Where Is Liberty City?

15 replies to this topic
universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Rumpy Bumps

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

We all know that it's in the northeastern part of the United States, but which state specifically? I'm thinking Pennsylvania, assuming that Carcer City is based on Pittsburgh and that Carcer and Liberty are "nearby" eachother.

Criѕtian
  • Criѕtian

2K14

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

I don't know if it's supposed to be in any state. Liberty City is mostly based off New York it seems, but it borrows things from other cities as well.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Rumpy Bumps

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE (_____ @ Saturday, Feb 16 2013, 10:16)
Liberty City is mostly based off New York it seems, but it borrows things from other cities as well.

Yeah, that was what I was thinking. I didn't see much resemblance to New York in it.

Criѕtian
  • Criѕtian

2K14

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

There are some obvious New York landmarks in the game such as Times Square, the Empire State and Flatiron buildings, Central Park etc.

MarshDanni
  • MarshDanni

The Godfather

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

Yeah there's no question about it. It's based on New York City

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Rumpy Bumps

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:05 PM

QUOTE (MarshDanni @ Saturday, Feb 16 2013, 14:54)

It doesn't seem that way to me. To me, it feels like some generic North American city.

Linc.
  • Linc.

Betty, don't start up with your white zone sh*t again.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:28 PM

It is a generic North-East US city. They took certain elements from different cities, including New York City, Boston, Chicago and other areas of New England.

It's is not based on one city but is rather a re-creation of what one would typically think of when imagining cities in that part of the world. smile.gif

Flynny
  • Flynny

Where is Jessica Hyde?

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:29 PM

QUOTE (universetwisters @ Saturday, Feb 16 2013, 23:05)
QUOTE (MarshDanni @ Saturday, Feb 16 2013, 14:54)

It doesn't seem that way to me. To me, it feels like some generic North American city.

QUOTE (gta wikia)
Liberty City is loosely based on New York City, but includes elements of other American cities such as Los Angeles, Chicago, Detroit, among others

Criѕtian
  • Criѕtian

2K14

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:04 AM

^ I seriously recommend that you do not quote gtawiki as if all their info was factual. Do your own research on the games instead.

Liberty City is mostly based on New York. There are plenty of NYC landmarks in the game, more than of any other city I think.

Linc.
  • Linc.

Betty, don't start up with your white zone sh*t again.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

^ Does not mean it's based on it. It takes elements from NYC and many other cities.

LifeWithScissors
  • LifeWithScissors

Veni Vidi Vici

• Members

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:43 PM

Liberty City is based of different cities like Staunton Island is like New York, Shoreside Vale is like New Jersey kindalike or Portland Island is based of some sort of New York industrial part. It's like few different cities in 1.

UncleD
  • UncleD

Don't worry guys, soon the wait will be all Ogre

• Members

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

GTA 3 was in development before 9/11 took place. And even before 9/11 took place, the twin towers were never actually going to be in the game. Closest thing to it is
http://gta.wikia.com..._Union_building

Also the so-called empire state building in GTA 3 is more like the Chrysler Tower, but even still only slightly resembles either.

And I re-call an interview with on of the Housers saying it was mainly based off Boston but I can't find that anywhere.

Bottom-line is we'll never know for sure. But the best bet would be around Delaware or New Jersey.

Its also noteable that Liberty City in IV is basically New York, its not just based on it, its literally New York tounge.gif

Criѕtian
  • Criѕtian

2K14

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE (UncleD @ Tuesday, Feb 19 2013, 18:19)
Also the so-called empire state building in GTA 3 is more like the Chrysler Tower, but even still only slightly resembles either.

It's the Empire State building. Game files confirm it:

user posted image

R* developers refer to buildings by the name of their real life counterparts in the files throughout most GTA games.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Goodfella

• Australia
  • Best Member in an Official Group 2012

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:11 AM

When I first played GTA III I always thought it was a direct parody of NYC. I know it has elements of other American cities, but to a foreigner the NYC influence would be the most noticeable.

THE HERO
  • THE HERO

/* no comment */

• Members

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

At least it is set in the southern hemisphere since the sun shines in the north.

Criѕtian
  • Criѕtian

2K14

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

^ You would have to know what season the game is set in. The sun doesn't rise from the same place all the time (in real life).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users