corvettelover
  • corvettelover

Still D.R.E.

• Members

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

user posted image

System Shock 2 Trailer

Wikipedia Info:

System Shock 2 is an action role-playing survival horror video game for Microsoft Windows. The title was designed by Ken Levine and co-developed by Irrational Games and Looking Glass Studios. Originally intended to be a standalone title, its story was changed during production into a sequel to the 1994 PC game System Shock; the alterations were made when Electronic Arts—who owned the Shock franchise rights—signed on as publisher. System Shock 2 was released on August 11, 1999, in North America.

The game takes place on board a starship in a cyberpunk depiction of 2114. The player assumes the role of a lone soldier trying to stem the outbreak of a genetic infection that has devastated the ship. Like System Shock, gameplay consists of first person shooting and exploration. It also incorporates role-playing system elements, in which the player can develop unique skills and traits, such as hacking and psionic abilities.

System Shock 2 received positive reviews when released, but failed to meet commercial sales expectations. Many critics later determined that the game was highly influential in subsequent game design, particularly on first person shooters, and considered it far ahead of its time. It has been included in several "greatest games of all time" lists. In 2006, Computer and Video Games reported that System Shock 3 may be under development, but conclusive details have not surfaced about its project's status. In 2007, Irrational Games released a self-proclaimed spiritual successor to the System Shock series, entitled BioShock, to critical acclaim and strong sales.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, I am somewhat surprised there is no existing topic for these games, so I have created one.

System Shock 2 has been re-released on GoG for $9.99, with full widescreen support and other goodies, running great on my pc.

GoG Link To System Shock 2

Here you can get the first game (abandonware? if not allowed I will remove)

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

Muslim

• Members

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

There's something about it related to Bioshock but I can't remember what. confused.gif

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

Are you surprised that there is no topic if the newest instalment came out in 1999?

System Shocks are one of my favourites games in second part is one of the greatest games I've ever played. I've even completed it no long than half of year ago. I'm still hoping that someone will ressurect the series and make game even better than first two. SS2 ending was perfect though and third part may simply ruin it. So either make perfect game with SHODAN (with Teri and Eric Brosius in the production team) or let us have only these two.

corvettelover
  • corvettelover

Still D.R.E.

• Members

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:16 PM Edited by corvettelover, 18 February 2013 - 07:21 PM.

QUOTE (Tycek @ Monday, Feb 18 2013, 19:11)
Are you surprised that there is no topic if the newest instalment came out in 1999?

System Shocks are one of my favourites games in second part is one of the greatest games I've ever played. I've even completed it no long than half of year ago. I'm still hoping that someone will ressurect the series and make game even better than first two. SS2 ending was perfect though and third part may simply ruin it. So either make perfect game with SHODAN (with Teri and Eric Brosius in the production team) or let us have only these two.

Well, I was surprised since it (atleast the second one, haven't tried the first one) is such a good game, and it seems I am definantly not in the minority on thinking that.

Last time other than last night after getting it off GOG I played it was a year or two ago, on an ancient laptop (intel pentium 3, 384ram with a intel i810) and got half way through and then the laptop crashed.

I honestly don't get all the comparisons to Bioshock, I don't really see much resemblance tbh. Actually excited to play it again, and I have been getting away from playing video games period, bought a bunch from Amazon during the sale but didn't really play them, I usually find myself working on my car or something else during my "me" time.

But it seems that this game, and the Thief series are the only games anymore that actually get my attention and have me going back and playing them again, and again (although after a year+ break from them)

EDIT: Wait, there is Co-Op? (says it on the GOG page) Never knew that lol.

jamieleng
  • jamieleng

Chafing the Chimp is totally natural behaviour!

• Members
  • England

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE (theomenofficial @ Monday, Feb 18 2013, 19:03)
There's something about it related to Bioshock but I can't remember what. confused.gif

Yeah, we'll probably see a new 'System Shock' game when people start getting 'Bioshock Fatigue'. Although I can't see that happening anytime soon.

AH64Hunter
  • AH64Hunter

Forking and dongles

• Members

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE (jamieleng @ Monday, Feb 18 2013, 19:20)

Yeah, we'll probably see a new 'System Shock' game when people start getting 'Bioshock Fatigue'. Although I can't see that happening anytime soon.

It appears you don't know who owns the rights to System Shock .

jamieleng
  • jamieleng

Chafing the Chimp is totally natural behaviour!

• Members
  • England

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE (AH64Hunter @ Monday, Feb 18 2013, 19:26)
QUOTE (jamieleng @ Monday, Feb 18 2013, 19:20)

It appears you don't know who owns the rights to System Shock .

