For the ♥ of $$$

284 replies to this topic
Gilligan
  • Gilligan

Midnight Toker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:47 PM

I find most of the ideas I read on the original post quite interesting. I've always felt that Grand Theft Auto needed a more realistic economy and even some new and realistic ways for people to use their money. As meta rightly said, after a period of time money becomes a useless addition to the game because no matter how many firearms and clothes (using the example of GTA IV) you buy, you're still going to have hundreds of thousands on your statistics which in the end makes the player question why on Earth the pay-outs for missions and side missions were so large.

Also agreeing with meta, in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City the money earned was put to good use and the player good purchase properties and what not, but even then the money the player received was substantially high. In San Andreas the system seemed to have progressed and would seem to be more realistic but in the end, there was just too much money left over, even after buying the houses you could. However money is needed in these games to show off and to buy miscellaneous things, but that should be limited. There should be more side-jobs and maybe even ways of extorting somehow to make money after missions.

Again, as meta said, in Saints Row 3 how the player could purchase businesses, houses/apartments and vehicles was an idea that Rockstar should contemplate implementing into Grand Theft Auto V. With Grand Theft Auto there's so many opportunities to make the game realistic yet keep the standards of entertainment as the previous games in the series. Buying vehicles, houses/apartments and businesses (or investing) is all swell but then there's the question about how to enhance them and make sure that the economy is not ruined after that. I'd love to see a script implemented so that houses can be rented out to people (in both single player and multiplayer) but this is something that I feel is just a fantasy for now as the present state of games couldn't sustain that amount of scripting (or can it?). Adding onto this there should also be a system where the player can rent an apartment but must pay the rent weekly/monthly rather than just paying once.

I've been filled with so many ideas, not just the ones briefly stated above. If the player could buy firearms from the black market and not just illegal or legal ammunition stores (maybe have both) and have to buy extra ammunition separately for cheaper (as in GTA IV) it would be amazing. Illegal drug dealers being available to the player would also be outstanding and then there would be a system added where the player can use drugs in the game where he'd get [realistic] effects from drugs. Depending on which state there could also be some legal drug stores where you can not just get prescribed marijuana or other drugs such as morphine and xanex but also over-the-counter drugs such as painkillers, antibiotics and such.

There should also be a system where the player has to not just go and buy a hotdog or a burger to regain health but where they have to go to either a hospital or patch themselves up (some of you may have seen an example of the system in Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater) which would mean the player has to pay for the services from doctors/surgeons or purchase the correct bandages and medical equipment and drugs beforehand. An injury system would not only be a great addition to the general system but would also increase the amount of money being spent properly.

A better clothing system with a large amount of clothes such as what was seen in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas should be added too, which means the player could pick out clothes for the realistic amount of money. Not like in GTA IV where there was a very small range of clothing outfits to be purchased.

In my opinion there should also be buses/coaches, trains, taxis and other forms of public transportation including aeroplanes as featured again, in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. A large choice of foods and drinks to be purchased would also be a nice addition.

There's a lot of other ideas I've had such as murder for hire and such although I'll leave it at what I've stated otherwise the post will be filled up with too much and people won't bother to read it!

NightRavenGSA
  • NightRavenGSA

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:36 AM

Wow, just wow... Can't wait to see the movie, and I really love reading through all these posts, keep it up y'all icon14.gif

Gilligan
  • Gilligan

Midnight Toker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:35 AM

I'd also say another interesting and realistic way to improve the gameplay and what money is used for is to actually go to a garage and have your vehicles repaired instead of merely using a Pay 'N' Spray or by using parts you purchased earlier, using a realistic price method to boost the economy of the game and to enhance the money system.

orbitalraindrops
  • orbitalraindrops

Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:05 AM

This is a very well thought out topic.
I think it'd be cool to buy cars and then if you lose your car you have to pay however much money for someone to recover it. It'd be nice to have a vehicle similar to johnnys hexer in TLAD.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

QUOTE (Prominent Fate @ Friday, Mar 15 2013, 18:47)
... there should also be a system where the player can rent an apartment but must pay the rent weekly/monthly rather than just paying once.

This makes so much sense. Purchasing safehouses is great, but what if you wanted a temporary safehouse? One in a town that you don't spend much time in, but can rent for a few nights.

I never understood how, in San An, you could BUY a hotel suite. Huh? Realsies? That just wouldn't happen. But being able to drop $20 on a one off night in a motel, or dropping $400 a night on a luxury suite... that makes sense. Real sense.

