Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:08 AM

IMO he's a cocky, womanizing douchebag.

Kifflom112
  • Kifflom112

I like to spam

• Members

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

He's just boring. His story is also way over the top imo. He doesn't have much depth while Niko does in my opinion.

And this is just nitpicking: I hate the way he runs. He runs slower than Niko, looks stupid while doing it and responds pretty horribly.

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

QUOTE (Kifflom112 @ Wednesday, Jan 23 2013, 01:35)
He's just boring. His story is also way over the top imo. He doesn't have much depth while Niko does in my opinion.

And this is just nitpicking: I hate the way he runs. He runs slower than Niko, looks stupid while doing it and responds pretty horribly.

How about the way he stands? It's like Gay Tony gave him some "Burrito" and it's stuck up his ass. confused.gif

Kifflom112
  • Kifflom112

I like to spam

• Members

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Tuesday, Jan 22 2013, 08:42)

How about the way he stands? It's like Gay Tony gave him some "Burrito" and it's stuck up his ass. confused.gif

lol.gif lol that's true.

Coral_City
  • Coral_City

The Don

• Members

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

QUOTE (Kifflom112 @ Tuesday, Jan 22 2013, 10:35)

To be fair though, he was just a DLC character.

Vega LVI
  • Vega LVI

Gravedancer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

I know I've posted similar words in another topic a few weeks back, but Luis receives the most hate because he's a womanizing piece of sh*t. He's overly cocky, arrogant and believes he is a big deal, when he's no more than some street hood who is handed luxuries through his aging sugar daddy.

GTAb0yWonder
  • GTAb0yWonder

I'm not GTAb0yWonder anymore, you dipsh*t cretins.

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

QUOTE (StoneHead37 @ Tuesday, Jan 22 2013, 15:47)
I know I've posted similar words in another topic a few weeks back, but Luis receives the most hate because he's a womanizing piece of sh*t. He's overly cocky, arrogant and believes he is a big deal, when he's no more than some street hood who is handed luxuries through his aging sugar daddy.

Armando could've made a better protagonist, now that you've mentioned that one quote of his.

GroundZero
  • GroundZero

Previous Username: Bull12345Bull

• Members
  • Greece

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

Am I the only one around here who actually liked Luis as a protagonist?

SmileyHam
  • SmileyHam

Peon

• Members

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE (Bull12345Bull @ Tuesday, Jan 22 2013, 19:49)

No. I liked him.

Johnny imo was a fa**ot and his story was extremely boring. Probably the worst protagonist in a GTA game ever.

Kifflom112
  • Kifflom112

I like to spam

• Members

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

QUOTE (SmileyHam @ Tuesday, Jan 22 2013, 15:40)

No. I liked him.

Johnny imo was a fa**ot and his story was extremely boring. Probably the worst protagonist in a GTA game ever.

Johnny a 'fa**ot'? Worst story ever?
You have issues babay... moto_whistle.gif

Vega LVI
  • Vega LVI

Gravedancer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:13 AM

QUOTE (SmileyHam @ Tuesday, Jan 22 2013, 14:40)

No. I liked him.

On the contrary, my friend. I thought Johnny was a great character with not only brawn, but with brains. He knows when it is time to fight, but he also has self-control to know when to put the gun down. Listen to his heated discussions with Billy about how The Lost should operate, particularly during Clean and Serene and you'll discover how truly good he is as a central figure of a game.

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:24 AM

QUOTE (StoneHead37 @ Wednesday, Jan 23 2013, 11:13)
QUOTE (SmileyHam @ Tuesday, Jan 22 2013, 14:40)

No. I liked him.

On the contrary, my friend. I thought Johnny was a great character with not only brawn, but with brains. He knows when it is time to fight, but he also has self-control to know when to put the gun down. Listen to his heated discussions with Billy about how The Lost should operate, particularly during Clean and Serene and you'll discover how truly good he is as a central figure of a game.

Agreed. Johnny is great.

Luis is just boring to me. I hate how he thinks he's better than he really is.

AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:28 AM Edited by AceRay, 23 January 2013 - 04:16 AM.

Oh no, not talking about this again, are we?

