» «
Photo

Official PS4 Topic

3,056 replies to this topic
one55
  • one55

Dirty Playstation Peasant!

• Members

Posted A week ago Edited by one55, A week ago.

So how is the console's wireless? It's gonna be a serious pain in the arse for me to connect it via ethernet; there are no phone lines in the room it's going in and the walls are thick and block transmissions (and hard to drill through for a cable, not to mention there's a bathroom between my room and the room with a phone line- great planning there  :rol: ).

I do have a modem directly downstairs and my laptop's wireless works through the floor nicely, but I could never get my PS3's to work; it just confused the living Hell out of me with technical jargon which means nothing to me. I assume if I knew what the F*ck I were doing, it'd work.

How user-friendly and powerful is the PS4's wireless? Is it just enter a command, it finds the signal, and Bob's-Your-Uncle? Or is it a nightmare of numbers, acronyms and other nonsense?

I won't be playing online, I won't get a PS Plus membership. I only need it for the browser, updates for games and to buy and download games on the PS store...

the ps4's wireless is OK. seriously. it's just OK.

i have a 50Mb/s down 3Mb/s up connection. The PS4 on wireless never seems to go over 20Mb/s down (it gets the full 3Mb/s up) and can sometimes be as low as 8Mb/s down!!  It's more than enough for playing games online and downloading patches. Downloading games and some DLC will take a good few hours at least. My ps4 is up 2 flights of stairs from my router. from the same location my laptop can get 54Mb/s down and 3Mb/s up because it can use 5Ghz frequency. The PS4 can only access 2.4Ghz (ridiculous). my router puts out both 2.4/5Ghz frequencies.

I've been using my PS4 fine for the last (almost) 7 months. however, i just recently bought a 20m ethernet cable and nailed it along the bottom of the wall going from the router, up the stairs, and into my bedroom corner where the PS4 is. i get 43Mb/s down and 3Mb/s up now. still not full speed but much better than using wifi. 

visionist
  • visionist

Eat A Peach For Hours

• Members

Posted A week ago

So would it be best to get a powerful range extender which can recieve its signal from an (equally powerful) router downstairs and plug said range extender into the PS4 via ethernet? (If it can even be made to work that way) 

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

I play both sides of the fence

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

How do you figure out what Mb/s your PS4 is running at? I was just curious. I can't check until I get home tonight though.

one55
  • one55

• Members

Posted A week ago Edited by one55, A week ago.

So would it be best to get a powerful range extender which can recieve its signal from an (equally powerful) router downstairs and plug said range extender into the PS4 via ethernet? (If it can even be made to work that way) 

You could try an extender or powerline adapter. I was gonna get a powerline adapter but I'd have no where to plug it into so it was no use. A powerline adapter was about £15 but it was cheaper to just buy a 20m ethernet cable and x100 cable clips to nail it onto the skirting which cost me about £8 all together. you get x2 powerline adapters. you plug one into the router using ethernet cable then one into the ps4 again with ethernet. 

so basically the connection is:

ROUTER > ____ethernet____ > PLA - - - - (wireless)- - - - - - PLA > ____ethernet____ > PS4

instead of the router connecting straight to the ps4 it connects to the adapter which takes the full connection speed and sends it to the other adapter which then sends it to the ps4. 

an extender connection is:

router > - - - - (wireless) - - - > EXTENDER > - - - - (wireless) - - - - > PS4

all that really happens is that it boosts the signal half way.

in order of both price/reliability (low-high)

1. long ethernet 

2. powerline adapter

3. extender

How do you figure out what Mb/s your PS4 is running at? I was just curious. I can't check until I get home tonight though.

go to the settings then go down to network then test connection. it'll connect to the internet, psn etc then give you the speed both down and up. 

• visionist and esmittystud101 like this

JasonAW
  • JasonAW

Smooth Criminal

• Members

Posted A week ago

Bit of a problem here, I got a brand new PS4 back in June and today it has been odd, it has been auto-ejecting discs and earlier when it was on standby it kept beeping like a disc was in there. Any help? I am not a technical person by the way.

one55
  • one55

• Members

Posted A week ago

Bit of a problem here, I got a brand new PS4 back in June and today it has been odd, it has been auto-ejecting discs and earlier when it was on standby it kept beeping like a disc was in there. Any help? I am not a technical person by the way.