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

Useful Idiot.

• The Connection

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE (Prominent Fate @ Saturday, Mar 16 2013, 08:35)
I'd also say another interesting and realistic way to improve the gameplay and what money is used for is to actually go to a garage and have your vehicles repaired instead of merely using a Pay 'N' Spray or by using parts you purchased earlier, using a realistic price method to boost the economy of the game and to enhance the money system.

This actually points out a very good and incredibly simplistic way in which Rockstar could make money something we take a bit more seriously. Using the example Prominent used of repairing our cars, why not put these things are a more realistic price? I'm pretty damn sure that the cost of repairing a car that's on the verge of death is a lot more than $100, so perhaps taking the amount of damage into account, we can be charged a more realistic price. Want to fix that broken headlight? That'll be $50. Want to repair a missing windscreen, four new tires, new engine parts? That'll be $1000. You could even go so far as to apply different costs to different cars based on their class. Some crappy jalopy will cost only a few bucks whereas your Cheetah is going to be a far steeper affair. As for your ultra-rare car that you had to buy to get your hands on, well, that's going to cost even more.

The great thing about this is that it can tie into the street racing system that was proposed. For example, in the previous race you won $5000 but you drove recklessly and will need to spend $1000 on repairs. This simultaneously solves the problem of making money without having any way to spend it as it'll balance itself out over time. Of course, there'll be some folk who can drive perfectly and continue earning that money, but if even half the ideas here were taken on-board, they'd have plenty of other ways to spend it.

This principle of more realistic prices can be applied to many things. Clothing, for example. In IV, the most expensive suit was $2000. A relatively realistic price tag, I think. But seeing as though we're in LA this time, a place full of fashionistas and trend-setting hipsters, I think it's safe to assume that clothing is a more expensive luxury out there. I don't doubt for a second that Rockstar will fail to reflect this as they're usually razor sharp at picking out the things that give a certain city its character.

On the subject of renting hotel rooms, it was spotted a while ago that the number for the rental place was the same on both signs we see in the trailers. I don't want to turn this into some kind of rumour mill, but I thought I'd mention it. Regardless, this is a feature I'd love to see. We had a very similar system in Red Dead so I don't see it being something that's out of their reach.

Archangelsky
  • Archangelsky

Snitch

• Members

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:15 PM Edited by Archangelsky, 16 March 2013 - 05:24 PM.

I have not read the entire thread, but I think that one of the ways that could make money work better in GTA V would be due to the fact that we now can switch between three characters.

To me it seems that Michael is pretty set, though we do not know how much money he got and if he has debt etc (debt would be an interesting feature in the game), he has a rich lifestyle and got to finance it somehow, actually I would like to see some kind of regular balance sheet that deducts money from your account on a regular basis, for the things that one needs to have in order to live, paying bills etc. It would not have to be extremely detailed, the point is that the more money you got the bigger the amount gets deducted from your total as you live more expensive.

However another possibility is in the co-operation between the three characters, which means that if we assume that Michael is also the boss of the three he will also get the biggest cut from the heists etc, whereas Trevor and Franklin could have a much lesser amount after a job, in that way you have to work more playing the characters of Trevor and Franklin in order to achieve Michaels lifestyle. That kind of makes sense already from what we know of the characters but still.

Killerdude8
  • Killerdude8

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:23 AM

F*cking hell, this topic is beautiful, So many potential money things...
I sure hope they implement most of this stuff..
cookie.gif cookie.gif

meta187
  • meta187

Challenge Convention, Question Authority.

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Gaming] 2013
    Best Member in a Group 2010

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:32 AM Edited by meta187, 20 March 2013 - 02:24 AM.

So at this point in the thread we've discussed physical money, unique vehicles to spend money on, rentable Hotels and Motels to keep you closer to the mission start but also to give you something to spend money on from time to time.

One aspect of all this that we could apply a unique notion to is the actual weapons Michael, Franklin and Trevor use.

Have Gun, Will Travel - Signature Weapons

Guncentric games like Borderlands very much put the focus on the weapons you use. Within different tiers and abilities they are generally disposable but some you end up holding on to till the very end of the game because of their unique class and special properties.

