Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

797 replies to this topic
Commander Rofl
  • Commander Rofl

"Per Ardua Ad Astra"

• Members
  • England

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:58 PM

QUOTE (02fishera @ Tuesday, Feb 5 2013, 23:34)
I'm really hoping for a British setting during the Industrial Revolution personally. I think the gritty nature of the period would provide an excellent contrast to the beauty of the Renaissance or the natural surroundings of the frontier.

Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me if Ubisoft opted to continue on with Connor's story. We saw the beginnings of the slave trade in America, perhaps they'll create a plot that revolves around that.

AC 3 Liberation sort of dealt with that theme

Secura
  • Secura

Fallen and Reborn

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

QUOTE (Rofl50 @ Sunday, Feb 10 2013, 21:58)
I'm really hoping for a British setting during the Industrial Revolution personally. I think the gritty nature of the period would provide an excellent contrast to the beauty of the Renaissance or the natural surroundings of the frontier.

Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me if Ubisoft opted to continue on with Connor's story. We saw the beginnings of the slave trade in America, perhaps they'll create a plot that revolves around that.

What are you on about ? Assassin's Creed: Liberation was based in Louisiana, centered around fighting the French in the 1770's. Hardly the Industrial Revolution London theme that you claim Assassin's Creed: Liberation has.

Commander Rofl
  • Commander Rofl

"Per Ardua Ad Astra"

• Members
  • England

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

QUOTE (Lightning Strike @ Sunday, Feb 10 2013, 22:04)
QUOTE (Rofl50 @ Sunday, Feb 10 2013, 21:58)

What are you on about ? Assassin's Creed: Liberation was based in Louisiana, centered around fighting the French in the 1770's. Hardly the Industrial Revolution London theme that you claim Assassin's Creed: Liberation has.

I meant with the slavery theme you muppet.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:43 AM

QUOTE (02fishera @ Friday, Feb 8 2013, 16:43)
I believe that Feudal Japan was one of the locations that Alex Hutchinson said the series would never visit. Even going as far as to say its one of the worst ideas for an AC game.

"The three most wanted are WWII, feudal Japan and Egypt. They're kind of the three worst settings for an AC game."

well then in that case, Alex Hutchinson is wrong.
maybe he should explain himself. especially since AC3 was garbage and Revolutionary America was boring. maybe he doesn't get to decide anymore what is a good setting or not.

why is Feudal Japan a bad idea?
why is it the "worst" idea??

I don't understand.

Secura
  • Secura

Fallen and Reborn

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:45 AM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Monday, Feb 11 2013, 02:43)
QUOTE (02fishera @ Friday, Feb 8 2013, 16:43)
I believe that Feudal Japan was one of the locations that Alex Hutchinson said the series would never visit. Even going as far as to say its one of the worst ideas for an AC game.

"The three most wanted are WWII, feudal Japan and Egypt. They're kind of the three worst settings for an AC game."

well then in that case, Alex Hutchinson is wrong.
maybe he should explain himself. especially since AC3 was garbage and Revolutionary America was boring. maybe he doesn't get to decide anymore what is a good setting or not.

why is Feudal Japan a bad idea?
why is it the "worst" idea??

I don't understand.

No high buildings maybe, then again Assassin's Creed III wasn't actually brimming with sky scraping structures.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:50 AM

QUOTE (Lightning Strike @ Sunday, Feb 10 2013, 19:45)
No high buildings maybe

well that's not true.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

plenty of tall, beautiful buildings in ancient Japan.

Secura
  • Secura

Fallen and Reborn

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:09 AM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Monday, Feb 11 2013, 02:50)

well that's not true.

plenty of tall, beautiful buildings in ancient Japan.

I was thinking about China not Japan, my bad.

