Official PS4 Topic

3,229 replies to this topic
kipakolonyasi
  • kipakolonyasi

Homeboy

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

get a monitor you casual f*cks. besides monitors show games better than tv's. but my experience is from ps3 i don't know about ps4.

xtro2000
  • xtro2000

Don't worry be happy

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

funny story... i put my ps4 in 720p today and it both looks and runs better than 1080p

What kind of tv or monitor are you running?

Some on this forum believe that a 720p tv is just as good as a 1080p one. Also, some think a 60 hrtz. refresh rate TV is just as good as 120 hrtz. or 240 hrtz. refresh rate TV. We'll just let them play in the sand quietly. They will get through the day. LOL

according to someone i know that works at game stop

PS4's RGB settings are faulted. So you might want to double check your TV / PS4

The fault : The PS4 sets it's RGB setting to AUTOMATIC. They even recommend this setting. Problem is the PS4 isn't properly communicating with your TV like you'd expect it should through HDMI. For example, I verified this with my own BenQ monitor. My display is clearly set to full, and the ps4 is set to automatic, but apparently the PS4's 'automatic' setting is assuming limited. The problem only fixes itself when I have to manually put the PS4 to output at full. The PS4 doesn't do this automatically. Which is stupid. EDIT It seems it depends on the TV model. It's problematic for some but okay for others.

Ether way, Sony should look into this, and you - should just assume the worst and set it up manually.

If you notice that often times you have to lower the games in-game brightness settings really low in order to achieve whatever the game is asking (usually : lower brightness until said object is no longer visible) than likely your RGB setting is off. Or, if you feel that dark areas in games are just too damn dark, like looking into a black hole of darkness - we call this crushed blacks. Your settings may also be off. Please look at the end of this post for descriptions on what settings between your PS4 and TV cause what problems.

*** What to do ***
- Under settings -> sound and screen -> your ps4 RGB output is at automatic. You want to either change it to limited or full, to match whatever your TV is set at. So - check your TV's option menu to see what it's RGB levels are, if you can - set it to FULL, or HIGH. Then, go under sound and screen in your PS4's settings menu and change it to FULL.

- If your TV only has a LIMITED or LOW setting, or if it doesn't even have an option for this at all (probably an older TV) then assume limited, and set the PS4 to LIMITED. As a rule of thumb, it seems MOST PC monitors are set to RGB FULL, thus your PS4 should be set to RGB FULL.

The above steps are for ideal conditions. Some TV's call the RGB color range different things, so if you need help post it in here and I'm sure others with similar model TV's can help.

Important, since all TV's label it differently, but all these terms mean the same thing, observe:
Full : High/Normal : Wide : RGB 0-255 = all equate to Full RGB setting on PS4
Limited : Low : Narrow : RGB 16-235 = all equate to Limited RGB setting on PS4

In summary: Your TV and PS4 need to match. Full to Full. Or Limited to Limited. As others have said, it's not like one is necessarily 'better' than the other. They just have to be the same between devices. And don't trust the PS4's Automatic setting, depending on the type of TV, the PS4 and TV do not necessarily communicate proper RGB color ranges properly. Check your devices manually and make sure they match up.

PS4 Limited + TV Limited = Good
PS4 Full + TV Full = Good
PS4 Full + TV Limited =Crushed Blacks. You'll get a more vibrant image, but don't be fooled, this is not good since games will start being overly dark, especially in darker areas, it'll be near impossible to see.
PS4 Limited + TV Full = Washed out, dull, flat image. Everything seems to over-exposed, and blacks appear "greyish"

Thanks for that! i put TV and PS4 to full... but right now its much more vibrant but a bit too contrasted.. too dark sometimes

Reemer
  • Reemer

Playa

• Members
  • Canada

Posted A week ago Edited by Reemer, A week ago.

Some questions:

Can I put an an external hard drive? 

Is 500GB gonna be enough to support games 5 or 6 years from now? I dont plan on getting to many digital games on the PS4, but im sure ill have a a healthy amount of digital games in 4 or 5 years.

if I were to get a ps4 right now, should I replace the HDD with a bigger one, or should I just wait until I need more space? And what are some recommended ones?

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

I play both sides of the fence

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

Some questions:

Can I put an an external hard drive? 

Is 500GB gonna be enough to support games 5 or 6 years from now? I dont plan on getting to many digital games on the PS4, but im sure ill have a a healthy amount of digital games in 4 or 5 years.

if I were to get a ps4 right now, should I replace the HDD with a bigger one, or should I just wait until I need more space? And what are some recommended ones?

I think the only thing you could use an external HDD for on PS4 is game saves and maybe some other things. No game installs though. You have to get an internal HDD for game installs.

Dbns_Finest
  • Dbns_Finest

Nigerian Prince

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 5 days ago Edited by Dbns_Finest, 5 days ago.

Idk why but my controller's trigger buttons are making these squeaking sounds when I use them. Not a big problem but it gets really annoying sometimes. Anyone else have this problem?

Edit: found a way to fix it. Just blow into the spaces between the triggers. No need to thank me ;)

gta_aus
  • gta_aus

Soldier

• Members

Posted 5 days ago

I've been watching a lot of live streams lately on the Live from Playstation thing and it's pretty cool when I'm bored I just watch some people playing, although nearly all of them are people playing Destiny or FIFA which doesn't interest me. You get the occasional good one. Anyway how can I stream my gameplay like that?

