BASIC

10 replies to this topic
Stromae
  • Stromae

Mi Na Badman

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

Well, you all know what BASIC is I hope. It's the ancient programming language, invented in 1963. But recently, I downloaded DOSBox (a DOS emulator) to use QBasic and now I notice how much other coding languages look like BASIC. Of course BASIC has other tags (CLS, PRINT, GOTO, INPUT, etc) but the way it works seems to be the same. So I was wondering if it's still useful to learn some more programming in BASIC?

Barguast
  • Barguast

Thy next foe is...

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

Not really.

Programming languages all evolved from each other, and BASIC was a fairly major stepping stone towards getting us where we are now. It helped make programming accessible to the masses (it was my first language), but it doesn't really offer anything these days in comparison to more modern languages. Even beginners could do better than to start with BASIC as it teaches a lot of bad habits. GOTO being the obvious example.

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:12 AM

QBasic doesn't rely on GOTO. It's there, but it's already considered bad tone to use it. QBasic to BASIC is what Fortran 90 is to FORTRAN 66.

That said, it's still a big waste of time to develop under QBasic. It's slow as drunken snails. The graphics output is basically pixel per frame, because of how graphics output works. And because of limitations of buffers, your ability to use sprites is also going to be very limited. I've actually written some simple 3D code under QBasic back in the day, and the kind of memory hacks that took was unreal.

If you are interested in writing something for DOS, try Digital Mars C++ compiler. Just use Mode 13h for graphics.

Happyness
  • Happyness

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:19 AM

Sorry for bumping the topic and whatnot, but they teach me Basic at school... Jesus what a bunch of f*cktards. (Actually old school, I will hopefully finish school forever this summer!)

But err, they don't teach anything else. Just Basic.... (P.S. I am in Jordan not Romania)

Joe Chip
  • Joe Chip

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:03 AM

QUOTE (Happyness @ Monday, Jun 24 2013, 06:19)
But err, they don't teach anything else. Just Basic.... (P.S. I am in Jordan not Romania)

Educate yourself, homie. C is more simple than C++, but C++ does a lot of things that C doesn't do without extra libraries. If C/C++ is too tough you might try Python until you get the gist of how it works and then move on to C/C++.

Of course there are other languages out there too.

Happyness
  • Happyness

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:45 AM

Thank you.

But, my point is. That in high school I chose the "I.T" profile, and when I went to school, bang, marketing, management, accounting, and some sh*t related to PC which teaches one capitol of BASIC which is a program launched in 1980s. Dumb f*cking ministry of education.

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:30 AM Edited by K^2, 25 June 2013 - 07:32 AM.

To quote a Comp Sci professor in introduction to C++ lecture, "It's ok if you never programmed before. It's much worse if you know BASIC."

There was a time when learning BASIC was useful in about the same way learning JavaScript may be useful today. And if that's all you are ever going to use, you might never need to learn anything else. But if you are going to try for an actual career dealing with programming, learning BASIC or any derivative as the first language is probably more of a setback than anything.

The first experience I had with programming was with MSX BASIC on one of the Yamaha's MSX computers (CX5M, I think.). That influenced a rather warped perception of programming for me which took a while to rectify. Fortunately, I started rather early, so it wasn't a catastrophe. But I can completely understand why any competent programmer will caution against learning with BASIC.

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:30 AM

QUOTE (K^2 @ Tuesday, Jun 25 2013, 18:00)
To quote a Comp Sci professor in introduction to C++ lecture, "It's ok if you never programmed before. It's much worse if you know BASIC."

That I can agree with.

Melchesorge
  • Melchesorge

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:44 AM

It helped make programming accessible to the masses

DarrenC1888
  • DarrenC1888

Celtic FC Manchester United Champions!

• Members

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:15 PM

I have a Commodore 64 and I would like to learn some so this thread is ideal.

Joe Chip
  • Joe Chip

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:24 AM Edited by zoo3891, 26 August 2013 - 12:29 AM.

QUOTE (DarrenC1888 @ Friday, Aug 23 2013, 08:15)
I have a Commodore 64 and I would like to learn some so this thread is ideal.

No, probably not. C64 BASIC is very limited. Here's a C64 assembler tutorial from programmers who do it for a living. It's not complete, but it looks like a good starting place.

If you really truly want to learn Commodore BASIC there are a few tutorials that you can find by googling. Here's one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users