next gen extends the life of gta v

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
39 replies to this topic
jonp13579
  • jonp13579

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

think about it when GTA SA was released it was pretty much at the end of the ps2, so what it got maybe 2-3 years before people went out and bought a ps3,

GTA IV released in 2008 has had 5 years to make sales come this April! now if they only released GTA V on this gen they are cutting their profits massively with only around a year maybe 2 of sales before people go out and buy a ps4 or 720. its common sense to wait and release on both current and next gen consoles, that way they get the rest of the current gens worth of sales plus the next 5 years on the next gen.

now the upside to that is support for the game will go on for longer which is good for those of you who love the multiplayer it wont just have 2 years before the lobbies become empty and no one plays it because thats what will happen if they release it just on ps3 and 360

its what i would do and anyone with a brain would do.
  • Andreas likes this

NicoBaby
  • NicoBaby

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO it wont be out for next gen ffs
  • Mister Pink and Andreas like this

xzxxsicko
  • xzxxsicko

Homie

• Members

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

yea GTA V will be a major flop in sales if it's released this gen con.
  • Andreas and fac316 like this

Nopheros
  • Nopheros

Cool, cool cool cool. Pew.

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

I won't buy a next-gen console until they are cheaper, so I will still use my current console for a couple of years with GTA V in it.

jonp13579
  • jonp13579

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:47 PM Edited by jonp13579, 01 February 2013 - 12:52 PM.

QUOTE (xzxxsicko @ Friday, Feb 1 2013, 12:40)
yea GTA V will be a major flop in sales if it's released this gen con.

of course it wont i wasn't saying that what i am saying is that it will increase the lifetime sales of the game!! why wouldn't it? itll be selling for 3 -4 times as long

if they release it only on current gen consoles it will only sell for max 2 years, release it for both it'll sell for 7+, simple business strategy

[QUOTE=Elusion123,Friday, Feb 1 2013, 12:42] I won't buy a next-gen console until they are cheaper, so I will still use my current console for a couple of years with GTA V in it.

exactly you've just said it yourself, a couple of years not 7+, there are going to be people who buy a ps4 and 720 on release that will want to buy this aswell and guess what theyll be playing the game long than you will on your ps3 unless after the said "couple of years" you buy the consoles and gta v on that

Jesus Piece
  • Jesus Piece

Snitch

• Members

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

It will not happen. Zero chance.

One of the reasons GTA sells well is because it always comes out for popular and mature consoles. Consoles with massive user bases. It'll take a good 2-3 years before PS4 and/or the next Xbox will have the type of user base R* is looking for. Why do people not understand this? With PS3 and Xbox 360 they're selling to over 140 million people.

Chukkles
  • Chukkles

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

QUOTE (Jesus Piece @ Friday, Feb 1 2013, 12:56)

One of the reasons GTA sells well is because it always comes out for popular and mature consoles. Consoles with massive user bases. It'll take a good 2-3 years before PS4 and/or the next Xbox will have the type of user base R* is looking for. Why do people not understand this? With PS3 and Xbox 360 they're selling to over 140 million people.

Some of us do understand this, they would alienate everyone if it came only to next gen.

jonp13579
  • jonp13579

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

QUOTE (Chukkles @ Friday, Feb 1 2013, 12:58)

Some of us do understand this, they would alienate everyone if it came only to next gen.

are people not reading what im putting im saying they will release for BOTH GENERATIONS

GTA V--- PLATFORMS------- Xbox 360, PS3, Xbox 720, PS4 all of them!!

that way they get the 140 million worth of sales from this generation plus another 140 million sales in 4 years time when everyone owns a PS4 or Xbox 720

Chukkles
  • Chukkles

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

QUOTE (jonp13579 @ Friday, Feb 1 2013, 13:05)

are people not reading what im putting im saying they will release for BOTH GENERATIONS

that way they get the 140 million worth of sales from this generation plus another 140 million sales in 4 years time when everyone owns a PS4 or Xbox 720

Why would you want a port from ths gen on next gen?