In Grand Theft Auto aside from a general preference there is no sentimental or special need to use one weapon over another. They are completely generic for the most part and you acquire them all through the same means, purchase or finding them randomly on the open world map. Now there has been some loose talk of weapon modifications being a feature in the upcoming game and I certainly don't want the level of resources being dumped into artillery that you see in Borderlands but it would be very cool if you had a weapon or a handful of weapons that each protagonist favors and has to acquire through special means, time invested and of course money spent.

Say Trevor has an Ol'Reliable shotgun or sniper rifle that he's had for years but during a bad time he lost it to a Pawn Shop and finds out it was sold to dangerous people.

Franklin could have a special edition pair of nickel plated, Desert Eagles that allow him to duel wield that he has to go through considerable trouble to liberate from a military base Armory.

Michael might have a favorite pearl handled S&M style revolver from the old days that he handed off to someone he once trusted while trying to go legit but now finds that he misses the familiar use of it in his hands. The only problem is he ended things on bad terms with the person he entrusted it to and has to enter a conflict to get it back.

user posted image

Earlier in the thread we addressed the issue of having an elaborate armory built into each characters home as a sort of upgrade to physically store these weapons into. How cool would it feel to have that unique weapon have a special place on your weapon wall? When you're done with it or need to use something else you switch it out and place it lovingly back into it's place for the next special occasion you want to use it or you carry it regularly instead. Regardless, this would add character to your ahem..character and you could develop a tangible affinity for these weapons that were so difficult to acquire or spend a boatload of money to get.

Supernutz40
  • Supernutz40

GTAF Commissioner

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:36 AM

As I mentioned before, I like the idea of being able to buy guns and "store" them at our "residence". I like the idea of having some "special" guns for each player. I could easily see Trevor having some kind of shotgun, Michael with an assault riffle, and Francis with the nickle plated SMG. I would absolutely adore the idea of character "specific" weapons. That's one of those things that makes games fun. I just hope that there is some kind of weapon customization like MP3.

meta187
  • meta187

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:27 AM Edited by meta187, 20 March 2013 - 02:31 AM.

QUOTE (JesseHope40 @ Monday, Mar 18 2013, 09:36)
As I mentioned before, I like the idea of being able to buy guns and "store" them at our "residence". I like the idea of having some "special" guns for each player. I could easily see Trevor having some kind of shotgun, Michael with an assault riffle, and Francis with the nickle plated SMG. I would absolutely adore the idea of character "specific" weapons. That's one of those things that makes games fun. I just hope that there is some kind of weapon customization like MP3.

Yea, I mean definitely, everything we've seen so far certainly gives you the impression that each character has his own skill set and talents so having a few choice signature weapons that each of them use specifically that the others don't necessarily have access to using in the same fashion or with as much skill and accuracy again grants each character their own special autonomy and a solid reason to switch around between them during active missions and side tasks. If each character is equal in everything it becomes somewhat generic and you'd find yourself asking why did they put this protagonist switching mechanic in here to begin with.

Honest Bill
  • Honest Bill

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:55 AM

I like the idea that we could earn certain weapons. It occurred to me before, that it might be nice if, as one of the side activities, Trevor can do hunting missions out in the woods with his crazy paranoid friend. Upon satisfactory completion you would earn rewards. Let's say every 10 'unique' animals mission you do you get a reward. The early and easier ones could just be a small award, maybe something decorative like a bear skin rug or wall mounted trophy head, but when you complete them al, maybe you get a nicely crafted hunting rifle or shotgun. Something that looks really classy.

and all of these would appear at your little hunting cabin mounted on the walls or in display cases, so you can go in there and pick up that weapon anytime you want, and whatever other rewards there may be. Maybe some levels don't unlock material rewards, but they unlock other, related side stuff to do. Now that would be pretty cool, and give a large insentive for completing them all.

Perhaps Michael will get roped in to doing side missions for the FBI. some real espionage type missions involving stealth and Michael's cunning. You know? Breakin in to places stealing documents, your usual clandestine Hollywood movie business. So maybe he admires the gun that one of those guys is using, and as a reward for doing a certain amount of those, he gives you the gun, or better yet, it inlocks a small, yet fun string of missions which Michael initiates himself, all to get his hands on the gun and steal it from him... That sounds like fun to me.

meta187
  • meta187

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:20 AM

QUOTE (Honest Bill @ Wednesday, Mar 20 2013, 02:55)
I like the idea that we could earn certain weapons. It occurred to me before, that it might be nice if, as one of the side activities, Trevor can do hunting missions out in the woods with his crazy paranoid friend. Upon satisfactory completion you would earn rewards. Let's say every 10 'unique' animals mission you do you get a reward. The early and easier ones could just be a small award, maybe something decorative like a bear skin rug or wall mounted trophy head, but when you complete them al, maybe you get a nicely crafted hunting rifle or shotgun. Something that looks really classy.

and all of these would appear at your little hunting cabin mounted on the walls or in display cases, so you can go in there and pick up that weapon anytime you want, and whatever other rewards there may be. Maybe some levels don't unlock material rewards, but they unlock other, related side stuff to do. Now that would be pretty cool, and give a large insentive for completing them all.

