Star Wars

266 replies to this topic
Wheatley
  • Wheatley

This vertical line, I watch it go by.

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:53 PM

I assume the extra blades act like a hilt or crossguard that exist on a real swords and sabers.  They're suppose to defend against a blade from sliding down onto your hand.

But since lightsabers don't slide off each other, it's pointless. At least Maul's and Dooku's gimmicks made sense.

EverlastingFelineGrayfox.gif

Obi-Wan did it to General Grievous in Episode 3 - so it is possible to vertically slide down a lightsaber in contact with another lightsaber.

• El Diablo, In Bed With Jed and HaythamKenway like this

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Movies/TV] 2013

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:50 PM

A lot of things about lightsabers are unrealistic. Their existence is unrealistic.
  • Irviding and SmokesWithCigs like this

uNi
  • uNi

Feroci

• None
  • Best Official Gang 2014 [Feroci]

Posted 01 December 2014 - 11:03 PM

A lot of things about lightsabers are unrealistic. Their existence is unrealistic.

Pretty much this, just assume it works, it's way easier.

• El Diablo, Irviding and SmokesWithCigs like this

phunkism
  • phunkism

I'm a grill btw

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 December 2014 - 02:45 AM

r8 my new lightsaber design

fAiHsgl.jpg

• NYC PATROL, Shadowlarvitar and Zondar like this

Irviding
  • Irviding

Sing, Sing, Sing - With a Swing??

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:13 AM

So the lightsaber is actually old technology? I am confused  

Mr.Scratch
  • Mr.Scratch

No Sleep Till Broker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:59 AM

Remember how Vader cut Luke's hand off? That's what those guards are for.

Wheatley
  • Wheatley

This vertical line, I watch it go by.

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 02 December 2014 - 03:30 PM Edited by Wheatley, 02 December 2014 - 03:30 PM.

So the lightsaber is actually old technology? I am confused  

Judging from how unstable the lightsaber beam looks - the crystal inside the lightsaber is hand made and imperfect, as if it was homemade. All Sith crystals are created through a process and are manufactured unlike the Jedi crystals - this Sithlord might have tried to replicate the crystal creation process by hand. Unstable crystals cause more damage however can short out randomly - which could be dangerous in a duel.

The design of the hilt itself looks similar to how some of the Sithlord's hilts look in Knights of the Old Republic and The Old Republic. I know that Disney said anything in the EU is non-canon - however from what I read it only counts for anything that's set after Episode VI. The Old Republic Era takes place 3000 years before Obi-Wan was even born, so any events taking place then shouldn't have any effects on what happens in this film.

The "Old Technology" part is referring to how this Sith lord might be thousands of years old, awakened and is now storming around the galaxy causing havoc and their lightsaber reflects this - the lightsaber could be over thousands of years old.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 02 December 2014 - 08:12 PM

• uNi, HaythamKenway, Zello and 1 other like this

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 12 December 2014 - 04:17 AM Edited by darthYENIK, 12 December 2014 - 04:17 AM.

Legit Force Awakens trading cards with character names...

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 12 December 2014 - 04:27 AM

by legit you mean official?

those names are going to be canon?

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 12 December 2014 - 06:49 AM

Yep. That guy is officially Kylo Ren.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Wise old Yardie

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 12 December 2014 - 12:07 PM

Finn, Rey, Kylo and Poe? Could the names be more Emo? I almost expect them to cry in the corner while cutting themselves with a lightsaber.

• krashr and SmokesWithCigs like this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 13 December 2014 - 02:09 AM

name's just a name.

if they're cool they'll be cool.

• krashr likes this

krashr
  • krashr

unleaded

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 December 2014 - 03:33 AM Edited by krashr, 13 December 2014 - 03:34 AM.

i can picture them all sitting at the cantina on their laptops, smoking e-cigs

• Zello and SmokesWithCigs like this

In Bed With Jed
  • In Bed With Jed

=A=

• Angels of Death MC
  • England

Posted 13 December 2014 - 01:20 PM

Finn, Rey, Kylo and Poe? Could the names be more Emo? I almost expect them to cry in the corner while cutting themselves with a lightsaber.

You could put Han and Leia among those names and they would fit. 

• El Diablo, Rown, krashr and 1 other like this

Rown
  • Rown

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:40 AM

I like those names. One my biggest complaints with the now defunct EUrip was that some of the names they came up with sounded ridiculous. Han, Luke, Leia are real names. Finn, Rey, and Poe sound like decent names. MeetraLorn, and Etain? Not so much.