They're not going to make 2 versions of the game. Ports are always sh*t.
  • Andreas likes this

Jesus Piece
  • Jesus Piece

Snitch

• Members

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

I guess anything is possible, but this just seems pointless to me. Rockstar is no longer solely dependent on GTA, they're probably already working on whatever is coming after GTA V. Why worry about milking it on two sets of consoles when they'll have actual next gen projects underway? I mean we already know based on job postings that they're developing a next gen engine.

I just don't see it happening personally. I think GTA V will do strongly, as GTA always does, and then R* will move on and get ready to wow people with actual next gen games.

fastetshot
  • fastetshot

I'm very serious.

• Members

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

You guys invent stupid things to ease your nerves because of the release date...
How the f*ck would Rockstar make the engine compatible for the new consoles that are not even announced...It is coming in September 17 for X360 and PS3 god dammit.

jonp13579
  • jonp13579

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

QUOTE (Chukkles @ Friday, Feb 1 2013, 13:07)

and who said it was going to be a port? who said they haven't been making it for next gen from the very beginning we don't know that do we.

c'mon people use your head this is common sense, they want money this is how they'll get it, regardless of how many of you say you won't buy it on next gen consoles.
for every 1 person who says they wont buy, it there's a 100,000 people who will

also i never said i wanted a this im just stating why i think they've delayed and it makes perfect sense

Raavi
  • Raavi

Allergic to bullsh*t

• Vatican-City
  • Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

QUOTE (fastetshot @ Friday, Feb 1 2013, 14:13)
You guys invent stupid things to ease your nerves because of the release date...
How the f*ck would Rockstar make the engine compatible for the new consoles that are not even announced...It is coming in September 17 for X360 and PS3 god dammit.

You do no various developers get consoles early to develop launch titles right? They're probably optimizing the next gen versions as we speak.

Matty
  • Matty

Wiseguy

• Australia

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

Those who are saying that it will be a financial flop if they release GTA V on the current generation consoles (which is going to happen since the press release last night says that GTA V will be released on the PS3 and Xbox 360), please explain how this would be so? Knowing the fact that the Xbox 360 and PS3 have collectively sold over 140 million units. You can not tell anyone that the next gen consoles will sell that many units within a few months, especially when it took several years for the current generation consoles took years to sell as many as they have. You also have to consider the price of the new consoles, which will no doubt be expensive when they are first release which will put people off buying the next generation consoles until prices come down. If anything, it will be a financial flop if they release GTA V on the next generation, not this generation. Keeping in mind also that we don't even know for sure if the next generation consoles will even be released this year.

I have said it once, and I will say it again - NO GTA game has seen improvements in terms of gameplay/graphics when it has been released on two sets of consoles. Furthermore to this, no GTA game, aside from GTA 2, has seen a release on multiple generations of consoles (not including GTA games that have been released on PSN or Xbox Live). GTA V will be no different.
  • Andreas likes this

Jesus Piece
  • Jesus Piece

Snitch

• Members

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

QUOTE (jonp13579 @ Friday, Feb 1 2013, 13:14)

and who said it was going to be a port? who said they haven't been making it for next gen from the very beginning we don't know that do we.

c'mon people use your head this is common sense, they want money this is how they'll get it, regardless of how many of you say you won't buy it on next gen consoles.

also i never said i wanted a this im just stating why i think they've delayed and it makes perfect sense

In regards to your first comment, surely even you realize that's ridiculous. They've been working on this game for five years. I'm just going to assume you're trolling here and don't actually believe they've been developing this for next-gen consoles since 2008.

