» «
Photo

Omerta; City of Gangsters

29 replies to this topic
Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:17 PM Edited by Fireman, 11 April 2014 - 09:57 PM.

Omerta-City-of-Gangsters-Goes-Gold-Now-A

11-04-2014: GOG sale; 60% off - Here.

The demo is out and free to download here.

Some footage I made:

An RTS with gangsters that plays like XCom with additional features and RPG elements?

Count me in.

I've played other RTS's with the mafia/gang-theme before (Gangland, Escape from Paradise City, Gangsters, Street Wars). What I missed in these previous games were customisation of your own character, Omerta seems to be filling that gap for me and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm not the biggest fan of turn-based combat but with the cover system and the different abilities each of your characters can have I'm kind of looking forward to the combat:

After playing it I'm entertained by it? I guess that's the correct phrasing, it's fun to play, but not amazingly complicated and not really an interesting story. It's a bit mediocre. The turn-based combat works decently, but the covering doesn't. There are abilities for different characters, but you can't choose them yourself (whout modding). The multiplayer is there, but you can only do combat modes and can't play the map mode in multiplayer, which basically makes it just a turn-based combat game instead of a empire-building strategy game.

With the new expansion you CAN play random maps against opponents where they also attack your territory, this was seriously lacking in the old game, where you could just do whatever you wanted without anyone ever attacking you, the only way you could lose was if your attack on someone else failed. It was a major upgrade of the game and should've been implemented in the first place.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:33 PM

I really enjoyed Tropico 3 and I'm definitely going to be getting Tropico 4 once I've got my new PC set up and running. Seeing as it's from the creators of Tropico I might give this a go.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

QUOTE (Outcast @ Wednesday, Jan 23 2013, 23:33)
I really enjoyed Tropico 3 and I'm definitely going to be getting Tropico 4 once I've got my new PC set up and running. Seeing as it's from the creators of Tropico I might give this a go.

It's the other way around for me, since I've heard of this game I've been checking out Tropico.

Tropico was a one-of-a-kind game though I hope Omerta will be just like innovating.

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • Poland

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

One thing that makes me worried, is that the game is TEEN rated... and it's a gangster game at the same time.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

The demo is out and free to download here.

I'm enjoying it. Currently the options to do stuff are limited but I guess that's what a demo does. The combat is goosd and solid but nothing special, though leveling up and other RPG elements such as character creation are interesting.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:32 PM

I've been playing this game for a few hours now and it's pretty entertaining.

It's not mind-blowing but creating your own empire is just a lot of fun and you can go do combat missions whenever you want. I hope there are more different type of buildings in the full game and more different actions, but the demo is real fun already,

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:09 PM Edited by Fireman, 28 January 2013 - 02:17 PM.

I've been messing around with the unpacked HPK files and found the cheats for Omerta: City of Gangsters for console, but there is no console in the demo, or well, I can't get to it, finally I found out something about a game first though \o/

Fullhouse: Unlock all henchmen

Fearme: Sets feared rating to maximum

Armsrace: Adds one weapon of each type to the inventory

Fancysuit: Sets liked rating to maximum.

Feellucky: Win a tactical mission.

Cementshoes: Lose a tactical mission.

Playground: Unlock all districts

Bigdeal<amount>: Adds <amount> Dirty and <amount> Clean money.

Secretstash<amount>: Add <amount> liquor, <amount> beer and <amount>firearms.

Drycity: Wins the current district.

Ding<level>: Level up to <level>

EscoLehGo
  • EscoLehGo

Ya Dingus

• Members

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

I just played through the demo and it was fun, it's like one of those addictive facebook games but with a little more depth. That Irish guy you hire towards the end is bad ass in gun fights and I thought it was pretty funny if anti-semitic how whenever you did business with the Rabbi in the earlier levels he would say your product wasn't up to standard and try to talk his original price down. How much will this cost? If it's not over $20 I'll probably buy it.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

It's $33,90 on GOG, costs even more on Steam.

I'm thinking about buying retail version instead for even more, atleast then you get something.

stinomontana
  • stinomontana

contract chiller

• Members

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

I'll wait till it goes on steam sale. 40 is to much if you ask me.

EscoLehGo
  • EscoLehGo

Ya Dingus

• Members

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

QUOTE (stinomontana @ Monday, Jan 28 2013, 22:04)
I'll wait till it goes on steam sale. 40 is to much if you ask me.

Yea, that's pushing it for what I saw in the demo gameplay, what's that in US dollars? Like 50 bucks? The most I'd pay for a full version would probably be 15 dollars to be honest.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

It's out now!

Go buy it!

kudoboi
  • kudoboi

HI

• Members

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:03 AM

not getting good reviews
http://www.metacriti.../critic-reviews

many users on steam are also saying that they were dissapointed in this game
ill hold off until more reviews and gameplay comes in

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

You need a Pearl necklace? Hit me up ;)

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:39 AM

I watched a gameplay off this just out of interest. Was pretty dissapointed thought it was going to be fast paced being about gangsters. 4 moves just to enter the banks front doors kinda put me off.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

QUOTE (kudoboi @ Friday, Feb 1 2013, 09:03)
not getting good reviews
http://www.metacriti.../critic-reviews

many users on steam are also saying that they were dissapointed in this game
ill hold off until more reviews and gameplay comes in

Yeah. I noticed.

