138 replies to this topic
darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:13 PM

Disney has changed in the last 30 years. Sure they don't make R-rated movies, but there's nothing in the core of Star Wars that Disney would object to. I mean the worst language in all six movies is when Han Solo says, "Then I'll see you in Hell!" when he rides out to look for Luke on Hoth. And there is some decapitation and dismemberment, but it's not bloody, and really not that bad.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

QUOTE (darthYENIK @ Wednesday, Jan 30 2013, 01:13)
Disney has changed in the last 30 years.  Sure they don't make R-rated movies, but there's nothing in the core of Star Wars that Disney would object to.  I mean the worst language in all six movies is when Han Solo says, "Then I'll see you in Hell!" when he rides out to look for Luke on Hoth.  And there is some decapitation and dismemberment, but it's not bloody, and really not that bad.

They would definitely object to Luke and Leia kissing.

twinkiller
  • twinkiller

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:08 AM

I am pretty excited for the new movies. I just hope they don't suck like the prequels, even though I thought episode 3 was pretty good. Can you imagine the lens flare when the lightsabers go on? We will all probably go blind!

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:13 AM

QUOTE (DeeperRed @ Tuesday, Jan 29 2013, 19:00)
QUOTE (finn4life @ Tuesday, Jan 29 2013, 22:55)
^These kinds of things could possibly ruin a lot of things in the films.

I tend to stay clear of anything that has "Disney" attached to it. I can imagine too many producers getting involved in the creative process for the sake of retaining profit rather then furthering the art.

Thank you.

I almost wouldn't mind the franchise being sold and re booted so much but...Disney???

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:46 AM

Have you guys not seen Pirates of the Caribbean? Tron? Or I dunno, how about Down and Out in Beverly Hills? Oh yeah, Disney owns Touchstone. Disney owns Marvel comics, where Ultimate Quicksilver was Ultimately banging - not just a little peck - his Ultimate sister.

I think what a lot of you crusty little monkeys need to understand is that Lucasfilm is still the studio making Star Wars.

Disney has their family friendly imprint. But they make a lot of good sh*t. They made LOST, for f*ck's sake. Sheesh.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:54 AM

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Tuesday, Jan 29 2013, 15:43)
Disney has changed in the last 30 years. Sure they don't make R-rated movies, but there's nothing in the core of Star Wars that Disney would object to. I mean the worst language in all six movies is when Han Solo says, "Then I'll see you in Hell!" when he rides out to look for Luke on Hoth. And there is some decapitation and dismemberment, but it's not bloody, and really not that bad.

Do you know that for a fact? And would it be such a loss?

And once again, I'm pretty sure most people worried about Disney are uninformed, or ignorant of what Walt Disney Pictures is actually like. Disney is a pretty good name to have behind a movie. Look at the Avengers. I'm pretty sure the only thing that Disney forced on Joss Whedon for the Avengers was making the movie 3D. Which is reasonable, because they own the "Real D" tech, and they get to charge extra for admission, and it didn't really effect the end product.

The bottom line is, Lucasfilm/Bad Robot are still making the movie. Disney is just producing it, as in paying for it. Kathleen Kennedy, JJ Abrams, and Bryan Burk (Abrams' producing partner), are the people at the head of the movie. Those are three really good names to have producing (as in doing the actual job of a producer) any movie. This movie is in better hands than any of the previous Star Wars movies have ever been in.

EDIT: Otter beat me to it.

DeeperRed
  • DeeperRed

Damn it feels good to be gangsta

• Zaibatsu

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:57 AM Edited by DeeperRed, 30 January 2013 - 03:07 AM.

Otter, it's a worry. Not a complete conviction against Disney. Unfortunately, for me personally, they are sort of guilty until proven innocent company. I am just saying they have good potential to f*ck it up. They f*cked up Pirates of the Caribbean (In my opinion), with milking it. Star Wars is in a temperamental state as it is, it has to be handled with such care and love for the fan base, more so then George Lucas can provide. It all depends on Dinseys involvement, and what/if they decide to handle.

Just to say as well Dinsey has proven me wrong on multiple occasions. I wasn't expecting much from Wreck-it Ralph, but it was great.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:12 AM

Thanks guys...I feel a little better.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:22 AM

Not a complete conviction of Disney... After you just said you tend to steer clear of anything attached to Disney? tounge.gif

What I, and I think darth, are trying to say is that Disney actually owns and funds a lot of things that you probably hadn't ever considered to be 'Disney'.

