Photo

idea for a new rockstar game

45 replies to this topic
OurJud
  • OurJud

Playa

• Members

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:22 PM

The only GTA I want to see is one done in first-person... with dedicated no HUD servers... using the Arma engine, whatever that might be.

So you want GTA. But not GTA,

No, I want GTA but in first-person. Is it really that difficult to understand?

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

The fall is FAST and STEEP

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:37 PM

In other words not GTA.

OurJud
  • OurJud

Playa

• Members

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:27 PM

In other words not GTA.

No. I mean GTA but in first-person.

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

The fall is FAST and STEEP

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:21 PM

So not GTA. Sounds to me like Far Cry. :p

OurJud
  • OurJud

Playa

• Members

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:23 AM

OK, OK :)

Seriously, the only way I'm going to get the game I want is to make it myself.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:43 AM

So you're asking for a first-person crime sandbox game, no?

I'm sure that would play like either Arma or Far Cry.

OurJud
  • OurJud

Playa

• Members

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:58 PM Edited by OurJud, 24 February 2014 - 07:00 PM.

Yes, a FP sandbox crime game.

I don't especially want to dwell on this, but all joking aside why is GTA in first-person such a difficult thing for people to imagine? There's even a PC mod for it, so enough people out there must agree it's a good idea.

I don't see how or why GTA in first-person is going to be more like Far Cry or Arma than, uum, GTA in first-person.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:14 PM

Yes, a FP sandbox crime game.

I don't especially want to dwell on this, but all joking aside why is GTA in first-person such a difficult thing for people to imagine? There's even a PC mod for it, so enough people out there must agree it's a good idea.

I don't see how or why GTA in first-person is going to be more like Far Cry or Arma than, uum, GTA in first-person.

Because one of the key points in GTA is that you play as a criminal, whereas in FPS games, you establish yourself as the protagonist because you see the world through their eyes, whereas in a game like GTA, you see the world as how whoever the protagonist need be sees it.

Can a first person GTA work, or any sandbox crime game work for that matter? Possibly. Are we ready for it? Nope.

OurJud
  • OurJud

Playa

• Members

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:04 AM Edited by OurJud, 25 February 2014 - 01:10 AM.

Can a first person GTA work, or any sandbox crime game work for that matter? Possibly. Are we ready for it? Nope.

Not ready for a FP, open-world crime game?? I'd wager there are millions who'd disagree.

You might have explained your reasoning, but I still fail to see why you think the fact that you're playing as a criminal means it wouldn't work in FP :dontgetit:

People like to play as criminals - GTA is proof of that - so why do you think they wouldn't enjoy it just as much through their own eyes, so to speak? Do you seriously believe people would face moral dilemmas when it comes to shooting innocent bystanders just because it's in FP?

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:48 AM

Not ready for a FP, open-world crime game?? I'd wager there are millions who'd disagree.

If "millions" are ready for a FP sandbox crime game, then why hasn't any developers made it? For the most part, the only first person genre developers are any good at are, unfortunately, shooters like Call of Duty clones. 

Not to mention that driving in a first person game is nothing like driving in real life. I'd much rather drive from a third person angle as opposed to a first person one.

OurJud
  • OurJud

Playa

• Members

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:44 AM Edited by OurJud, 25 February 2014 - 02:46 AM.

Not to mention that driving in a first person game is nothing like driving in real life. I'd much rather drive from a third person angle as opposed to a first person one.

But that's only your preference and it doesn't really make sense anyway. If you prefer to drive in third-person you obviously have no interest in simulating reality, so why does it matter to you that driving in first-person is not realistic?

The sheer number of FPS being produced, not to mention driving/racing games that include a cockpit view, is testament to the fact that the FP perspective is becoming ever more popular. Just head over to youtube and search for 'horror survival games PS4' and take a look at how many of those are done in FP. You'll find it's far more than are being made in TP.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:10 AM

But that's only your preference and it doesn't really make sense anyway. If you prefer to drive in third-person you obviously have no interest in simulating reality, so why does it matter to you that driving in first-person is not realistic?

The sheer number of FPS being produced, not to mention driving/racing games that include a cockpit view, is testament to the fact that the FP perspective is becoming ever more popular. Just head over to youtube and search for 'horror survival games PS4' and take a look at how many of those are done in FP. You'll find it's far more than are being made in TP.

Look at the current driving games that have cockpit views and tell me how many of them are mandatory. Almost all of them are optional, and the option is there for a select group of people who like that stuff. If you were to make a strictly-first person sandbox crime game, it would appeal to that select group, but would it appeal to those used to third person perspectives, even if there was an option for a third person perspective?

OurJud
  • OurJud

Playa

• Members

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:07 PM

Look at the current driving games that have cockpit views and tell me how many of them are mandatory. Almost all of them are optional, and the option is there for a select group of people who like that stuff. If you were to make a strictly-first person sandbox crime game, it would appeal to that select group, but would it appeal to those used to third person perspectives, even if there was an option for a third person perspective?

But the fact that it's there, even as an option, and that developers go to so much time and effort honing this view speaks for itself. As for open-world crime games, why would would it put off third-person fans if they had the choice to play in either?

When I play GTA V I have the driving set to bonnet-cam (not quite FP, but what can you do?). This option doesn't seem to have deterred third-person fans from playing the game, so why would it matter to them if the whole game had a proper first-person option?

Misbegotten cad
  • Misbegotten cad

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:19 AM

divided berlin in 1970, with the heroes smuggling stuff into east berlin, and smuggling people out of east berlin.

The game would end when the great Ronald Reagan says: Mr Gorbatchov, bring down this wall.

JefftheJunkie
  • JefftheJunkie

Player Hater

• New Members
  • Canada

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:55 PM Edited by JefftheJunkie, 03 September 2014 - 05:59 PM.

I have to say, the idea for a prohibition era GTA style open world free roamer is rather appealing to me. The op may have not done a brilliant job of describing how it would play out but the idea itself is intriguing. The infamous gangsterism(not just italian but could easily expand into the irish mafia, something that hasn't been truly touched on aside from a handful of missions in gta 4 and never done in a prohibition era setting if I'm not mistaken). The end of the first world war. the general atmosphere which would include early jazz clubs, speakeasies, opium dens, whore houses, vaudevillian theatre, burlesque clubs, etc. a massive amount of bribery, extortion, racketeering,and theft. Various infamous gang related murders such as the saint valentines day massacre.  The dawn of famous fbi agents such as J Edgar Hoover. Rampant political corruption.  It was an era of underground debauchery and criminality in a way that the world has never seen since, and there are relatively few games that use this time frame aside from mafia:the city of lost heaven, which is completely outdated and could be done exquisitely due to the technology available these days. It seems crazy that R* wouldn't try and capitalize on this sort of thing, especially given the popularity of shows like Boardwalk Empire as of late. I could see how a game set in (for example) ancient rome would be interesting to some, but I can't imagine there would be a giant market for it, where as there are very few people who don't enjoy a good 1920's-30's gangster movie. I dunno, I'm sure some people will disagree, but I'm all for it personally. 

xtro2000
  • xtro2000

Don't worry be happy

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:48 PM

i just want to see them doing exactly the same thing... with more and more crazy technology and attention to details. I was curious about Agent though...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users