Photo

Your opinion about my art

20 replies to this topic
YouthGamer
  • YouthGamer

Snitch

• Members

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:45 AM

I'm very curious to know what people here think about my art.

-Thanks

user posted image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

user posted image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:50 AM

Uninspired and mundane.
Anyone can draw bottles.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Pent Kaul

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:13 AM

Beats the hell out of anything I can draw. Well done, amigo icon14.gif cookie.gif

Kifflom112
  • Kifflom112

I like to spam

• Members

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:17 AM

QUOTE (Typhus @ Wednesday, Jan 23 2013, 19:50)
Uninspired and mundane.
Anyone can draw bottles.

Sir, are you frikkin' kidding me? confused.gif

Disregard him. I think it,looks pretty good. You should try drawing more stuff. biggrin.gif

Joe Chip
  • Joe Chip

Big Homie

• Members
  • Palau

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:20 AM Edited by zoo3891, 24 January 2013 - 02:23 AM.

The first one looks a little sloppy to me, I don't know if there's an exact word for it but the transitions/shading look really rough, almost like a child's colored picture. If you could smooth it out and shade a lot better it'd look a million times better.

Can't really judge the second one, but if you were going for tiny furniture it could also use a bit of smoothing out. (edit: The black couch looks great though.)

All around it looks like you left both of these things unfinished.

Kifflom112
  • Kifflom112

I like to spam

• Members

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:31 AM

I think the artwork looks fairly good. It's not perfect but it's okay.
There are a few issues but I don't know how to correctly point those out as I'm not too big on art. It's not bad. I don't see why people would think so when most people draw like crap or can't even draw a straight line. It also does not look like no kid colored it. Seriously, that's an exaggeration, a big one.

YouthGamer
  • YouthGamer

Snitch

• Members

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:33 AM

QUOTE (Kifflom112 @ Thursday, Jan 24 2013, 02:31)
There are a few issues but I don't know how to correctly point those out as I'm not too big on art. It's not bad. I don't see why people would think so when most people draw like crap or can't even draw a straight line. It also does not look like no kid colored it. Seriously, that's an exaggeration, a big one.

appreciate it man

DP Man
  • DP Man

GH3O ▲SS

• Members

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:44 AM

I guess I dig the shading and sh*t however drawing bottles is incredibly boring.

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:49 AM

Those are great! The tube at the back almost looks real.

YouthGamer
  • YouthGamer

Snitch

• Members

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:24 AM

QUOTE (DP Man @ Thursday, Jan 24 2013, 02:44)
I guess I dig the shading and sh*t however drawing bottles is incredibly boring.

didnt mean to bore you, it was a college application requirement wink.gif

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:47 AM

Just a tip. Invest in some of these.
user posted image

Will make your shading a lot better. Can't comment on the other stuff as I am really only a paper art kind of person. 2d stuff.

JRZ
  • JRZ

Real Horrorshow

• Members

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:29 AM Edited by JRZ, 24 January 2013 - 09:32 AM.

Actually, drawing a straight line isn't really as easy as it sounds.

That said, I can point out a few positive and negative points (from an industrial designer's perspective):

+ Your graphical perspective is relatively good (lines converging towards the vanishing points), although some things are a bit off.
+ Your use of ellipses is also quite good, but not perfect and a bit wobbly in some places. A lot of people tend to give the edges of their ellipses sharp corners when trying to draw in perspective (which is incorrect), but you have drawn them the correct way with fully rounded sides.
+ The way you have shown the transparent materials is relatively good, and the little detail of the color in the shadow of the yellow liquid is a nice touch.
+ The little models are a nice way of exploring ideas in 3D. Many professional designers create rough models like those before moving on to a more detailed model. The designer terminology for your models would be "sketch models", and they are very valuable in the design process.
- Your shadows and shading could use a bit of work (the shadow of the green box should meet on the opposite side of the front face from where it begins, not in the middle of the box).
- The overall look of the sketches is quite..... sketchy, any maybe even borderline messy. That might be a style choice, but I think you could give the shapes more impact by adding a nice dark line along the bottom of the shapes and maybe along one side to get them to seem like they're popping off the page rather than blending in with it.
- The shadows should also be darkest where they meet the object that is casting them, the shadows can then become gradually lighter as you get farther from the object (this change in darkness will differ depending on the light source that you are trying to represent), there are also some exceptions to this rule when dealing with glass or other transparent materials.
- The models do look a little messy also, but that is to be expected if they are sketch models.

