Photo

Official PS4 Topic

2,510 replies to this topic
JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• The Yardies

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:58 PM

The benefits of restrictions will never outweigh the costs to publishers, financially and in terms of public relations - as microsoft are going to find out. The problems all started when our game data began appearing online.

Publishers could measure the amount of people who had played the game against the amount of new copies they had sold:

"I can take just one example of Heavy Rain. We basically sold to date approximately two million units, we know from the trophy system that probably more than three million people bought this game and played it. On my small level it's a million people playing my game without giving me one cent. And my calculation is, as Quantic Dream, I lost between 5 and 10 million [Euros] worth of royalties because of second hand gaming."

That was Quantic Dream's co-founder, Guillaume de Fondaumiere's analysis of the cost of used games to his business. To the uncritical eye it would seem that all money lost to used games would go to the publishers.

But if you look at those figures again, there must have been many who returned their copies to generate copies on the used games shelves at retailers. You have to ask how many of the people who bought it new would have bought it at all if they knew they couldn't trade it in? You also have to ask how many would have played the game, had they not been able to get it at a discounted price?

The only logical conclusion is that if you take away the ability to trade games, then a lot of people won't buy your game. You end up damaging yourself and public confidence in buying new games, damaging the industry as a whole.

Personally I find Quantic Dream's games to be as pretentious as the CG actor who plays the dark sorceror in their E3 tech demo. They are nothing more than barely interactive movies, and if you take away the ownership model that allows us to share the works of Kubrick, Dickens or The Beatles, they and other video games could never be considered art.

Flynny
  • Flynny

16 5 5™

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:12 PM

QUOTE (JOSEPH X @ Thursday, Jun 13 2013, 16:58)
But if you look at those figures again, there must have been many who returned their copies to generate copies on the used games shelves at retailers. You have to ask how many of the people who bought it new would have bought it at all if they knew they couldn't trade it in? You also have to ask how many would have played the game, had they not been able to get it at a discounted price?

The only logical conclusion is that if you take away the ability to trade games, then a lot of people won't buy your game. You end up damaging yourself and public confidence in buying new games, damaging the industry as a whole.

BINGO BANJO

If I know i want a game, i buy it early, if I am 50-50 I wait for a price drop to get a used copy, that is how it is, that is how most people are.

that is why these developers piss me off because they are wrong in every assessment they make on used games because they ignore this very vital factor.
For instance if pre-owned games were done away with, i would never have bought an assassins creed title, i don't feel they are worth full price

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE (NateShaw92 @ Thursday, Jun 13 2013, 17:12)
that is why these developers piss me off because they are wrong in every assessment they make on used games because they ignore this very vital factor.
For instance if pre-owned games were done away with, i would never have bought an assassins creed title, i don't feel they are worth full price

So what you're saying is that you've never bought an Assassins Creed game first hand?

Flynny
  • Flynny

16 5 5™

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:21 PM Edited by NateShaw92, 13 June 2013 - 04:26 PM.

QUOTE (Staten @ Thursday, Jun 13 2013, 17:17)

So what you're saying is that you've never bought an Assassins Creed game first hand?

yes, i got Assassins creed 1 like 18 months late - found it dull and repetitive, but interesting and saw potential
AC2 i got for the following xmas - so technically this would be 1st hand, but it was a present so it does not count tounge.gif regardless this is a great game, I do feel this would be worth full price to be honest
brotherhood i got 6-8 months after release
i got revelations a few months ago

not got 3 yet

I just don't feel that Assassins creed is worth £40, which is a normalish price for 1st hand AAA title here, usually more to be honest, but the last AAA title i bought 1st hand was far cry 3 - about £40 or so for standard if i remember right.
I like the games, but I don't feel they meet the valuation that they have 1st hand
and I don't really care about online play, i enjoy the story more than anything.

Why do you ask?

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

This is the hook.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE (NateShaw92 @ Thursday, Jun 13 2013, 16:21)

yes, i got Assassins creed 1 like 18 months late - found it dull and repetitive, but interesting and saw potential
AC2 i got for the following xmas - so technically this would be 1st hand, but it was a present so it does not count tounge.gif regardless this is a great game, I do feel this would be worth full price to be honest

not got 3 yet

I just don't feel that Assassins creed is worth £40, which is a normalish price for 1st hand AAA title here, usually more to be honest, but the last AAA title i bought 1st hand was far cry 3 - about £40 or so for standard if i remember right.
I like the games, but I don't feel they meet the valuation that they have 1st hand
and I don't really care about online play, i enjoy the story more than anything.

Why do you ask?