Rown :rampage:

Octavio89
  • Octavio89

Trick

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:54 AM

No spoilers please.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 15 December 2014 - 06:04 AM

Names are not spoilers around here. At least not the way they've been shown.

I'll take this opportunity to say let's make sure real spoilers are tagged. Even if they're widely publicized. Like (hypothetically) if entertainment weekly broke news that Darth Vader would appear in the new movies, that should probably be tagged.
  • El Diablo likes this

Zoobz
  • Zoobz

You Fool

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 2 weeks ago

Some news:

http://www.starwars....linkId=12857863

This morning at the Palace of Fine Arts in San Francisco, across the street from Lucasfilm, Disney chairman and CEO Bob Iger hosted a shareholder meeting where he announced news regarding the first Star Wars stand-alone movie as well as Star Wars: Episode VIII.

Rogue One is the title for the first film in a unique series of big-screen adventures that explores the characters and events beyond the core Star Wars saga. Rogue One will be directed by Gareth Edwards (Monsters, Godzilla) and written by Oscar nominee Chris Weitz (Cinderella, About a Boy, Antz). The first actress cast is Felicity Jones, who garnered an Academy Award nomination and critical acclaim for her performance in The Theory of Everything. The idea for the story of Rogue One came from John Knoll, an Academy Award-winning visual effects supervisor and chief creative officer at Industrial Light & Magic. He will executive produce along with Simon Emanuel (The Dark Knight Rises, Fast & Furious 6) and Jason McGatlin (Tintin, War of the Worlds). Kathleen Kennedy and Tony To (Band of Brothers, The Pacific) are on board to produce and John Swartz (Star Wars: The Force Awakens) will co-produce. The film starts shooting this summer in London and is due for release on December 16, 2016.

In addition, Iger confirmed that Rian Johnson will write and direct Star Wars: Episode VIII. The film, which continues the saga after the events of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, is set for release on May 26, 2017 — forty years and a day after the release of Star Wars: A New Hope in 1977. Johnson is widely considered one of cinema’s most gifted young filmmakers, having directed the modern sci-fi classic, Looper, as well as Brick and The Brothers Bloom. He was also behind the camera for three episodes of the critically-acclaimed TV series Breaking Bad, including “Ozymandias,” which series creator Vince Gilligan named as the best installment of the show. Kathleen Kennedy and Ram Bergman, producer of Looper, Don Jon, Brick, and The Brothers Bloom, are on board to produce, and J.J. Abrams will serve as executive producer.

• El Diablo and krashr like this

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

It better be about Wedge Antilles.
  • El Diablo, Ottae and rhyn like this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 2 weeks ago

they can start with Wedge as long as they eventually get around to telling the great tale of Jek Porkins.

• Tchuck and Ottae like this

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Order. Purpose. Direction.

• Members
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 2 weeks ago

While people are all excited about the Rogue Squadron movie and possible Han Solo/Boba Fett/"insert random OT thing here" spinoffs, I can't help myself, but to hope for Disney to not abandon the prequel era. I know Clone Wars dominated the Star Wars media for years and bled well into this decade, long after the trilogy ended, with the TV show and other EU works, but still want to see more of it, especially on the big screen. I have a certain kind of fondness for the era, no matter that only RotS can be put on the same level as OT movies.

Seriously, a single Obi-Wan spinoff, with Ewan McGregor reprising the role would make me much happier than ten Boba Fett movies.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 2 weeks ago

Give me a Knights of the Old Republic tale, please! Mandalorian crusades, the rise and fall of Revan etc. So much to work with. But I suppose they made it all non-canon, no? :(

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Order. Purpose. Direction.

• Members
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 2 weeks ago

It is still not canon at this point. But it's just a matter of time until KotOR gets re-canonized, it's just too popular to remain in Legends canon and writers like Luceno have already started bringing back things from the old EU. Hell, it almost was canon already, as they wanted to give Revan a cameo in TCW.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

I'm sure they are going to pick and choose which parts of the EU are canon. The more popular things like KOTOR will mostly be the same. The more obscure things, or things that don't fit the story of the new movies will stay non-canon.

RARusk
  • RARusk

The Man With No Avatar

• Members

Posted 6 days ago

Shadowlarvitar
  • Shadowlarvitar

Proud Saints Row Fanboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 5 days ago

I'm more excited for Rebels season 2 than Episode VII and Rogue