» «
Photo

so what's new?

18 replies to this topic
Shampson360
  • Shampson360

• Members

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:07 PM

You guys said maintence and hardware. So what's new?

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

The hardware.

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

dat was mad tekkers bruh

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

QUOTE (Shampson360 @ Thursday, Feb 14 2013, 20:07)
You guys said maintence and hardware. So what's new?

You said it yourself. Hardware, not software. There's no new features, just a better site performance overall.

GTAgamersquirrel
  • GTAgamersquirrel

#TeamTrevor

• Members

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:14 PM

Also, the baby face is gone! biggrin.gif

copperrobber
  • copperrobber

My idol is Sam Houser

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

the server moved the North America i think ?

Adriaan
  • Adriaan

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:18 PM

Yes, there's been a few changes and the location of the servers have also moved across the Atlantic to North America - where most of our visitors come from. This should theoretically also increase the performance in South America where there's been large growth in members from those countries such as from Brazil.

This is the best move for all as the latency from Europe (where it was hosted previously) should hardly visibly change at all.

As for new software, you never know what might happen in a few weeks or so wink.gif.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

Is anyone else only able to access the forum via a proxy?
I'm doing it right now, because every time I try to use Chrome, it simply won't connect with GTAForums.

Waddy
  • Waddy

Gods foster son.

• None

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE (Typhus @ Thursday, Feb 14 2013, 20:21)
I'm doing it right now, because every time I try to use Chrome, it simply won't connect with GTAForums.

Its fine, I've fixed it!!

Adriaan
  • Adriaan

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

QUOTE (Typhus @ Thursday, Feb 14 2013, 22:21)

As the DNS have changed, it may take a while for the new changes to fully propagate around the world. I think this may be a local issue on your end, though.

If you're on Windows, try this:

1.) Completely close Chrome

2.) Open Command Prompt from under "Accessories". However, instead of the usual way, right click and press "Run as Administrator".

3.) When it opens, type in: ipconfig -flushdns

4.) Press enter.

5.) Open Chrome, and see if it works then. You can also try another browser that you usually don't use (Firefox/IE) and see if it works there. This usually also helps with refreshing your local DNS cache.

If you're on Mac, replace steps 2 and 3 with this: http://www.hongkiat....ac-osx-leopard/

Alternatively, try a reboot. This tip isn't for everyone, eventually things should just work automatically for everyone once they rebooted.

Johnny Playert
  • Johnny Playert

BIGGOS_010

• The Yardies
  • Netherlands

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:46 PM

So, not to sound like a pompous prick, but why don't you guys just announce these things beforehand? The site has been down for more than a day.

Or did i just miss the announcement?

UltraGizmo64
  • UltraGizmo64

Ultra_Gizmo_64

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE (Waddy @ Thursday, Feb 14 2013, 20:23)
QUOTE (Typhus @ Thursday, Feb 14 2013, 20:21)

Its fine, I've fixed it!!

user warned for trolling

lmao, that's a good one.

Stromae
  • Stromae

Mi Na Badman

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE (Johnny Playert @ Thursday, Feb 14 2013, 21:46)
So, not to sound like a pompous prick, but why don't you guys just announce these things beforehand? The site has been down for more than a day.

Well, we members don't know anything about what's going to happen, until it actually happens.

Johnny Playert
  • Johnny Playert

BIGGOS_010

• The Yardies
  • Netherlands

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:56 PM

QUOTE (ThaBoY @ Thursday, Feb 14 2013, 21:52)

Well, we members don't know anything about what's going to happen, until it actually happens.

Yeah, that's kinda the point i was making.

Adriaan
  • Adriaan

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

We didn't know there would be a downtime, and therefore we didn't pre-announce it.

Don't want to bore with the details, but Tank was doing some much-needed software upgrades and maintenance on Wednesday. When he tried to do a reboot, there were some issues. It took a while to find the gremlin that was causing the issue. We didn't foresee this and therefore we didn't plan on announcing any downtimes beforehand.

We tried our best by keeping everyone updated on our social feeds on Facebook and Twitter.

Today, during this downtime, Tank decided to do something he's been planning to do for a while which was to move the servers over to North America. It was only after the new sever was setup that he managed to find what was causing the issue anyway - so a blessing in disguise in that it allowed us to move the servers over without any extra downtime in the future.

But again, in the future, do take a look at our social feeds as we try and provide you with the latest when these things happen - which is very rare anyway.

Xcommunicated
  • Xcommunicated

Say hi to your mom for me.

• United-States

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE (Johnny Playert @ Thursday, Feb 14 2013, 15:56)
QUOTE (ThaBoY @ Thursday, Feb 14 2013, 21:52)

Yeah, that's kinda the point i was making.

It wasn't planned. A routine software update on the server caused a problem which led to Tank having to reinstall everything. During the downtime, they decided to move everything to a new server which was something they had planned to do eventually anyways.

As a result of all this, GTA Garage is down for the time being.

Edit - what Adriaan said.

Johnny Playert
  • Johnny Playert

BIGGOS_010

• The Yardies
  • Netherlands

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:23 PM

Oh okay, thanks for explaining smile.gif

TheHippyJesus
  • TheHippyJesus

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:16 PM

QUOTE (Adriaan @ Thursday, Feb 14 2013, 21:18)
Yes, there's been a few changes and the location of the servers have also moved across the Atlantic to North America - where most of our visitors come from. This should theoretically also increase the performance in South America where there's been large growth in members from those countries such as from Brazil.

This is the best move for all as the latency from Europe (where it was hosted previously) should hardly visibly change at all.

As for new software, you never know what might happen in a few weeks or so wink.gif.

What's happening In a few weeks?

Kifflom112
  • Kifflom112

I like to spam

• Members

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:28 AM Edited by Kifflom112, 15 February 2013 - 12:37 AM.

QUOTE (Johnny Playert @ Thursday, Feb 14 2013, 14:46)

I was annoyed at first. It was 7:40something am and I was trying to click on my user profile at the top of the page, but accidentally clicked log out. As soon as I did 'Website unavailable'
I was like, "Wha-what's happenin'?"

Come to think of it, this downtime wasn't that bad compated to Simtroplis server issues back in 2010-2011. That site had major issues. Every month had at LEAST one day of down time and it always had these random 'outages'. Glad they fixed it...

Linc.
  • Linc.

Seeking and Destroying since 1997...

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:31 AM

QUOTE (John Cheese @ Friday, Feb 15 2013, 08:16)
What's happening In a few weeks?

I believe that GTANet V1.5 is expected to arrive in the next few weeks or months as hinted by Xcommunicated in a previous thread.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users