Photo

Batman: Arkham Origins

140 replies to this topic
dp415263
  • dp415263

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:54 AM

Im very impressed with arkham origins. The only thing that I don't like is that the joker has a big role again.... but then again how they introduced him was very pretty sweet, and im also loving the small little easter eggs around the city.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:58 AM

I'm hearing all the platforms are having trouble. I personally have had the game freeze on me three or four times since Friday night. There are considerable popup issues and the environmental textures are pretty low res. And the cutscenes have major audio issues at times, where the audio completely goes out, then the picture freezes, and then the audio catches up, and it's normal after that. Very annoying, though.

Luckily the game has a good auto save system.

Sup3rman
  • Sup3rman

Legen- wait for it -dary

• Members

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:43 PM

Yeah, there are a lot of bugs in the game. For example: police enforcers or whoever badguy can just get a random pose and stand in air, and you can go through it; then there are moments where the bad guy is inside a wall where you cant go...very annoying, had to start all over again while being far.

But overall i really enjoy the game, the graphics and the story and the villains are perfect. Voice overs are excellent, music is mindblowingly good. But there are framerate jumps often and the damn glitches and bugs. Also, i don't really like how they give so few clues on what to or where to go exactly next. Thats quite annoying, had to look up things on internet to know what to do and how and where. Oh and im playing on PC, still playing the story.

iiConTr0v3rSYx
  • iiConTr0v3rSYx

Warning.... Warning... Controversy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:54 PM

It's a good game so far, but I'm not blown away like how I was for the first two games.

I do love the detective parts of the game

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

=VP=

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

Is Zsasz going to make an appearance? always liked his missions in the previous games.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:04 PM

Is Zsasz going to make an appearance? always liked his missions in the previous games.

I'm not done with the game, but I don't think he's in it.  I think we're to assume that this was before Zsasz started killing, because it's before Penguin had the Iceberg Lounge, and Zsasz starts killing people after a trip to the lounge.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:26 AM Edited by The Yokel, 30 October 2013 - 09:27 AM.

Bugs aside, I hear that the PC version is far better optimized than both previous titles and it can run on highest settings without dropping below 60fps on some pretty modest hardware. Yet the console version struggles to maintain 30fps. What's the deal with that?

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:15 PM Edited by darthYENIK, 30 October 2013 - 06:16 PM.

This is a copy and paste from another post I've made, but this is my thoughts on the game after finishing the single player campaign...

I finished Arkham Origins.  All in all, it's a great game.  Almost as good as Arkham City.  But without the writing talents of a seasoned Batman writer (they used the guys that wrote Assassin's Creed), it just doesn't feel like the game was made out of the story.  It feels like the story came from the game, which is not how the first two games felt like.  It also feels like a video game storyline.  It feels like their process was, "We have these characters already for us to use.  Let's make some set pieces, and then build a story around it."  And on top of that, Joker

Spoiler
which is getting boring.  I complain most about this because it's something that made those first games great.

It feels like much less of a Batman game than the other two.  In the other two games, there are so many easter eggs and allusions to the wider Batman universe.  Things like in Arkham Asylum, Catwoman's goggles and claws, or the poster for the Iceberg Lounge.  Things implemented in Arkham City.  I was really hoping to see the same cross over as that, but the most they can come up with is Black Mask and Firefly.  No Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee.  No Great White Shark.  No Ventriloquist.  And on top of that, you don't see many allusions to the wider Batman world.  There's a couple things, like a poster (the same from Arkham City) for the flying Graysons, and then there are allusions to the wider DC comics universe with shipping containers from both Queen Industries and Farris Aircraft, as well as a poster for Zatanna's magic show.  But they're not interactive, and you can't learn anything about their history, like in the first two games.

There are other minor gripes, like how suddenly they're changing the established origin story between

Spoiler
, and the placement of buildings, compared to how they're supposed to be in Arkham City.  And of course this game is pretty damn buggy, which the first two games surprisingly were not.

But other than those minor gripes and comparisons to the previous games, on it's own, Arkham Origins' single player (I have yet to play the multiplayer) is a great fun, like the other games.  And in a good comparison to the other games, is much harder, in my opinion than the first two installments.  You usually fight much larger groups of thugs, and they are armed with all sorts of knives, bats (the baseball kind), and armor that makes it a challenge even for a seasoned Arkham vet like me.  Add the new juiced up thugs, who some are just large brutes, some are martial arts experts who can counter your attacks, and others are juiced up mini-Banes, all of which you need to handle differently than the average goon.  It's a refreshing and rewarding challenge, and very welcome in this series.  There are also new side missions that require "detective work"  to solve.  I used quotations on detective work because all you do is put on detective mode, and follow the large red arrows, making it rather simple to solve crime, and making you feel much less like Batman.  But it's still a fun distraction.  There are also, "crime in progress" random encounters, where you might find some GCPD officers pinned down behind a car, with a group of thugs closing in, or a ATM being ripped off, or even arms deals.

I still hold that Arkham Asylum, is the perfect game, and it's hard to explain, but Arkham City is better than Arkham Asylum, but at the same time isn't quite perfect.  And then Arkham Origins is far from perfect, but still a great game.

I'd give it an 8/10.

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Uncle T

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:50 PM Edited by Xerukal, 30 October 2013 - 08:52 PM.

Good game. Definitely a worthy entry in the Arkham series. I think Origins is the type of game that'll shine more in the long run. When Rocksteady decides to expand the series further, people may be more appreciative of some of the lore in Origins, when they look back. Like how it expanded on the style of the Arkham games. 

In example, all of the designs of the characters (visual and non-visual) were great. Very Arkham-verse-like. It fits right in. Although you can definitely see WB Montreal didn't quite have the same amount of care and attention to detail as Rocksteady. They still did a damn nice job making Gotham look pretty beautiful at times. But not really Rocksteady-level.