Though there simply aren't enough buildings around to justify it, then again I'm no games designer so I'm not going to pretend that I know why he thinks that Feudal Japan's a bad place for the Assassin's Creed series to go.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:07 AM

if I had to guess, it's probably because he's afraid that Japan is too cliche. like too obvious.
"oh it's Assassin's Creed so people expect us to be ninjas and samurai."

but to be honest, what's wrong with that??
it's actually kind of perfect.

they started Assassins Creed with the original Turkish/Arabic influence of the ancient Hashashin.
going to Italy and Istanbul was fine, but in terms of history it was a little bit of a stretch. a little.

with AC3 they tried to bring assassins to America in a way that really didn't work at all. it felt very stretched and pretty dumb at times (personally confiding with George Washington? ok...). and unfortunately, Connor was just not an assassin in the way that Altair and Ezio were true assassins according to the Creed. Colonial America was not a good setting for this kind of game.

the only other major historical faction of assassin's were the ninja masters of Eastern martial arts disciplines from lower Asia.
their legend and their skills were revered throughout China, Mongolia, and Japan. the Japanese Samurai - who evolved their tactics from front-line, heavy cavalry into elite, special operations guerrillas - were heavily influenced by the subtle finesse and graceful fighting style of the ninja assassins. many Samurai became experts at both battlefield warfare and extremely precise subterfuge; contract killings, leaving no witnesses, no evidence.

many of the most powerful warlords in the East used assassin mercenaries to advance their political motivations.
infiltrate, poison, suffocate, steal, kidnap, eavesdrop, plant evidence, frame murders, etc etc.

not to mention that the setting itself is gorgeous.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

I mean really.
how is it not the most perfect setting for a game like this?

who cares if it feels cliche.
yes, there's a million ninja movies and there's a lot of good samurai movies, that's true. but you know there's actually no good ninja or samurai games yet. when was the last great ninja/samurai RPG? I certainly don't remember.

I would love for a major studio like Ubisoft to devote some real time or effort into a game like that. third-person RPG based on Samurai/ninja culture of ancient China or Japan. combine all the elements of an outstanding stealth and melee combat experience with the rich history of the Far East.

SFPD officer
  • SFPD officer

What do I look like I'm made of? Pudding?

• Members
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:35 AM

My personal favorites are Russian Revolution, Victorian Britain and Napoleon Wars.

I just hope they'll keep it simple this time around. ACIII didn't have that much actual assasinating, I'm all for varied gameplay, but I felt there wasn't all that much sneaking around, assasinating targets and escaping. I hope they'll bring back that balance between assasinating and other missions that made ACII so great.

And, I know it's contradictory to my previous claims, but more naval missions, please. Or just make an entire pirate AC game. Naval missions were the best thing about ACIII.

BrownBear
  • BrownBear

Dr. Green Thumb.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

I agree that Feudal Japan would be an excellent setting, but how about something a bit different. Ancient Egypt would be brilliant or a Mesoamerican culture, maybe Ancient Rome or Greece or how about something really different, Ancient Africa?

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:10 PM Edited by GTAvanja, 11 February 2013 - 03:16 PM.

It would be a waste not to do an AC game in Japan at some point. I even had an idea about the protagonist starting out as blacksmith's apprentice. That way you can also justify weapon crafting mechanic. That would be sweet. Adding more RPG elements is something I think games like AC could benefit from if done well. It wasn't done well with bomb crafting system in Revelations though because bombs were pointless. But crafting your own sword from parts that give you various bonuses to suit your play style is something that I can see work pretty well. Especially since Japanese swords are made out of so many parts. Each one could add a different stat. Kind of like what Ubisoft did with Future Soldier weapon customization.

LeThaL AsSeT
  • LeThaL AsSeT

F*ck Yo CoucH NyuGGa!!!

