Photo

DUST 514

95 replies to this topic
Greasepalms
  • Greasepalms

Ya gon' dun goof'd up

• The Yardies
  • Portugal

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:48 PM Edited by Greasepalms, 26 January 2013 - 02:46 PM.

DUST 514® brings intense infantry combat, large-scale warfare, and deep character advancement to a free-to-play massively multiplayer shooter, exclusively on the PlayStation®3

Wage war in the next generation of first-person shooters, where a single victory could prove the crushing blow to a galactic empire of thousands of EVE Online® gamers.

http://www.dust514.com/
Official forum: https://forums.dust5...om/default.aspx

The open beta is out and available for everyone with a PSN account, stats and unlocks will carry on to commercial release version, so get grinding!

Create a character through the website and get exclusive bonuses:
https://dust514.com/recruit/w9MP5w/
Anyone who signs up for a DUST 514 account and logs into the game using your referral link will receive exclusive starter gear. They'll thank you later.

Gameplay:

I've been playing the closed beta for a couple months now and it's shaping up to be one heck of a game, definitely worth a try icon14.gif

AndyGanteks
  • AndyGanteks

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica
  • Contribution Award [Sports]
    Most Skilled Player 2013
    Best Event 2013 "GTAF Gang League 2013"
    Most Valuable Player 2012
    Best Contributor [Multiplayer] 2012
    Most Valuable Player 2011
    Winner of World Cup 2010 Prediction League
    Best Event 2010 "GTAF Gang League 2010"
    Most Valuable Player 2010
    Best Team Player 2010

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

Looks fun, loving those orbital strikes and stuff. Hopefully it has lots of explosions!

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

I'm back as a changed man.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

I played the exclusive Playstation Plus beta with my Trial.

Very amazing game and it's so much fun! icon14.gif

Rewas514
  • Rewas514

Derp™

• The Yardies
  • Lithuania
  • Best Snapmatic [Scenery] 2013

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:38 PM Edited by COOLMAN12234555896, 20 January 2013 - 08:40 PM.

Looks cool. Gonna play it. Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

ClaudeSpeed1911
  • ClaudeSpeed1911

J.E.C.

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:46 AM

The game is very good but it eat the my HDD.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

I used to be big into EVE Online and only stopped playing like a year ago. How does Dust 514 fit into the mechanics of the EVE universe as a whole?

Greasepalms
  • Greasepalms

Ya gon' dun goof'd up

• The Yardies
  • Portugal

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:55 PM Edited by Greasepalms, 21 January 2013 - 01:00 PM.

QUOTE (Outcast @ Monday, Jan 21 2013, 05:02)
How does Dust 514 fit into the mechanics of the EVE universe as a whole?

I'm not too familiar with EvE as I've never played but, from my (very basic) understanding of the whole integration of both games is that:
EvE pilots, corps, and what not, will be able to hire Dust mercs for them to defend/invade a planet in a certain sector, thus influencing the sector's control towards the galactic empire which the mercs/pilots were fighting for.

No doubt there's much more to it than capturing and defending planets for the EvE dudes, the video above shows Dust mercs assigned to wiping out a drone infestation, from which you'll be able to collect minerals/metal/whatever to supply the EvE market.

Said EvE market will also be shared with the Marketplace present in Dust 514, every item available to buy for Dust mercs (weapons, dropsuits, modules...) will be manufactured by EvE dudes. Player run economy, to keep it simple.

Then there's the planetary/orbital interaction between both games, EvE pilots will be able to supports Dust mercs with orbital strikes (per request of Dust squad leaders, EvE pilots wont be able to bomb a planet at will). EvE pilots won't be safe up there floating in orbit tho; high value battles in Nullsec and what not, are sure to bring a lot of attention from multiple pilots, generating a battle for orbital control, all at the same time while a raging battle is happening on the ground between mercenaries.