Note, the messy look of the sketches might be due to your choice of medium. Is that just plain pencil crayon?
If you are serious about art or design I would suggest picking up some quality Verithins, and maybe some real art markers and a pad and try experimenting with those. You can also try NuPastels, which can be great for smooth shading if you know how to use them.
It also looks like the sketchbook you are using has paper which is quite coarse. If you want your sketches to have crisp edges and smooth shading, I would suggest you also try experimenting on smooth paper.

Good Luck!

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

Great post ^. Great tips for the OP. icon14.gif

YouthGamer
  • YouthGamer

Snitch

• Members

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

QUOTE (JRZ @ Thursday, Jan 24 2013, 09:29)

That said, I can point out a few positive and negative points (from an industrial designer's perspective):

+ Your graphical perspective is relatively good (lines converging towards the vanishing points), although some things are a bit off.
+ Your use of ellipses is also quite good, but not perfect and a bit wobbly in some places. A lot of people tend to give the edges of their ellipses sharp corners when trying to draw in perspective (which is incorrect), but you have drawn them the correct way with fully rounded sides.
+ The way you have shown the transparent materials is relatively good, and the little detail of the color in the shadow of the yellow liquid is a nice touch.
+ The little models are a nice way of exploring ideas in 3D. Many professional designers create rough models like those before moving on to a more detailed model. The designer terminology for your models would be "sketch models", and they are very valuable in the design process.
- Your shadows and shading could use a bit of work (the shadow of the green box should meet on the opposite side of the front face from where it begins, not in the middle of the box).
- The overall look of the sketches is quite..... sketchy, any maybe even borderline messy. That might be a style choice, but I think you could give the shapes more impact by adding a nice dark line along the bottom of the shapes and maybe along one side to get them to seem like they're popping off the page rather than blending in with it.
- The shadows should also be darkest where they meet the object that is casting them, the shadows can then become gradually lighter as you get farther from the object (this change in darkness will differ depending on the light source that you are trying to represent), there are also some exceptions to this rule when dealing with glass or other transparent materials.
- The models do look a little messy also, but that is to be expected if they are sketch models.

Note, the messy look of the sketches might be due to your choice of medium. Is that just plain pencil crayon?
If you are serious about art or design I would suggest picking up some quality Verithins, and maybe some real art markers and a pad and try experimenting with those. You can also try NuPastels, which can be great for smooth shading if you know how to use them.
It also looks like the sketchbook you are using has paper which is quite coarse. If you want your sketches to have crisp edges and smooth shading, I would suggest you also try experimenting on smooth paper.

Good Luck!

wait hold on, you're an industrial designer? Wow dude Its actually my dream and passion to be one
im so surprised there is one on this forum I never expected it.
I applied to humber and I just made my portfolio, and if you're interested in my other project as well
I made this : http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=542196

Id love some advice and to know more about your experience as a designer. Feel free to share whatever with
me, a high school senior applying to industrial design.

Whiskey
  • Whiskey

Homie

• The Connection

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

If you added more tones to your drawings they would be great.
If your looking for more colours I recommend the Faber Castel Polychromos, they come with many shades. These will allow you add to add much more depth to your drawings.

JRZ
  • JRZ

Real Horrorshow

• Members

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:24 PM Edited by JRZ, 24 January 2013 - 08:27 PM.

QUOTE (YouthGamer @ Thursday, Jan 24 2013, 15:56)
wait hold on, you're an industrial designer? Wow dude Its actually my dream and passion to be one
I applied to humber and I just made my portfolio, and if you're interested in my other project as well

Id love some advice and to know more about your experience as a designer. Feel free to share whatever with

Haha, I actually just graduated from Humber's ID program last year.
It's a good program but you're pretty much guaranteed to lose some sleep once they start piling the projects on.

When I mentioned people drawing ellipses with sharp edges I was actually thinking of a few specific classmates that I remember from first year.