The thing I really f*cking hated about Luis is that he constantly kept helping out A and H, despite the fact they had nothing to offer him and were just constantly wrecking his life. He could have left those clowns in the dirt and just concentrated on Tony but for some reason he keeps helping them. Roman was Niko's cousin and the club was like family to Johnny but Luis has no reason to even be around those fools. At one point he even says "I'll go to jail for you," and the question I found myself asking is WHY? Why do you constantly help those two?

Also, Luis doesn't have much involvement in the plot. His only real purpose is to be Tony's bodyguard. His role could have been replaced by any random guy. If Tony fired him halfway through the plot and hired Joe Average to watch over him, I can guarantee things would have more or less turned out the same with Bulgarin and such.

Luis' personality wasn't that good either. He was just far too arrogant and big headed, compared to Niko and Johnny. They were much more likeable characters (Niko's whining aside) despite being terrible people when you get down to it, especially Niko who destroy drags those he loves into crime. They felt humbler, because they had seen more of the world, as Niko had been in a war since he was 13 and Johnny had become Vice President of a gang. Its interesting that despite the fact that Niko is trying to kill a guy and Johnny is trying to keep a criminal organization operating and running, they come off as nicer and more likeable people than Luis who is actually trying to be legit and just be Tony's bodyguard, arguably a much more realistic goal yet comes off as a d*ck.

I guess this could just be good characterization on R*'s part but it makes the player ask the question of why they should care about Luis. The viewer cares about Niko because they want to see him redeemed and they care about Johnny because of his relationship with Ashley and his club falling apart, because they realize how important it is to his life. They both have admirable goals that can relate to the viewer without being selfish. Luis' goal in life is to get rich and screw lots of chicks. Sure, I'm sure a lot of people desire that, I sure do, but on screen it just makes Luis look like a c*nt. Why should we care about this d*ckhead and who he lays? He doesn't really have a struggle. Oh sure, he gets shot at a couple of times and there's a sub plot with his family that goes nowhere like in Mafia II but he never really loses anything or gains anything. He's pretty much the same guy at the end of the story as he is at the start. There's no arc, there's no development, he's just some guy who wonders through a game and shoots people for his boss, another comparison to Mafia II that is quite apt now that I think about it.

(I will give TBOGT the compliment that Tony was a far more interesting character who drives the emotional weight of the story compared to Luis, he pretty much rescues a lot of scenes in this game. He felt like a real-life character who would be in IV rather than the cartoon world of TBOGT.)

The same with every character. Everyone except Tony was either an idiot like Mori or an asshole like Bulgarin. The titular Gay Tony was the only character with depth and intrigue. And its not because its a DLC and it can't be deep, just look at TLAD, the greatest DLC ever made in the history of the universe. Johnny, Ashley, Billy and Jim are all well rounded and interesting characters with lots of depth and great character moments. But in TBOGT, everyone is a walking joke. I mean, IV had joke characters like Brucie and Bernie but everyone in TBOGT is there to just make jokes and be walking punchlines. When Brucie looks like the sanest character in the game, you know your game fails to live up to IV's realism.

So, yeah, that's why Luis fails as a character. Also, his haircut is stupid.

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:01 AM

QUOTE (AceRay @ Wednesday, Jan 23 2013, 13:28)
Oh no, not talking about this again, are we?

The thing I really f*cking hated about Luis is that he constantly kept helping out A and H, despite the fact they had nothing to offer him and were just constantly wrecking his life. He could have left those clowns in the dirt and just concentrated on Tony but for some reason he keeps helping them. Roman was Niko's cousin and the club was like family to Johnny but Luis has no reason to even be around those fools. At one point he even says "I'll go to jail for you," and the question I found myself asking is WHY? Why do you constantly help those two?

Also, Luis doesn't have much involvement in the plot. His only real purpose is to be Tony's bodyguard. His role could have been replaced by any random guy. If Tony fired him halfway through the plot and hired Joe Average to watch over him, I can guarantee things would have more or less turned out the same with Bulgarin and such.