I agree. I only got the first one at full price. Seemed interesting, I finished it and never touched it again. I only rent them now. Though I bought Revelations. IMO that one was brilliant and deserved the full $60.

gtamad8
  • gtamad8

The Miracle

• Members

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:43 PM

I'm pretty sure this is accurate, I did it all myself on photoshop and they're all sized according to the USB slots. As in all the USB slots on the consoles should be the same size to get the true size (so it isn't resized or anything)

PS3 Slim and PS4 (USB Slot is 20px long on both consoles)(Actual bit where the male goes in is measured, Metal casing around entry point excluded in the measurement)

user posted image

Overall the main PS4 looks smaller than the PS3 slim height width and length wise so god knows how slim the PS4 slim will be (if there needs to be one) technically there doesn't, theres enough processing power to last a generation

The Viperman
  • The Viperman

Peon

• Members

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:43 PM

Good point, if you decide to buy a game some time after the release date, and can only find a used copy, you shouldn't have to go through hoops for that.

Crimson Flam3s
  • Crimson Flam3s

Live Free or Die Trying

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:45 PM

QUOTE (NateShaw92 @ Thursday, Jun 13 2013, 12:21)

not got 3 yet

Why do you ask?

Lots of games are not even worth $60, i don't know why publishers have that mentality of releasing every game at that price. If they released lower profile games cheaper, i bet sales would rise and used games wouldnt be much of a problem.

It's a problem when you have games like cod or fifa coming out every year, it's always the same sh*t with some small changes and some odd hanna montana game costing $60 and then you have games like gta which offers a loooooooot more for the same price.

eerik
  • eerik

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:59 PM

QUOTE (skillz7855 @ Thursday, Jun 13 2013, 15:22)
Does the PS4 have built in WIFI

Of course it does. Just like all the PS3 models did.

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

This is the hook.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:02 PM

QUOTE (eerik @ Thursday, Jun 13 2013, 16:59)

Actually I think some of the early models didn't have it built in.

GTAfan786
  • GTAfan786

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE (Erebos @ Thursday, Jun 13 2013, 17:02)

What? They do dozingoff.gif

I know for a fact that the Slim has it, since I've got the damn console.

Cosmic Gypsy
  • Cosmic Gypsy

It's time for a trip

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:08 PM

https://www.facebook..._t=feed_comment

Jesus Christ the people standing up for the Xbox One on this status are retarded.

Crimson Flam3s
  • Crimson Flam3s

Live Free or Die Trying

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:14 PM

QUOTE (Cosmic Gypsy @ Thursday, Jun 13 2013, 13:08)

Jesus Christ the people standing up for the Xbox One on this status are retarded.

lol These guys can't be serious lol.gif I even felt like jumping in the discussion and kick some xbone ass

Cosmic Gypsy
  • Cosmic Gypsy

It's time for a trip

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:19 PM Edited by Cosmic Gypsy, 13 June 2013 - 05:21 PM.

QUOTE (Crimson Flam3s @ Thursday, Jun 13 2013, 17:14)

lol These guys can't be serious lol.gif I even felt like jumping in the discussion and kick some xbone ass

Mate, please jump in, the owner of the page says he's is going now but will keep the convo up there, jump in with WELL WRITTEN and well thougt out arguements and rape them.

Crimson Flam3s
  • Crimson Flam3s

Live Free or Die Trying

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:29 PM

QUOTE (Cosmic Gypsy @ Thursday, Jun 13 2013, 13:19)
QUOTE (Crimson Flam3s @ Thursday, Jun 13 2013, 17:14)

Mate, please jump in, the owner of the page says he's is going now but will keep the convo up there, jump in with WELL WRITTEN and well thougt out arguements and rape them.

Lol something happened and the discussion is not open anymore. I don't think you can convince those type of people anyways but i did like the page, we need to spread it devil.gif

I think if the only reason you were buying xbox was because you really don't care about used games, you like kinect, halo or some other exclusive games then it's ok but saying that it's superior to ps4 it's nonsence. It's even more expensive and the ps4 specs are significantly better.

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

This is the hook.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:31 PM

QUOTE (GTAfan786 @ Thursday, Jun 13 2013, 17:07)
QUOTE (Erebos @ Thursday, Jun 13 2013, 17:02)

What? They do dozingoff.gif

I know for a fact that the Slim has it, since I've got the damn console.

I was talking about the older 20GB models. biggrin.gif

simonp92
  • simonp92

Whodunit?

• Members

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:40 PM

This is redicilous. I cannot fathom why any sane person would even think about buying the XBOX ONE. Their arguements are usually based upon the current generation. "Microsoft has the better online", "Multiplatform games will look better on the XBOX" etc. Some people also seem to believe that the XBOX ONE is superior in hardware, because it's more expensive. Again we're back in this generation were it was actually true. TPS3 had better specs and thus a much price. This isn't the case with XBOX ONE.