Seen people reporting this issue a lot lately. I don't think anyone has been able to fix it and I think your best bet would be to contact Sony for a replacement.

JasonAW
  • JasonAW

Smooth Criminal

• Members

Posted A week ago

It is being fine today and I have had no problem with discs or beeping. Hopefully that was a one off.

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 6 days ago Edited by esmittystud101, 6 days ago.

Okay, so Microsoft is releasing an 1 TB X1. This is really getting me worried. Please Sony, don't bring out a 1 TB PS4, instead, put all your efforts into making external HDD possible. Your console is selling well now the way it is. The X1 I own has 4 TB external storage for $150. If internal HDD beats that price, I might consider getting one. But external is so much easier, just plug in, format, ready to go in less than a minute. No transfers. No worrying if a fast internal HDD will overheat my PS4. The internal HDD have horrible reviews for the most part, not a particular brand, really just accross the board. I shouldn't worry now, I only have Infamous SS, TLOF: Remastered, The Swapper game wise. But for the X1 I had seven games and used over 50% of the 500GB HDD space. Probably more now that I keep downloading free games on Games for Gold. But with external hooked up, my free space is 3.7 TB. I'm pretty sure I'm good on memory wise for it. I just wish Sony would pay more attention to this issue, and act like it means something to them. Event after event this summer and not one word regarding external HDD. Hopefully I missed something at one of the events and someone will point it out for me. Please, give me hope. Is it official that external will never come out for PS4?

edit: The more I look at PS history, I keep seeing that the PS3 never had an external Hdd capability either for game installs. My hopes are crashing down now. Seems like every internal HDD I look at, there is someone always in the reviews or comments that say "Not compatible with PS4" "will not let PS4 boot up correctly". Samsung had a nice 2 TB, but it wouldn't let them boot up the PS4 from a cold start. I guess I will just hold out. I say I have atleast a year. If no external capability, then give me options on 2 TB or highier internal hdd. Sony, get on it.

NYC PATROL
  • NYC PATROL

"Patrolling and Observing Forums Since 2005"

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 6 days ago

Okay, so Microsoft is releasing an 1 TB X1. This is really getting me worried. Please Sony, don't bring out a 1 TB PS4, instead, put all your efforts into making external HDD possible. Your console is selling well now the way it is. The X1 I own has 4 TB external storage for $150. If internal HDD beats that price, I might consider getting one. But external is so much easier, just plug in, format, ready to go in less than a minute. No transfers. No worrying if a fast internal HDD will overheat my PS4. The internal HDD have horrible reviews for the most part, not a particular brand, really just accross the board. I shouldn't worry now, I only have Infamous SS, TLOF: Remastered, The Swapper game wise. But for the X1 I had seven games and used over 50% of the 500GB HDD space. Probably more now that I keep downloading free games on Games for Gold. But with external hooked up, my free space is 3.7 TB. I'm pretty sure I'm good on memory wise for it. I just wish Sony would pay more attention to this issue, and act like it means something to them. Event after event this summer and not one word regarding external HDD. Hopefully I missed something at one of the events and someone will point it out for me. Please, give me hope. Is it official that external will never come out for PS4?

edit: The more I look at PS history, I keep seeing that the PS3 never had an external Hdd capability either for game installs. My hopes are crashing down now. Seems like every internal HDD I look at, there is someone always in the reviews or comments that say "Not compatible with PS4" "will not let PS4 boot up correctly". Samsung had a nice 2 TB, but it wouldn't let them boot up the PS4 from a cold start. I guess I will just hold out. I say I have atleast a year. If no external capability, then give me options on 2 TB or highier internal hdd. Sony, get on it.

From what I've read around the web the 2TB Samsung is fine now since one of the PS4 updates about 3 months ago.

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 6 days ago Edited by esmittystud101, 5 days ago.

From what I've read around the web the 2TB Samsung is fine now since one of the PS4 updates about 3 months ago.

I went ahead and got a Samsung 2 TB. Great reviews and not a bad price. They are selling faster than seller can get them in stock.

http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 days ago Edited by esmittystud101, 4 days ago.

