• Limitless
  • Gunwrath
  • DTUMan

grope_4_that_date
  • grope_4_that_date

Future Moderator

• Members

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

QUOTE (Benjimino234 @ Monday, Jan 21 2013, 09:51)
1: Limitless
2: JRZ
3: Sendes

This

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

This is the hook.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

I guess putting text over a picture is popular. confused.gif I've seen that Back to the future art somewhere, taking someone art and claiming it your own is ripping, which should be against the rules in a SOTW. Just sayin'.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Forum Drunk

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

the EASTWOOD!
1. nic_23
2. grope
3. Erebos

grope_4_that_date
  • grope_4_that_date

Future Moderator

• Members

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:29 PM Edited by grope_4_that_date, 21 January 2013 - 11:32 PM.

QUOTE (Erebos @ Monday, Jan 21 2013, 16:22)
I guess putting text over a picture is popular. confused.gif  I've seen that Back to the future art somewhere, taking someone art and claiming it your own is ripping, which should be against the rules in a SOTW. Just sayin'.

He chose that picture because it looks f*cking awesome. Half the battle is finding the picture. It's all about recognizing good artwork and chosing the right picture. This isn't the grammies or the Sundance Film Festival. It's GTAForums. lol.gif

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Forum Drunk

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:37 PM

Well, to be honest.. alot of images are "ripped", not necessarily "art" created by hand from top to bottom but we all atleast add "text" to an image and call it our own or enter it into contests like SOTW's.. then some of us actually take some time and do alot of work by hand or experience.. therefore it makes the work more personal and unique. I see no problem with what he did, even if it's an image he found while on the interwebz. We're all guilty of taking something we see and like and alter it abit.

But yes, it's a very nice sig either way. icon14.gif

Limitless
  • Limitless

Bad, for a greater good.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:10 AM

Ever time you make something you have to use other people's stuff if its either vectors or just a base back ground image. I would love to
see someone make something completely there's, 100% from scratch. Yes, I did take a image I found off the internet but I also edited and
added a few extra things to it. The image I took wasn't special, like GunWrath said.

Besides, there is about three to four other signatures this weeks that are just pictures from the internet with a added border. I see no real big
deal with my entry, at least I tried to edit it as much as I could and the best I could.

Shoumic
  • Shoumic

16 5 5

• Members
  • Bangladesh

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:24 AM

Here goes

1. JRZ
2. nic_23
3. Erebos

Dr-Mayhem111
  • Dr-Mayhem111

4th Generation Corsino Capo Crimini

• Members

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:34 AM

nic_23
Erebos
grope_4_that_date

The One Called Vega
  • The One Called Vega

Formerly known as 'StoneHead37'...

• Members

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:04 AM

1. Limitless
2. WastedEngland
3. grope_4_that_date

Boris The Vodka
  • Boris The Vodka

[Y]es

• The Yardies
  • Russia

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:36 AM

1. JRZ
2. Limitless
3. GunWrath

Dnero
  • Dnero

Top Dawg

• The Yardies
  • Indonesia

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:39 AM

1. sorv
2. Limitless
3. Sendes

A J
  • A J

Damned

• BUSTED!
  • Wales

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

Limitless
Erebos
WastedEngland

Nebby
  • Nebby

Four star member

• Zaibatsu

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

1. Limitless (awesome work, mate)
2. Sendes
3. nic_23

JRZ
  • JRZ

Real Horrorshow

• Members

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

QUOTE (GunWrath @ Monday, Jan 21 2013, 23:37)
Well, to be honest.. alot of images are "ripped", not necessarily "art" created by hand from top to bottom but we all atleast add "text" to an image and call it our own or enter it into contests like SOTW's.. then some of us actually take some time and do alot of work by hand or experience.. therefore it makes the work more personal and unique. I see no problem with what he did, even if it's an image he found while on the interwebz. We're all guilty of taking something we see and like and alter it abit.

But yes, it's a very nice sig either way. icon14.gif

Yes, it is a very cool sig.

At the heart of artistic expression lies creativity.

Now, I don't really know what your operational definition of "ripped" is, but looking to previous SOTW's, ripping is strictly prohibited. I assume that the rule only really applies to unedited artwork copied directly from a source, and since everyone here seems to have added their own touch in one way or another, I don't see much of a problem.

The one thing that I would say is that in some cases you can give the wrong impression if you don't make certain things clear, and I believe in giving credit where credit is due.