When I went for my portfolio review to get into ID at Humber, I think the project they liked most was this:
user posted image

It's an assemblage of found objects that I created for a project in grade 12. (the colors aren't original and I can't seem to find the original photos).
Then again, the professor who reviewed my portfolio was Bruce (who is a motorcycle nut).

What they look for mainly is sketching, ideally sketching of products or cars or any 3d objects in perspective. The sketching tool of choice for most students in the course is black or blue Prismacolor Verithin. They are great for fine lines and they won't smudge. The next most important thing that they look for is probably models, sketch models or finished models, it's all good. They want to know that you can think and work in 3D. Any other projects like illustrator, photoshop, or 3d cad stuff would be a bonus, it's not critical for the portfolio review because you will be taught a lot of that stuff later on. In fact, the entire first year is almost strictly doing sketches and models by hand, digital stuff doesn't come in until after they know you can sketch with your own hand. A lot of the students who don't make it in are the ones who have portfolios full of digital work and nothing else, and that tends to make the profs think that they can't sketch at all.

You can see a few of my Humber projects, and some more recent work here

YouthGamer
  • YouthGamer

Snitch

• Members

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

QUOTE (JRZ @ Thursday, Jan 24 2013, 20:24)
QUOTE (YouthGamer @ Thursday, Jan 24 2013, 15:56)

Haha, I actually just graduated from Humber's ID program last year.
It's a good program but you're pretty much guaranteed to lose some sleep once they start piling the projects on.

When I mentioned people drawing ellipses with sharp edges I was actually thinking of a few specific classmates that I remember from first year.

When I went for my portfolio review to get into ID at Humber, I think the project they liked most was this:
user posted image

It's an assemblage of found objects that I created for a project in grade 12. (the colors aren't original and I can't seem to find the original photos).
Then again, the professor who reviewed my portfolio was Bruce (who is a motorcycle nut).

What they look for mainly is sketching, ideally sketching of products or cars or any 3d objects in perspective. The sketching tool of choice for most students in the course is black or blue Prismacolor Verithin. They are great for fine lines and they won't smudge. The next most important thing that they look for is probably models, sketch models or finished models, it's all good. They want to know that you can think and work in 3D. Any other projects like illustrator, photoshop, or 3d cad stuff would be a bonus, it's not critical for the portfolio review because you will be taught a lot of that stuff later on. In fact, the entire first year is almost strictly doing sketches and models by hand, digital stuff doesn't come in until after they know you can sketch with your own hand. A lot of the students who don't make it in are the ones who have portfolios full of digital work and nothing else, and that tends to make the profs think that they can't sketch at all.

You can see a few of my Humber projects, and some more recent work here

Your awesome dude

But did you get a job now? and is the program super exciting like no heavy exams and essays?

And if you do work, whats it like and how fast did you get a job?

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

The fall is FAST and STEEP

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:07 AM

QUOTE (Typhus @ Thursday, Jan 24 2013, 01:50)
Uninspired and mundane.
Anyone can draw bottles.

Go for it then.

Diggdydog
  • Diggdydog

Trick

• Angels of Death MC

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

i do kinda agree, it's very uninspired and lacks any personality or style. I guess if you just like still life drawing then they're ok.

YouthGamer
  • YouthGamer

Snitch

• Members

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

QUOTE (Diggdydog @ Friday, Jan 25 2013, 21:08)
i do kinda agree, it's very uninspired and lacks any personality or style. I guess if you just like still life drawing then they're ok.

its not that I like or dont like it, my college requires still life in my portfolio

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

amplifier worship

• Mongolia
  • Best Senior Moderator 2013

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

QUOTE (JRZ @ Thursday, Jan 24 2013, 04:29)

Good Luck!

Agree with this 110%

I really appreciate the investigation of using models. As an Architecture grad, building physical models with representational materials really helped me understand construction and the relationship of different materials among each other. Check out some examples from my last project (warning, I'm not the cleanest at building models): http://imgur.com/a/MIoNf#6

For your first drawing of the bottles and containers, your study on perspective and light is actually pretty good, but I'd work on lineweight variation to show depth as well. Especially in spacial studies, heavier lines to show hard edges and a change in plane really works wonders visually.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users