Photo

Michael based on Walter White?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
66 replies to this topic
GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:29 AM Edited by GTA-King, 28 January 2013 - 07:44 AM.

user posted image

user posted image

Both Michael and Walter are very similar, and sometimes I even think that's who R* based his character off of. Here's why:

-Both criminals behind their family's back (possible with Michael)
-Both have apprentices. Michael has Franklin and Walter has Jesse.
-Both around the same age.
-Both have a great passion for what they do best.
-Both are egotistical and have short tempers.
-Both of their character arcs are the same, but mixed around just a little bit.
-Both character have a hard time bonding with their sons sons. Michael's son is a pot smoking slacker, and Walter's son has cerebral palsy. So it make sense that they both have a special bond with their fellow apprentices... because they feed off eachother better.

Also, even Jesse has similarities to Franklin.

-Both have mentors
-Both ambitious
-Both have friends that are holding them back
-Both around the same age

Just seems too close to me. I already know I'm going to enjoy playing as Michael because of these similarities. Also, Ned Luke was following Bryan Cranston (Walter) on Twitter. A bit suspicious imo. icon14.gif

So what do you guys think?

Zee
  • Zee

Shut up, sit down, relax.

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom
  • Comedian of the Year 2011

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:30 AM

Not at all.

JeezoFreak
  • JeezoFreak

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:32 AM

I think you forgot one thing, one cooks meth and one robs banks.

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:35 AM Edited by GTA-King, 28 January 2013 - 06:40 AM.

QUOTE (JeezoFreak @ Monday, Jan 28 2013, 06:32)

Yes, duh. I'm saying they both are good at what they do, and they want to teach their apprentices the trade.

PS. Maybe Trevor teaches Franklin to cook crank, but Michael tries to pull him away from that idea?

JeezoFreak
  • JeezoFreak

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:40 AM

QUOTE (GTA-King @ Monday, Jan 28 2013, 06:35)

Yes, duh. I'm saying they both are good at what they do, and they want to teach their apprentices the trade.

I could say the same thing about Ben Kenobi and Luke Skywalker, it's a common thing.

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:41 AM

In an interview DH said he does not watch BB or The Wire

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:42 AM

QUOTE (JeezoFreak @ Monday, Jan 28 2013, 06:40)

I could say the same thing about Ben Kenobi and Luke Skywalker, it's a common thing.

Yes, but if you look at the other examples, just this one comparison is futile. There are multiple good examples that accurately compare the two.

TJ3046
  • TJ3046

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:42 AM

QUOTE (deffpony @ Monday, Jan 28 2013, 06:41)

This ^ Although The Wire seems like a stretch considering in GTA IV, Dwayne and Playboy X seemed to be carbon copies of Avon Barksdale and Stringer Bell.

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:46 AM Edited by GTA-King, 28 January 2013 - 06:56 AM.

QUOTE (TJ3046 @ Monday, Jan 28 2013, 06:42)

This ^

I personally don't believe this. Dan Houser, being one of the heads of R*, should be very much familiar with pop culture (which all GTA games parody) and Breaking Bad is a big part of pop culture today. I just don't think he's being completely honest.

Plus, you can't sit there and tell me Tommy Vercetti wasn't based off Tony Montana...

JeezoFreak
  • JeezoFreak

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:47 AM

QUOTE (GTA-King @ Monday, Jan 28 2013, 06:42)

Yes, but if you look at the other examples, just this one comparison is futile. There are multiple good examples that accurately compare the two.

Spoiler! Also Walter's wife knows he makes meth and launders money for him through the car wash they own.

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:54 AM

QUOTE (JeezoFreak @ Monday, Jan 28 2013, 06:47)

Spoiler! Also Walter's wife knows he makes meth and launders money for him through the car wash they own.

Another good example! What would Michael's wife do if SHE found out he was a criminal? monocle.gif

Also, both character's sons are flawed. Michael's son is a pot smoking slacker, and Walter's son has cerebral palsy. So it make sense that they both have a special bond with their fellow apprentices... because they feed off eachother better.