PS. It's kinda hard defending the PS4 seeing as I've always been with SONY, but I can assure you, had SONY been pulling this sh*t and not Microsoft I would be defending the XBOX ONE right now.

EDIT: Also the arguement "Well I'm always online, it won't be problem for me". Just wait, I can see hackers already now lining up trying to take the servers down, because of Microsoft's treatment of their fans.

Flynny
  • Flynny

16 5 5™

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:01 PM

QUOTE (simonp92 @ Thursday, Jun 13 2013, 18:40)
This is redicilous. I cannot fathom why any sane person would even think about buying the XBOX ONE. Their arguements are usually based upon the current generation. "Microsoft has the better online", "Multiplatform games will look better on the XBOX" etc. Some people also seem to believe that the XBOX ONE is superior in hardware, because it's more expensive. Again we're back in this generation were it was actually true. TPS3 had better specs and thus a much price. This isn't the case with XBOX ONE.

well the most common comebacks I have seen from xbox fans now are
1 - PS4 not free online anymore
2 - the controller for xbox is better

that is it, so given that I too cannot fathom why they would go for xbox one, brand loyalty is most likely the reason but dear god this is insane. the playstation 4 beats the xbox one in pretty much every way.
maybe they still think XB1 will be the lead console for developers so their versions of multi-platform games will be marginally 'better' or maybe they can't live without their precious Halo

PS. It's kinda hard defending the PS4 seeing as I've always been with SONY, but I can assure you, had SONY been pulling this sh*t and not Microsoft I would be defending the XBOX ONE right now.

I said the same thing, if roles were reversed I would say ''sayonara'' to sony.

EDIT: Also the arguement "Well I'm always online, it won't be problem for me". Just wait, I can see hackers already now lining up trying to take the servers down, because of Microsoft's treatment of their fans.

I see anonymous doing this, especially with the 21 countries thing, which is the single dumbest idea I have heard, including the time when my friend wanted to play chicken with someone else while sky-diving, trying to pull the cord last. this is even more suicidal and idiotic, and funny.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:10 PM

I see that some people don't like the PS4 design. I think it's awesome. I really dig it. It looks minimalistic and sturdy. It looks powerful. And the fact that it's so small is a huge plus in my book. I'm in love with it.

dontdieb4september
  • dontdieb4september

Trick

• Members

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:23 PM

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Thursday, Jun 13 2013, 18:10)
I see that some people don't like the PS4 design. I think it's awesome. I really dig it. It looks minimalistic and sturdy. It looks powerful. And the fact that it's so small is a huge plus in my book. I'm in love with it.

The size and design never really mattered to me, I could lock it away and never look at it for all i care as long as the gaming experience is simple and fun.

Happyness
  • Happyness

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:07 PM Edited by Happyness, 13 June 2013 - 07:13 PM.

Jesus Christ I really want to get a PS4... But I also want a PC, why do I have to be so short on money? sad.gif

f*ck that sh*t. I am getting a PS4, I can get a PC later. lol.gif The PC can wait, The Division can't.

Sooo... Who's up for a future crew?

Crimson Flam3s
  • Crimson Flam3s

Live Free or Die Trying

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:10 PM

QUOTE (Happyness @ Thursday, Jun 13 2013, 15:07)
Jesus Christ I really want to get a PS4... But I also want a PC, why do I have to be so short on money? sad.gif

Get the ps4, for what it costs, you are getting a lot more than you will for a pc priced the same.

dontdieb4september
  • dontdieb4september

Trick

• Members

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE (Happyness @ Thursday, Jun 13 2013, 19:07)

f*ck that sh*t. I am getting a PS4, I can get a PC later. lol.gif The PC can wait, The Division can't.

For the Division you gotta choose PS4 insted of PC..

I decided for A PS4 (Instead of pc) also once they announced the not always online/used games etc etc the other day.

Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

PS4 and a nice big new tv for the win.

vwnut13
  • vwnut13

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:19 PM

The fact that sony can sell PS+ memberships now is all we need to know.

People spend $60 a year for Xbox live so they can play online and use internet services.

People spend $50 a year for PS+ so they can get free games, automatic updates, store discounts, full game trials, and more.

If people spend $50 a year when you already get the the key features of Xbox Live for Free with PSN, there must be some value there.

Sure, I don't like the idea of paying to play online, but look at what you get. Plus, PS+ will work with your Vita, PS3, and PS4 for one cost.

Happyness
  • Happyness

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE (dontdieb4september @ Thursday, Jun 13 2013, 22:18)

I decided for A PS4 (Instead of pc) also once they announced the not always online/used games etc etc the other day.