• Members

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

Im not buying another Assassins Creed unless they go to Fedual Japan I wanna be a ninja, Its the most sensible place to go imo but I went on the ubisoft forums and suggested this I got a negative response towards this idea

Adler
  • Adler

Hello, Smith. ( ΄-`)ノ

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE (brownbear @ Monday, Feb 11 2013, 03:25)
I agree  that Feudal Japan would be an excellent setting, but how about something a bit different. Ancient Egypt would be brilliant or a Mesoamerican culture, maybe Ancient Rome or Greece or how about something really different, Ancient Africa?

With Ancient Africa they could incorporate some First Civ sh*t. I believe those clips with Adam and Eve from ACII took place at a location in Africa right?

Carbine23
  • Carbine23

Work Hard & Say It's Easy

• Members

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE (Adler @ Monday, Feb 11 2013, 14:52)
QUOTE (brownbear @ Monday, Feb 11 2013, 03:25)
I agree  that Feudal Japan would be an excellent setting, but how about something a bit different. Ancient Egypt would be brilliant or a Mesoamerican culture, maybe Ancient Rome or Greece or how about something really different, Ancient Africa?

With Ancient Africa they could incorporate some First Civ sh*t. I believe those clips with Adam and Eve from ACII took place at a location in Africa right?

Yeah because in the video of Adam & Eve you see Kilimanjaro in the background

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:46 AM

QUOTE (brownbear @ Monday, Feb 11 2013, 04:25)
how about something a bit different. Ancient Egypt would be brilliant or a Mesoamerican culture, maybe Ancient Rome or Greece or how about something really different, Ancient Africa?

Egypt would be awesome. good idea.
Africa too, for that matter.

but Rome and Greece?
no thanks. there's been enough games about Rome / Sparta already. and there will be plenty more.

Japan, Egypt, and Africa would be best because almost no one makes games with those settings. almost never.
there's plenty of movies and TV shows about ninjas, samurais, and Egyptians but almost NO good video games.

GetWoody
  • GetWoody

Greedy Jew

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:03 AM

I kinda figured they would give this franchise a break after III, but apparently they're gonna milk it for all it's worth. Five games in five years is a little absurd for something that isn't in the sports genre (or COD).

Remix
  • Remix

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:58 AM

QUOTE (AlecOfTheWest @ Wednesday, Feb 13 2013, 15:03)
I kinda figured they would give this franchise a break after III, but apparently they're gonna milk it for all it's worth. Five games in five years is a little absurd for something that isn't in the sports genre (or COD).

Expect more annually released titles in the future, too! The new engines coming out drastically reduce the time it takes to develop video games, so all those bi-annually releases will soon become annual ones.

Secura
  • Secura

Fallen and Reborn

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:11 AM

QUOTE (Remix @ Wednesday, Feb 13 2013, 08:58)
QUOTE (AlecOfTheWest @ Wednesday, Feb 13 2013, 15:03)
I kinda figured they would give this franchise a break after III, but apparently they're gonna milk it for all it's worth.  Five games in five years is a little absurd for something that isn't in the sports genre (or COD).

Expect more annually released titles in the future, too! The new engines coming out drastically reduce the time it takes to develop video games, so all those bi-annually releases will soon become annual ones.

I'm hoping they do give it a little break, even if it's just one year it's better than another instant release. I wouldn't mind if we saw a sixth game in the series, just so long as they give it time to develop and us time to get away from the series for a while without being overwhelmed by the releases.

If I had to state a desired release date for the game, and hopefully it's an entirely new game with tons of new mechanics and a newer, more interesting story, then I'd probably go for late 2014. That'd be great for me, they'd have the time to truly develop the game and give the fans the break that they've been asking for, rather than force feeding us a new game every eight to nine months.

Sadly however, I doubt that's going to happen so it seems that at least for now this series will be the cash cow for Ubisoft. I can only hope that they realise how big of a mistake milking a series this good is and leave it so it gets the time that it needs to develop properly. Oh and no more Connor, I haven't had to play as a character that was that bland since Claude.

Sgt. Foley
  • Sgt. Foley

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

I'd like a break in between games so I can catch up on others. Any chance this one is set back somewhere in Europe?