-Both have mentors
-Both ambitious

I don't know... as a die hard fan of BB, all these similarities are starting to blow my mind! panic.gif

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:57 AM Edited by deffpony, 28 January 2013 - 06:59 AM.

QUOTE (GTA-King @ Monday, Jan 28 2013, 01:46)

This ^

I personally don't believe this. Dan Houser, being one of the heads of R*, should be very much familiar with pop culture (which all GTA games parody) and Breaking Bad is a big part of pop culture today. I just don't think he's being completely honest.

Plus, you can't sit there and tell me Tommy Vercetti wasn't based off Tony Montana...

Yea he was, but that was never denied. The entire GTA III soundtrack was the same as Scarface.

But DH said he has not seen those shows.
Q. The closest thing to Grand Theft Auto I can think of that someone is doing in a different medium is the work of David Simon, who has tried to capture cities, in “The Wire” but even more so in “Treme.” It’s quite different, but TV is similar in the sense that people spend 30, 40 hours with a show.

A. I haven’t seen “Treme.” I never even saw “The Wire.” One of my weird disciplines is that I don’t really watch a lot of those shows, if they relate to what we do. I only watched a tiny bit of “The Sopranos.” No “Boardwalk Empire.” No “Breaking Bad.” Wherever it’s too close to crime, gangster, underbelly fiction, and it’s supercontemporary, I decided, for professional reasons, I have to avoid it.

Even if he was lying, the points in your post are so generic that they can apply to a thousand other leading roles

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:03 AM Edited by GTA-King, 28 January 2013 - 07:06 AM.

^ Fair enough. Although, Dan Houser is not the only writer you know. BB elements could come from other writers. But as for this statement:

QUOTE (deffpony)
Even if he was lying, the points in your post are so generic that they can apply to a thousand other leading roles

Can you tell me any other role that matches all the comparisons in the OP?

JeezoFreak
  • JeezoFreak

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:06 AM

QUOTE (GTA-King @ Monday, Jan 28 2013, 06:54)

Another good example! What would Michael's wife do if SHE found out he was a criminal? monocle.gif

Also, both character's sons are flawed. Michael's son is a pot smoking slacker, and Walter's son has cerebral palsy. So it make sense that they both have a special bond with their fellow apprentices... because they feed off eachother better.

-Both have mentors
-Both ambitious

I don't know... as a die hard fan of BB, all these similarities are starting to blow my mind! panic.gif

But Walter Jr's condition isn't his fault, Mike's son's "condition" is due to some bad parenting, also more spoilers Jessie is terrified of Walter and wants nothing to do with him anymore, he's afraid at any point he could kill him for some reason. And Jessie doesn't want to make a living making meth anymore

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:08 AM Edited by deffpony, 28 January 2013 - 07:10 AM.

QUOTE (GTA-King @ Monday, Jan 28 2013, 02:03)
^ Fair enough. Although, Dan Houser is not the only writer you know. BB elements could come from other writers. But as for this statement:

QUOTE (deffpony)

Tony Soprano
Denzel-American Gangster
Clay-Sons of Anarchy(except for the behind the families back thing)

Im trying to be nice about this but this is just stupid. Breaking Bad is my favorite show of all time... but it isnt the only story of a good guy gone bad, and old man clinging to control, a bad man with a young prospect

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:08 AM

QUOTE (JeezoFreak @ Monday, Jan 28 2013, 07:06)

-Both have mentors
-Both ambitious

But Walter Jr's condition isn't his fault, Mike's son's "condition" is due to some bad parenting, also more spoilers Jessie is terrified of Walter and wants nothing to do with him anymore, he's afraid at any point he could kill him for some reason. And Jessie doesn't want to make a living making meth anymore

