Photo

Newbie guide in GTA V forum

4 replies to this topic
GingerGrin
  • GingerGrin

The man with a naughty smile

• Members

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:56 AM

While going through the V forums, one thing I find is that a lot of new guys create topics that actually belong to some other thread and don't require a topic for itself. SO I thought why not create a Newbie guide which will help them to get used to the scheme of things quickly. For example, it will contain information about all the pinned topics and their uses, dedicated topics(like the Screenshot Fun) and some trending ones(which could be updated). Also the guide could contain some tips as to post what when and where. One advantage is see that it could make forums a lot more clutter free and obviously there are many others as well. Any scope for such a thread?

I have also uploaded a basic draft here.

Matty
  • Matty

Wiseguy

• Australia

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:14 AM

There is already a newbie guide here - IMO I'd much rather see that be linked at the top of the GTA V section as it covers everything related to the forum and then some; rather than a mini-guide in the GTA V section that only a handful of people will read.

As for a list of topics, I tried doing something similar here ages ago, however it didn't work out as it quickly found its way to the bottom of the topic index where nobody would see it. The best thing you can do, which I learned a long time ago, is to report duplicate topics; linking to the original topic in the report, and let the moderators deal with it. Duplicate topics are usually dealt with pretty quickly anyway.

Just my opinion of course.

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada
  • Best Forum Ledby 2011
    Best Forum Ledby 2010
    GTANet Contribution Award
    GTANet Helpfulness Award

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:16 AM Edited by Ryan, 14 January 2013 - 05:22 AM.

It's unlikely. Pinned topics are quite often overlooked by people, and creating an index of topics is redundant as we have the forum index. If people would just look around and do a bit of searching instead of being so horny with the new topic button, a lot of issues would be solved.

QUOTE (DTUMan @ Monday, Jan 14 2013, 01:14)
The best thing you can do, which I learned a long time ago, is to report duplicate topics; linking to the original topic in the report, and let the moderators deal with it. Duplicate topics are usually dealt with pretty quickly anyway.

Just want to elaborate on this. If someone creates a topic about something that there is already a big topic for (I.E. new screenshots) or there is a topic about the same thing on the same page, report it and we'll probably lock or merge them. Don't report a topic with a link to a topic about the same thing that is 4 months old. It's a waste of your time and ours as we're just going to ignore it. We're there to moderate the discussion, not hinder it but having everyone post in a single topic about the same idea.

Sgt. Foley
  • Sgt. Foley

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

Oh god, please add something like this.

Shoumic
  • Shoumic

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Best Signature 2013
    Best Signature 2012

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

There's also another newbie guide over here . Another useful thread for people who are not willing to go through a guide as big as miro's.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users