GTA Vice City LODs

4 replies to this topic
HM128
  • HM128

alovelyday

• Feroci
  • None
  • Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:06 PM Edited by HackMan128, 25 January 2013 - 02:09 PM.

Due to Search tool treat me as a spammer and I can't find anything in Google site:gtaforums.com, I will put a new topic here because I can't find a solution.
I'm asking about VC LOD system. How it is possible, that few models has only ONE lod file?

There are ways to make a LOD file:
model1.dff
LODel1.dff

but there is a problem:
model1.dff
model2.dff
model3.dff
model4.dff
LODmodelX.dff

I created something like that but LOD won't dissapear. Please help with that, I can't find anything about that.

X-Seti
  • X-Seti

.Retro mod developer. (Currently on break)

• Feroci
  • Mars

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

There are 2 ways to get around this problem of static LODs not being render out.

1. Add map.zon and cull.zon boxes around the new LOD model with a draw dist of about 699.

2. Make the LODs slightly smaller then the original model so it cant be seen.

LODs in VC have always been very buggy and can be a pain to sort out.

HM128
  • HM128

alovelyday

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:33 PM

Thanks, I thought I never get answer smile.gif .

MW_29
  • MW_29

i came to play

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE (HackMan128 @ Friday, Jan 25 2013, 14:06)
Due to Search tool treat me as a spammer and I can't find anything in Google site:gtaforums.com, I will put a new topic here because I can't find a solution.
I'm asking about VC LOD system. How it is possible, that few models has only ONE lod file?

There are ways to make a LOD file:
model1.dff
LODel1.dff

but there is a problem:
model1.dff
model2.dff
model3.dff
model4.dff
LODmodelX.dff

I created something like that but LOD won't dissapear. Please help with that, I can't find anything about that.

Yes, it is made like that i think to not have too many not necessary files, i mean rockstar did it that way: why create LOD files for some range of closely placed models and put every LOD model of such every object into an archive, instead just make one LOD model file which has attached these other nearby terrains/areas LOD models into it, to make one whole piece of terrain but builded as just one single LOD model which provides LOD for all those objects, then just this one of these non-LOD models has it's LOD model file while the rest of nearby objects simply do not. It's kind of economical for engine and archive. You can create LODs this way but remember that the drawing distance is counted from model pivot and not from it's bounds, which really matters in such roundabound modelling/mapping wink.gif

HM128
  • HM128

alovelyday

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:29 AM

Funny thing is, that Liberty City engine (Vice City + LC) doesn't support mapzon. It's sad, I can't make splash screens and put LODs for each island.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users