As to your second comment, I'm still not sure where you're going with this. You say they want money. You don't believe they're going to get money with GTA V on 360 and PS3? I can't buy into this belief that this game won't sell well because of new consoles coming after the game's release date.

jonp13579
  • jonp13579

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

QUOTE (DTUMan @ Friday, Feb 1 2013, 13:17)
Those who are saying that it will be a financial flop if they release GTA V on the current generation consoles (which is going to happen since the press release last night says that GTA V will be released on the PS3 and Xbox 360), please explain how this would be so? Knowing the fact that the Xbox 360 and PS3 have collectively sold over 140 million units. You can not tell anyone that the next gen consoles will sell that many units within a few months, especially when it took several years for the current generation consoles took years to sell as many as they have. You also have to consider the price of the new consoles, which will no doubt be expensive when they are first release which will put people off buying the next generation consoles until prices come down. If anything, it will be a financial flop if they release GTA V on the next generation, not this generation. Keeping in mind also that we don't even know for sure if the next generation consoles will even be released this year.

I have said it once, and I will say it again - NO GTA game has seen improvements in terms of gameplay/graphics when it has been released on two sets of consoles. Furthermore to this, no GTA game, aside from GTA 2, has seen a release on multiple generations of consoles (not including GTA games that have been released on PSN or Xbox Live). GTA V will be no different.

and have you read my posts??? i suggest you read them again i said and i quote "that way they get the 140 million worth of sales from this generation plus another 140 million sales in 4 years time when everyone owns a PS4 or Xbox 720 " --- i said another 140 million sales in the next 4 years not in a few months which is what you put

look people im talking about extending the lifetime of the game!!!

if this game does not release on the next gen consoles it will not last 5 years like GTA 4 did! its taken GTA IV 5 years to reach 25 million sales COD did that a lot faster
now GTA V will not reach those figures in 2 years

japse123
  • japse123

Homie

• Members

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

Some people here still like to keep a closed mind about things.

GTA V on both current and next gen COULD happen.

I remember when I warned people that the game COULD be delayed, got flamed to death. And see now....

Just keep an open mind about things and stop being 100 % sure about everything you say about GTA like its gonna have properties and so on.

GTAforthe21thcentury
  • GTAforthe21thcentury

Thug

• Members

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

I don't want a console with the UI of a cell phone.

jonp13579
  • jonp13579

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE (Jesus Piece @ Friday, Feb 1 2013, 13:25)
QUOTE (jonp13579 @ Friday, Feb 1 2013, 13:14)

In regards to your first comment, surely even you realize that's ridiculous. They've been working on this game for five years. I'm just going to assume you're trolling here and don't actually believe they've been developing this for next-gen consoles since 2008.

As to your second comment, I'm still not sure where you're going with this. You say they want money. You don't believe they're going to get money with GTA V on 360 and PS3? I can't buy into this belief that this game won't sell well because of new consoles coming after the game's release date.

look im not saying it wont sell well read my posts not once have i said it wont sell well, what i have said is it will sell better on both gens.

yes it will sell great on PS3 and Xbox 360 it might actually sell 140 million units if every owner of a console bought it, but it will sell even more if they release it on the next gen consoles as well and it'll sell for a lot longer!

stop putting words in my mouth about it not selling well and not earning a lot

Matty
  • Matty

Wiseguy

• Australia

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE (jonp13579 @ Saturday, Feb 2 2013, 00:28)
and have you read my posts??? i suggest you read them again i said and i quote "that way they get the 140 million worth of sales from this generation plus another 140 million sales in 4 years time when everyone owns a PS4 or Xbox 720 " --- i said another 140 million sales in the next 4 years not in a few months which is what you put

I wasn't specifically referring to you, I was referring to a couple of the other people in this topic who said that "it would be a financial flop if they released on the current generation consoles" which just wouldn't be the case.

Furthermore, the reason why I wrote "in the next few months" is because the initial bulk of sales from a new game would come from within the first few months of its release before it evens out. Now, for one, we don't even know for sure if the next generation consoles will even be released this year and second, even if they did - do you really think that Rockstar would waste time porting a game, which will already be selling bucketloads when it is released, porting it to the next generation consoles? Not likely, because as I have already said, aside from GTA 2, no GTA single games has been released on multiple generations of consoles (again, not including digital download versions from the PSN Store or Xbox Live). If anything, they will probably begin work on GTA V's successor instead of porting GTA V to the next generation consoles.

