Photo

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

825 replies to this topic
The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:16 PM Edited by The Yokel, 19 November 2013 - 07:16 PM.

I still don't see it as anything other than clever references or Easter Eggs.

I'm not sure it really means that they're going to crossover and become a new franchise.

lots of game developers drop hints to their other titles in games that aren't actually related.

it's just there for their fans to notice and enjoy. it doesn't necessarily mean that the games all occur in the same universe.

This is bordering on delusional. I'm willing to bet that

Spoiler

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"Not Santa's balls!"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:20 PM Edited by El_Diablo, 20 November 2013 - 08:23 PM.

let us know how the PC version is once you get it.

you're the boss.

I picked up my copy from Microcenter Tuesday night and played through sequence 1.

this afternoon after work I've played up to sequence 3 (when you officially can access most of the map).

my opinion hasn't really changed. Black Flag is awesome.

it's gorgeous (LOVE the tropical setting, the ocean is beautiful in the sunlight) and improves on virtually everything that was almost ruined by AC3.

for starters, Edward is much more interesting and enjoyable than Connor ever was.

the graphics are outstanding and it does look a little sharper on my rig than it does on PS3 since I can choose higher resolution textures and more AA. so far I haven't noticed any hiccups that would indicate a bad port or anything, it just feels like a well-polished PC release. you can customize all the controls (on foot and aboard ship) or play with an Xbox controller. but I still prefer mouse / keyboard which seems to work just fine.

I don't care about the story at all - I just want to stay in the Animus and be a pirate - but the game does interrupt you with "modern" stuff @ Abstergo studios where you have to walk around a little and talk to people. Desmond has been replaced by some nameless boob you don't have to care about. but so far these interruptions are also much less frequent than the last few AC games. Abstergo has only 'pulled' me out once so far, and that was after the first official assassination. the modern Abstergo parts are basically just active cutscenes. there's technically some activities or minigames to do in Abstergo studios but they're optional and I've skipped them to stay in the Animus.

there are SO MANY things to do in the game world and it's pretty damn large.

I cannot begin to count how many individual locations there are to visit outside of major cities (there's like 3-4 cities). even when you're not on an island doing some exploring or crafting or killing, the ocean is full of side jobs and extra missions that all directly contribute to your success as a pirate. nothing feels like fluff or filler or a chore. there's nothing to 'grind' except maybe the first couple levels of upgrades for your ship (like the armor and weapons). every time you go and hunt down a treasure chest or other collectible there's almost guaranteed to be a useful prize/secret/upgrade along with it. everything is 100% seamless aside from fast-travel

the only time you ever see a loading screen is maybe before a cutscene or traveling between major city waypoints.

aside from that you never stop to load. you can transition from on-foot to piloting your boat within seconds. it works extremely well and you never feel like you're being held up or slowed down just to travel from land to sea and back.

the gameplay itself is a huge step up over Connor's adventure.

stealth works again and combat is more fluid. Ubisoft must have actually listened to our complaints and changed the AI to be much more realistic in its patrol behavior. they don't just immediately spot you out of the corner of their eye (or back their heads...) and come rushing with the ENTIRE fort on call. now they actually behave like individual guards who might just be standing around on the job. some of them are bored, some of them are drunk; you can actually sneak around now. it's so much better.

personally, Black Flag might be 2nd place only to GTA V for game of the year 2013.

This is bordering on delusional. I'm willing to bet that
Spoiler

technically speaking, you would be delusional to believe that the Easter Eggs are going to turn into something more.

9 times out of 10, Easter Eggs (in any game or movie, not just Assassins Creed) are just that and nothing else. they're usually just one-time references.

• Adler likes this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"Not Santa's balls!"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:37 PM

actually I wouldn't normally plug a review because I usually hate critics (too subjective).

but this spot by Gametrailers perfectly sums up my feelings about AC:BF.

they said it might the best AC of all; I don't agree with that just yet but otherwise it's pretty close.

Mr. Sleepy
  • Mr. Sleepy

Infamous

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:14 AM

I was going to pick AC4: BF next year when I get my PC, but ... http://www.videogame..._important.html

Not so sure anymore.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"Not Santa's balls!"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:26 AM

don't be so dramatic.

that article doesn't even mean anything.

his opinion doesn't affect the way the studio makes its games. having played Black Flag already on both the PS3 and PC, it's safe to say that there's no difference between the two in terms of "optimization." if anything, the PC version looks better but they play and handle identical.

