Did GTA 3 have a bad plot?

59 replies to this topic
SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Best Member in an Official Group 2012

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:15 AM

I can't even remember specifics about GTA III's story. It's been about 9 years since I last played through it all, but it was good for a 2001 game.

Nothing spectacular, but good.

bobgtafan
  • bobgtafan

The last thing you never see

• Members

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:18 AM

I must say though for the time period, given it was the first 3D game of it's kind and the first of it's kind, and considering Rockstar probably didn't have many professional writers if any. The game had many strong points, it just amazes me how the plot is never really discussed. Remember GTA 3 set the standard for every open world game since, good and bad.

the utah dude
  • the utah dude

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:19 AM

QUOTE (ClaudeSpeedRulez @ Saturday, Feb 2 2013, 11:47)
QUOTE (Kaydee. @ Saturday, Feb 2 2013, 18:25)
^That guy is just a fanboy desperate for attention, ignore him.

What right do you have to say this about me?

You think you will look cool if you do that? confused.gif

Probably because you are saying something that nobody before you said and you find this offending.

Filip454
  • Filip454

TITS OR GTFO

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:05 AM

bug is right. People must be so stupid if they believe in such bullsh*t. 1% - hahahahahaha. R* always makes my day. Of course it wouldn't be 1% of the game. It's too obvious. Gouranga.com is the best source for old GTAs ever, because it is site from 97. It is role model for every GTA website. It has every single screenshot that has been released and every single fact. Even GTA 3 fact sheet released by R* tells us, that something isn't right.

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

2KΣΓ

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

I don't see any contradiction between what R* said and what thatstupidbug said. Most of the things he listed could fall under cosmetic changes, and some stuff they might have forgotten but it is still minor stuff.

Filip454
  • Filip454

TITS OR GTFO

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

Minor stuff = main stuff for real beta fans.

It is very much and every single things adds some climate to this game.
  • Cakelover21 likes this

Reiji
  • Reiji

Sarcastic Cock

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

So anal... I thought the plot was good around 2001. What I missed the most about the GTA franchise are the gangs being hostile towards you after a certain mission.

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Contribution Award [GTA III]

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

Grand Theft Auto III was one of Rockstar's first attempts at writing a detailed story so its not going to be perfect. No game will be perfect. But I personally think it was a really good plot especially storyline wise. Storylines may not always make sense but GTA III's story was pretty easy to follow because it was a big story of 'Life in Liberty City' you get to see the Mafia, Yakuza, Yardie and Cartel side of life. Missions are unexpected (No-one would of thought Salvatore would stitch you up in Last Requests after being so 'praising' to you during his missions) and the Side Missions are challenging (Gripped! angry.gif ). You have a free open world to explore Secrets, Easter Eggs and Glitches and the final mission is the 'end' to Claude's long running mission (To get revenge).

and then BAM he kills Maria. Well it's off screen so we don't even get to see that, even though we all get he killed her.

There is no proof that Claude kills Maria.The gunshot effectively ends the mission. In the GXT files of Grand Theft Auto III you can see her longer ongoing speech so Rockstar had not originally planned to kill her.

Even for Liberty City 20 foreigners military style occupying the cities primary water and power supply seems like a big f*cking deal. What was Catalina planning on her thugs at the Cedar Grove mansion missing every shot? Seriously what the flying f*ck.

Cochrane Dam is Columbian Cartel territory so it would not of taken them long to position themselves.

OK so the climax of the game sucked dick, the rising action started sucking the moment Love just disappeared (Love being the most interesting character in game mind you)

Donald Love disappearing isn't something that ruins the climax of the game. At least not for me... It's just a cutscene. The Missions following this might just not be your taste but I don't think they downgrade the game.

Good game, horrible plot.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion but how do you think its a good game if you think the plot's awful?

AustinN
  • AustinN

Snitch

• Members

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:45 PM

QUOTE Good game, horrible plot.
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion but how do you think its a good game if you think the plot's awful?

