Running GTA San Andreas on Windows 7

14 replies to this topic
Midnightz
  • Midnightz

Populus vult decipi.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:05 AM

I run GTA San Andreas on Windows XP Home SP3 32-bit. My hardware is actually designed for a 64-bit OS and I recently got a new DirectX 11 graphics card. So, I am finally going to get a new OS and I've decided on: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit

I've seen a lot of discussion on the web about GTA San Andreas not running on Windows 7 at all - not on any version, not even in compatibility mode. I am hoping that is not true. I have a very heavily modified game that I am still developing and I hope to continue on the new OS as well as play it with my super cool new GFX card.

If you have Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit...

- Are you running GTA SA and if yes, are you running it without any problems?
- Was there anything you had to do to get it to function correctly?
- Is it incompatible with any specific mods?

Thanks in advance,
-Midnightz

Silent
  • Silent

Moderating Cookie Monster

• Feroci Racing
  • Poland
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Most Helpful [Modding] 2013
    Most Talented [Modding] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"
    Best Vehicle 2013 "III Aircraft"
    Most Helpful [Modding] 2012
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

As far as I know, everything works fine on that OS. You may only consider installing the game outside of your C drive to prevent Virtual Store stuff from not letting you to mod (makes backups of files etc. so you may not be able to see what you've done with the IMG and such).

Midnightz
  • Midnightz

Populus vult decipi.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if anyone has written a guide on how to make a modified San Andreas portable?

Silent
  • Silent

• Feroci Racing
  • Poland
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

What exactly do you mean by "portable"? SA doesn't need any registry entries already (except My Documents path, but that's in every OS).

If you mean how to make savegames work from the game dir - no, don't think so.

Midnightz
  • Midnightz

Populus vult decipi.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

Eh, it would be convenient if I could put my SA on a jump drive so I can play it anywhere without taking up tons of hard drive space. I would want saves to function, yes. I own the actual PS2 game and PC game. Wanna see a pic? tounge.gif But I do use the compact.exe so I don't have to stick my DVD in constantly and also so I can run mods.

I was thinking, as you said, if I store the game on another drive (which isn't much different than a removable jump drive), I can avoid that UAC Windows crap so that I can continue modifying my files without any problems. Hence, portable.

Silent
  • Silent

• Feroci Racing
  • Poland
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:10 PM Edited by SilentPL, 21 January 2013 - 09:13 PM.

So yeah, that way you can do stuff. You just need to put your user files in My Documents. Shouldn't be too time consuming though, eh? tounge.gif

Random fact - my 1st (of 9) SA copy wasn't being installed. It's being copypasted since around 5 years through different PCs. Works perfectly. So yeah, SA is portable tounge.gif

Midnightz
  • Midnightz

Populus vult decipi.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

Oh, no kidding. I never even looked in the registry for this, lol. I always copy/paste my game to backup, then uninstall SA. Then I do a fresh install from DVD and copy/paste modded files back. Once I get the new OS, I will be setting up the new hard drive too... now I know that SA process will be quicker, hurrah!

I've heard so many horror stories about SA on Win 7... maybe they don't know how to turn on/off UAC? People claim it doesn't run at all because of DirectX version differences or something. *shrug*

Anyway, I am EXCITED because I went from (2X SLI) XFX GeForce 7600 GT [256 MB] gfx cards to the EVGA GTX 660 [2 GB] gfx card. It's amazingly on this WinXP 32-bit but it will go to town on 64-bit Win 7. Soooo looking forward to that! biggrin.gif

Methical
  • Methical

★★★★★

• Feroci Racing
  • New-Zealand

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:57 AM

AFAIK, SLI/Crossfire didn't work with an old game like SA? Only one card was recognized/used?

SilentPL is right in everything he said .. I've done the same .. After I originally installed GTA:SA, I made a backup of that folder. Everytime I want/need to re-install GTA:SA, I just re-copy that 'original' folder and rename it. If you want it portable, and have the save-games, then just copy the 'GTA San Andreas' directory to a USB-stick/drive, and copy the 'GTA San Andreas User Files' folder.

You could create a batch script to speed up the process of copying the 'GTA San Andreas User Files' folder to the correct location.

No idea why you would want to make it 'portable' like that though .. reading the game files from a USB drive would be slower than from the HDD naturally .. (don't start a flame war on this, anyone)

Midnightz
  • Midnightz

Populus vult decipi.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:26 AM

QUOTE (methodunderg @ Wednesday, Jan 23 2013, 04:57)
AFAIK, SLI/Crossfire didn't work with an old game like SA? Only one card was recognized/used?