They make some of the best stuff out there. Seriously.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:23 AM

QUOTE (Otter @ Tuesday, Jan 29 2013, 20:22)
What I, and I think darth, are trying to say is that Disney actually owns and funds a lot of things that you probably hadn't ever considered to be 'Disney'.

the man has a point.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:41 AM

QUOTE (Otter @ Tuesday, Jan 29 2013, 19:22)
Not a complete conviction of Disney... After you just said you tend to steer clear of anything attached to Disney? tounge.gif

I wasn't completely saying that, but I completely agree with it. Look at Miramax. Pulp Fiction and every Miramax production from '93 to '05 was technically backed by Disney.

stu
  • stu

I drink it up

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

Wow, I never realised Disney had such a broad portfolio. Star Wars has hardly been the most graphic film franchise though, so even if Disney were to meddle, it wouldn't exactly restrict it that much compared to the previous films. I mean it's not like we'll be going from Django Unchained to Sesame Street is it.

I'm sure we'll still have the hard hitting content which really pushes boundaries, like younglings getting slaughtered and CGI fish eating CGI fish eating CGI fish.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE (darthYENIK @ Wednesday, Jan 30 2013, 04:54)

It wouldn't be a loss. I'm just saying. And I don't have a problem with Disney at all. I quite like what they've been doing in the past several years. Hell, LOST is still my favorite show of all time.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:11 AM

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Wednesday, Jan 30 2013, 09:34)
QUOTE (darthYENIK @ Wednesday, Jan 30 2013, 04:54)

It wouldn't be a loss. I'm just saying. And I don't have a problem with Disney at all. I quite like what they've been doing in the past several years. Hell, LOST is still my favorite show of all time.

...not blood related brother and sister, but hey, if brother on sister action is what you're afraid to lose...

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:05 AM

I always hated that scene.

Rown
  • Rown

weltvolkzeit

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:14 AM

Spin-offs on the horizon.

Specific character stories sounds a bit like what went on with the Marvel material. That said... this could be really good. I'd seen an article earlier speculating on a Yoda spin-off. I do kinda wonder what he did earlier on his near-millenium of life. Boba Fett was another name dropped in speculation. Though this could also focus on any new characters they bring to the table. Here's hoping Disney does it right.

Rown rampage_ani.gif

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:03 PM

May as well put this here: http://www.guardian....yoda-maker-dies

Stuart Freeborn, the British pioneering movie makeup artist behind creatures such as Yoda and Chewbacca in the Star Wars films, has died. He was 98.

A sad day this is. Missed he will be.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:50 AM

As long as Frank Oz lives, so does Yoda.

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

QUOTE (Rown @ Wednesday, Feb 6 2013, 14:14)

Specific character stories sounds a bit like what went on with the Marvel material. That said... this could be really good. I'd seen an article earlier speculating on a Yoda spin-off. I do kinda wonder what he did earlier on his near-millenium of life. Boba Fett was another name dropped in speculation. Though this could also focus on any new characters they bring to the table. Here's hoping Disney does it right.

Rown rampage_ani.gif

I hope to god they do not do Boba Fett, he is the biggest badass ever, I don't want his image from the book butchered! sad.gif

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:58 PM

QUOTE (finn4life @ Friday, Feb 8 2013, 04:24)
QUOTE (Rown @ Wednesday, Feb 6 2013, 14:14)

Rown rampage_ani.gif

I hope to god they do not do Boba Fett, he is the biggest badass ever, I don't want his image from the book butchered! sad.gif

Could not disagree more with you. 'Boba Fett: the movie' needs to be seen. He was a fan favorite before books were written about him, he'll be one after the movie still.

Loman
  • Loman

Chicken Pot Chicken Pot Chicken Pot Piiiiie

• Members

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

I think I would rather see "Han vs Boba: The movie" than separate stories for each.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:17 PM Edited by Typhus, 08 February 2013 - 08:24 PM.

Am I the only one who'd want a Jango Fett movie instead? Showing his exploits as a bounty hunter, whilst at the same time trying to raise his son, would be a unique twist for a Star Wars movie.

But beyond that, I think the movies need a storyline in which Palpatine is the good guy. As Emperor, facing a threat from someone even more evil and twisted than himself, forcing him to defend his people - obviously by sending out a new character to represent the Empire and crush the new threat.
I'm talking about a Ramsay Bolton level of evil here. Someone who will make Palpatine and the Sith seem charming and benign by comparison. It's always bugged me how the Emperor brings peace and order to the galaxy yet is maligned as an evil, demonic force for simply holding a different perspective on spirituality. I think he needs a few moments that show him in a more positive light.

Or perhaps a story which shows the Rebels becoming tyrants in their own right after callously destroying the entire fabric of society on the flimsy pretext of 'liberty'.

Rown
  • Rown

weltvolkzeit

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:42 PM Edited by Rown, 08 February 2013 - 09:50 PM.

QUOTE (Typhus @ Friday, Feb 8 2013, 14:17)
Am I the only one who'd want a Jango Fett movie instead? Showing his exploits as a bounty hunter, whilst at the same time trying to raise his son, would be a unique twist for a Star Wars movie.

