time so that you can always replay the last 15 minutes.

the question is:

does this affect the performence of the hardware? cause we know that fraps on PC can decrease the fps count alot.

we know that the PS4 has a secondary chip for background processing and downloading.

I just hope the GPU/CPU performence doesnt gets reduced because of such a feature... would just be stupid

I'm thinking it has a separate built in device for recording, it'll be separate from the PS4's CPU and RAM, but judging from the size of the PS4 I doubt it. sad.gif

josephene123
  • josephene123

No

• Members

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE (gionascm2 @ Thursday, Jul 18 2013, 13:31)
Digital games are cheaper because they don't charge you for tax. So a $59.99 game would normally total $67.79, whereas digitally you save $8. Because of this, buying strictly digital is a lot more feasible, especially during this upcoming gen where all games will be available digitally. Don't forget that there are also price drops; not as generous as Steam, but the prices do fall over time.

Another huge reason to buy strictly digital is for the sake of file-sharing. My friend & I are forming this partnership, where we buy all our games strictly digitally and give each other our download list. This way, we get each others' games for free. I estimate to have ~200 games for my PS4 by the end of the generation, which comes to around $13,000. But with file sharing, I can potentially cut that number in half, saving thousands of dollars.

And that is why I'm making the jump to digital for next gen. There's really no reason to purchase physical copies of PS4 games when you look at these points.

Some people (like me) just prefer to have the disk and the packaging. Almost adds to the excitement of buying a new game. I think I'll do it half and half assuming the pricing is reasonable.

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:06 PM

QUOTE (Erebos @ Thursday, Jul 18 2013, 19:02)
QUOTE (iNero @ Thursday, Jul 18 2013, 16:53)

the question is:

I'm thinking it has a separate built in device for recording, it'll be separate from the PS4's CPU and RAM, but judging from the size of the PS4 I doubt it. sad.gif

it runs over a seperate chip thats almost certain.

the question is if its still affecting the performence. like I said, it would be one of the most stupid descisions every made in console hardware history if the performence of the hardware for games has to be reduced because of such a unimportant feature

Durden
  • Durden

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:19 PM

QUOTE (josephene123 @ Thursday, Jul 18 2013, 13:03)
QUOTE (gionascm2 @ Thursday, Jul 18 2013, 13:31)

Some people (like me) just prefer to have the disk and the packaging. Almost adds to the excitement of buying a new game. I think I'll do it half and half assuming the pricing is reasonable.

On the contrary, the disc & game case create unnecessary clutter. They are more expensive since there's tax. Also, game discs are nothing but liabilities. They can get scratched, lost, stolen, etc... Digital games are very secure. Even if your PS4 breaks, you can get your digital games back on a new PS4.

I can understand your sentiments towards game discs, though - I was like that as a kid. It feels so special eyeing the cover art, reading the back of the case, viewing the manual... But sadly the future is coming. Most manuals these days are already digital.

UtricularEwe001
  • UtricularEwe001

I am a Pirate

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:37 PM

Sony has confirmed that PlayStation 3 wireless headsets will work with the PlayStation 4.

Source

Another reason to buy a PS4 over X1.

Booze
  • Booze

Backlashing with a bullet full of love

• Angels of Death MC
  • Netherlands

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:59 PM

QUOTE (gionascm2 @ Thursday, Jul 18 2013, 15:31)
Digital games are cheaper

No, they're not. Read what Daz posted, they're basically scamming us and they can do that because we are stupid enough to fall for it. I know sharing an account on PSN saves you money, but it's not enough. Plus there's people like me, who don't want to share their account at all.

Durden
  • Durden

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:17 PM

QUOTE (Booze T @ Thursday, Jul 18 2013, 15:59)

No, they're not. Read what Daz posted, they're basically scamming us and they can do that because we are stupid enough to fall for it. I know sharing an account on PSN saves you money, but it's not enough. Plus there's people like me, who don't want to share their account at all.

Digital or not, games are $59.99

But in retail stores, tax raises the total to $67.79

Digital purchases are without tax, so you're saving $7.80 by purchasing digitally.

