Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
Fight Club
Drive
The Silence of the Lambs
North by Northwest
City of God
Pulp Fiction

Rules:
List these films from most liked to least liked from top to bottom and a few short words on why you have chosen those films. A minimum of 10 to a maximum of infinite. This will be open for two weeks. If you haven't seem them don't worry about it as there will be more people who will choose this film which will rally up to the final vote.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Boards Of Canada

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

Cool that you are doing this but why those films? blush.gif

Oh and I haven't seen, Shotgun Stories, The Third Man, North By Northwest and 5CM per second. I take it you must have seen all the films to participate? biggrin.gif

Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Wales

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:28 PM Edited by Indi, 21 January 2013 - 02:41 PM.

QUOTE (ThePinkFloydSound @ Monday, Jan 21 2013, 15:00)
Cool that you are doing this but why those films?  blush.gif

Oh and I haven't seen, Shotgun Stories, The Third Man, North By Northwest and 5CM per second. I take it you must have seen all the films to participate? biggrin.gif

These were chosen by me and Tycek and these would be I'd say the films that people have seen most.

No, you don't need to see all of the films to participate.

Vormek
  • Vormek

I am not in danger. I AM the danger!

• Members

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

QUOTE (ThePinkFloydSound @ Monday, Jan 21 2013, 14:00)
Cool that you are doing this but why those films? blush.gif

Man, you have to see North by Northwest. Hitchcock's finest in my opinion. Althought the acting seems a bit stale I still rate it a perfect 10.
And I've seen almost every movie in OP's list, all of them are great, except maybe Battle Royale. It's a bit overrated but still a good movie.

Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Wales

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

QUOTE (Vormek @ Monday, Jan 21 2013, 19:35)
QUOTE (ThePinkFloydSound @ Monday, Jan 21 2013, 14:00)

Man, you have to see North by Northwest. Hitchcock's finest in my opinion. Althought the acting seems a bit stale I still rate it a perfect 10.
And I've seen almost every movie in OP's list, all of them are great, except maybe Battle Royale. It's a bit overrated but still a good movie.

Don't suppose you could state the movies from top to bottom (most liked to least liked)? smile.gif . Then just a short description of why you put them in that order. If you could do that it would be splendid.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Boards Of Canada

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:09 AM

QUOTE (Indi @ Monday, Jan 21 2013, 15:28)
QUOTE (ThePinkFloydSound @ Monday, Jan 21 2013, 15:00)

These were chosen by me and Tycek and these would be I'd say the films that people have seen most.

No, you don't need to see all of the films to participate.

That's cool man. Well, I'm going to try watch them this week so I can give a good idea of order.

Cheers Vormek, I look forward to watching it. icon14.gif

Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Wales

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

Back to the Future
The Artist
Pulp Fiction
Aliens
The Green Mile
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
Fight Club
Drive
The Silence of the Lambs
North by Northwest
City of God

I've chosen these films in this list because I think that they're all brilliant films. Back to the Future is an epic sci-fi classic, The Artist is a homage to Silent Films, Pulp Fiction is a film about 3 stories in one which is genius, Aliens is just crazily stupid fun, The Green Mile is a touching story about the discrimination of black people; Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels is a cockney gangster film that is hilarious and has the balance between fun and cool, Fight Club is mindbending and makes you think about things, Drive is a stylish gangster flick with an 80s' style, The Silence of the Lambs is a creepy film which stars a fantastic actor; Anthony Hopkins, North by Northwest is a Hitchcock classic and very engaging, City of God is one of the best foreign films out there that is very close to life and is based on real life events.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:06 PM

Since nobody wants to post anything about their order let me present mine.

1. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

Let me copy my previous opinion about this touching and simply beutiful movie.

OFOTCN is one of these movies that won't be forgotten. You simply won't forget people like McMurphy (Nicholson acting is considered by many as best male role in history of cinema), Cheswick, Martini (briliant DeVito), Harding, Bromden, Bancini, Billy, Taber (one of best roles of C. Lloyd) or sister Ratched (artificially warm outside and cold as stone inside) They were simply fantastic and perfectly creates every second of the movie with their faces.
You can't erase touching scenes like fishing, basketball, Sedwick's riot and many many more. I doesn't matter how many words I'll write about this movie it will be not enough. One of the milestones in history of cinema and one of the movies that deserve high position like almost no other here.

2. 5 Centimeters per second

5 Centimeters per second is movie playing on your emotions, it's gonna attack your eyes, ears and mind. It's gonna overwhelm you till you will feel sorry for Takaki Tono and you will start regreting with him. It's movie that
will grab you and won't let you go till the credits. This movie can make you start thinking about your life and things that you lost in history. Someone may call this movie a tearjerker, but I would like to see tearjerkers like
this.

