Photo

Building 4,400hp engines

40 replies to this topic
Johnsworld
  • Johnsworld

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:09 AM

QUOTE (rader1 @ Saturday, Mar 9 2013, 06:14)
I haven't seen any issues with piston pin c-clips or broken/scored skirts with the tier 2s. All of our Tier 3 engines are less than 24 months old so i don't know how well they are going to hold up in the long term but so far we haven't seen any common issues.

Honestly, the EVOs are very mechanically solid with just a few exceptions.
-The rubber o-rings used to seal the cylinder liner water jackets don't last very long. Which causes the engines to consume water and then run low on cooling water and overheat. Then the exhaust valve seats get hot and warp ruining the head.

-The tier 3 turbos use a nozzle ring that is held in place by steel pins and those pins are starting to break so we're replacing quite a few turbos recently.

-The earliest EVOs we have are starting to break cranks. We've seen about half a dozen broken cranks over the last year or so. Unfortunately we're not setup to pull cranks on EVOs yet, so they have to go to GE. That's all going to change in the next 6 months or so, though smile.gif

Known what u mean about the liner seals. We had to replace the lot at 1/3 engine life. New ones seem to be good. Water pump reliability on both dash9 and evos are a real problem. You have the same problem? Get many dash 9 piston skirt failures? We have to inspect every 4 months. Saw a fair few exhaust tappets come loose on Evo,s but no inlets.

rader1
  • rader1

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:40 AM

IMO it's not the o-rings that are the problem, it's the fact that the liners "float" in the strong back. When you remove the liner from the strong back you can actually see where the o-ring rides up the liner and that's what causes them to fail.

Yeah, dash 9 water pumps get changed every 24 months as preventative measure due to their failure rate. The EVOs are also pretty bad about failures, I'd say 60% of them I see have a report of a suspected bad water pump. I haven't seen many valve train problems. I've seen a couple broken rocker bridges but that's about it.

We haven't any real issues with dash 9 piston skirts in a few years. About 3 years ago we determined the skirts supplied by the company "VSMPO" were defective and the reason for the failures. So we went through and replaced them all with a new supplier and it solved the issues.

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Hustlin'

• Members

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:15 PM

Holy crap! 4,400HP??

WARNING: May cause spontaneous erections along with explosive orgasms!

Johnsworld
  • Johnsworld

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

Hey rader1. Thanks for your thoughts, what do you guys run in the engine . Mulitgrade or mono oil. We run a mono

Do u have much prob with the dirty oil line pipe and victualics failing on the Evo's? How do your fuel boost pumps holdup?

See the weather is freezing over there.

rader1
  • rader1

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:31 AM

QUOTE (Johnsworld @ Saturday, Mar 16 2013, 06:53)
Hey rader1. Thanks for your thoughts, what do you guys run in the engine . Mulitgrade or mono oil. We run a mono

Do u have much prob with the dirty oil line pipe and victualics failing on the Evo's? How do your fuel boost pumps holdup?

See the weather is freezing over there.

I believe we run 20w40.

I'm not sure what you mean by "dirty oil line pipe.' If you mean the sump drain hose then HOLY crap yes, almost every single one of them that comes in the shop is leaking.

The victaulics used to be a problem, idk if GE changed the design or something but we don't see many victaulics leaks anymore. Of coarse, if you get any oil in the water then it completely breaks down the victaulics and EVERY one in the cooling system has to be replaced.

The high pressure fuel pumps hold up pretty well from what i've seen. The low pressure fuel pump isn't that reliable, i've seen a lot of them go out.

CygnusX1
  • CygnusX1

̿' ̿'\̵͇̿̿\

• Members

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

QUOTE (rader1 @ Thursday, Feb 7 2013, 20:03)
QUOTE (visionist @ Thursday, Feb 7 2013, 19:04)
Price point on these engines? How much, for instance, is a crankshaft?

A crank new from GE costs roughly $40,000 dollars. A tier 1+ EFI 7FDL-16 assembled and ready to run costs roughly $450,000. A new locomotive costs $3 million dollars give or take depending on options.

We can strip a block bare and rebuild it using new components for $350,000 with labor included. So, from the companies standpoint, we're saving over a $100G on each engine.

How many parts have you smuggled out in your lunchbox/when can we expect to see your completed engine dropped in an old chevy? Are you going to use NOS?

rader1
  • rader1

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:57 AM

QUOTE (CygnusX1 @ Sunday, Mar 17 2013, 09:52)
1:when can we expect to see your completed engine dropped in an old chevy?
2:Are you going to use NOS?

1: soon
2: I was going to but i'm leaning more towards propane injection right now...

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Zaibatsu

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:13 AM

That seems like a neat job! I've been getting more and more attracted to a hands-on, manufacturing type career.

DenverGuy
  • DenverGuy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:23 PM

Great post!  I have always wondered how tall the prime movers are.  It would be good to see someone standing next to the one in the first picture.  Anyone have any idea?

Ronnyboy
  • Ronnyboy

Blind leading the deaf, leading the socially inept.

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:46 AM

QUOTE (rader1 @ Wednesday, Feb 6 2013, 02:05) QUOTE (ryuclan @ Tuesday, Feb 5 2013, 19:14) You work with a guy whose last name is Bubolz?
No, why do you ask?
A buddy of mine's father worked on engines like that. He almost got us a tour of their factory last year but it didn't happen. That one was in Wisconsin.

I know a Bubuolz who works for GE... Small world huh?

Cool job man, love these huge engines! I live about 10 minutes away from Waukesha Engine who makes giant generator engines, and I'm always astounded at the size of them

Jbenz1
  • Jbenz1

Employee

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:49 PM

Holy sh*t those engines are massive. Having worked on a six cylinder turbo diesel from a semi, they just look small now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users