Also, how do you know that GTA V will not last five years or sell as much as Call of Duty did within the same amount of time? What exactly are you basing this evidence on? As I have said before, not everyone will be buying the next generation consoles within the first two years of its release - I'd actually argue that 2014 will still be a current generation year and that is, again, regardless of whether the next generation consoles are even released this year or not. I can almost guarantee, based on the anticipation that GTA V has already generated, that people will be playing GTA V for as long, if not even longer, then they played GTA IV.
  • Andreas likes this

jonp13579
  • jonp13579

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

QUOTE (DTUMan @ Friday, Feb 1 2013, 13:50)
QUOTE (jonp13579 @ Saturday, Feb 2 2013, 00:28)

I wasn't specifically referring to you, I was referring to a couple of the other people in this topic who said that "it would be a financial flop if they released on the current generation consoles" which just wouldn't be the case.

Furthermore, the reason why I wrote "in the next few months" is because the initial bulk of sales from a new game would come from within the first few months of its release before it evens out. Now, for one, we don't even know for sure if the next generation consoles will even be released this year and second, even if they did - do you really think that Rockstar would waste time porting a game, which will already be selling bucketloads when it is released, porting it to the next generation consoles? Not likely, because as I have already said, aside from GTA 2, no GTA single games has been released on multiple generations of consoles (again, not including digital download versions from the PSN Store or Xbox Live). If anything, they will probably begin work on GTA V's successor instead of porting GTA V to the next generation consoles.

Also, how do you know that GTA V will not last five years or sell as much as Call of Duty did within the same amount of time? What exactly are you basing this evidence on? As I have said before, not everyone will be buying the next generation consoles within the first two years of its release - I'd actually argue that 2014 will still be a current generation year and that is, again, regardless of whether the next generation consoles are even released this year or not. I can almost guarantee, based on the anticipation that GTA V has already generated, that people will be playing GTA V for as long, if not even longer, then they played GTA IV.

ok you have a point but lets say next gen consoles are released next year, 2014, and GTA V is released in Sept this year 2013, 5 years from now in 2018 truth be told how many people are going to be playing GTA V on PS3 or Xbox 360 4 years after the new consoles are released in fact think to 2016 how many people will be playing and BUYING the game then in just 2 years? your kidding yourself if you think the same amount of people who are playing GTA 4 now will be playing V on PS3 and 360

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

how do they make loss in sales when only releasing it on current gen???

if should think a bit further.... most people wont get a console until there are games which they like. i myself wont get a game until they release a second series where they solved every problem with the first series of the consoles.

And im pretty sure the consoles will be compatible with the 360/pS3 discs.

so theres not a single reason why next gen should cause loss in sales...

GTA SA was released about 1 Year before PS3 and Xbox 360.

Still they made huge sales.

AND EVEN WHEN I GOT MY 720, I STILL GOT MY 360 WHERE I CAN PLAY GTAV ON

jonp13579
  • jonp13579

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

QUOTE (iNero @ Friday, Feb 1 2013, 14:27)

if should think a bit further.... most people wont get a console until there are games which they like. i myself wont get a game until they release a second series where they solved every problem with the first series of the consoles.

dude read will you i never said loss in sales i said they'd sell more not lose sale grrrrr

angry at people that don't read

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

If GTA V is as good as I expect, I should get a solid 2 or 3 years with it. Once I have that, I won't need to look at next-gen. Release games for next gen aren't really that good anyway. They're still tinkering with until utilizing the technology. Besides one or two games will come out that will be amazing on this gen that get lost almost between the cracks of each generation like The Warriors and Scarface: The World Is Yours. When people were playing on their new top dollar Xboxs on okay ish release titles I was playing The Warriors and Scarface, having a ball. Then by the time I was ready to move on Xbox prices came down. Hopefully something like this will happen for me again.