But beyond that, I think the movies need a storyline in which Palpatine is the good guy. As Emperor, facing a threat from someone even more evil and twisted than himself, forcing him to defend his people - obviously by sending out a new character to represent the Empire and crush the new threat.
I'm talking about a Ramsay Bolton level of evil here. Someone who will make Palpatine and the Sith seem charming and benign by comparison. It's always bugged me how the Emperor brings peace and order to the galaxy yet is maligned as an evil, demonic force for simply holding a different perspective on spirituality. I think he needs a few moments that show him in a more positive light.

Or perhaps a story which shows the Rebels becoming tyrants in their own right after callously destroying the entire fabric of society on the flimsy pretext of 'liberty'.

A Jango outing in film would be awesome. Some stuff has been done in comics and video games (Bounty Hunter was a good time) but to have him fleshed out on the big screen would be a lot of fun.

As to Palpatine: I thought there was some toying with the idea that Palpatine actually created the Imperial war machine to prepare the galaxy for the Yuuzhan Vong (EU stuff but still). Snuffing out the Jedi was just a bonus by that logic. I do sympathize with your line of logic on the rebels just sort of screwing things up but the price of peace under the Empire was a bit much. The brutality of Tarkin and others was over the top. You capture the Senator of a planet acting as a spy... so you blow up the planet? Really? There are also counts of unjust discriminations among other things but I'm not comfortable enough with the material to make the argument.

Rown rampage_ani.gif

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:03 PM

Even if the price of peace was heavy, Palpatine still established peace. And that is a great accomplishment, isn't it?
So isn't it therefore wrong for the series to call him 'evil'? He was a manipulator, for sure, but it doesn't alter the fact that the Empire gave people security and Palpatine himself was described in offshoot literature as being a patron of the arts.
I just think any new film needs to make his character far more complex and try to make him somewhat nuanced and sympathetic.

They tried this in Episode III, if I recall. After Anakin got sliced up, Palpatine personally goes to see him and appears genuinely concerned. But then they show him openly laughing at Vader when he finds out that he killed his idiot wife, so I don't know what they were going for confused.gif
But how about showing some consistency this time? With Palpatine in power, he has no need to be so manipulative. We can see him being benevolent to his people, even kind.
I just despise this moral absolutism in the series that dictates that the Sith are evil simply because George Lucas says they are. The Sith philosophy espoused by Palpatine always seemed a Hell of a lot more decent than the monastic, preachy Jedi who placed themselves above the government and the people.

But your example of the Vong is a good one. Looking up their characters and how they're both religious zealots and Luddites, I think they would make a truly terrifying force in the new movies - forcing the Empire to protect its citizens from this outside threat.

And I'm glad to find a fellow fan of Jango smile.gif
At the very least, I hope he can appear via flashbacks if Boba gets his own movie. Showing the bond between father and son and how his brutal murder transformed Fett into the man he became.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:45 PM

You know Typhus, Star Wars was always a kids movie more than anything else. You're criticizing a children's movie for being a classic tale of good vs evil. I would like a more mature approach with new ones. Hopefully now when it's out of Lucas' hands the series will finally grow.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:29 AM

I think it would make sense to make a movie that stars both Boba and Jango Fett. Show both growing up and since Boba's a direct clone of Jango so it would be interesting to show the differences and similarities of how they became the bounty hunters we know.

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:48 AM

Alright Boba Fett in a movie would actually be pretty cool. However I don't want to see Boba Fett as a kid since he's just another clone and the reason Boba Fett is so cool is that he has that mystery around him, where he came from was kinda ruined in episode II but how he got to where he was is still mysterious and fun, and I don't really know exactly what they could write about.

A Jango Fett story with minimal Boba could be interesting for sure though.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

I'm the writer.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [Expression]

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:48 PM

It's going to have way too much CGI in it. Ultimately, I believe Star Wars will begin to turn into a f*cking disgrace as further influences dilute it for what it was.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:29 AM

QUOTE (Ziggy455 @ Sunday, Mar 10 2013, 06:48)
It's going to have way too much CGI in it. Ultimately, I believe Star Wars will begin to turn into a f*cking disgrace as further influences dilute it for what it was.

There's no way there is going to be more CGI than the prequels, or that it'll be any worse story or direction wise.

Abrams appreciates location filming, unlike Lucas, which that alone brings up the quality.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

I'm the writer.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [Expression]

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:57 AM

QUOTE (darthYENIK @ Monday, Mar 11 2013, 04:29)
QUOTE (Ziggy455 @ Sunday, Mar 10 2013, 06:48)

There's no way there is going to be more CGI than the prequels, or that it'll be any worse story or direction wise.

Abrams appreciates location filming, unlike Lucas, which that alone brings up the quality.

Remember Super 8 and Cloverfield? I sure do. CGI-Fest. Good films, but the CGI was very noticeable.

Also, check this out. Not sure if it's real or not, but it's pretty cool.

user posted image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users