• Mr. Sleepy likes this

Victor_Mangano
  • Victor_Mangano

Capo of the Mangano Crime Family

• Members

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:13 PM Edited by Victor_Mangano, 21 November 2013 - 01:46 PM.

Being a little further in Black Flag now, I must say I think it's on track to be my favorite of the series so far.

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Camp Crystal Lake

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:40 PM

Loving this after the disappointment of ACIII. Just the warm/tropical feeling of Carribean Islands.

I got the Buccaneer edition that came with the Edward figurine.

Really enjoying it. Had a couple of freezes, but other than that it's played nice. Feels more refined than ACIII.

It feels different, but in a good way. I wish R* would attempt an open world pirate game.

David.
  • David.

Street Cat

• Members
  • India

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:08 PM

@Diablo

Thanks for the in-depth review!

I just ordered a 770(comes with Arkham Origins, AC4 and some other game) so Nvidia's really not giving me an option about playing this game. :D

Mr. Sleepy
  • Mr. Sleepy

Infamous

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:05 PM

don't be so dramatic.

that article doesn't even mean anything.

his opinion doesn't affect the way the studio makes its games. having played Black Flag already on both the PS3 and PC, it's safe to say that there's no difference between the two in terms of "optimization." if anything, the PC version looks better but they play and handle identical.

Why thank you for your input senor El Diablo.

GTAhole
  • GTAhole

BPC

• Members

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:15 PM

Being a little further in Black Flag now, I must say I think it's on track to be my favorite of the series so far.

I agree. This game is defying my expectations.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"Not Santa's balls!"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:18 PM

Had a couple of freezes, but other than that it's played nice. Feels more refined than ACIII.

It feels different, but in a good way. I wish R* would attempt an open world pirate game.

I agree; Black Flag doesn't even feel like an Assassin's Creed game.

which in my book has been great. very refreshing all around.

speaking of 'freezes,' I've had the PC version crash on me one time so far.

but I've already put like 16 hours into it and that single crash has been the ONLY little error I've encountered. no bugs, no glitches, no freezing, no missing quests, no missing dialogue, etc. pretty much perfect all the way around to this point (I'm in the middle of sequence 4).

Why thank you for your input senor El Diablo.

well I just don't want people to get the wrong idea.

just because that producer has an opinion about what certain people want from their PC graphics and hardware doesn't mean it's actually going to change the way the studio makes or ports games for the PC.

• Mr. Sleepy likes this

Adler
  • Adler

Hello, Smith. ( -`)ノ

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:40 PM

Had a couple of freezes, but other than that it's played nice. Feels more refined than ACIII.

I agree; Black Flag doesn't even feel like an Assassin's Creed game.

which in my book has been great. very refreshing all around.

speaking of 'freezes,' I've had the PC version crash on me one time so far.

but I've already put like 16 hours into it and that single crash has been the ONLY little error I've encountered. no bugs, no glitches, no freezing, no missing quests, no missing dialogue, etc. pretty much perfect all the way around to this point (I'm in the middle of sequence 4).

Refreshing indeed. I adore the atmosphere of this game right now, and I'm trying to spend most of my time sailing rather than Assassin's Creed'ing it up on land. I'm also trying to stay away from land since I'm getting some lag issues in city areas not unlike that of ACIII. In the open seas though, it runs perfectly smooth.

I've not encountered any freezes at all, I'm thankful to say, The only bug I've had is when I glitched between a fence and the side of a wall, lodging me through the wall and under the map. This is not uncommon in games in general though. Thank goodness there's no gamebreaking bugs.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:55 AM

Speaking of the atmoshpere, for some reason it reminds me of The Witcher.

Dnero
  • Dnero

B4.DA.$$

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:56 AM

Man, this game has been really good. Just finished doing everything in Havana, the contracts, chests, etc.

Sadly I didn't get this game for free with my 770, since I bought it right before the promotion started.  :turn:

I<3GTAV
  • I<3GTAV

I LOVE GARY PAYTON NO ONE UNDERSTANDS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:43 AM

Going to play the hell out of this this weekend. Can't wait!  :panic:

badboy_zay
  • badboy_zay

:)

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:38 AM Edited by badboy_zay, 22 November 2013 - 04:43 AM.

oh great! another bad f*cking port for PC. while some people played the game just fine and smoothly, MOST of people got unstable framerate and stuff. doesn't matter if you set the game high or low, the framerate and hiccup are still the same.

it would be laughable to call it a "next-gen" graphic, they just added sh*t ton of unnoticeable effect and the game was truly unoptimized as hell.

otherwise, the story is good compare to AC3, there are some great things to do. but sadly the combat just got dumbed down more and more. I would say it's a good game, but the sh*tty port already ruined 40% of the atmosphere and immersive for me. certainly, this will be the last AC game I've played

badboy_zay
  • badboy_zay

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:40 AM Edited by badboy_zay, 22 November 2013 - 04:40 AM.

ops, double post. gotta hate the new forums system

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"Not Santa's balls!"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:50 AM

while some people played the game just fine and smoothly, MOST of people got unstable framerate and stuff. doesn't matter if you set the game high or low, the framerate and hiccup are still the same.