Perhaps Michael will get roped in to doing side missions for the FBI. some real espionage type missions involving stealth and Michael's cunning. You know? Breakin in to places stealing documents, your usual clandestine Hollywood movie business. So maybe he admires the gun that one of those guys is using, and as a reward for doing a certain amount of those, he gives you the gun, or better yet, it inlocks a small, yet fun string of missions which Michael initiates himself, all to get his hands on the gun and steal it from him... That sounds like fun to me.

Those are both pretty good scenarios for Trevor and Michael.

How about Franklin?

Honest Bill
  • Honest Bill

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:25 AM

Well since Franklin is a fan of sniper rifles, he might get something like that. Or perhaps he gets some unique scope attachment or something like that. I'm not realy sure what kind of side missions Franklin will have available besides seemingly dirt-bike related ones.

Of course they should all earn a unique vehicle too. that would be a nice touch

GarrowsKai
  • GarrowsKai

I don't even like Dubstep

• Members

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:19 PM Edited by GarrowsKai, 21 March 2013 - 03:48 PM.

QUOTE (meta187 @ Thursday, Jan 10 2013, 01:45)
Physical Bits: Making bits, particularly large quantities of it a physical thing you actually have to pack into a getaway vehicle and carry back to a personal vault to spend later on large purchases. Holy sh!t, that would break every previous gaming convention from the mainstream. There is literally no popular game now that puts a limit on how much bits you can carry aside from a wallet size in Far Cry 3 or Zelda but to literally have to stack up cash and haul it from point A to point B would be visually very satisfying. A lot of us our visual and tactile to a large degree so actually seeing a big stack of mula on a pallet in the back of a van down by the river would make us feel like Scrooge McDuck swimming through the bits vault.

Good idea with actually having to keep your physical money, however I propose a more detailed system.

You can have a 'regular' bank account which can keep up to $10,000, and so you can carry this around with you and spend it as you wish, with the ability to go into a bank branch and deposit more as needs be, up to the $10,000 limit. (Anymore and the bank would get suspicious as to where all the money was coming from). So any purchases up to the value of $10,000 could be conducted just as in past GTAs where it simply deducts it from the amount on screen (in the form of a Debit Card transaction). Any more and you need to go and fetch the money and pay in cash.

However, once you accumulate a significant amount (say $100,000 dollars) you can open up an off-shore account (Swiss, Cayman Islands etc.) and deposit as much money as you want. However you would still need to take the physical cash from jobs to bank branch in Downtown LS. There on in the money again can be used as in previous GTAs where you don't have to carry the cash when you go to buy things (unless you actually want to). This can then keep everyone happy, with the new addition of physical money combined with the ability to buy things without always having to make that trip to where you stash the cash.

Of course on top of this there could be some things which you can ONLY buy with cash, such as illegal weapons etc. This could make the whole experience more realistic.

EDIT: Reading more of the OP I see that this idea had already been raised!

meta187
  • meta187

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:43 AM Edited by meta187, 23 March 2013 - 02:30 PM.

QUOTE (Honest Bill @ Thursday, Mar 21 2013, 03:25)
Of course they should all earn a unique vehicle too. that would be a nice touch

You could definitely apply autonomous items to each character in several categories as we sort of touched on in the Retail Scavenger Hunt section of our intro. Various items that would be character assigned and specifically tailored to the tastes of each of the individual protagonists that they could use and or decorate their domicile with, that would add so much towards taking the generic quality away from each individual person and give you a real feel for who each one of these guys is by the end of the game.

@GarrowsKai: Physical money is still an excellent thing to touch upon regardless of how many times we've mentioned it. Credit Cards with limits on spending and having to produce larger amounts of actual, physical cash for larger purchases adds a whole new legitimate element to what we've seen in the past.

hinti21
  • hinti21

~~<====3

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:11 AM

Timestamps for the different chapters in the next video please (cuz I don't care about the multiplayer smile.gif ).