There's this vid, from the EvE side of things, showing a bit of planetary interaction:

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

could you PLEASE stop using that f*cking blue font?!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

What's actually special about this game? I played it for a little and just didn't like it (map too open, it has a pay-to-win system, the list goes on) but orbital strikes are relative to my interests...

arsenal_fan
  • arsenal_fan

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

I haven't used my PSN Plus trial which I've had sicne i bought Hitman Absolution, will definitely use it now to give this game a go, looks very interesting

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • Poland

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

MEH. Looks like PlanetSide 2 for me, which isn't too inventive. I'm still waiting for a large-scale multiplayer shooter set in the present-day jungle. Something like Delta Force: Xtreme/Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising.

Greasepalms
  • Greasepalms

Ya gon' dun goof'd up

• The Yardies
  • Portugal

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:20 PM Edited by Greasepalms, 21 January 2013 - 08:24 PM.

QUOTE (LazyboyEight @ Monday, Jan 21 2013, 10:13)
map too open, it has a pay-to-win system, the list goes on)

I have to disagree.

Some maps, yes, are quite open and more suitable for vehicular combat but the thing is, there will be thousands of maps available.
Pre-generated maps that is, because we are, essentially, fighting in barren worlds (deserts, tundras, canyons, etc..), not in urban centers and what not. So in short, there will be a huge variation of map types, whether is it fighting inside a compound or in a huge canyon.

As for Pay-to-Win, sorry but I have to disagree once again. You can purchase gear with real life money, yes, but that gear is in no way superior to in-game currency gear. It simply allows you to buy certain gear with a lower skill requirement of its counterpart.

@arsenal_fan: The beta will be available to public on the 22nd (tomorrow), no need for PS Plus.

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

QUOTE (Greasepalms @ Monday, Jan 21 2013, 20:20)

I have to disagree.

Some maps, yes, are quite open and more suitable for vehicular combat but the thing is, there will be thousands of maps available.
Pre-generated maps that is, because we are, essentially, fighting in barren worlds (deserts, tundras, canyons, etc..), not in urban centers and what not. So in short, there will be a huge variation of map types, whether is it fighting inside a compound or in a huge canyon.

As for Pay-to-Win, sorry but I have to disagree once again. You can purchase gear with real life money, yes, but that gear is in no way superior to in-game currency gear. It simply allows you to buy certain gear with a lower skill requirement of its counterpart.

@arsenal_fan: The beta will be available to public on the 22nd (tomorrow), no need for PS Plus.

The maps actually sound quite good. I've got the game waiting on my XMB so should I give it a shot again?

And about the pay-to-win, that's my point, everyone else buys high level stuff at the beginning so that low-levels can't get high levels without paying...

Greasepalms
  • Greasepalms

Ya gon' dun goof'd up

• The Yardies
  • Portugal

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:31 PM Edited by Greasepalms, 21 January 2013 - 10:35 PM.

QUOTE (LazyboyEight @ Monday, Jan 21 2013, 16:59)
QUOTE (Greasepalms @ Monday, Jan 21 2013, 20:20)

I have to disagree.

The maps actually sound quite good. I've got the game waiting on my XMB so should I give it a shot again?

Well, you may as well wait for tomorrow when it turns to open beta, not sure if they're going to release a new update.

And about the pay-to-win, that's my point, everyone else buys high level stuff at the beginning so that low-levels can't get high levels without paying...

Well yes but the Aurum (real cash) gear available is usually only 1 tier ahead compared to the ISK (in-game currency) gear of the same tier. So basically you're paying for gear belonging to the next tier, so if I have a tier 2 ISK assault rifle and you have a tier 1 AUR AR, you really don't have any advantage over me, even tho I didn't spend any money on my game and you did.