I personally haven't experienced any framerate issues and I'm playing @ all High settings.

also, it's not "most" people having these problems.

it's an issue that has to do with certain motherboard / GPU combinations; more with ATI than anything else.

badboy_zay
  • badboy_zay

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:04 AM

well no kidding, but most of my friends and people I know on other forums are still complaining about the port. for now it's no surprise that NVIDIA's users will play the game smoothly because the game was made for it and NVIDIA already released a new driver, while AMD's users will have to suffered the unstable framerate.

but still, the port was very badly optimize. not that I'm a game developer or something, but I have enough experience to know what is a fine port and a sh*tty port.

I managed to play the game up to sequence 3  with all the stuttering pain, luckily no crashing so far (even though I got more stable framerate with AC3, the game was crashing like broken spacecraft). hopefully AMD will release a new driver soon

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Camp Crystal Lake

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:11 AM

The element of discovery in this game is superb
. With the others I really just done missions without much exploring.

Maybe it's all the little islands and such. Haven't even completed sequence 3 and 6 hours in.

I can't believe Edward is related to that robot Connor. He's so much more interesting.

ATM I have him in Havana wearing Altair's outfit.

Saint.
  • Saint.

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:25 AM

Just finished the main story after 3 weeks or so :p

Wasn't sure If i was going to enjoy it,but I bought it anyway. Glad I did,the story and how everything reveals is amazing. I love a game with a good storyline,and this is one of them. There's tons of things to do,and the ship battles were amazing. Probably used the word amazing too much,but it is what it is,lol. It's definitely one of my favourite games these year too,the type of game that I'll buy all of the DLCs for,lol. 

Finite
  • Finite

Solitude

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Discussion Award [Gaming]
    Literary Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:36 AM

Technically speaking, you would be delusional to believe that the Easter Eggs are going to turn into something more.

9 times out of 10, Easter Eggs (in any game or movie, not just Assassins Creed) are just that and nothing else. they're usually just one-time references.

The hints in AC IV: BF were hardly Easter Egg level hints, one of the main characters in the game doesn't just go missing while checking out another company from another game's technology for no reason. Not to mention that said company is proposing an alliance of sorts with the Templars offering to protect their information and such.

It would be moronic to see this as a simple Easter Egg.

Dnero
  • Dnero

B4.DA.$$

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:39 AM

This is f*cking amazing:

• The Yokel and Adler like this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"Not Santa's balls!"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:48 AM

It would be moronic to see this as a simple Easter Egg.

there have been bigger Eggs that turned out to be nothing.

but I'll be happy to admit I'm wrong as soon as they do what you're suggesting. until then...

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:12 AM

This is f*cking amazing:

I hope this never gets fixed. I love it!

Anyway, I have no issues running AC4 on an AMD setup. My FX-8350 with an HD7950 run it great. I don't know how optimized AC4 is for multithreading, but this CPU rocks.

Victor_Mangano
  • Victor_Mangano

Capo of the Mangano Crime Family

• Members

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:41 AM

This is f*cking amazing:

Looks like Davy Jones raised your ship for you.....

100 years before the mast!

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 29 November 2013 - 06:05 PM

Just picked this up at GameStop for $29 brand new.. oorah. They had a lot of little sells going on as well but I didn't give in. I would of easily spent $200 or more if I did.

Raavi
  • Raavi

• Antarctica
  • Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 29 November 2013 - 06:12 PM

Read enough about it to make me interested, should I pick it up for PC or PS3?

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 29 November 2013 - 06:16 PM

I hear console versions has some rendering issues at times so maybe a PC would be your best bet, though issues like that don't make or break a game for me.

Rebel
  • Rebel

Woop Woop!

• The Connection
  • Olympics

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:10 PM

Anyone had issues with slight frame rate while playing on the PS3? Its only happened a couple times (I'm literally right at the start in Havana) but it just felt a little weird to be getting a frame rate drop for a couple seconds, only seems to happen when I start to run (not always but that seems to be the trigger for it)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users