185 replies to this topic
darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:04 AM

I feel it's right to make an official topic now, that they've finally found a director.

J.J. Abrams set to direct Star Wars

J.J. Abrams will direct the next "Star Wars" film for Disney, taking stewardship of one of Hollywood's most iconic and lucrative film franchises, an individual with knowledge of the production told TheWrap.

How f*cking awesome is J.J. Abrams. Star Trek and Star Wars? I for one, am excited. I was worried, but now with Abrams in the director's chair, I'm confident Star Wars will regain it's throne to being the greatest Sci-fi movie franchise of all time.

Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:20 AM

Still pretty sceptical. The prequel trilogy was not that great and the original trilogy is just a masterpiece in its own right so I'll have to keep my eyes open for this new trilogy.

S5L3T0
  • S5L3T0

Trick

• Members

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:32 AM

Do you guys know any plot details yet? I literally just heard about this.

Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:33 AM

QUOTE (S5L3T0 @ Friday, Jan 25 2013, 03:32)

Nothing yet. Just it's supposed to bring back Han, Luke and Princess Leia from the original trilogy -- and well it's supposed to expand the original trilogy.

S5L3T0
  • S5L3T0

Trick

• Members

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:35 AM

QUOTE (Indi @ Friday, Jan 25 2013, 02:33)

Nothing yet. Just it's supposed to bring back Han, Luke and Princess Leia from the original trilogy -- and well it's supposed to expand the original trilogy.

NOOOOOO
Cant they just let a masterpeice remain a masterpeice?

Loman
  • Loman

Chicken Pot Chicken Pot Chicken Pot Piiiiie

• Members

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:37 AM

I thought his star trek movie would have been better as a star wars movie. It just didn't feel like trek to me (not that it wasn't a good movie).
I'm looking forward to star trek into darkness and this new star wars. Its kind of weird having both trek and wars with the same director though lol.

Ive heard that star trek is returning to tv (where it belongs) with Captain Worf in the near future, so I wonder if this might be the last of JJ's trek work.

Nopheros
  • Nopheros

Shrimp Fried Rice

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:51 AM

J.J. Abrams oh yeah. He is the creator of LOST right? These sequels is going to be much better than the prequels cool.gif

Mr.Scratch
  • Mr.Scratch

The Business

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:12 AM

user posted image
Lens flares...everywhere.

Slingaa
  • Slingaa

Unbowed, unbent, unbroken.

• Members

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:13 AM

QUOTE (Indi @ Friday, Jan 25 2013, 03:33)

The Star Wars Expanded Universe is huge and there's so much potential, Disney should let sleeping dogs lie and make a film centered around the Old Republic!

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• Members
  • Jamaica
  • Yardie Achievement Award

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

I didn't mind the use of lens flares in Star Trek reboot. I quite like lens flares in sci-fi. And J.J. is a good director. Very creative. I think he can do a good job.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

QUOTE (Slingaa @ Friday, Jan 25 2013, 00:13)

The Star Wars Expanded Universe is huge and there's so much potential, Disney should let sleeping dogs lie and make a film centered around the Old Republic!

I don't think they'll be the lead characters. The best rumor is that the movies will focus on their kids, who are a big part of the EU. Bigger than the Old Republic.

fridaynightscream
  • fridaynightscream

Just an average gamer.

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:23 AM

I was hoping for Joss Whedon, but JJ Abrams was my 2nd choice behind him so I'm happy!

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:40 AM

There is nothing about any of this that is going to make me happy or even remotely accept what is happening with Star Wars. Sorry...

But because I try not to be a total dick head in my aging years - I hope the future of the franchise is cool and continues to entertain and fascinate the minds of the kids who go to see the 'new' Star Wars movies.

I had my time with the franchise...my generation does not own Star Wars(although we should).

Niko Vercetti 112
  • Niko Vercetti 112

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

Despite the hatred towards the prequels, I quite enjoyed them (not as much as the originals though). But I'm skeptical about these ones (even if it's by the creator of LOST, my favourite show). The first six are their own story, which was wrapped up in Return on the Jedi. So it seems weird the have 2/3 of the series devoted to one story, and the rest to something un-related.

Hecate
  • Hecate

I am for the air.

• NATO
  • Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

Suppose this is as good a place as any to plug RedLetterMedia's hilarious deconstruction/review/sh*tting on of the prequels. I've been rewatching them all week and I forgot how damn funny they are, as well as eloquently breaking down why they are some of the worst films this generation.

I'm looking forward to the new trilogy. Abrams is a competent director and if anyone could revive the series it'd be him. I hope Disney grants him a lot of freedom and that they keep George Lucas' sweaty little palms as far away as possible.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• Members
  • Jamaica
  • Yardie Achievement Award

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

Lens flare joke is a thing of the past. I just heard someone say Jar Jar Abrams biggrin.gif

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

QUOTE (trip @ Friday, Jan 25 2013, 16:40)
There is nothing about any of this that is going to make me happy or even remotely accept what is happening with Star Wars.  Sorry...

But because I try not to be a total dick head in my aging years - I hope the future of the franchise is cool and continues to entertain and fascinate the minds of the kids who go to see the 'new' Star Wars movies. 

I had my time with the franchise...my generation does not own Star Wars(although we should).

Abrams is still from your generation, isn't he? So technically you still own it.

@GTAvanja, it was meant to be.

To add to my love for Abrams, the more I think about it, the more I love that he's directing it. He's untouchable right now. He can not do wrong.

And the thought of this...
user posted image
...being in the titles After the Disney logo, and before the Lucasfilm logo, is exciting.