SilentPL is right in everything he said .. I've done the same .. After I originally installed GTA:SA, I made a backup of that folder. Everytime I want/need to re-install GTA:SA, I just re-copy that 'original' folder and rename it. If you want it portable, and have the save-games, then just copy the 'GTA San Andreas' directory to a USB-stick/drive, and copy the 'GTA San Andreas User Files' folder.

You could create a batch script to speed up the process of copying the 'GTA San Andreas User Files' folder to the correct location.

No idea why you would want to make it 'portable' like that though .. reading the game files from a USB drive would be slower than from the HDD naturally .. (don't start a flame war on this, anyone)

Thanks for your post. I'm not sure what you mean? --> SLI worked fine for me (definitely enabled) when running SA. AFAIK, it was utilizing the setup. Maybe it wasn't and I just didn't realize it? The new card just blows my previous setup to pieces. My game is so heavily modified that my framerate was 0 in 2 specific areas of the game. It would literally, freeze... 6 seconds later, show next frame. It was awful and frustrating to develop with things running that poorly. On the plus side, it made me work harder to minimize lag.

You make an excellent point about transfer speeds... that's something I forgot to consider because my jump drives are super speedy w/data transfer but my mobo itself only has USB 2.0. I don't know anyone who would argue with ya on that, lol. I honestly just want occasional portability for when I am traveling and bored and want to work on/test mods, lol. (no laptop owned, just desktop)

Thanks for the instructions too. smile.gif

Silent
  • Silent

• Feroci Racing
  • Poland
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

Although San Andreas can be slimmed down to around 700mb, so you can still consider using the flash drive tounge.gif

Backfire6
  • Backfire6

༼ຈل͜ຈ༽

• Members

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

I'm on Windows 8 and it runs flawlessly. There is a "few" lag areas in it, but mostly because I don't actually have a gfx card in my system. So of course it will lag.
But after the lag is over it is flawless, no issues. I am forced to run it as Admin though for it to work, if not it just crashes. lol I guess that can be conisdered an issue?
Can't imagine why anyone would have issues playing it in Win7, I would suggest using capability mode as XP.

ZAZ
  • ZAZ

Kernlochbohrer

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:05 PM Edited by ZAZ, 25 January 2013 - 07:10 PM.

QUOTE (SilentPL @ Monday, Jan 21 2013, 18:20)
As far as I know, everything works fine on that OS. You may only consider installing the game outside of your C drive to prevent Virtual Store stuff from not letting you to mod (makes backups of files etc. so you may not be able to see what you've done with the IMG and such).

This topic should be pinned!
Maybe the virtual store belongs only to the default install directory? because i installed SA at my girlfriends pc at C:\Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
and didn't had problems with modification as well with removing mods.

@Midnightz: btw. some tools seems not working with 64 bit OS like Aschratts Path Editor

Midnightz
  • Midnightz

Populus vult decipi.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

QUOTE (ZAZ @ Friday, Jan 25 2013, 15:05)
This topic should be pinned!
Maybe the virtual store belongs only to the default install directory? because i installed SA at my girlfriends pc at C:\Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
and didn't had problems with modification as well with removing mods.

@Midnightz: btw. some tools seems not working with 64 bit OS like Aschratts Path Editor

Exactly what I am concerned about, thanks. I heard SA itself was problematic and then I wondered about modified versions...

I use plugins like: SAAC, ENBSeries, SA Teleport, TimeSync Tool, CLEO3, GTAIV Hud, Bullet Hole, Ragdoll, Birds Update, GTA Garage Manager etc.
...and modding tools like: Spark IMG, IMG Tool, MEd, TXD Workshop, Sanny Builder 3, Ped Editor, SA GXT Editor, GTA Anim Manager etc.

It would be great if we could use this topic to report experiences. smile.gif

Totally off-topic but has anyone released an ASI or CLEO3 that toggles weather supported sync time with local time, yet?

Silent
  • Silent

• Feroci Racing
  • Poland
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

As far as I know, you may only have problems with SAAC.

And yes, I think that Virtual Store is active only on Windows and Program Files dirs.

Midnightz
  • Midnightz

Populus vult decipi.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

QUOTE (SilentPL @ Tuesday, Jan 29 2013, 12:11)
As far as I know, you may only have problems with SAAC.

And yes, I think that Virtual Store is active only on Windows and Program Files dirs.

SAAC confused.gif I never never never never want to use the keyboard + mouse config. That's for "other" PC games, lol.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users