Photo

GTA4 will not load saved game

5 replies to this topic
KarmicSquish
  • KarmicSquish

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

I downloaded GTA 4 from Steam on Friday (1/18/13) and have been playing all weekend with no troubles. On Sunday we had a brief power outage while I was playing (a second or two). Upon restart GTA 4 would not reload my save. It shows the error "load failed. check your hard drive". I though maybe my HD was damaged but every other game I play is ok. I also started the Liberty City Episodes since the main game is unplayable atm and it runs just fine.

My PC isnt the best but it will run it with no real problem. Not currently at my PC so Im unsure of the specs.

If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Miro
  • Miro

Time Killa™

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • GTANet Contribution Award [Newbie Guide]
    Most Improved 2010

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

It's pretty odd to hear such a problem coming from a random power outage. But I do have a solution for you, though it might be a little longer. Read carefully.

First, you need to install xliveless. Simply put the xlive.dll in the game directory. Now, go to any of these locations, depending on what Operating System you have, and take your the save game from here, since they won't work anymore if they're located here since you have xliveless installed (change the system driver letters accordingly):

Windows XP SP3: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames
Windows Vista: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames
Windows 7: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames

Now, to place the savegames in the proper directory, you can go by one of the following two procedures:
a) Create the following folder structure in the "My Documents" folder manually (Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames)
b) Simply start GTAIV, create a new game from the menu and save the game taking the first opportunity. Now you can look for the folder in "My Documents" and drop any savegames you have there.

Hope this helps. icon14.gif
  • Alvinz10000 likes this

KarmicSquish
  • KarmicSquish

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I will give this a shot as soon as I get home from work.

I've never had such a strange problem arise from a power outage before.

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

Well, since IV has the "Auto Save" feature, it might have been trying to save when the power outage happened and didn't get saved in time, thus corrupting the save...?-Which is why it gives the warning at the top of the screen to "Not turn off system.." Just a heads up. smile.gif tounge2.gif

If other saves work(remember, there are 12 save slots), then it is a corrupted save problem...

camaropower76
  • camaropower76

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:01 PM

How do you recover a currupted Save file for PS3?

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE (camaropower76 @ Monday, Sep 2 2013, 11:01)
How do you recover a currupted Save file for PS3?

You can't..the ONLY option on consoles is to either (1) Load a previous save-since there are 12 save slots, you should have at least one save available..OR (2) Start a new game....OR (3) *if you have a flash drive* you can download a save online and put it on the PS3...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users