Keeping it short, I've been playing the closed beta for like 3 months now and, from my experience, I can say that this game is not Pay-to-Win. Note that I've invested a couple bucks in the game myself to try out AUR gear, so I know what I'm talking about here. icon14.gif

Moth
  • Moth

Canis Canem Edit

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:12 PM

QUOTE (LazyboyEight @ Monday, Jan 21 2013, 16:59)
And about the pay-to-win, that's my point, everyone else buys high level stuff at the beginning so that low-levels can't get high levels without paying...[/color][/SIZE]

When you die, you lose all of your gear. So it really comes down to skill, who the f*ck cares if they have marginal better gear, if they suck. They will be spending a lot of money, to keep that gear.

Greasepalms
  • Greasepalms

Ya gon' dun goof'd up

• The Yardies
  • Portugal

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:12 PM Edited by Greasepalms, 22 January 2013 - 08:17 PM.

updated first post with Open Beta trailer.

Speaking of beta, it is now (or later today) available for everyone to download on the PS store, go and check it out!

You may want to give the forums a check too in case you become confused of what the heck is going on:
https://forums.dust5...om/default.aspx

There should be something useful under 'Training Grounds'.

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

I'm back as a changed man.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

I can't even get any kills. angry.gif
I respawn and then one second later I die. angry.gif

Greasepalms
  • Greasepalms

Ya gon' dun goof'd up

• The Yardies
  • Portugal

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

QUOTE (theomenofficial @ Tuesday, Jan 22 2013, 15:45)

Maybe you can ask to join a corporation over at the forums, it can get tough playing by yourself.

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE (Greasepalms @ Tuesday, Jan 22 2013, 21:27)

Maybe you can ask to join a corporation over at the forums, it can get tough playing by yourself.

But Greeeeaaaaaaassssseeeeeeee, other people from unventured forums are always stuck up patronizing pricks! tounge.gif

I was gonna play this again today but I forgot...

First time I played all I did was drive my buggy around. I hate the vehicle controls so I got bored XD

AndyGanteks
  • AndyGanteks

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica
    Most Skilled Player 2013
    Best Team Player 2010

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

QUOTE (LazyboyEight @ Tuesday, Jan 22 2013, 22:42)
QUOTE (Greasepalms @ Tuesday, Jan 22 2013, 21:27)

But Greeeeaaaaaaassssseeeeeeee, other people from unventured forums are always stuck up patronizing pricks! tounge.gif

I was gonna play this again today but I forgot...

First time I played all I did was drive my buggy around. I hate the vehicle controls so I got bored XD

Play with some of the Damned MC yo, you'll like the game more with the squad play.

Anyway, tried it today, great stuff, can't wait to try out orbital strikes!

A J
  • A J

Damned Brotherhood [DAMN]

• Members
  • Wales
  • Best Event 2012 [Gang Wars]

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

I'll be giving this a try soon Lazy, perhaps others in the Damned too, it's free after all!

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:03 PM Edited by LazyboyEight, 24 January 2013 - 10:12 PM.

So it's 6PM and I've ran out of sh*t to do. I'm all "Lazy it's six you've got nothing left to do why don't you play DUST"

So I boot up DUST. Wham. Update screen. A big update. LIke, an hour. So I'm all "f*ck this sh*t" But then I think again "but dude you've got sh*t left to do..."

I was looking forward to it too, I wonder when I'll actually get that update done. tounge.gif

AndyGanteks
  • AndyGanteks

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica
    Most Skilled Player 2013
    Best Team Player 2010

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

The in-game update took me 5 mins

Greasepalms
  • Greasepalms

Ya gon' dun goof'd up

• The Yardies
  • Portugal

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

For those who don't know what this game is, here's a commentary w/ some nice footage:

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:51 PM Edited by LazyboyEight, 24 January 2013 - 11:36 PM.

QUOTE (AndyGanteks @ Thursday, Jan 24 2013, 22:23)
The in-game update took me 5 mins

The update I got is one of the PSN ones. it's probably just an update to the full game as the one i've got is the beta...