True. I wasn't saying Jr. is to blame for his condition... I was saying both him and Jimmy have flaws. icon14.gif

As true about what's in your spoiler. I can see the same applying with Franklin. icon14.gif

YoungChrist
  • YoungChrist

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:09 AM

I definitely think that Dan Houser was subconsciously inspired by Walter White to make Michael, but based on gameplay and info their character's still seem very different to the point that Michael is not a rip off. For one, Michael doesn't seem like he feels unaccomplished, Walter White on the other hand saw his two friends make billions of the company he decided to sell he shares from. I doubt Michael is slowly dying due to a fatal disease like Walter. Michael seems a lot less depressing. But yeah, those points you brought up definitely do connect the two a bit.

Remi749
  • Remi749

Thug

• Members

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:11 AM

Houser said he never watched Breaking Bad though...

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:12 AM

QUOTE (deffpony @ Monday, Jan 28 2013, 07:08)
QUOTE (GTA-King @ Monday, Jan 28 2013, 02:03)

QUOTE (deffpony)

Tony Soprano
Denzel-American Gangster
Clay-Sons of Anarchy(except for the behind the families back thing)

I knew you would misunderstand me. No, I want you to tell me a character that shares every similarity in the OP... because so far, it's only Walter White from BB.

@YoungChrist: Yes, their backstories are a little different. But so was Tommy's compared to Tony Montana's. They were still very similar though.

@Remi749: Yes he did. But his other writers did not. icon14.gif

JeezoFreak
  • JeezoFreak

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:13 AM

QUOTE (GTA-King @ Monday, Jan 28 2013, 07:08)
QUOTE (JeezoFreak @ Monday, Jan 28 2013, 07:06)

-Both have mentors
-Both ambitious

True. I wasn't saying Jr. is to blame for his condition... I was saying both him and Jimmy have flaws. icon14.gif

As true about what's in your spoiler. I can see the same applying with Franklin. icon14.gif

How could the same be applied to Franklin when we hardly know anything about the character? Also there's one factor you can't draw a comparison too: Trevor. Where does Trevor fit in all of this?

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:13 AM

If you are going to point out the similarities you should also point out the differences.
  • Michael has a long criminal past, where WW has always been good
  • Michael doesnt have a specialty other than robbery experience, where WW is an exper chemist
  • Michael is not terminally ill
  • Michael has hair

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:15 AM Edited by GTA-King, 28 January 2013 - 07:19 AM.

QUOTE (deffpony @ Monday, Jan 28 2013, 07:13)
If you are going to point out the similarities you should also point out the differences.

• Michael doesnt have a specialty other than robbery experience, where WW is an exper chemist

• Michael has hair

I do agree that their character developments are mixed around slightly, and the obvious physical appearances. But their story, and supporting characters, are very similar to the point that it's almost identical (for me anyway).

QUOTE (JeezoFreak)
How could the same be applied to Franklin when we hardly know anything about the character? Also there's one factor you can't draw a comparison too: Trevor. Where does Trevor fit in all of this?

Just by reading the GI article, and other tidbits, we know Franklin's friends are holding him back... and so is Jesse's in BB. As for Trevor, he could be like Mike from BB. He tries to pull Jesse (Franklin) away from Walt (Michael).

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:19 AM

QUOTE (GTA-King @ Monday, Jan 28 2013, 02:15)

• Michael has hair

I do agree that their character developments are mixed around slightly, and the obvious physical appearances. But their story, and supporting characters, are very similar to the point that it's almost identical (for me anyway).

QUOTE (JeezoFreak)

Just by reading the GI article, and other tidbits, we know Franklin's friends are holding him back... and so is Jesse's in BB.

I think you are just bias because you like the show so much.

Some people would contest that Breaking Bad was inspired by Weeds. So there for Michael was inspired from Weeds

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:21 AM

QUOTE (deffpony @ Monday, Jan 28 2013, 07:19)
QUOTE (GTA-King @ Monday, Jan 28 2013, 02:15)

• Michael has hair

QUOTE (JeezoFreak)

Just by reading the GI article, and other tidbits, we know Franklin's friends are holding him back... and so is Jesse's in BB.