Seeing as Bio was a spiritual successor to System, I just assumed. You know what they say about assumptions. blush.gif

Whoever owns the rights needs to make use them then.

Supreme.
  • Supreme.

• Members

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:30 PM Edited by Supreme., 21 February 2013 - 08:26 PM.

Just reposting mine from PC gamers thread:

So the community voting worked. System Shock 2 is so much better than BioShock or Dead Space. The atmosphere/mood is uncannily superb and the gameplay superior. I only first played it in 2007 after BioShock and it easily earned a spot on my ATG games list.

It uses the Dark Engine as Thief 1 & 2 and shares aspects with Deus Ex. In fact a lot of people consider it better than Deus Ex, which I agree with in ways but not overall due to other obviously incomparable differences, really love both. If you like the sound of a rich, cyberpunk, survival-horror, RPG/FPS hybrid (that's a mouthful tounge.gif ), you owe it to yourself to try SS2.

Upon first go I'd recommend choosing normal difficulty, Navy as career, and perhaps ignore 'Psy' abilities in favor of the standard stuff. Despite being unrealistic, I enjoy the weapon degradation and enemy re-spawning as they enhance the survival aspect I love, but I've heard there's ways to modify them if you so desire, just look/ask on the below site or here: http://www.ttlg.com/...isplay.php?f=78.

Mod guide: http://www.systemsho...hp?topic=4447.0

Applying SS2Tool beforehand is recommended for updates over the bits GOG included: http://www.systemsho...hp?topic=4141.0

Here's some screens I took last year of my modded game, but I've seen better looking ones with stuff that's since been added, such as that 2.4 patch, the hi-res space and environment textures, or that 'Goo' mod..... "babies must rest"... alien.gif

~~~

Can't comment on the first game as I haven't got around to playing it yet...don't hit me! ph34r.gif Will one of these days and I'm sure I'll like it as dated graphics don't bother me at all and the mechanics seem at least tolerable. Speaking of which, I also need to play Wasteland before the new one comes out... As you may have guessed, I only switched to PC gaming in '07 and am still catching up with the classics.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:08 PM

Thanks for the links Supreme. I will have to look at then when I got the time, but I have to say that game looks strange with this modified enemies or weapons.

Supreme.
  • Supreme.

• Members

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:46 PM Edited by Supreme., 21 February 2013 - 08:25 PM.

Heh, yeah. Reminds me of that one midwife model in the Rebirth mod looked stupid instead of scary, but I'm sure they've since sorted that.

Soon as I'm finished with my current game I'm gonna buy the GOG version and fire up this again...itchin' to try the new stuff. Think I'll go with Impossible difficulty this time ph34r.gif blush.gif

corvettelover
  • corvettelover

Still D.R.E.

• Members

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

Thanks x2.

Installed the SSTool 5.0 or whatever its called over the GoG version and it worked great, only lost my settings. Did it fix anything big or just a good idea to update it?

Anyone else notice that AA seems to be forced on the GoG version of System Shock 2?

Supreme.
  • Supreme.

• Members

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:15 PM Edited by Supreme., 10 March 2013 - 06:48 AM.

Screens of my recent play: http://www.gtaforums...st&p=1062282370

Thought Impossible Difficulty would be much more brutal judging by comments I've read elsewhere; one person joked that it warrants a certificate in Resource Management tounge.gif To be fair tho, I did go Navy and tend to take my sweet time being very careful with resources/strategy in almost any game I play yawn.gif

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:33 PM

Despite the mods really making the game nicer I can't see myself playing that version. I think I'll stay with the original graphics from '99 as they seem to make the biggest impact on me. I will have to completed for another time someday, maybe again as marine?

Supreme.
  • Supreme.

• Members

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:47 PM Edited by Supreme., 10 March 2013 - 05:31 AM.

^Understandable; could mar original impressions, nostalgia. Did vanilla on my very first run, but again that was only '07 and altho dated graphics don't bother me I do enjoy the sprucing up those mods provide.

Next year I'll play Marine, and some day I'll finally go for pure Psi...on Impossible cry.gif tounge.gif

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:05 PM Edited by Tycek, 13 April 2013 - 09:05 PM.

Pure PSI will be hard as hell. I was playing mixed PSI with Navy and it was very pleasent walkthrough.

I've just completed game for the another time. Damn, it's so f*cking great, I could play it over and over. This time I've completed it on hard as a marine. The one minus is the time, after 10-11 hours the game is ending and with some perfectly created atmosphere and world it should last at least 50 hours. I'll guess it's time for the impossible now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users