Which is, in all honesty, quite fine. WB Montreal is only a mere 3 years old now, they have like nothing noteworthy under their belt. For them to pull this off, even with the almost identical engine and resources? It was quite surprising and nice. They could've f*cked it up way more. But they didn't. That's a welcome sign. 

All in all, I enjoyed the game and greatly appreciated Deathstroke finally being featured in something as big as an Arkham game. 

Spoiler

So I agree, an 8 or an 8.3 out of 10 is very appropriate. 

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:05 PM

All in all, I enjoyed the game and greatly appreciated Deathstroke finally being featured in something as big as an Arkham game. 

Spoiler

That looks pretty cool.  I don't think it'll be DLC, though, because there used to be rumors of a

Spoiler
game.

I'd love to see a DLC involving Batgirl.  They set it up in the game.

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Uncle T

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:22 AM

Spoiler

That looks pretty cool.  I don't think it'll be DLC, though, because there used to be rumors of a

Spoiler
game.

I'd love to see a DLC involving Batgirl.  They set it up in the game.

A SS game? There were rumors? That's awesome. Hoping that's what it all meant. 

Reaper Madness
  • Reaper Madness

Snitch

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:49 AM

This game isn't the best Arkham but it was great for Montreal's first try. I believe a prequel was best to flesh out some backstory for Batman newcomers and it paves a way to future gen console releases. 

Good story

Plenty of side missions to keep busy

Nice read on lore

Combat seems a bit worse then before, mostly due to countering. I feel like thugs get more lucky punches this time around. 

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Uncle T

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:13 AM Edited by Xerukal, 31 October 2013 - 03:14 AM.

This game isn't the best Arkham but it was great for Montreal's first try. I believe a prequel was best to flesh out some backstory for Batman newcomers and it paves a way to future gen console releases. 

Good story

Plenty of side missions to keep busy

Nice read on lore

Combat seems a bit worse then before, mostly due to countering. I feel like thugs get more lucky punches this time around. 

Same. No idea what happened to the counters, lol. They just seem so much more annoying than in City. 

• Reaper Madness likes this

iiConTr0v3rSYx
  • iiConTr0v3rSYx

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:07 AM

Boring Riddler challenges as well.

Don't want any spoilers so far (work has kept me from playing the game), but do you ever face Deathstroke again after the first battle?

And Yeah. Countering does seem off in this game.

I was getting my ass kicked during the Killer Croc fight because of it. What a lame fight that was.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:57 PM

@darthYENIK: I don't really understand your criticism that the game doesn't have many allusions to the wider Batman universe. It's a prequel set two years after Bruce Wayne became the Batman. Many people still didn't believe that he's real. There shouldn't be many allusions. It wouldn't make much sense. It's practically the beginning of that universe.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:34 PM

@darthYENIK: I don't really understand your criticism that the game doesn't have many allusions to the wider Batman universe. It's a prequel set two years after Bruce Wayne became the Batman. Many people still didn't believe that he's real. There shouldn't be many allusions. It wouldn't make much sense. It's practically the beginning of that universe.

That's not how comics work.  Characters and events have histories.  Even if they don't show up until they snap and start being bad doesn't mean villains didn't exist until then.  Two Face was Harvey Dent, obviously, right?  He had a career.  He had a story.  The same goes for many Batman Villains and figures.  Poison Ivy was a Botanist.  Mr. Freeze was a Biologist.  Hugo Strange was a psychiatrist. Kirk Langstrom AKA Man-Bat was a Biologist. (a lot of Batman's enemies have doctorates).  And where are his allies?  We see that the Flying Graysons are still alive and kicking, and that Barbara Gordon is still a teenager, but where's Lucius Fox?  Where's Kate Kane?  These things could have been subtly alluded to.

Another thing that bugs me is how on this one night, Batman meets Joker, Penguin, Killer Croc,

Spoiler
and Bane.  That's five of the biggest hitters in Batman's rogue's gallery.  And on top of that, events happen in the game, that should have happened in Year One.  First meeting Commissioner Gordon, and gaining his trust, as well as becoming a hero in the eyes of the people of Gotham, all should have been done by then.  I don't get why they were so obsessed with it being "year two", because it would make much more sense to me if it were the very end of Year One.  That's usually known as the point where he goes from the myth of "the bat-man", a boogie-man for criminal and innocent alike, to Batman, the hero of Gotham City, which is pretty much the theme of this game.

Bat1
  • Bat1

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:43 AM

As a gamer I give it an 8/10 for being buggy.  As a comic fan I give it 10/10 for perfectly capturing the feel and mood it set out to achieve.

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

=VP=

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:01 PM Edited by Majestic81, 05 November 2013 - 10:02 PM.

I played for about 5 hours, i like it but Arkham city had a better atmosphere and villains. and is it me or does Arkham city have nicer graphics? in AC they felt more sharper and real. Origins still looks good, but AC looked way better. and im glad that im able to run Origins with higher settings and more FPS. arkham city ran a little slower on the same PC.

I also prefer the bat's custom from city over the one in this game.

iiConTr0v3rSYx
  • iiConTr0v3rSYx

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:30 AM

Just started the game up and got a update/patch, now my game is corrupt.

f*ck this sh*t. Just got finished with that sh*tty Bane fight too. Fix this sh*t WD or this game is off to my local game store.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:06 AM

I still haven't played multiplayer. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

iiConTr0v3rSYx
  • iiConTr0v3rSYx

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:24 AM

I still haven't played multiplayer. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

A cluster f*ck.

Not like you're going to find a game anyway as the MP is dead.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users