Cookie 4 the vid -> cookie.gif

thatguy23
  • thatguy23

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:01 AM

What about tolls. Not the ones in IV where you have to drive slowly through, but automatic ones, which instantly take your money. You know you've hit rock bottom when you can't pay a toll.

hinti21
  • hinti21

~~<====3

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

AH, yeah I forgot:

loved that one

user posted image

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

Useful Idiot.

• The Connection

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:50 AM

QUOTE (meta187 @ Saturday, Mar 23 2013, 06:43)
Physical money is still an excellent thing to touch upon regardless of how many times we've mentioned it.

You hit the nail on the head with this. Of all the things we've discussed, this is one of my favourites.

It can appeal to pretty much everyone simply through its diversified use, especially when it's used in conjunction with the old, familiar system of money simply being a number on the screen. Us role-players would love the realism of being able to hand over physical cash and the more eccentric players among us has the convenience of sticking to the old way of just letting it sort itself out. It's a great balance that please people.

Also, the ideas we've talked about, from using it to pay for illegal firearms or dealing with some miscreant who's just stolen your bag, it clearly adds to the game in so many different and exciting ways. If Rockstar take note of this, I think we're in for something special.

------------------------

One thing I've wondered about is how, if at all, the new feature of a fleshed out underwater world can influence our money-making. I know, some of you are probably thinking "What are you banging on about, mate?!", but bear with me.

We know that we can explore the land under the waves, but we have no idea what exactly is down there. Are there hidden caves? Shipwrecks? If so, what is the likelihood that Rockstar have hidden a little something inside these secret places? Knowing them, I think it's safe to say it's quite likely. For instance, say we stumble across a sunken ship, we roam around and eventually find something like a knife or maybe even a map that shows us some sites they were hoping to search thinking they'd find treasure. We then visit these places and finally claim our reward. Again, the balance of the economy could be applied here in that you might find $5000 worth of treasure, but it costs you $3000 to buy the supplies needed. Perhaps that example is a bit steep, I mean, if you're going to that kind of effort it might be nice to get a decent bonus from it, but I'm sure you all understand the principle.

Another idea stems from the image of Trevor on the coastguards jet-ski. I think it's safe to assume that many of us are hoping for the return of the taxi, ambulance, and vigilante missions. So what if this time we have the added presence of the coastguard? When we did the vigilante missions in IV, it was all purely land-based and unfortunately became stale after a while. So this time around just imagine you're chasing a gang of ne'er do wells in a van, the hail of bullets takes out your tire and slows you down giving the thugs enough time to get on to a boat. You look around the dock and see that there's another boat available, you give chase and finally catch them (read: blow them to smithereens). This would help to add longevity to the missions through their more diverse scenarios (hell, I'm sure taking it to the air would be a lovely possibility), and again it adds another way for us to make money.

These ideas aren't spectacular but I'm sure some of the better minds in this place can speculate and suggest some great ideas. So, what do you folks think Rockstar could do with this aspect of the game?

MosquitoSmasher
  • MosquitoSmasher

Moonwalker like MJ

• Members

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:47 PM

Holy cow, i saw the post on the GTA V main site here and decided to check it out. I don't have the time to read through the whole thread though. Awesome that you got Rockstar's recognition. I wonder what that could mean, they probably are so impressed with your ideas that they might actually implement them, i can see that happening.

Either way...i read about a video, but where is the video or is it yet to come? And what will it be about?

Honest Bill
  • Honest Bill

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:41 AM

QUOTE (MosquitoSmasher @ Sunday, Mar 24 2013, 23:47)
Holy cow, i saw the post on the GTA V main site here and decided to check it out. I don't have the time to read through the whole thread though. Awesome that you got Rockstar's recognition. I wonder what that could mean, they probably are so impressed with your ideas that they might actually implement them, i can see that happening.

Either way...i read about a video, but where is the video or is it yet to come? And what will it be about?

They sticky'd it. here you go...

http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=548686

I'm sure you'll agree that Meta's voice is audible chocolate...

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

Lt Phill Bellic

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:00 PM Edited by PhillBellic, 28 March 2013 - 05:02 PM.

@Meta I enjoyed watching your video and hope that Rockstar integrate some of the ideas presented in this thread into GTA V.