TOMAHAWKS
  • TOMAHAWKS

Brimstone Quick-draw Champion

• Members

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE (AlecOfTheWest @ Wednesday, Feb 13 2013, 05:03)

Agreed, Ubisoft should give Assassin's Creed a break for a year or so. But apparently they don't plan on slowing down. Which is why AC3 had the biggest sh*t load of glitches and bugs I have ever seen in my life. They don't take their time.

Adler
  • Adler

Hello, Smith. ( ΄-`)ノ

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Monday, Feb 11 2013, 18:46)
how about something a bit different. Ancient Egypt would be brilliant or a Mesoamerican culture, maybe Ancient Rome or Greece or how about something really different, Ancient Africa?

How is Egypt awesome? It's... sand, and more sand. Maybe pyramids, made out of sand.

I can see it depicted in an AC game as a visiting point, but very narrow in scope. Maybe for a one-time assassination or grave-robbing, then you return to a more interesting setting. Otherwise, Egypt in large doses is not very fascinating.

Secura
  • Secura

Fallen and Reborn

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

QUOTE (Adler @ Thursday, Feb 14 2013, 22:06)
QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Monday, Feb 11 2013, 18:46)

How is Egypt awesome? It's... sand, and more sand. Maybe pyramids, made out of sand.

I can see it depicted in an AC game as a visiting point, but very narrow in scope. Maybe for a one-time assassination or grave-robbing, then you return to a more interesting setting. Otherwise, Egypt in large doses is not very fascinating.

I agree with you man, Egypt just doesn't fit the gameplay style of Assassin's Creed. While it's true that Colonial America didn't have an over abundance of large towering structures at least it the ability to go roaming around in the woodlands that surrounded both Boston and New York.

With Egypt there's nothing to do, you've got sand, sand and more sand and the pyramids. I can imagine them doing some sort of Desmond mission with the Pyramids, further digging into the past of The Ones Who Came Before and perhaps giving us a better understanding of how to defeat Juno.

Now, the only problems with an Egyptian society is there's simply not enough reasons for us to go there. We know that the Assassin/Templar feud has been going on for thousands of years yes, but how far do their histories actually stretch ? I'm guessing far beyond that of Ancient Egypt and that's kind of my biggest point.

Egypt's going to make an appearance in the series at once point, but don't expect it to be anything big. The primary reason that I can see people wanting to go to Egypt is because it's an older time period and us such it's probably more connected to The Ones Who Came Before, but there's no point in going to Egypt for just that reason.

Shaun says at some point during the third game that when they save the earth and get rid of all the Templar crap would Desmond like to get into the Animus and go back to the beginning of the first civilization, this is most likely why if we are to see a game in the series that focuses a lot more attention on the first civilization then it'll most likely be set during the time period when Humanity fought them in the great war.

For those that can't be asked to read here's a simplified version. Egypt won't happen because there's simply not enough reasons for the franchise to extend to Egypt for a full game, maybe as a singular mission (similar to what Brazil was in Assassin's Creed III) but not as a setting for a whole game.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:51 PM Edited by El_Diablo, 14 February 2013 - 11:37 PM.

QUOTE (Adler @ Thursday, Feb 14 2013, 15:06)

don't say dumb things if you don't want to appear dumb.
ancient Egypt is more than just sand whatsthat.gif

by that logic, Assassins Creed 1 was a terrible game because it took place in Israel and Syria.

QUOTE (Lightning Strike)
you've got sand, sand and more sand

oh gimme a break sigh.gif

ancient Egypt had massive cities that rivaled the size and architecture of the Roman empire.
they had gardens and culture, sports and entertainment.

outside the cities was plenty of tillable farmland, river valleys, sprawling towns and villages, temples, the pyramids (some of which are utterly massive with miles of space to explore on the inside), deep caves, high mountains, and the beautiful port city of Alexandria. there's much more in Egypt than sand.

if you think Egypt is a bad idea because it doesn't match the "theme" of AC, that's fine.
but don't say it's a bad idea because "sand." that's really, really dumb.