There is an independent design studio in Toronto, Ontario, Canada by the name of Phantom City Creative, they do a variety of graphic design work including movie posters.
One of their projects includes the three posters on which his signature was based:
user posted image

It's some pretty impressive work and you can see each of the 3 posters in more detail here

Limitless
  • Limitless

Bad, for a greater good.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

I never said I made it all my self, I admitted that I did use a image I found and then found the logo witch I had to edit a little bit because the original was
slightly poor quality. The thing is, everyone technically "rips" other peoples who or image... Right now I see three other entries that are pretty much just image
found on the internet that was re sized and a border was added. If anything I did more because I still had to edit that image a good bit including the logo. I never
once claimed that to be my work.

Besides this weeks topic pretty much means your have to use a image off the internet and how much effects you add its up to the who ever taking part in this
week competition. In my option GunWrath and Erebos put forth the more work and effort. Now looking at last weeks that was real hard signature to make, I don't even
remember how many layers I used but you can tell its something that took time and effort. I can promise, I didn't try to rip someone else's work, and I even tried
my best to put forth some effort. Its y'all want to remove it, fine, but I don't think its fare since every week there is someone who put forth less effort and receive votes.

With that said, here is my vote:

1. | Erebos
2. | GunWrath
3. | JRZ

grope_4_that_date
  • grope_4_that_date

Future Moderator

• Members

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

From now on, I'm putting references with my submission. This is getting out of control. lol.gif

JRZ
  • JRZ

Real Horrorshow

• Members

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:03 PM Edited by JRZ, 11 September 2013 - 11:36 PM.

I'm not trying to side with anyone or be a bitch about it,
and I agree with Limitless, the topic makes it difficult not to use an image from the internet.

I only brought up the BTTF sig as a response to the other posts, but it's true that a lot of entries are essentially re-sized, cropped and bordered pictures from the web.
If there's a point to what I'm saying it's only that it can bring up the question of whether to vote for the best-looking or the most original.
Either way I'm probably just thinking too much about things that don't really matter.

1. Limitless
2. GunWrath
3. Erebos

Whiskey
  • Whiskey

Homeboy

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

The picture ripping has been going on since SOTW #1.

WastedEngland
  • WastedEngland

Miscreant.

• Members

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

I don't see what's so wrong with this 'Ripping', In this topic (Movies) it was more or less guaranteed that there were going to be screen caps and fan inspired work or promotional work from films. I could understand if people were claiming to have made the original image or denied ripping when questioned over it but otherwise I agree with JRZ, The contest lies within how we present the images we find and what we've changed to make them signature worthy. This is really proved in this weeks SOTW because I gather everyone has made a signature inspired by a film they really liked.

The original image to my submission is this:
user posted image
(Cick for larger)

I don't know who made the original, Image search just reveals countless wallpaper sites.

Anyway,

1: nic_23
2: Limitless
3: DTUMan

Limitless
  • Limitless

Bad, for a greater good.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

WastedEngland, what film is that from? I love the full size image. icon14.gif

WastedEngland
  • WastedEngland

Miscreant.

• Members

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:23 PM Edited by WastedEngland, 22 January 2013 - 07:26 PM.

Fight Club, definitely worth a watch icon14.gif It's an amazing image, I may have to search a bit harder to find the artist to see if he/she has anymore good work. It's from my favourite scene in the movie too:

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

This is the hook.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

Okay, let me explain, there is a difference ffrom ripping at using a stock and ripping. Ripping is taking someone's art and editing it. While picking a stock is usually a photograph or pictures from movie scenes. I apologize for making a big deal about it. It's just that on graphics forums that I post in ripping is against the rules. If it's fine with the mods or everyone else fine then, let's move on.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Forum Drunk

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:30 PM Edited by GunWrath, 22 January 2013 - 10:35 PM.

QUOTE (Whiskey @ Tuesday, Jan 22 2013, 12:15)
The picture ripping has been going on since SOTW #1.

This.

Just vote for which you like better.. then off to the next pasture.

@Erebos, see that's where our opinions differ.. and I've been on quite afew boards, alot seem to agree with my view on ripping as well. If someone takes an image that someone else created, posts it with their own text and enters it into a simple SOTW contest on a video game forum and they win. Is that ripping really? Not in my eyes, because the artists hasn't claimed the original artwork as his.. he just used the image in a signature that he thought would be nice.. Hell that's actually promoting the original artist(s). But if he goes, "Yeah, I totally made that from top to bottom" .. then yeah, we consider that ripping or unless the artists of the original artwork goes, "Please don't use my work without permission!" .. but 9/10 people go, "pfffshshhtttt.. RIGHT CLICK, SAVE IMAGE AS" but who actually cares man? It's not like they're entering contests on here for money or anything.. just a way to pass time and be a part of something. icon14.gif I'm done.. rough was work today man, let's all get afew drinks, wind down and be homies.

Diggdydog
  • Diggdydog

Trick

• Angels of Death MC

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:33 PM

1)Limitless
2)Erebos
3)Gunwrath

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users