jonp13579
  • jonp13579

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

all im trying to say is the lifespan of this games will only be maximum 3 years because after 2 years of the new gen consoles no one is going to be playing ps3 and 360 anymore,

put it simply if its on:

ps3 and 360 only : lifespan 3 years

PS3 , 360, PS4, 720 : lifespan 10 years

not saying it wont sell aswell im saying it will sell longer if on old and new gen consoles

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE (jonp13579 @ Friday, Feb 1 2013, 14:36)
QUOTE (iNero @ Friday, Feb 1 2013, 14:27)

dude read will you i never said loss in sales i said they'd sell more not lose sale grrrrr

angry at people that don't read

thats almost the same thing...

you say they would make more sales, I said loss sales.

thats the same thing... cause they surely would make more sales by releasing it on there, so that means they wouls lose POSSIBLE sales... But it would be way too less to make profit out of it... thats why i said they wouldnt make loss in sales when only releasing it on current gen. at least nothing noticeable.

baguvix_wanrltw
  • baguvix_wanrltw

Cynical, yeah. Bitter, probably.

• Members

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

Don't forget Watch Dogs. If that's a launch title for Orbis and/or Durango and releases this year it will f*ck V's sales up - it won't cost them 50% of course due to the low installed base of next gen consoles by then but 20% still hurt.

And what do you think people who aren't "hardcore gamers" will do? Be impressed by the same game they saw in 2008 (just with more palm trees and rednecks and 50m viewing distance before it gets foggy) or by the brand spanking new super high def action game that's ever so different from anything that came before (or will at least seem that way at first)?

People won't be buying PS3s and 360s no more either once they know the next consoles are coming soon.

Saints Row is dead - or actually in stasis. But now there's Watch Dogs which looks much better than SR ever did. And it's not dumbed down to run on old crap hardware, it's brand new.

Stupid, stupid R*. So now you're f*cked on consoles and aren't even able to announce whether or not a PC version is coming - or release a cover for that matter. Smart moves icon14.gif

So in short, I disagree with the OP.
  • Andreas likes this

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE (jonp13579 @ Friday, Feb 1 2013, 14:46)
all im trying to say is the lifespan of this games will only be maximum 3 years because after 2 years of the new gen consoles no one is going to be playing ps3 and 360 anymore,

put it simply if its on:

not saying it wont sell aswell im saying it will sell longer if on old and new gen consoles

how that?

even if you got a 720/ps4, you stll have a 360 or PS3 to play it on.

also the next gens will be compatible with old gen.

and if thats not the case they will release a old gen version on the next gens like they did with VC and San Andreas but gaib 3-4 after console release

jonp13579
  • jonp13579

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE (iNero @ Friday, Feb 1 2013, 14:55)

put it simply if its on:

how that?

and if thats not the case they will release a old gen version on the next gens like they did with VC and San Andreas but gaib 3-4 after console release

how often have you been back to GTA SA on a ps2??? in the last 2 years and dont say everyday

and did the the ps3 have backwards compatibility? apart from a very rare version of it

and
baguvix_wanrltw

maybe your right watch dogs does look good and it might out sell GTA V in a day but my point is stll being missed more sales will still happen if its released on both generations regardless of the competition

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE (jonp13579 @ Friday, Feb 1 2013, 15:04)
QUOTE (iNero @ Friday, Feb 1 2013, 14:55)

put it simply if its on:

how that?

how often have you been back to GTA SA on a ps2??? in the last 2 years and dont say everyday

and did the the ps3 have backwards compatibility? apart from a very rare version of it

and
baguvix_wanrltw

maybe your right watch dogs does look good and it might out sell GTA V in a day but my point is stll being missed more sales will still happen if its released on both generations regardless of the competition

why should i go back on ps2 when i was thorugh the game until next gen was out?!

if you have a 720 but you want to play GTA5 you just go back to it. and i explained 2 other solutions.

Xbox has a lot of games which you can play on a 360.

and the problem between PS2 and PS3 was that it is an HD console.

Its pretty obvious that old games will run on next gens. Its 8 Years since they released this gen and in 8 years there was a big evolution of the hardware...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users