• Mister Pink

Boards Of Canada

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

Hi people,

I wanted to make a simple minimalistic photography site but I'm finding learning Dreamweaver a pain in the hoop and it's so time consuming. I could whip something up in Photoshop but I know that slicing sites are pretty outdated. I'm clueless.

I had a someone on Facebook who has since deleted his account make me mock site but I can't contact him. Disaster.

So I was thinking of finding a site that has web-building capabilities so I don't have to learn code or difficult software. It's impossible to find a free one.

I remember building or adding galleries to my old bosses one that was done on Wordpress. He had his own domain name though. Is Wordpress completely free? No, I think.

So I was just wondering what the best plan of action for a hack like me could be. I think I'm left with small options. I bite the bullet and pay a web designer (gots no cash, just quit my job), try learn Dreamweaver and consume a lot of my time or settle with a Wix account with no customisable domain and tight storage.

I f*cked around with a Wix site and just through my company name and a few images up on the index page and Portraits.
http://vivaceimages....om/vivaceimageshttp://vivaceimages.wix.com/vivaceimages

This is how I'd like my site to look. Would it be worth me trying to learn how to make it or will it take me yonks to get there?

Thanks for any help.
Clueless Bastard.

OzzySM12
  • OzzySM12

Hmm...

• Members

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:53 AM

Learning Dreamweaver? Dreamweaver is just a program, focus on learning the code you would actually use to create a site.

Wordpress is completely free, a domain will cost you about 10 a year if that, and hosting you'll get for less than 10 a month.

The best plan of action would be to focus on learning what you need to know. Wither it be HTML & CSS so you can create your own site, or how to admin and customize Wordpress.

I'd say Wordpress would be the best option for you if you are not interested in learning how to code a site.

Adriaan
  • Adriaan

Uncut

• Members
  • None
  • Most Helpful [GTA Series] 2012
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2012
    Most Respected 2012
    Most Helpful 2012
    Best Returning Member 2012
    Best Contributor [GTA Series] 2012
    Best Forum Ledby 2012
    Best Moderator 2012

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:20 PM

For your purposes, have a look at something like word press or weebly.com where you can get a beautiful site set up in no time.

There's an obvious market for people like you, so just use services like that versus trying to learn things completely from scratch.

Forty
  • Forty

he shouts stroke darker the strings

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:29 PM

Wordpress is a great way to go if you don't know any coding.

If you want to try and learn a bit of it, w3schools has great references for HTML and CSS, which are the basic foundation of a quality site. You can do almost anything in CSS nowadays.

Tsuroki
  • Tsuroki

Gone Fishin'

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:26 PM

1. Go to WordPress.com, sign up for a free account.
2. Grab the Oxygen theme, free, or any of the other photo-oriented themes.
3. Refer to the documentation.
4. When you're comfy, look at upgrading your site or buying premium themes.

You get yourself a website, no coding required, supported by a great company. You won't need to fuss with code and you'll have a site that's all yours.

If you're really interested in taking the plunge into code, check out Codecademy. Lots of great tutorials.

Aerodynamik
  • Aerodynamik

FAME - f*ck ALL MY ENEMIES

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:47 AM

try out these scripts

i would recommend using x10hosting.com as host its free!

Tomm94
  • Tomm94

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:39 PM

Get a host, free or paid (up to you, obviously paid has its advantages). Then download a HTML and CSS website templates which you can edit and have full control over (again, paid and free are two options).

S99
  • S99

'StueyCow'

• Members
  • England

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

try www.webeden.co.uk there is free stuff and aslong as you update it every 6 months it stays online, i have my photography website there and manyothere websites there aswell and it is a free webbuilder

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users