I swear the only reason that I want to get a PS4 isntead of a PC is because of its exclusives and The Divison, that sh*t is TOO EPIC to miss it out. I'm sorry Steam, you gotta' wait a bit longer!

dontdieb4september
  • dontdieb4september

Trick

• Members

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE (Happyness @ Thursday, Jun 13 2013, 19:20)
QUOTE (dontdieb4september @ Thursday, Jun 13 2013, 22:18)

I swear the only reason that I want to get a PS4 isntead of a PC is because of its exclusives and The Divison, that sh*t is TOO EPIC to miss it out. I'm sorry Steam, you gotta' wait a bit longer!

I was gaming on pc for the last 6 or 7 years.. Then i GOT A PS3.. Got rid of the gaming pc and bought a dcent laptop for my internet/music etc etc and the PS3 for gaming. It just allows you to relax more I think, The graphics are obviously a step down but with the new console they will be nice enough not to worry. Plus you can take it wherever you want or move around the house with no hassel.. hard to lug a pc everywhere lol.

But yeah games like The division and the fact Sony arent screwing us over like MS made me go for PS4.. Saves me funding those c*nts microsoft windows 8 sale with a new pc.

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

This is the hook.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:30 PM

I'm down for a future crew, only if we play like in the trailer though. colgate.gif

Happyness
  • Happyness

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:46 PM

QUOTE (Erebos @ Thursday, Jun 13 2013, 22:30)
I'm down for a future crew, only if we play like in the trailer though. colgate.gif

It's not like I would go and scream around like a 12 years old, and well.. I am almost 20, so yep..

UtricularEwe001
  • UtricularEwe001

I am a Pirate

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:31 PM

For the people who are worried about the "paywall" (PS+):

QUOTE (Playstation Blog)
Instant game collection:
Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception Single Player Mode (PS3)
XCOM: Enemy Unknown (PS3)
LittleBigPlanet Karting (PS3)
Machinarium (PS3)

Discounts
1 Year Music Unlimited Premium Subscription – PS Plus Price: $41.99
DISHONORED – PS Plus Price: $21.59
Tomb Raider – PS Plus Price: $20.24
Call of Duty Black Ops II – PS Plus Price: $37.79
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance – PS Plus Price: $29.99
Resident Evil 6 – PS Plus Price: $17.99
PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale – PS Plus Price: $14.00
NBA 2K13 – PS Plus Price: $29.39
FIFA Soccer 13 – PS Plus Price: $29.39
Far Cry 3 – PS Plus Price: $29.39
Borderlands 2 – PS Plus Price: $19.59
Assassin’s Creed III – PS Plus Price: $19.59
Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two – PS Plus Price: $19.59
Assassin’s Creed® III Liberation – PS Plus Price: $13.29
SOUND SHAPES – PS Plus Price: $3.75
SOUND SHAPES VITA – PS Plus Price: $3.75
Quantum Conundrum – PS Plus Price: $3.75
Guardians of Middle-Earth– PS Plus Price: $3.75
The Unfinished Swan – PS Plus Price: $3.75
HELL YEAH! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit – PS Plus Price: $3.75
The Walking Dead – Season Pass – PS Plus Price: $5.00
Dishonored: Dunwall City Trials – PS Plus Price: $2.79
Dishonored: The Knife of Dunwall – PS Plus Price: $5.59
Dishonored: Void Walker’s Arsenal – PS Plus Price: $2.23

http://blog.us.plays...ore-update-295/

List of Complimentary games for US PS +:

http://www.reddit.co...aystation_plus/

QUOTE (DigitalOp)
HOW TO SURVIVE PS+ FOR ONLINE PLAY

- Sony often has "Buy a year, Get 3 months free" deals regarding PS+, This is the BEST time to stock up on subs and take advantage of the deal. Make sure you purchase your sub under PSN though.

-Sony also has "Spend $50/$60, Get $10/$20 next month deals as well. PS+ subs also count under this period. Make sure you purchase your sub under PSN though.

-Download all free titles that are offered to you!! Hey, you paid for them right?? wink.gif You never know what you may be in the mood for to play and they will always be available to you if you ever resub after letting it expire!

-Backing up your saves is a great way to help upgrade you PS3/PS4 harddrive. Redownload and you're good to go!

-Be vigilant for online retailers or stores who may offer sales on PS+ Sub cards.

-The best way to set yourself up is to "buy and forget". Whenever the deal pops up and I got cash, I buy it and redeem. Before you know it, your sub won't expire till 2019! lol

-If cash gets tight, there's nothing wrong with a 3 month sub. That's how I started PS+ and its the best investment to try out the service at $18. Don't try to rack up on these though... you'll end up spending more than the flat year sub at $50!!

Happy Gaming! Welcome to Playstation!

Credit goes to Gaf member Cornbread78!

This is why PS+ is much better than Xbox Live biggrin.gif

Original Light
  • Original Light

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:36 PM

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to get a PS4. But will Sony release a package that includes both the PS4 and Vita at decent price?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users