Why second place? It's simple movie, it has three characters and lasts only an hour. It's also anime, which may be simply not to overcome for some people.

3. Fight Club

Fight Club on the other hand will start smacking your brain with a hammer soon after the beginning. It will eat your brain, chew it and spit it out on the floor soaked with saliva. The story criticising consumer way of
life, which is main life style of all well developed countries, the story arc with Tyler and Jack and the gritty atmosphere of the movie easily gives it high spot in every list regarding great movies. This movie had to be great.
Fincher couldn't do it otherwise.

Why third spot? Maybe, because it's perfect spot for that movie. It can't overtake OFOTCN and 5 centimeters... also got special spot in my mind. Yeah, third seems perfect.

4. Back to the Future

BTTF is movie of my childhood, I loved and I still do and I've watched on every possible occasion. There is nothing really strange if you think about it, because this movie has everything you may actually want. It was made
by well known director R. Zemeckis, it was played by almost perfect duo in cinematography - MJ Fox and C Lloyd, whose characters were great, funny, inteligent, very likeable and memorable (try to say "great scott" without
copying Lloyd's accent), it has great background characters (George McFly played by Crispin Glover and Biff Tannen played by Thomas Wilson), it has great soundtrack (who doesn't like Johnny B. Goode) and one of most iconic car in history (which would be forgotten if it wasn't for that movie).
BTTF is one of the movies I and many people can still watch to these days. The FX that still looks great, still interesting story and all these little details are turning every seanse in unforgettable experience.

It has the same faults as every "new adventure" film, you know how it would happen from the start, but you're still having fun like a baby, aren't you? That's the reason for 4th spot.

5. Aliens

Aliens was the movie that you can't forget. It doesn't matter how many times you've watched it you always will be afraid of xenomorphs lurking in the dark, you always will be rooting for Ripley and you will always feel sorry for Newt. This movie will be always interesting even for hundredth time. Aliens is timeless masterpiece showing great work of Cameron, Scott and Giger. Great FX that made the atmosphere on LV426 as dense as possible
isn't much outdated even in times of CGIs and movie can still make you sh*t bricks.

Why 5th place? I am great fan of Aliens, but back in the time I could watch it thirty times a day. Now my love to this movie faded a little, because it's nothing more than shootout with some slogans about dark nature of humanity.
It's still great movie, worth to watch of course, but let's face the truth, it isn't groundbraking.

6. Pulp Fiction

I've never considered myself as a Tarantino's die hard fan. I like some of his movies, but I can't stand the others. Pulp fiction is in the first group and in addition is considered by me as the best Tarantino's movie. Story shown in this movie is good, acting is good and some scenes (Vincent and Emma's(I think) dance, Jules and Vincent visit or Zed's bike became part of general pop culture, but way of telling the story is very Tarantinish (new
word), totally messed up and show in totally random order, some people could have bigger roles (Willis), some people could act a little better (Rhames) and movie could have some message hidden along these lines, because now
it's very original, briliant, and one of the best movies in the history, but still action movie.

7. Silence of the Lambs

SotL is great thriller with very magnetic roles played by A. Hopkins and J. Foster. Their every conversation (mostly due to briliant Hopkins acting) was memorable experience, which is increasing this movie value. SotL opened
road for future thrillers like Se7en for example.

8. Green Mile

Great touching movie based on King's novel if I recall correctly. Great roles of Tom Hanks and Michael Clarke Duncan (the latter was briliant and his role was awarded with Saturn) and interesting topic about discrimination.
Really worth watching.

9. North by Northwest

I've watched this recently as one of the movies needed for our competition and not seen before and I must say it's really good movie. The atmosphere in the beginning is just terryfying (abduction, drunk driving, etc.) and Cary
Grant was fantastic in boylike appearance. Unfortuantely there are two things that won't let me put it on higher position. First thing is a fact that movie becomes somewhat boring and predictable in two thirds. Atmosphere is
extremely dense to the scene with crop dusting plane, but later in the hotel and finally from the airport scene it becomes a drag. Movie from perfect one turns into typical spy movie with happy ending. Roger Thornhill's fight with his unknown adversary was much more enjoyable. Second thing that destroy the perfection was fact that some scenes
were a bit too long (bus ride between the fields, walking across the street after crop dusting scene). It's great to see US from the '50 especially if someone likes Fallout for example, but these particular scenes could be a bit
shorter.