Egypt in large doses is not very fascinating.

user posted image

thank god you don't speak for everyone...

Secura
  • Secura

Fallen and Reborn

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:26 PM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Thursday, Feb 14 2013, 22:51)

QUOTE (Lightning Strike)
you've got sand, sand and more sand

oh gimme a break sigh.gif

ancient Egypt had massive cities that rivaled the size and architecture of the Roman empire.
they had gardens and culture, sports and entertainment.

outside the cities was plenty of tillable farmland, river valleys, sprawling towns and villages, temples, the pyramids (some of which are utterly massive with miles of space to explore on the inside), deep cave, high mountains, and the beautiful port city of Alexandria. there's much more in Egypt than sand.

if you think Egypt is a bad idea because it doesn't match the "theme" of AC, that's fine.

Yes, that may be true but it all depends on when and where Egypt would fit into an Assassin's Creed game. I'm going to guess when the first Pyramids were built Egypt wasn't exactly a sprawling society as it'd take time to grow into such a thing, it's also got no real reason to fit in to the universe as I've already mentioned, unless the next Assassin that we play as is Egyptian.

Another reason why Egypt wouldn't really fit the Assassin's Creed world would be the fact that if it's going to be a more modern day centered game (with Desmond, Shaun, Rebecca and so on) then a plot centered around Egypt wouldn't really fit too well. That's not to say that it couldn't be interesting for a short period of time but there's really no new features that an Egyptian setting would bring to the table.

The only reason I could see an entire game being set in Egypt is if Connor tried to trek across Europe after the ending of Assassin's Creed III and got lost in the middle east and some how ended up in Africa. That's it. I just can't really think of a plausible excuse that fits in with the lore of the game that'd make sense, from what you've said about Egypt it seems an interesting enough setting but it still doesn't have anything special about it compared to any other Assassin's Creed game.

Adler
  • Adler

Hello, Smith. ( ΄-`)ノ

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:10 AM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Thursday, Feb 14 2013, 14:51)
QUOTE (Adler @ Thursday, Feb 14 2013, 15:06)

don't say dumb things if you don't want to appear dumb.
ancient Egypt is more than just sand whatsthat.gif

by that logic, Assassins Creed 1 was a terrible game because it took place in Israel and Syria.

My logic discriminates Egypt, and does not necessarily apply to the Middle East just because they have sand in common. My gripe with Egypt is its bland and unappealing setting. Not nearly as romantic as the bloody Crusades, the flourishing Italian Renaissance, or the fervor of the American Revolution.

AC has a history of depicting settings which have been romanticized throughout culture, but to turn to Ancient Egypt is grasping at straws for a new idea. Really, I mean, sand is the best you can come up with? All the interesting history of Egypt has been overshadowed by Ancient Rome. Why settle for river valley civilization shrouded in sand when you can have much more gorgeous and vivid settings? Not to mention, settings with actually thrilling history.

Of course not, I was merely joking. If you didn't notice, I was not trying to start an argument primarily with sand as the foundation.

Snow is better than sand while we're still on the subject though.

Egypt in large doses is not very fascinating.

user posted image

thank god you don't speak for everyone...

Likewise. I'm not seeing all the love that you give to Egypt shared by many others. tounge.gif

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:16 AM

QUOTE (Lightning Strike @ Thursday, Feb 14 2013, 16:26)
I'm going to guess when the first Pyramids were built Egypt wasn't exactly a sprawling society as it'd take time to grow into such a thing

trust me, it's obvious that you're "guessing" because that's not true either.