I think you are just bias because you like the show so much.

Some people would contest that Breaking Bad was inspired by Weeds. So there for Michael was inspired from Weeds

I don't see how. Just look at all the similarities in the OP. That has to show enough evidence that there is at least SOME references to BB in V.

Showstopper 26
  • Showstopper 26

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:21 AM

Breaking Bad is awesome, but 24 is the greatest of all time.

JeezoFreak
  • JeezoFreak

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:26 AM

QUOTE (GTA-King @ Monday, Jan 28 2013, 07:15)

• Michael has hair

QUOTE (JeezoFreak)

I was talking about what was in my spoiler not applying, and also Michael starts at the beginning of the story already being a criminal, and his wife being a selfish bitch. Walters story story starts with him wanting to cook meth because that's what he thought his only option was to support his family, while slowly being estranged from his wife and son, and also becoming more and more like the criminals he once had to deal with. Also he has a brother in law in the DEA trying to figure out where the hell all the meth is coming from.

Pickle117
  • Pickle117

Busta, straight busta.

• Members

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:30 AM

Nice thoughts OP. I only hope there is enough customization that I can make Michael look like Mr. White. Then I'll go beat people up for my territory.

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:31 AM Edited by deffpony, 28 January 2013 - 07:34 AM.

In my opinion Michael is more like Robert Deniro in Goodfellas. Northeast guy who pulls off big robberies. Ray Liotta is his mentee(Franklin) and Joe Pesci is his crazy psyco friend(Trevor). He can be real chill or unleash his temper.

How do you know Michael has a temper? We have never seen him act any way other than calm and cool. And how are their character arcs similar.

And this one is the biggest one I disagree with

- Both character's sons are flawed. Michael's son is a pot smoking slacker, and Walter's son has cerebral palsy. So it make sense that they both have a special bond with their fellow apprentices... because they feed off eachother better.

If anything Walter Whites son is a voice of reason throughout the show. Yes he is physically handicapped but he always seems to be a source of positivity or even reality check for the family.

Not to mention you are equating someone with a debilitating disorder to a stoner. With that being said, you are a frequent poster in the forums stoner topic. So I guess by your logic you are as uncapable as someone who is handicap??

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:34 AM Edited by GTA-King, 28 January 2013 - 07:38 AM.

QUOTE (JeezoFreak @ Monday, Jan 28 2013, 07:26)
QUOTE (GTA-King @ Monday, Jan 28 2013, 07:15)

• Michael has hair

QUOTE (JeezoFreak)

I was talking about what was in my spoiler not applying, and also Michael starts at the beginning of the story already being a criminal, and his wife being a selfish bitch. Walters story story starts with him wanting to cook meth because that's what he thought his only option was to support his family, while slowly being estranged from his wife and son, and also becoming more and more like the criminals he once had to deal with. Also he has a brother in law in the DEA trying to figure out where the hell all the meth is coming from.

Yeah, like I said, both same stories, only their character arcs are mixed up a bit.Michael was a criminal, than a civilian, and now a criminal again. Walter has always been a civilian, but he turned into a criminal. Both do what they do for different reasons, but both have very similar story structures.

@deffpony: I'm sorry for comparing Jimmy to Walt Jr. Maybe flaw was a bad choice of words. What I'm trying to say is that it is hard for them to bond with their sons because of the traits they have. They bond better with their apprentices. As for where I got the short temper thing, Dan Houser says that about Michael in one of the IGN articles.

ZombLee
  • ZombLee

I ♥ LC

• Members

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:34 AM

QUOTE (GTA-King @ Monday, Jan 28 2013, 06:46)

This ^

big part of pop culture?
stop being so obsessed with Breaking Bad. Is this your first TV drama?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users