10. City Of God

Movie was good, interesting and in some way touching, but I didn't like two things about it. First thing is fact that movie was made from couple of threads (Tender trio, Benny, Knockout Ned, etc.) and not all of them was as good as the others. Making movie by combining different threads with different characters results in lack or Rocket (who was main character) on screen, but this was probably the way to show more of City of God especially its many faces from romance thru friendship to hate and murder. Second thing that I didn't like was Lil Ze character. I couldn't stay the way the guy changed. I know that money and power changed him, but I was really glad when this group of kids shot him like a dog.

11. The Third Man

I've watched it some time ago, but I recall great atmosphere of Vienna, just after the war, interesting story and great acting. One of great, unfortunately underrated movies.

12. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Interesting combination of romance and psychological drama resulting in "Love Inception." Story was interesting and Jim Carrey played well even in serious role. Overall quite good movie.

13. The Artist

Interesting example how you can create interesting movie, by trying to copy something that theoretically suppose to be dead long time ago. Who could expect that silent movie will get such an applause? But it's not that strange in
that case, becasue we got nice, interesting story, good acting (especially Jean Dujardin) and atmospheric music. Definitely worth watching, although it's not for everybody.

14. The Kid

The Kid got old, we can't deny that fact. But we also can't deny the fact that this movie can still be entertaining despite being based mostly on slapstick jokes. Some movies got some kind of charm affecting the
viewers and The Kid is one of them. It is probably caused by the Chaplin himself, but it works perfectly. And with recent "Artist" people are still showing affection toward silent films. The kid is 91 years old and I'm sure it won't be forgotten in next 100.

15. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

where LS&TSB is more like popcorn flick to watch and forget a couple of hours later. It almost doesn't have any character creation (I couldn't care less about the guys and it doesn't really matter if one of them was called
Bacon, Kettle or Jack the Hatchet.) and the story was based mostly on let's-mess-everything-up-to-make-it-funny type of actions

LS&TSB wasn't bad movie, I was having fun watching it, but Guy Ritchie's style isn't exactly my favourite. I also prefered Snatch as more balanced with a bit better character creation and with slighly less messed up storyline.

16. Drive

First part's okay, especially with Driver driving thru the sleeping LA with Nightcall coming from the speakers, the first heist, seeing that woman in the lift for the first time. That was great, but later movie turns into almost
copy of movie "Driver" at the same time being mediocre adaptation of the mediocre book. Drive was okay, but Poor Richard font in pink and great soundtrack won't turn it into perfect movie.

17. Saving Private Ryan

One of the movies hard to position on list like that. If I would be judging only the beginning and the first scenes it would be somewhere in top spots, because landing on Omaha beach was terrific. You could almost feel like you was there with the troopers storming beach full of trenches, bunkers, and craters made by artillery shells. Unfortunately later this movie turns into indistinctive american pulp about group of heroes killing stupid and evil nazis to save one trooper with star flag behind their back and american anthem on their lips. Less pathos and more real war next time please.

18. Battle Royale

Battle Royale had interesting scenario, showing in symbolic way japanese culture and rat races of corporation employees, unfortunately way of telling about the problem is a bit too shallow, showing mostly kids (too many of
them) killing each other in non very interesting ways and using cheesy dialogues (like from teen flicks) to comunicate. Even Takeshi Kitano wasn't helping (his acting was okay though).

19. Gladiator

First I got a problem with every piece of entertainment (movie, game, etc.) set in ancient times or being a fantasy. Since Gladiator is set in ancient Rome it wasn't very appealing for me from the start, and since it's very mediocre movie with bright sides being Russel Crowe acting and music it wasn't much enjoyable.

20. Shotgun Stories

[quote]I must say it was one of the worst movies I've watched recently. Story about conflict between two "step" families could be interesting base for movie, but only if done properly. In this movie it was made terribly. Conflict escalates, there are first victims, but one of the guys decides that he doesn't wanna fight anymore and movie ends . Not to mention that actual conflict starts in 3/4 of the lenght of the movie. It makes the movie extremally slow and hard to watch. There are even scenes with fully black screen, no sound or music, which can last around 7 seconds. Great way to make movie... Terribly slow pacing, not convincing acting and general feel of B class movie creates perfect cure for insomnia. [/qoute]

I believe this quote sums up everything I got to say about this movie. Seance was a terrible drag and that's why it lands on last place.

Here's my order. I now gonna run to grab some hard hat to protect my head from objects flying in my direction.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

I'll give it a bump. This topic was started so long time ago and nobody gives a damn about it. Is that so hard to make a list similar to mine? It took me around half of hour to post it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users