Apologies for speaking for someone else, but video games don't need a good plot to be fun. A good plot certainly enhances an already good game, but nobody calls Super Mario Bros a bad game just because the story is solely about rescuing a princess, do they?

As for GTA III's plot, I'm not sure if I can call it bad plot because it's so simple that it's hard to think of anything to really be critical about. "Lacking" might be the better word. I think the main problem with III's plot is that it lacks focus. Claude works for different people with varying goals, but his only real motivation is to find Catalina, and not everything he does furthers that goal. My biggest disappointment with III's plot is that even though you do more jobs for them than anyone, after Asuka's second mission the Mafia completely vanishes from the story. While Stauton Island and Shoreside Vale's missions are closely intertwined, Portland's missions end up feeling mostly irrelevant to the overall plot. The story might've been better if there were a few more plot threads that lasted through out the whole game.

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:50 PM

Good game, horrible plot.

Apologies for speaking for someone else, but video games don't need a good plot to be fun. A good plot certainly enhances an already good game, but nobody calls Super Mario Bros a bad game just because the story is solely about rescuing a princess, do they?

Who said nobody calls Super Mario Bros a bad game for that reason? I bet I could find somebody easily enough.

What I meant was - The Storyline was a big factor of the game and it seems unusual that somebody would class the game as good even though they disliked the main plot.

Filip454
  • Filip454

TITS OR GTFO

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:32 PM Edited by Filip454, 09 January 2014 - 10:33 PM.

GTA 3 has the best plot, best and the most magnificient characters.

GTA 3 > GTA 2 > GTA V > GTA 1 gameplay wise somehow

cidamelo
  • cidamelo

RIP Amy WINEHOUSE!GRANT RODIEK is back to the EA GAMES!&

• Members
  • None
  • Comedian of the Year 2010

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:02 AM

I think the plot was good, these days it may seem kind naïve and shallow, but it's because nowadays the story is much more important than before... But I liked the story, the same with Vice City (even thought it borrows a lot from movies...). The only story I haven't enjoyed much was San Andreas, I think it was kind nonsense.

Criѕtian I also think Claude still loved Catalina, he was very romantic afterall :pp  

AustinN
  • AustinN

Snitch

• Members

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:10 AM

What I meant was - The Storyline was a big factor of the game and it seems unusual that somebody would class the game as good even though they disliked the main plot.

Sorry, but I don't think that view point's as common as you think it is.

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:45 PM

Sorry, but I don't think that view point's as common as you think it is.

Who said I thought it was common?

I'm just saying for me, I would dislike the game if I disliked the plot - I know members who have came here before with similar opinions.

AustinN
  • AustinN

Snitch

• Members

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:27 PM

Well, there are many gamers who consider gameplay paramount. As long as the mechanics are fun, people can forgive a bad plot.

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:43 PM

Well, there are many gamers who consider gameplay paramount. As long as the mechanics are fun, people can forgive a bad plot.

I know there is, I am like that to an extent. I just like a good plot to but the good mechanics to.
Perfection in one person's eyes is different to anothers. ;)

AustinN
  • AustinN

Snitch

• Members

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:26 PM

Yet you said "How can you consider it a good game if you don't like the plot?" First you say you don't understand, and now you're acting like you do? Make up your mind.

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:40 PM

Yet you said "How can you consider it a good game if you don't like the plot?" First you say you don't understand, and now you're acting like you do?

I do understand that people will like the game regardless of the plot. I simply said "how do you think its a good game if you think the plot's awful?" for the reason as I have said I would personally have not enjoyed the game as much if it had a bad plot and would have liked to have known in what ways the person still enjoyed the game.

Make up your mind.

I don't know what you are trying to start but it won't be accepted here.

hornedturtle
  • hornedturtle

Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:47 PM

If I wanted a good story I would read a book/watch a video. I play games for the gameplay. A good game for me adapts the story to fit the gameplay, not the other way around.