Egypt was a massive society before the pyramids.
you think it started with the pyramids?? lol.gif

no... you need society established first otherwise there's no one around (and no money) to build something so large, which takes so much time.
Egypt was already a stunningly rich and far-reaching society before Pharaohs started building pyramids.

it's also got no real reason to fit in to the universe as I've already mentioned, unless the next Assassin that we play as is Egyptian.

yeah I saw that you mentioned it, but it doesn't really make any sense.

what does a location need in order to fit the AC universe?
the very first AC game was actually in the Middle East; not very far from Egypt.

Ubisoft just makes up a new character and adds things to the plot whenever they want AC to focus on certain parts of the world.
before AC3 was announced, there was no reason to believe that AC would come to Colonial Boston or New York. Ubisoft just invented Connor and Haytham and boom: you have a new plot which takes the story to America. and when they wanted to introduce Asian influences, they invented that female assassin who contacts Ezio during his final years about establishing a guild of assassins in China.

I just haven't seen a good argument yet as to why Egypt or Japan would be any worse than another game in Europe or the US.

Another reason why Egypt wouldn't really fit the Assassin's Creed world would be the fact that if it's going to be a more modern day centered game (with Desmond, Shaun, Rebecca and so on)....
The only reason I could see an entire game being set in Egypt is if Connor tried to trek across Europe after the ending of Assassin's Creed III and got lost in the middle east and some how ended up in Africa.

but why does the next game have to focus on modern times? why does it have to be about Desmond?
why does it even have to be about Connor?

it doesn't have to be about any of them.
Ubisoft can do whatever they want, make up whatever story they want, since that's what they already do.

Secura
  • Secura

Fallen and Reborn

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Friday, Feb 15 2013, 00:16)
QUOTE (Lightning Strike @ Thursday, Feb 14 2013, 16:26)
I'm going to guess when the first Pyramids were built Egypt wasn't exactly a sprawling society as it'd take time to grow into such a thing

trust me, it's obvious that you're "guessing" because that's not true either.

Egypt was a massive society before the pyramids.
you think it started with the pyramids?? lol.gif

no... you need society established first otherwise there's no one around (and no money) to build something so large, which takes so much time.
Egypt was already a stunningly rich and far-reaching society before Pharaohs started building pyramids.

it's also got no real reason to fit in to the universe as I've already mentioned, unless the next Assassin that we play as is Egyptian.

yeah I saw that you mentioned it, but it doesn't really make any sense.

what does a location need in order to fit the AC universe?
the very first AC game was actually in the Middle East; not very far from Egypt.

Ubisoft just makes up a new character and adds things to the plot whenever they want AC to focus on certain parts of the world.
before AC3 was announced, there was no reason to believe that AC would come to Colonial Boston or New York. Ubisoft just invented Connor and Haytham and boom: you have a new plot which takes the story to America. and when they wanted to introduce Asian influences, they invented that female assassin who contacts Ezio during his final years about establishing a guild of assassins in China.

I just haven't seen a good argument yet as to why Egypt or Japan would be any worse than another game in Europe or the US.

Another reason why Egypt wouldn't really fit the Assassin's Creed world would be the fact that if it's going to be a more modern day centered game (with Desmond, Shaun, Rebecca and so on)....
The only reason I could see an entire game being set in Egypt is if Connor tried to trek across Europe after the ending of Assassin's Creed III and got lost in the middle east and some how ended up in Africa.

but why does the next game have to focus on modern times? why does it have to be about Desmond?
why does it even have to be about Connor?

it doesn't have to be about any of them.
Ubisoft can do whatever they want, make up whatever story they want, since that's what they already do.

I'd say that it indeed it does make sense, the setting has to work well with the character in order for it to be interesting. The difficulty comes with balancing the character and the gameworld so one doesn't outshine the other or in Assassin's Creed III's case the main character was too bland and the game relied solely on the gameworld and missions to keep it interesting.

I can't see Egypt as an interesting enough setting to base the game and as such they'd have to rely on the main character and the story to keep the progress going and as proved by the original Assassin's Creed that won't work too well either. Assassin's Creed II was the best game in the series because everything about it was near perfect.