In the mean time enjoy this picture I found,

Click Here

Cheers. smile.gif

meta187
  • meta187

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:46 AM

I'm certainly thankful for all the input we've gained over the last few months and in all actuality it literally fueled all the content that's gone into the well received video spin offs. So again, thanks to everyone who participated here. As we move closer to the actual game release in September and also to the final segment of our video series I would like to revisit this topic only to see if people have any last words or ideas they'd like to see us bring up in the final segment that weren't mentioned here or in the episodes.

Two interesting ideas and general feedback that we received this evening were:

QUOTE (Typhus @ Sunday, Apr 28 2013, 01:27)
COMMUNITY LEADER

Basically, my idea for money stems from a desire to 'work around' the lack of property acquisition in GTA V. We know we won't be buying businesses, and that's fine.
But why do we want to buy businesses? Well, that's easy. The player likes to feel like the boss, he likes to feel like a crime Kingpin with a mansion and a chained Tiger on the grounds.
How about if there was a way to simulate this feeling of power even without buying mansions and Tigers?

How about this - let's say Michael has a LOT of money to burn. He strolls through Tehrangeles - LA's Iranian district - and has an encounter with a local businessman. For a large sum of money, Michael can bankroll a festival that will take place in that specific district celebrating the history of the Iranian immigrants who settled there.
The result? Michael will be mentioned both on the in-game internet and newspapers as a 'community figure'.

Let's go a little bit further, shall we?
Let's say that Franklin is wandering around and sees an old church. What if he could use the money he accumulated to refurbish the church? So, after giving the priest a little cash and going away for a few in-game days - you returned and found that it had a new steeple, new stained glass windows and didn't look like the worlds biggest urinal anymore.
Such a monumental act of generosity would have Franklin being mentioned as a 'community leader' - civilians on the street would wave at him. And this would open up new side missions - with ordinary, law-abiding people coming to Franklin for financial help.

But on the opposite side of the fence, let's say that you want a reputation - but as a gangster instead of the shady 'legitimate businessman' image so beloved by Mafia goons everywhere.

We can't buy properties - but perhaps even a small purchase could help along your image as a feared criminal?
Let's say that Trevor murdered a drug dealer as part of a mission, this drug dealer owned some very distinctive jewellery. The player could take a trip down to the city morgue - slip the coroner some money and pocket the drug dealers bling.
And every time Trevor wore it, certain people may whisper at how he killed a man to acquire his newest fashion accessory.

This should come with its own risks however, if Franklin decides to dress like a criminal and walks through the city in a flashy suit, mink coat and sunglasses - the player may find younger criminals attempting to murder him in order to gain status. Or - more gravely - police following them around, waiting for the player to slip up so they can arrest you.

Spending money should not only be fun - it should carry with it certain risks, with extravagant purchases broadcasting your criminal past-times to the entire world.
Using your money to create a positive public image could give the player greater leeway to flout the law and rekindle that sense of being a somebody - without us ever needing to park a sportscar on the steps of our mansion.

and

QUOTE (What!? @ Sunday, Apr 28 2013, 02:18)
lol! I like the addition you stuck on the front of the rTunes segment. Dramatic.

I also really liked the bit about using locations in the game to hide the "secret stash" items. It would also be great if those secret items weren't necessarily always the same item. I mean say you go into a party store and you find a sawn-off shotgun under the counter stashed there in case the place was robbed? - You have secret stash item one. Maybe later on you happen to be using a restroom in an old Italian restaurant and you notice the toilet has "the box with the chain thing" behind it you find a revolver duct taped to the back. - Secret stash item two... etc.

It doesn't always have to be guns, but it would be great if the items you found actually looked like they were left somewhere with a purpose and made sense in the location that you found them in. You as the player just happened to be savvy enough to spot them and make off with some useful merchandise. Guns you can use, drugs you can sell, whatever.

Beyond that I'm huge on the idea of being able to buy sh*t that has nothing to do with the story. I should be able to blow my cash on my guns and vehicles. Merchandise for my home/hideout would be great as well.

I'm certainly all ears at this point on hearing the GTAF Communities input on compelling ways to spend money, so speak now or forever hold your peace. smile.gif

Khaos_Kiwi
  • Khaos_Kiwi

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:01 AM

I'm not sure if this has been said before, but I think it would be good to have more variety in ways to earn money. Most of the criminal money generating activities that have been mentioned such as robbing banks etc all have some sort of physical risk to them.