Luis' personality wasn't that good either. He was just far too arrogant and big headed, compared to Niko and Johnny. They were much more likeable characters (Niko's whining aside) despite being terrible people when you get down to it, especially Niko who destroy drags those he loves into crime. They felt humbler, because they had seen more of the world, as Niko had been in a war since he was 13 and Johnny had become Vice President of a gang. Its interesting that despite the fact that Niko is trying to kill a guy and Johnny is trying to keep a criminal organization operating and running, they come off as nicer and more likeable people than Luis who is actually trying to be legit and just be Tony's bodyguard, arguably a much more

I guess this could just be good characterization on R*'s part but it makes the player ask the question of why they should care about Luis. The viewer cares about Niko because they want to see him redeemed and they care about Johnny because of his relationship with Ashley and his club falling apart, because they realize how important it is to his life. They both have admirable goals that can relate to the viewer without being selfish. Luis' goal in life is to get rich and screw lots of chicks. Sure, I'm sure a lot of people desire that, I sure do, but on screen it just makes Luis look like a c*nt. Why should we care about this d*ckhead and who he lays? He doesn't really have a struggle. Oh sure, he gets shot at a couple of times and there's a sub plot with his family that goes nowhere like in Mafia II but he never really loses anything or gains anything. He's pretty much the same guy at the end of the story as he is at the start. There's no arc, there's no development, he's just some guy who wonders through a game and shoots people for his boss, another comparison to Mafia II that is quite apt now that I think about it.

(I will give TBOGT the compliment that Tony was a far more interesting character who drives the emotional weight of the story compared to Luis, he pretty much rescues a lot of scenes in this game. He felt like a real-life character who would be in IV rather than the cartoon world of TBOGT.)

The same with every character. Everyone except Tony was either an idiot like Mori or an asshole like Bulgarin. The titular Gay Tony was the only character with depth and intrigue. And its not because its a DLC and it can't be deep, just look at TLAD, the greatest DLC ever made in the history of the universe. Johnny, Ashley, Billy and Jim are all well rounded and interesting characters with lots of depth and great character moments. But in TBOGT, everyone is a walking joke. I mean, IV had joke characters like Brucie and Bernie but everyone in TBOGT is there to just make jokes and be walking punchlines. When Brucie looks like the sanest character in the game, you know your game fails to live up to IV's realism.

So, yeah, that's why Luis fails as a character. Also, his haircut is stupid.

icon14.gif

Listen to this man everyone.

GTAb0yWonder
  • GTAb0yWonder

I'm not GTAb0yWonder anymore, you dipsh*t cretins.

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:50 AM

I picture TBoGT as the SR:TT to the Possible Trinity. TBoGT had no point in it's plot, WHATSOEVER! I had a feeling R* only wanted to atleast let the GTASA fanboys have their little IV-era fun.

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

Big Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:02 AM

In my opinion
Johnny>Niko>Luis
Johnny and Niko actually had depth in their characters, and felt like true psychos.
Luis felt like a guy that just came from nowhere.

Dr. Robotnik
  • Dr. Robotnik

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:58 AM

I didn't think Luis was a horribly flat character, although he did have a tendency to serve as a walking plot device; it helped that he got a lot of funny lines. His VA's performance seemed very wooden and unenthusiastic. He seemed much more interesting in the main game, where he was a little more animated (and his accent was thicker).

I liked Bulgarin, actually; just about everything he said (about Gay Tony and Luis, etc) seemed true (which isn't to say that I don't love Gay Tony). Then he just became stuck on the notion that Luis and Tony deliberately stole from him with malice aforethought. They did a good job of tying that aspect of his character to the main game; you can see why he was such a problem for Niko.

Pyrrhic
  • Pyrrhic

you will never be one of us

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

QUOTE (thegtaman531 @ Wednesday, Jan 23 2013, 14:02)
In my opinion
Johnny>Niko>Luis
Johnny and Niko actually had depth in their characters, and felt like true psychos.
Luis felt like a guy that just came from nowhere.

I agree. Johnny was a cold blooded killer.

Radoonhagaydoon
  • Radoonhagaydoon

Ignorance lives everywhere.