Booze
  • Booze

Backlashing with a bullet full of love

• Angels of Death MC
  • Netherlands

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:41 PM

The last time I compared prices, I found Gears of War: Judgment on XBL Games on Demand for 70. When I did a quick internet-search, the cheapest physical copy I found was 35 (don't remember if that included shipping, but at that price, what does it matter?). I haven't roamed around on PSN too much, but I saw The Last of Us for 60, while the cheapest physical copy I found was 47. The reason these webshops offer lower prices is because they import the copies from countries where they're cheaper (in The Netherlands, where I'm from, they usually import from the UK) due to exchange rates and larger volumes.
The differences might not be that big where you're from, but the fact remains that digital copies could/should be much ceaper because the distribution costs are much lower.

iNero: the PS4 and Xbox One both have hardware h.264 encoders that don't tax the CPU. Think of it as capturing the output of your graphics card with a capture card.

Hiphiphorhay
  • Hiphiphorhay

Rat

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE (JOSEPH X @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 03:06)

It'll be a few years before they bring out a new model I reckon, so it's up to you if you want to wait that long.

im not talking about the slim model. im talking about the 2nd set of regular ps4s that will have the bugs and what not fixed.

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:55 PM

The 2nd generation of PS4 consoles, the "fixed" generation, will most likely come out in less than 10 months from the original PS4 release.

Hvitdverg
  • Hvitdverg

ExTRAZZ

• Members

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE (Zancudo @ Thursday, Jul 18 2013, 20:55)
The 2nd generation of PS4 consoles, the "fixed" generation, will most likely come out in less than 10 months from the original PS4 release.

PS4^2 Slim 4001 model?

NYC PATROL
  • NYC PATROL

"Patrolling and Observing Forums Since 2005"

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:50 PM

QUOTE (Antagonista @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 03:31)

I don't think the PS4 can get any smaller haha tounge.gif

Ughh so tempted to get one this Fall but might wait...

Android
  • Android

For the Colorful

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:00 PM

You never know with today's technology haha.

I'm really hoping that they release special edition consoles (with different colors like white, blue, silver) instead of just the boring black color.

user posted image

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:01 PM

I would love a white one. It looks so good.

Android
  • Android

For the Colorful

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:12 PM

Yeah, a White or Red one will do just fine smile.gif

Billy james
  • Billy james

Boss

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:24 PM

I would like a red PS4, that sh*t look damn fine

Dnero
  • Dnero

Top Dawg

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:08 PM

That gold and silver though inlove.gif

F4L?
  • F4L?

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:16 PM

QUOTE (gionascm2 @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 07:17)
QUOTE (Booze T @ Thursday, Jul 18 2013, 15:59)

Digital or not, games are $59.99

But in retail stores, tax raises the total to $67.79

Digital purchases are without tax, so you're saving $7.80 by purchasing digitally.

Digital games don't have tax? Whaaaat?
Whatever you say man, EA has stated they're increasing the price of their games and ubisoft are following suit, their games on PSN are more expensive than in store here in Australia.

They can get scratched,

Have you tried scratching a Blu Ray?
I'm not saying digital is a bad idea, I'm just saying it's definitely not cheaper on console.

@ Utricular ewe, does that include 3rd party headsets?

@Inere a separate chip would not take extra space, they aren't large.

Sorry for sit post, on mobile in hurry.

Durden
  • Durden

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:26 PM

@Finn4life: Well I don't think they're raising prices here in Canada.

And even if you're right and digital is not cheaper, that's only at first glance. But if you know the right
tricks to exploit the system, you can get tonnes of free digital games, which will save you potentially
thousands of dollars in the long run. This alone makes digital much superior to physical copies.

F4L?
  • F4L?

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:54 AM

QUOTE (gionascm2 @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 10:26)
@Finn4life: Well I don't think they're raising prices here in Canada.

And even if you're right and digital is not cheaper, that's only at first glance. But if you know the right
tricks to exploit the system, you can get tonnes of free digital games, which will save you potentially
thousands of dollars in the long run. This alone makes digital much superior to physical copies.

Actually that's a good point,I kinda forgot to elaborate on that before as I was hurrying.

Personally I wouldn't do the sharing thing with someone expecting to come out of it winning, most of my friends only game occasionally, the friends I do know who game all the time use PC.

200 games at console prices? Stuff that, this generation I've bought like 15-20 games in total for console, I hardly played most of them either. I don't know where you find the time!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users