EDIT: sh*t that vid is waaaaaaaay better than what I remember, i'll defo get that update

LewisMiller
  • LewisMiller

Luton Tannnnnn

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:20 AM

Would you guys recommend this game? I have it downloaded I think, I just never installed it.

Greasepalms
  • Greasepalms

Ya gon' dun goof'd up

• The Yardies
  • Portugal

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

QUOTE (LewisMiller @ Friday, Jan 25 2013, 05:20)
Would you guys recommend this game? I have it downloaded I think, I just never installed it.

What harm could it possible do? Try it out, find someone to play with, and don't ragequit.

PlaystationGamer266
  • PlaystationGamer266

Playa

• Members

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

f*cking hell!!

I absolutely suck at this game, i have no idea what i'm doing, and these c*nts keep blind siding me!

Greasepalms
  • Greasepalms

Ya gon' dun goof'd up

• The Yardies
  • Portugal

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

QUOTE (PlaystationGamer266 @ Friday, Jan 25 2013, 09:35)
f*cking hell!!

I absolutely suck at this game, i have no idea what i'm doing, and these c*nts keep blind siding me!

Everyone sucks when they start, specially in Dust, that's something you have to accept if you want to commit yourself to this game.

Check out the Training Grounds over at the Dust official forums:
https://forums.dust5...?g=topics&f=899

If you can't be arsed with leveling up your skills, getting better gear, finding a corporation to play for; then you can delete the game off of your XMB.

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:13 PM Edited by LazyboyEight, 25 January 2013 - 05:20 PM.

Well that's a shame. I planned to play it today so I put the mandatory PSN update on, it says it'll be completed in one hour. No problem, I go watch TV.

Half an hour later I check on it. It's at 34% and it still says it'll completed in an hour.
Fair enough

I check back another half hour later, it's STILL at 34% but now it says "completed in 107 minutes" which is absolute bullsh*t and completely disappointing.

Complete waste of HDD space.

f*ck you, Sony.

jelly
  • jelly

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:06 AM

QUOTE (Outcast @ Monday, Jan 21 2013, 11:02)
I used to be big into EVE Online and only stopped playing like a year ago. How does Dust 514 fit into the mechanics of the EVE universe as a whole?

It doesn't really, not yet. It's still more akin to a tech demo or a test than any kind of proper integration. Their plans are grand, but for now the markets are still separated and there's only a halfassed influence over factional warfare implemented at present.

Currently, DUST people can:

• talk in local in their home systems (they never actually leave this system as far as the game is concerned)
  • talk in chat channels, which are the same as Eve channels
  • join corporations and talk in corporation chat with Eve players
  • laser targets for orbital bombardment. apparently you need a kill streak in-game to earn one of these strikes. it doesn't actually cost money.

As for how the bombardment works, that's all here: http://wiki.eveonlin...ST_514_Link_FAQ

I'm almost tempted to train a low-skill destroyer alt to go bomb some console gamers. I didn't care too much at first since I figured it wouldn't be all that important, but there's some excellent tears to be had with this mechanic.

[16:01:08] <him> God damn f*cking orbitals
[16:01:21] <him> this game is a joke
[16:02:00] <him> it's bullsh*t that free killstreaks instantkill my tank, it doesn't matter how much I invest into tanking it
[16:02:19] <him> they are FREE
[16:03:17] <him> it should be less accurate
[16:04:04] <him> it takes 3 splash or one direct hit to kill my tank
[16:04:47] <him> The question is why should I bother?
[16:05:30] <him> f*ck you all, the hull is more expensive than a proto fit suit
[16:05:31] <me> less QQ, more pew pew.
[16:05:33] <me> harden the f*ck up
[16:05:41] <him> F*CK
[16:05:43] <him> YOU
[16:05:45] <me> <3

Tell me that isn't priceless. Makes me want to load up a cheap-ass Thrasher with bombardment ammo right this second..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users