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

Why does this remind me of Michael/Trevor/Franklin?

mikeinthahouse
  • mikeinthahouse

Rockford Hills Resident

• Members

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

Luis is a dick

Verdant
  • Verdant

Boomshine Blowout

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:14 PM

Luis, just didn't turn out to be such a good character like Niko and Johnny, imo. Those two protagonists had such a great storyline, Niko's troubles and the friendship with Johnny's Lost MC brothers. The twist and turn with Bulgarian in TBOGT was quite interesting, but other than that, it didn't feel right in my opinion.

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

The floor here will kill you, try to avoid it.

• Members

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:54 PM

I really hate that attitude, you know. "This character doesn't cater specifically to me, therefore he sucks". Yes, I complain about niko. Whenever I do, hundreds of people rush to his defense. I guess I should do the same.

Luis was awesome because he has parachutes and a tank cheat and does all sorts of crazy stunts in the main story. I don't see why he shouldn't exist. I mean, you story guys got niko and johnny right? So why should I be able to have fun? Or is GTA "Too grown up for that"?

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

QUOTE (Racecarlock @ Thursday, Jan 24 2013, 09:54)
I really hate that attitude, you know. "This character doesn't cater specifically to me, therefore he sucks". Yes, I complain about niko. Whenever I do, hundreds of people rush to his defense. I guess I should do the same.

Luis was awesome because he has parachutes and a tank cheat and does all sorts of crazy stunts in the main story. I don't see why he shouldn't exist. I mean, you story guys got niko and johnny right? So why should I be able to have fun? Or is GTA "Too grown up for that"?

Don't be so dramatic. The whole point of this thread is you know to give an opinion on the guy. Why are you acting like we're saying you can't have some fun?

Luis to me completely fails as a character. If all he's good for is gameplay features related to him R* should've made him silent like Claude.

Actually I probably would've preferred if he was exactly that. Atleast I wouldn't have to listen to his cocky and arrogant bullsh*t.

Deadly Target
  • Deadly Target

Rat

• Members

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Wednesday, Jan 23 2013, 23:15)
Don't be so dramatic.

user posted image

damian001
  • damian001

Vice City fanboy

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

QUOTE (GTAb0yWonder @ Tuesday, Jan 22 2013, 19:50)
I picture TBoGT as the SR:TT to the Possible Trinity. TBoGT had no point in it's plot, WHATSOEVER! I had a feeling R* only wanted to atleast let the GTASA fanboys have their little IV-era fun.

THIS. It added what everyone wanted: fight clubs, parachutes, nightclubs, tanks (APC), that chopper that fired rockets and had a minigun was essentially a remake of the Hunter from VC and SA.. etc.

Then you get the farfetched storyline with Yusuf and others.

They messed it up by having Bahama Mama's accessible only once, same thing with NOS (c'mon, seriously?)
It was a shame, because that nightclub had the best interior of the three, it really showed off their skills.

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE (Kifflom112 @ Tuesday, Jan 22 2013, 14:48)
QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Tuesday, Jan 22 2013, 08:42)

lol.gif lol that's true.

Really Miami ??

After you just said Luis was "womanizing" I don't see how you can now start dissin' him with gay insults !!

I like Luis, he was cool. Not much depth, but he was a cool character with some kind of style. He had that New York, ghetto Hispanic flavor to him, but he was still smooth and slick with it. Plus he was already ready to handle business. And I liked the fact that he was gettin' with all the sexy hoes.

AlphaWaveMovement
  • AlphaWaveMovement

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:04 PM

I liked Luis, I don't really think there was a lack of depth. Some people are just like that; especially in that world, The strong silent type like Gary Cooper, more stoic, quiet, deal with their personal problems in that way. Not everyone has to be a whiney broken bitch just because they've had a hard time of it. There's a positive message in there. And I've never noticed his repressed gay man stance tbh lol

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

Love For Sale

• The Lost MC
  • Unknown

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:45 PM Edited by Majestic81, 26 January 2013 - 11:50 PM.

I think people just got bored after the first 2 characters, that's about it. and Luis was just empty, with no interesting background. he was an okay character i guess, but after playing with both Niko and Johnny, you will need a very well written character or you'll get bored very easily, especially if you're playing the same exact game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users