Just another thought. My favorite app in the world is Action Movie FX, which is a Bad Robot production. So in a couple years, I expect to see Action Movie FX: Star Wars edition.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:48 AM

user posted image

DOOM!
  • DOOM!

yessir

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:12 AM

QUOTE (trip @ Saturday, Jan 26 2013, 00:40)
There is nothing about any of this that is going to make me happy or even remotely accept what is happening with Star Wars. Sorry...

What's happening with Star Wars besides a new movie? Do you dislike the novels/shows and (awesome)games that are based off of the Star Wars universe?

I think 'milking' a name of a franchise is petty, but the Star Wars universe is largely detailed did you remotely think that the movies would stop years ago? I've never been a big fan of Star Wars, I put more time into Star Wars : The Old Republic (1&2) than watching the movies. I'm pretty confident that I haven't even seen all of the Star Wars movies.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

user posted image

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

QUOTE (darthYENIK @ Friday, Jan 25 2013, 10:26)

I don't think they'll be the lead characters. The best rumor is that the movies will focus on their kids, who are a big part of the EU. Bigger than the Old Republic.

...but not canon, so it can go pretty much anywhere!

Ryda King
  • Ryda King

Nevags Gordo Scrotorum

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

We have a new director and a new era, therefore we should have a new story. Let Luke, Leia and Han have cameos, but symbolically "pass the lightsaber" to a new star. I'm pretty sure Mark Hamill is tired of it and wants to put it to rest.

We have a ton of stories in SW games alone to make a new franchise like KOTOR, Jedi Knight, Republic Commando, etc. As someone who grew up with Star Wars, I'm excited to see what's gonna happen with episode 7. Especially in 2015. Can you imagine the technology by then? Hopefully JJ doesn't turn into a CGI whore like Lucas though. Use it right, but don't overdo it.

Personally, I think KOTOR and KOTOR II would make great films.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

QUOTE (Otter @ Monday, Jan 28 2013, 09:23)

Nothing but the films, and the CGI Clone Wars TV show was canon, and even at times Lucas didn't seem to want the clone wars to be canon. It was all up in his head what counted as canon or not, and he'd change his mind. One year he'd say, yeah Shadows of the Empire, that's canon. Then he'd take it back. The original Clone Wars cartoon by Genndy Tartakovsky was 100% canon as said by Lucas. But suddenly said, forget that, the new Clone Wars is the canon.

Of course now everything will be considered canon. Which is not a bad thing. Everything from the Yuuzhan Vong to SOTE to Darth Caedus, if it fits in the story of the movies, it could be used in the new trilogy. But to me and most longtime fans, we were always promised nine movies before Lucas again changed his mind. It makes sense to keep the Skywalker family the main focus of the franchise.

LifeWithScissors
  • LifeWithScissors

Veni Vidi Vici

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

Haven't seen Star Wars movies in a while. Currently sticking with Clone Wars and some of comics. I hope that the new Star Wars movie won't be sh*t. We all know that the old Star Wars movies were masterpieces.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE (darthYENIK @ Monday, Jan 28 2013, 11:35)
QUOTE (Otter @ Monday, Jan 28 2013, 09:23)

Nothing but the films, and the CGI Clone Wars TV show was canon, and even at times Lucas didn't seem to want the clone wars to be canon. It was all up in his head what counted as canon or not, and he'd change his mind. One year he'd say, yeah Shadows of the Empire, that's canon. Then he'd take it back. The original Clone Wars cartoon by Genndy Tartakovsky was 100% canon as said by Lucas. But suddenly said, forget that, the new Clone Wars is the canon.

Of course now everything will be considered canon. Which is not a bad thing. Everything from the Yuuzhan Vong to SOTE to Darth Caedus, if it fits in the story of the movies, it could be used in the new trilogy. But to me and most longtime fans, we were always promised nine movies before Lucas again changed his mind. It makes sense to keep the Skywalker family the main focus of the franchise.

It does make sense, but I'd be wary of setting your heart on seeing anything from the EU. I wonder if JJ "oompa loompa chewbacca" would sign up for something that's already so plotted-out.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:56 AM

That's true. I'm thinking they'll work something out where they'll allude to the "greatest hits" of the post-ROTJ EU, but not something that's already been written. We'll probably see the Skywalker and Solo kids, clone Palpatine, Jedi Academy, and hopefully Boba Fett after escaping the pit of Carkoon.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

I just don't want my perceptions of character warped by new character faces.

buzbegone
  • buzbegone

• Members

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

QUOTE (Tyler @ Saturday, Jan 26 2013, 18:56)
Abrams is a competent director and if anyone could revive the series it'd be him. I hope Disney grants him a lot of freedom

Unlikely. The 'incest' factor in the original (Luke-Leia pash) would've never been allowed had Disney been at the reins. They're a bit funny on this whole issue what with trying to upkeep the 'family-friendly' image.
Fun fact: Robert Zemeckis (director of BTTF) approached Disney with a Back To the Future script but was rejected due to the 'Sitting in a parked car' scene.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

^These kinds of things could possibly ruin a lot of things in the films.

DeeperRed
  • DeeperRed

Damn it feels good to be gangsta

• Members

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

QUOTE (finn4life @ Tuesday, Jan 29 2013, 22:55)
^These kinds of things could possibly ruin a lot of things in the films.

I tend to stay clear of anything that has "Disney" attached to it. I can imagine too many producers getting involved in the creative process for the sake of retaining profit rather then furthering the art.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users