Quite a long range of reviews as well, some give 3's (Gamespot did I think) and others give 7-8, but the average is around 6.

For a strategy game it might be too easy, there is hardly any micro-management (you got three goods, Liquor, Beer, Firearms, which isn't enough in my opinion). The battles can be challenging but they give no indication of progress (there's no XP bar for example, while you have levels, it doesn't show how much XP you gain or anything).

It seems like they haven't quite finished the game and by looking through the files you can see that there'll be DLC, so just wait till a completed edition of the game I'd say.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

Really, nobody played this game except me?

I even made a mod for it which changes the weapon names/icons (I was very dissapointed with the, Tommygun, Better Tommygun, Exceptional Tommy Gun, names).

It didn't take long to finish, about 20 hours or so but the multiplayer is pretty fun when it's not filled with people who have every character on maximum level (of which they are a lot, thanks to cheating).

There's a lot of features missing from the game though, if you're going to get this, wait for some DLC/patches so it becomes a full game. (for example there are NO rival gangs, which is basically what a Gangster game should be about, having an enemy).

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:44 PM

Steam sale today, it's 50% off (which is how it SHOULD be priced). Over here.

However the next big update will be good as well, finally adding an enemy AI, here's the updates and new features for the next big patch;

New features:

- New maps for multiplayer and sandbox modes
- Enemy gang for sandbox mode, operating independently and taking over businesses - can both attack the player and be attacked by the player
- Customizable game settings and goals for sandbox games
- Economy overview panel for current businesses with their efficiency, profit, ect.
- Visual representation of individual business types on the strategic map via icons
- Additional difficulty setting and "Iron Man" option (saving progress in strategic mode disabled)
- Massive overhaul of cover mechanics in turn-based combat
- Introduction of multiplayer chat and several other minor fixes/changes

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

The fall is FAST and STEEP

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:47 PM

Is this something like that old school game Street Wars: Constructor Underworld? I loved Street Wars.

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:01 AM

Played and finish it and the DLCs too! Great game except the turn based aspect got very annoying.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:36 PM

You should sign up for the beta for the new patch update nightwalker. I thought it was a pretty fun game, but rather short and Sandbox wasn't worth playing really. | for one really liked the turn-based combat (despite it not functioning 100%)

Sandbox finally has some competition now.

I've made a mod for this game which changes weapon icons/names which you could use as well;

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:02 AM

A mod? How easy is it to create mods for the game?

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:08 AM

QUOTE (nightwalker83 @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 01:02)
A mod? How easy is it to create mods for the game?

Changing icons and names wasn't so hard, but actually adding to the gameplay is difficult for anyone who doesn't know LUA (I don't know that either, unfortunately).

There's a topic about modding on the official forums.

Changing portraits and names/icons/music is do-able. There's a guy working on a much larger map, about four times the size of the current sandbox maps, but that's nearly impossible if you haven't done any scripting in LUA before (unless you want to learn, ofcourse).

You'll need the Tropico 4 Archiver to unpack the .LUA files.

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:16 PM

Thanks! I'll have a read.

meta187
  • meta187

Challenge Convention, Question Authority.

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Gaming] 2013
    Best Member in a Group 2010

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:24 PM

I picked this up a few weeks back but with most of my free time going into my current video project I haven't had a proper chance to get into it beyond the first warehouse mission. I liked the RTS style gameplay but the turn based attack exchange felt a bit awkward, I'm sure I'll get used to it in time now that I have some free time again.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:06 PM

QUOTE (meta187 @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 15:24)
I picked this up a few weeks back but with most of my free time going into my current video project I haven't had a proper chance to get into it beyond the first warehouse mission. I liked the RTS style gameplay but the turn based attack exchange felt a bit awkward, I'm sure I'll get used to it in time now that I have some free time again.

Only problem I had with the turn-based was that the accuracy % made no sense. Sometimes they were 95% and you missed 3 times in a row and sometimes you were behind cover and still get hit 95% of the time.

Then again it also happened then I shot 5 times in a row with 5% chance to hit and I hit three times.

The accuracy just doesn't seem to be defined properly, but that should be fixed in the next patch.

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:04 AM

QUOTE (Fireman @ Sunday, Apr 28 2013, 06:36)
QUOTE (meta187 @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 15:24)

Only problem I had with the turn-based was that the accuracy % made no sense. Sometimes they were 95% and you missed 3 times in a row and sometimes you were behind cover and still get hit 95% of the time.

Then again it also happened then I shot 5 times in a row with 5% chance to hit and I hit three times.

The accuracy just doesn't seem to be defined properly, but that should be fixed in the next patch.

Although, the way some characters behave it could mean that they are drunk.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:10 PM

Today on Steam with 75% off, for only €12,- now.

I would say it's worth about €25,- so this is a bargain, comes with the new updates obviously.

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:31 AM

Unfortunately, they haven't released any new DLCs.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:36 PM

It's on GOG.com with all DLC and the expansion for just $12,- which is definitely worth it in my opinion:

http://www.gog.com/p...kalypso_mash_up

Troubadour
  • Troubadour

God Is Great, Beer Is Good, People Are Crazy

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:50 PM

I really enjoy this game it's really good entertainment for when you need to kill time.

I always seem to get killed or get my buddies jailed at the worse time and i can't get em out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users