Any Bowie fans here? confused with his story album

7 replies to this topic
playaindahood
  • playaindahood

Cooljunk Productions

• Members

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:45 AM

(and The Spiders From Mars)

I am assuming that every song has to do with Ziggy Stardust, who I take it, is some alien/god who is coming to give hope to Earth, which only has 5 years left. I think the song "Starman" is throwing me off because it sounds like Ziggy (the "starman" right?) cannot actually come down to earth because he thinks he'll "blow their minds" right? so how in the later songs, is he able to be on stage performing in front of people on Earth? And when did he bring his "The Spiders From Mars" band with him?
what have I misinterpreted here? I'm confused. please help! thanks.

AlphaWaveMovement
  • AlphaWaveMovement

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

The Starman is a different being entirely alien.gif

He waits in the sky, he knows its all worth while.

Starman is like Ziggy's 'God'

playaindahood
  • playaindahood

Cooljunk Productions

• Members

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

QUOTE (AlphaWaveMovement @ Sunday, Jan 20 2013, 14:15)

But what about the lyrics "if we can sparkle he may land tonight"

and then in the next song on the album "It ain't easy" it says "It ain't easy to get to heaven when you're going down." It makes it sound like this god/alien is actually coming down to earth.

Also, in the later songs, there seems to be no mention of Ziggy's god (starman) so it seems to be that Ziggy is the Starman.

What do you think of this?

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE (playaindahood @ Sunday, Jan 20 2013, 15:59)

I think you may be looking for something to be deeper than it actually is. It's cool though, and worth the thought and energy.

The Ziggy Stardust years might be my favorite time for Bowie.

AlphaWaveMovement
  • AlphaWaveMovement

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:09 PM

QUOTE (playaindahood @ Sunday, Jan 20 2013, 19:59)

and then in the next song on the album "It ain't easy" it says "It ain't easy to get to heaven when you're going down." It makes it sound like this god/alien is actually coming down to earth.

Also, in the later songs, there seems to be no mention of Ziggy's god (starman) so it seems to be that Ziggy is the Starman.

the song is a small part of a slightly separate story of a much bigger scale

That 'hazy cosmic jive' on the radio is Ziggy alright but he's merely the starmans earthly messenger alien.gif

playaindahood
  • playaindahood

Cooljunk Productions

• Members

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:01 PM Edited by playaindahood, 22 January 2013 - 06:30 AM.

QUOTE (AlphaWaveMovement @ Sunday, Jan 20 2013, 23:09)
QUOTE (playaindahood @ Sunday, Jan 20 2013, 19:59)

the song is a small part of a slightly separate story of a much bigger scale

That 'hazy cosmic jive' on the radio is Ziggy alright but he's merely the starmans earthly messenger alien.gif

dammit. wikipedia says that bowie said that the starman is some anti matter being. not ziggy. i guess it would have helped if i identified the speaker of the songs as ziggy and not some random person.

Dale Nixon
  • Dale Nixon

methane on my mind

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

Don't interpret Bowie's lyrics so literally. There is a lot of metaphorical content on that album and Bowie's writing in general.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

The way I interpret it is that it is part autobiographical, and part space age zeitgeist. Bowie was a cultural outsider from the get go, and in conservative (with a small c) Britain, he spoke to alienated youth in a crumbling post-imperial society in decline. At the same time he was being self-referential - a trait which carried on throughout his carrier to the present day.

Most people think of Ziggy as one of Bowie's alter egos and a period of his life. Another thing to remember is the cultural significance of his first record "Space Oddity". It was rushed out by his record label to co-incide with the moon landings in 69 and was used by the BBC when it televised the event.

In that song, Major Tom just carries on going into outer space in his capsule, never to return. Could it be that Ziggy is the returning Major Tom - a transformed Bowie? Whatever it is, when Bowie puts his arm around Mick Ronson in the TOTP performance of Starman, it feels like a call to a generation. It's probably one of the most influential performances ever on the show.

To me the whole Ziggy/Starman thing was Bowie being his alien self

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users