Forgive me, as I'm about to rant on how horrible this game is.
I was really excited to play both AC3 and ACIV when they were both about to come out. I'll give it to Ubisoft, they always make the AC trailers really bad ass. But, both times, I have been massively disappointed and bored with both games. AC3 was OK (yes the ending was BS), while ACIV is downright horrible.
1. Both games have been a buggy and glicthy mess. Just played ACIV yesterday and I've been playing the game for a while and about halfway through the story. When I was playing yesterday, during all of the cut scenes, NONE of the dialogue was working. I could hear the background noises/ambiance in the cut scenes, but none of the dialogue was audible. I just saw a bunch of mouths moving and that's it. So, great. Now I don't even know what's going on in the game. I shut the Xbox off and turned the game back on, only to see it's still wasn't working. I haven't played yet today, but I'm going to be pissed if it's still like that. Remember, I've been playing ACIV several times over the months and this never happened to me. I've also encountered my crew mates suddenly flying off the ship and dropping into the water while I'm out at sea. And then hundreds of other bugs/glitches I won't address. Patch up your f*cking game Ubisoft.
2. Naval combat - OMFG, don't even get me started how frustrating and annoying this is. I can't tell you how many times I would be in a battle with another ship, aim my cannons to hit the ship, only for some of those cannons to hit a DIFFERENT ship and then before you know it, I'm battling two brigs now and getting my ass kicked and then I die and have to start over. So f*cking annoying. Also a lot of times I would want to use a certain weapon, only for the game to think I'm trying to use a different weapon. "NO! I'M NOT TRYING TO USE THE CANNONS, I WANT TO USE THE FIRE BARRELS!". They seriously need to make a much more easier way to use all your weapons on the ship. Way too much room for error. Also the whole "restricted waters" and avoiding ships field of vision is really annoying. Also, not being able to fast travel to your next mission unless you've already been to that area is an awful idea. I can't tell you how UNFUN it is to be going across the sea for 20 minutes only just so you can get to your next mission. There is absolutely nothing fun about it. It almost feels like the longest loading screen ever. Also, the fact that there needs to be a loading screen, just to go "back out to sea" is also annoying. This is next generation, you should just be able to sail out of a city and back into the sea with no loading screens.
3. Repetitive missions. I can't f*cking tell you how many times I've had to eavesdrop or tail someone in this game. SO f*ckING UNORIGINAL. I'm so f*cking tired of doing the same sh*t in all of these missions. None of these missions were actual real fun for me. Just a pain in the ass to get through.
4. Frustrating controls - I can't tell you how many times I wanted Edward to do something or go somewhere, only for him to do something completely different. Like if I want to run forward, but instead, he starts climbing up something. Situations like that happens numerous times.
5. Modern missions - Again, I'm only about 61 percent done with the main story, but yet again, the main missions are boring and really pulls you out of the story. I don't want to be a f*cking random IT worker doing someone else's jobs. I want to go back to my f*cking game.
6. None of this game felt like an AC game at all. It seriously just felt like a Pirate simulator game.
The only positives I can think of were...
1. Voice acting was spot on and well done
2. Setting and era is very interesting
3. There is a sh*t load of things you can do in the game. Probably take tens and tens, maybe hundreds, of hours to 100 percent the game.
Too bad the gameplay completely ruined all of that though. Definitely the worst game in my collection and I HAVE NO IDEA how this game got high scores and how people think this was one of the best AC games ever.
I'm going to buy Unity though. Yet again, for the third f*cking time, I'm excited to play an AC game. But... if I'm let down with this AC game, then I am done with this franchise. I have high hopes for Unity though. Completely current generation game, so it won't be restricted by last generation. Seems to be no naval combat which is the greatest positive for this game. It also seems like it's going back to the old AC games with the setting, era, atmosphere, etc.