My idea would be to have other activities such as smuggling (guns/drugs/counterfeit bills/immigrants), human trafficking and kidnapping(ransom), repossessing, illegal gambling (wagers including money, drugs, guns, people etc) and drug manufacturing and distribution.

Now while the smuggling, human trafficking and kidnapping, repossessing and drug distribution can all be manually undertaken by the player- with all the physical risks associated with such endeavors. All the activities listed also have a management style way of carrying out these activities.

Now in conjunction with previous ideas mentioned in this topic concerning "hired goons", this is another area into which they come into play. By having them increase in certain skills through experience in certain activities, they will mean more to the player if they get killed or arrested- but more on that later.

Now each of the three characters specialize in a few of these activities (I'm not 100% on the specifics here- e.g Trevor - immigrants and drug smuggling, Franklin - repo etc). And again the same basic principle applies- bigger risk = bigger reward, the more effort and resources = higher completion %. (Similar principles to trading in Assassins Creed 3 where the areas you had cleared of enemies = less risk of the convoy being attacked. I also really liked how different vendors payed different amounts for different products and had differing tax rates).

So it's about working supply and demand. Particular areas of Los Santos could be in demand for different products. I'll give you guys a quick scenario. Blaine County has an excess of meth stored. You decide to buy some product on the cheap. (Now you can go physically do the purchase yourself, but in this scenario lets just discuss the management aspect a little more). You cycle through your available "henchmen" and decide on 'bleeding' a new recruit- due to it being relatively low risk (could be determined by rival gangs or drug operations in the surrounding area, any recent failed operations due to police intervention, maybe even your recent amount of heat in that area). He goes to pay for and collect the product which takes a pre-determined amount of time (distance from 'base' location, amount of product involved etc). You then get notified by text that the product has arrived at your warehouse (in another circumstance you may receive a phone call with your goon saying he is under attack or has the cops on him, prompting you to go help him out if you so desire). Now you have the product stored safely and can decide to wait until the price (demand) increases or flick it off asap. You notice that a distributor in Rodeo is paying a really good price for meth at the moment, however, you recently performed a bank heist there so there is increased police attention. Not wanting to fail to capitalize on such good prices, you decide to send your best man, along with the recruit, You also choose to hook them both up with bullet proof vests and assault rifles, as well as a custom armored van. So that if things do go south, chances are they might just make the deal. The two manage to sell the product without any hassle but end up under pursuit by the cops, in the van with all that money in it. Thankfully the experience of your best goon meant that they arrived back to the warehouse safely, but it would be a very bad option to deal in Rodeo, at least until the heat cools off.

I feel activities like these would add a lot more ways to earn money and give the player more things to do. It means that, if you personally aren't the best driver or shot, you still have ways to earn the big bucks. It also means that your hired goons aren't just personal followers, they can be put to use and have some actual value. Your main goon who is a pro at buying and selling drugs- when he gets killed or arrested, thats it. He's gone. You now have to send your new recruit out on easy sh*t or personally accompany him- until he gets better. That way, if you lose a goon- it actually means something.

This all just came off the top of my head, and I have probably repeated someone or completely missed out on a particular area but whatever. If anyone has anything they would like to add or further discuss, please go ahead! Just trying to help R* make the best game possible by helping to contribute to an amazing project by Meta and the team - you guys have done great!

swagnessinmyhands
  • swagnessinmyhands

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:04 AM Edited by Vanzant, 28 April 2013 - 07:36 AM.

------

Billy james
  • Billy james

Boss

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:06 AM

Why hasn't he been banned yet

Mpower
  • Mpower

OJ

• Members
  • United-Nations

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:09 AM

QUOTE (billy james @ Sunday, Apr 28 2013, 09:06)

We get it man, you said it like 10 times on other threads rolleyes.gif

Billy james
  • Billy james

Boss

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:15 AM

QUOTE (Mpower @ Sunday, Apr 28 2013, 18:09)

Well sorry If it pissing me off angry.gif angry.gif

Mpower
  • Mpower

OJ

• Members
  • United-Nations

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:16 AM

QUOTE (billy james @ Sunday, Apr 28 2013, 09:15)
QUOTE (Mpower @ Sunday, Apr 28 2013, 18:09)

Well sorry If it pissing me off angry.gif angry.gif

I bet you enjoyed looking at those gifs lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users