Sorry about the double post, but this topic is really dead this week. Okay, so Surgeon Simulator is really tough if you ask me. I get the whole concept of the game, its not suppossed to be easy. But seems like if I drop anything in a patient, like a scalpel, I can't grab it back. I have tried motion and the right stick controls, they each have there up's and downs. I think once I practice more it will become easier. But I'm stuck on the first procedure which is a heart transplant I think. It was only $10 for PS + which isn't bad. I just don't think I'm going to get in it very much. Its more of a game you want to be playing when your friends stop over and see you. I had one yesturday and he was like "WTF?" LOL

Dbns_Finest
  • Dbns_Finest

Real NIgga Verified

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 4 days ago

The controller dies so quickly, lucky I got two.Also,I hope there's some good games for ps+ next month. Fez and that other game aren't my cup of tea.

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 days ago

The controller does die atleast three to four times as fast as my X1 controller. But I like the PS4 controller more. The light is cool and the speaker.

gta_aus
  • gta_aus

Soldier

• Members

Posted 4 days ago

Anyone else have Pure Pool and keen for a game?

one55
  • one55

• Members

Posted 4 days ago

i actually think the controller battery isn't too bad. i don't play for more than a few hours at a time though and always plug it in when i'm not playing so it never really gets to a low level.

Rebel
  • Rebel

Woop Woop!

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Olympics

Posted 4 days ago

I hate how fast the charge goes down on the controller. I literally just use it to watch Netflix in bed for the best part of the week, and by Friday its down to 1 bar or about to die on me.

Johan
  • Johan

• The Yardies
  • Dominican-Republic

Posted 4 days ago

That's why I play on the PS4 while charging the controller through my laptop, never had any issues 

Sadly I can't do the same on the PS3 because for some reason it doesn't charge on some other place other than the PS3.

D3L3TD
  • D3L3TD

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 4 days ago

The battery life for me isn't too bad, but yeah. It could be much better.

I wonder if that massive light on it is bogging it down a bit. But LEDS don't use up that much energy, do they?

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 4 days ago

If you change the light setting for the controller to 'Dim' then the battery life does last a bit longer.

Dbns_Finest
  • Dbns_Finest

Real NIgga Verified

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 3 days ago

What games do you guys think will be free for PS+ users next month? My predictions:

1. Assassin's Creed:Black Flag/Tomb Raider definitive edition

2. Flower

one55
  • one55

• Members

Posted 3 days ago

What games do you guys think will be free for PS+ users next month? My predictions:

2. Flower

not really sure but out of those games i'd say flower.

maybe assassin's creed. tomb raider was free a while back for PS3. 

poklane
  • poklane

So now what?

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 2 days ago

2. Flower

I doubt they're gonna do Tomb Raider since that already appeared on PS3. I'm still waiting for Knack, Japan already got that game free at the PS4 launch back in February.

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A day ago Edited by esmittystud101, A day ago.

Okay, so today I tracked my HDD on Amazon and they said it should come today. The skinniest flash drive I could find still is really hard to push into the usb in front of the PS4. I think its in all the way but I'm not sure. I hope it works. Now my next question is, I know that I put an update on the PS4 with the flash drive. But I still need to get the other PS4 update 1.75 right? Is there any before 1.75 that I need to get, 1.74, 1.72, 1.71, 1.70, 1.62, 1.61, 1.60, 1.52, 1.51, 1.50 or is 1.75 like all of them combined? Are you confused yet? I am. LOL

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

The fall is FAST and STEEP

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A day ago

Wait, you have to download them in order on the PS4? Shouldn't you just download the newest one?

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A day ago Edited by esmittystud101, A day ago.

That was my question. Can I only download 1.75 and not the rest? Which I'm pretty sure thats what I do. When I got the PS4, 1.75 was the only update I did and it seemed everthing worked like a charm. I'm just worried about the flash drive not fitting in too good. Its really tight, I think its in all the way. It was only $6 at Best Buy for a 16GB. Skinniest one I could find there though. The charge cable goes right in, no problem. I just hope this is the only time I have to use the flash drive, constant use would shorly wear out the USB jack as tight as it is.

Dbns_Finest
  • Dbns_Finest

Real NIgga Verified

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 20 hours ago

Umm, stupid question but where do you speak into while using the mic?

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 hours ago

Umm, stupid question but where do you speak into while using the mic?

I wondered the same thing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users