The story was great and intriguing as anything you're likely to buy right now in the market place, the gameplay had been drastically improved over that of its predecessor adding a whole bunch of variety both in and out of missions. Desmond was finally developing as a character and the real world situation was something that was genuinely interesting and you could feel his growth and development as a character.

Lastly there was Ezio, no character in the entire Assassin's Creed series from King Richard to George Washington to Rodrigo De Borgia can come close to the awesomeness of Ezio. He was funny, witty, intelligent, a great fighter and he developed fantastically as a character. I know that you and I will never see eye to eye about Connor being a rather bland character that has no real depth, but you can't deny that Ezio was a fantastic character and it was his ability to meld with the world around him and his connection to it that made Assassin's Creed II a great game.

Whether you were delivering packages, rebuilding Monteriggioni, Rome or Constantinople you were always in some way or another affecting the world and environment around you and it was so easy to get into and develop. There was no need for the player to have to figure out to how recruit assassin's like you did in Assassin's Creed III. You'd already been trained in previous games to protect people from harm so it came to us naturally in turn for saving their lives they served the Assassin order.

Back in Assassin's Creed III you had to figure out so much that wasn't told you, and when you did find out about it the assassin recruiting changes for example were strange and didn't really fit in to the gameworld all that well. Having the missions and liberating districts in the game was great, don't get me wrong but as the characters progressed in previous games you could upgrade their gear and abilities, all of the fun little pieces of micromanagement have been removed to turn the games into a more action oriented series.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but it removes a lot of the base content and takes away the player's probable attachment to world. This is why an Egyptian setting wouldn't work. There's simply nothing of interest there for them to bother taking the Assassin's series of games to Egypt, and as much as you don't see the point of why the game should be more future focused surely you realise that their must be a reason for them to be going through an ancient Egyptian assassin's memories, they'd more than likely be there for an artifact of sorts and hunting for one artifact this late in the game series isn't a good enough reason to set a game there.

kudoboi
  • kudoboi

HI

• Members

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

According to a Reddit user who oversaw a Power Point presentation on a flight, the next Assassin's Creed will focus on pirates and be called Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flags.

Here is the entirety of the post:

"I was on a flight where the lady in the row in front of me was working on a powerpoint presentation on marketing strategies of several gaming titles. And one that stood out the most was AC4: Black Flags, aimed for release 2013 Holiday season according to her slide. It already had a cool looking logo for it. Unfortunately I didn't take any photo, just wanted to share it with all the AC fans, and give those who are trying to figure out the next story line a little hint."

Contradicting this rumor somewhat is another tale of leisurely espionage from a second Reddit user, who claims the Black Flag(s) content is DLC.

"Whilst sitting in a San Francisco Cafe, I happened to overhear two advertising designers discussing a new piece of ACIII DLC, titled Black Flag, that will focus more deeply on naval combat. According to them, the tagline stands as "Survival is the Only Thing Worth Dying For," and the commercial being pitched involves an Admiral of the British Royal Navy attempting to arrest Connor Kenway on the high seas, whilst a Johnny Cash song sets the tone. The DLC is apparently nearly six months out and still in early development, but seems to be a definite project that Ubisoft is working on."

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:26 PM

that definitely sounds like DLC for AC3, not the next full game.

AC3 had those Naval missions that took place down in the Caribbean Islands around Cuba.
that's exactly where some of the most famous pirates of the 18th century had their hideouts and headquarters, basically. obviously that's what the whole Pirates of the Caribbean stories are based around.

Chukkles
  • Chukkles

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:36 AM

So I take it there won't be any, brotherhood or revelations type titles for ACIII?
I like the seafaring aspect of ACIII but after one mission, it's boring and I have to do other things for awhile.

TBH I put ACIII down about a month ago and haven't picked it up since, still have to finish it.

IDK if I'm gonna continue with this series. A bit much now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users