Dbns_Finest
  • Dbns_Finest

Nigerian Prince

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 4 days ago

Pretty simple
-While playing a game, press the share button and select 'Broadcast gameplay"

gta_aus
  • gta_aus

Soldier

• Members

Posted 4 days ago

Wow didn't expect it to be that easy. Cheers.

AiraCobra
  • AiraCobra

ĦĦooɥS ooɥS ǝıqooɥS

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 2 days ago

I don't know why but lately i've been having an issue with my PS4/Controller pausing the game by itself when i never paused it, Or if i have it paused after so long it unpauses itself.

Has anybody else had this issue?

2. My other issue is that i put in Metal Gear Solid 5 in this morning and at first it read it than it spit it out saying the disc was unable to be read or dirty but the disc was as clean as could be.

Is this an issue with PS4 or is something going on with mine?

Dbns_Finest
  • Dbns_Finest

Nigerian Prince

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 2 days ago Edited by Dbns_Finest, 2 days ago.

Yeah, the random ejecting is a known problem. Some people have even reported the ps4 turning on by itself and spitting out the disk. Your ps4 is probably possessed, you should consult an exorcist..

Spoiler

AiraCobra
  • AiraCobra

ĦĦooɥS ooɥS ǝıqooɥS

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted A day ago Edited by AiraCobra, A day ago.

Yeah, the random ejecting is a known problem. Some people have even reported the ps4 turning on by itself and spitting out the disk. Your ps4 is probably possessed, you should consult an exorcist..

Spoiler

& the random pausing? But it only does it with Tomb Raider though.

This is a video from just a few minutes ago the game paused 6 times in less than 2 minutes

Francis44
  • Francis44

WRC!

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 hours ago Edited by Francis44, 23 hours ago.

Spoiler

& the random pausing? But it only does it with Tomb Raider though.

This is a video from just a few minutes ago the game paused 6 times in less than 2 minutes

Is your Options button on the controller ok or is it sticking?!

It might have something to do with the controller or with the game software itself, I doubt it has anything to do with the unit hardware.

I've had a few problems with buttons sticking, especially the R1.

BrownBear
  • BrownBear

Dr. Green Thumb.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 hours ago

f*cking hell, I'm starting to hate my PS4.

The internet is so f*cking terrible, it takes about 10 minutes to get onto PSN and then half the ads are blank, I'm paying Netflix and it takes 20 minutes of loading before it tell me it can't connect, downloads take over a day and they constantly freeze meaning I can't leave it.

Seriously considering selling it and getting a PC.

AiraCobra
  • AiraCobra

ĦĦooɥS ooɥS ǝıqooɥS

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 22 hours ago Edited by AiraCobra, 22 hours ago.

Is your Options button on the controller ok or is it sticking?!

It might have something to do with the controller or with the game software itself, I doubt it has anything to do with the unit hardware.

I've had a few problems with buttons sticking, especially the R1.

I figured out the problem.

There is a voice command option with Tomb Raider that allows you to use the controller mic to made commandos such as "Gun, Rifle, Bow" and i think that ambiance noise from the game and such was causing the mic to pick up noise cuasing it to pause and since i turned that option off i haven't had any issues with it pausing on it's own.

I though it was weird that it only did this with Tomb Raider until the hint menu came up reminding me about the various voice commands

The internet is so f*cking terrible, it takes about 10 minutes to get onto PSN and then half the ads are blank, I'm paying Netflix and it takes 20 minutes of loading before it tell me it can't connect, downloads take over a day and they constantly freeze meaning I can't leave it.

That's not the PS4, That's your internet connection my friend.

I'll bet if you buy a new router all those issues will go away

BrownBear
  • BrownBear

Dr. Green Thumb.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 hours ago

Yeah, I thought it might be. If I moved my router upstairs closer to my PS4 might that help?

AiraCobra
  • AiraCobra

ĦĦooɥS ooɥS ǝıqooɥS

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 22 hours ago

Yeah, I thought it might be. If I moved my router upstairs closer to my PS4 might that help?

That could help if it doesn't than i suggest getting a new router....Do you have an ethernet cord that's long enough?

If you hardwire your internet connection using an enternet cord it'll run even better than on a router

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

I play both sides of the fence

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 hours ago

Does PS4 have a controller update like Xbox One has? Just wondering

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

You need a Pearl necklace? Hit me up ;)

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 hours ago

Does PS4 have a controller update like Xbox One has? Just wondering

Yeah the latest update added a third stick!

As far as I'm aware there's no separate update for it. If there is updates for drivers I assume it is done when you update the ps4 system software.
  • esmittystud101 likes this

LiangHuBBB
  • LiangHuBBB

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 17 hours ago

this month driveclub and dust on ps4 for free <3

Dbns_Finest
  • Dbns_Finest

Nigerian Prince

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 16 hours ago

So October PS+

Driveclub
Dust:an elysian tale
Spelunky

I'm really tired of these indie games now... Thank god for driveclub (even though its basically a glorified demo)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users