Rytuklis
  • Rytuklis

Soldier

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:20 PM

GTA III's storyline was fairly good since it was the first Rockstar and GTA game, not to mention the first 3D open world game to be story driven, so as they say over here in Lithuania - your first pancake is always going to be burnt. The storyline was easy to follow and wasnt too complex, which I liked, you didnt spend lot of time in the cutscenes, the magic of GTA III was in the missions themselves. The only thing that worries me about Donald Love is not the fact that he dissappears, it's just the fact that every single character you work for gets introduced by someone to you, while Donald Love's mission marker just appers there on the minimap out of nowhere. That's the only thing I dont like about Donald Love. But I wont deny, his appearance and sudden disappearance really makes it seem like Rockstars were trying to fill in a hole in the storyline that appeared due to some content being cut.

lol232
  • lol232

We stealin' all da gold!

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:58 PM

Not at all, I liked how it was dark in mysterious, it was rather interesting.
  • Rainbow Party likes this

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:44 PM

I liked how it was dark in mysterious

Another great thing about this game. It truly lives up to it's 'dark and mysterious' setting. I feel that some newer games (not just GTA, but in general), focus too much on other aspects and so do not produce the same affect, making the game seem like it is described.

• Rainbow Party likes this

Niko Vercetti 112
  • Niko Vercetti 112

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:26 AM

No I wouldn't say that the plot is bad at all, if anything it doesn't suffer from a big issue most of the other GTA's do: lack of focus.

The way I saw it, almost every plot line in III somehow managed to link itself back to the entire Catalina/Cartel storyline. I'm not saying that its bad to have stand alone plotlines with little to no relation to the main plot, but in III you were constantly reminded what Claude was fighting for.
  • Filip454 likes this

Rainbow Party
  • Rainbow Party

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:35 AM Edited by Rainbow Party, 16 March 2014 - 03:39 AM.

It had as much plot as a game of this type could need back then and nothing more :p But I actually DID care a little about my objectives and the characters involved so I think it did a decent job. But it was not memorable or emotional or thrilling at all for me, it was just a losely tied sequence of events that try to barely give a reason to the missions you play.
While I didn't care about the plot that much, I think it was heavily aided by excellent cutscene animations and top notch voice acting.

Im2akillerfish
  • Im2akillerfish

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:34 AM

It had a plot? Just kidding. This is the only GTA  I haven't finished, but It's on my list. And this is the only GTA in which I dont care about the plot. I just do what the boss tells me to do, Capiche?  (I dont even know if Capiche fits in there :lol: )

ainsz
  • ainsz

Senor Dickhead

• Members
  • England

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:09 AM

No way. Playing the last mission as a kid, I made it to the end of the dam with 001 health. Two cartel members were waiting at the top of the steps where Maria is. I crept up the stairs and at the top, basically blind fired across with the m-16 and got both of them. Greatest gaming moment ever.

As far as as plot goes, it's a nice revenge story with some decent dialogue and the most varied mission set than any other GTA in my opinion.

Filip454
  • Filip454

TITS OR GTFO

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:03 PM

IMO GTA 3 is really the best game with an ideal plot - it wasn't boring and without too much details about our character. Just perfect and it fits into this dark environment of the first Liberty City.

Don Piano
  • Don Piano

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:37 AM

I believe R* with the whole "1% of the game was changed", GTA was out mere weeks after 9/11

You can't just go around removing and editing huge parts of a game at that point in development without atleast an extra few months in development time. The game was probably about to go gold just when 9/11 happened so it was literally ready to be mass produced/copied/shipped etc

GR Choke
  • GR Choke

Fun Race Creator

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:57 PM

I thought it was 2 short

JeffreyDahmer
  • JeffreyDahmer

Dan Houser Is God

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:25 AM

The Storyline was Solid and as Niko Vercetti said it has a certain Focus about it that the Rest of the games don't Have it was a  simple but good Plot IMO   and it has some Really Memorable Dialogue and Characters to boot good Storyline Great Game. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users